Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Can I use your powder photo?

Another maggot and I are hanging out a shingle, and opening a ski rental business. I need photos of people skiing pow. for the pamphlet/website. Can I use your photos.? While, I can't compensate you, I am happy to give you credit by including, "Photo by..." under the pic.
    Please give us permission to use a photo by posting a it (a pow shot here). Thanks in advance.

Do you want snowboard photos or just ski?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

We're renting skis. Other than for personal enjoyment, I have no use for photos of snowboarding.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    You can use this one of the Icegrom but only if you photoshop the pmgear logo over the public enema tips
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

i got permission to use maggot photos for my site. i think its a good idea and i'm sure some will help you out. good luck.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Let me know if this works for you. I'd like the watermark to stay on the photos. You're allowed to use them for anything related to the ski rental business, including printing on a pamplet and displaying on your website, as long as credit is given. You are allowed to make prints up to 4x6" in size, no bigger please.

(Might also have to talk to reidresko (sp?) cause he's obviously visible on it and I don't have a model release)

You can have this one as well. Same as above. Before you use it, let me place a watermark on it (no Photoshop here at work, will do it at home tonight):

Yes I *AM* showing off the only 2 cool pics I have
    Last edited by Bernardo; 11-06-2008 at 10:29 AM.

^^^ Why would you give away your photos, especially if you fancy yourself a real photographer?

Schlinderpiste, unless you also plan to ask if anyone will provide free printing of your brochure, or donate equipment for you to rent, how about assigning an actual value to good photos that will promote your business?

At least you can offer contra as payment, such as a free rental that a maggot can give to a friend or family member.

(And your previous thread about just using people's photos without asking was truly offensive.)

Exactly because I *don't* fancy myself a real photographer yet, because I give away the rights to use the photo at a certain resolution but not to print or sell it, and because with the watermark on it and "Photo by" I might just get a little extra visits on my page

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    (And your previous thread about just using people's photos without asking was truly offensive.)
    I did *NOT* see that thread ... might have to reconsider ....

You're welcome to use this one from Niseko, Japan:

As long as you credit the skier (me) the photog (wifey) and send me a copy of the pamphlet. (I know it's not a "classic" powder shot, but something about the flow of the snow over me and the framing of it makes it my favorite picture. Let me know if you need it full size.)
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

You know, the odds of you ever selling a photo in the future become less and less as more and more people seem willing to give away photos when they are starting out, in the hopes it will pay off for them later.

But carry on, I've been on this rant for 15 years, so don't anyone take it personally.

You know, the odds of you ever selling a photo in the future become less and less as more and more people seem willing to give away photos when they are starting out, in the hopes it will pay off for them later.

But carry on, I've been on this rant for 15 years, so don't anyone take it personally.
    Hehe ... you're not the only one on that rant, I talked to many photographers and seen many articles by photographers on exactly this subject. I'm personally still torn about the subject, but might remove my pics from this thread nonetheless....

You can use any of these:

They are all of me, and the photog is Angel Demarco

feel free to use any photo posted in any of my TRs
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Here's some Praxis pow boards in action:

You can use any of mine....if you find anything worthy. Here is one of my favorite pow shots.

Donjoy to the World!

^^^ Why would you give away your photos, especially if you fancy yourself a real photographer?

Schlinderpiste, unless you also plan to ask if anyone will provide free printing of your brochure, or donate equipment for you to rent, how about assigning an actual value to good photos that will promote your business?

At least you can offer contra as payment, such as a free rental that a maggot can give to a friend or family member.

If I had an decent photos I wouldn't hesitate to "give them away" for a maggot business, because it is what maggots do. As for contra payment, people like Dibs have given more to this collective already then most ever will.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    We're renting skis. Other than for personal enjoyment, I have no use for photos of snowboarding.
    Well here you go then. This is me on Teton Pass on the morning commute. Feel free to use it if you start renting boards. I don't know how to make it bigger.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

feel free to browse my other galleries and see if there is anything you want.... i can send you higher res copies if you want.
    smile when you are going down, it looks more graceful
    dobish.blogspot.com Dynafit & O1 Adapter or AXL/2nd Ski Kit Sandwich Blog

Sorry for offending anyone...of course. When one lacks knowledge, one asks questions (no matter how stupid). Thanks for those who are contributing. (S_S, I was going to pm you regarding some of those awesome Canyons shots). There's always hook-ups. Beer, demos, etc. Dibs hooked all you guys up with free BRO demos and tunes for a long while. I'm not able to pay $30/photo.

How about this:

photocredit to Powder Cowboy

or

photocredit to Powder Cowboy

or this?
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

cause i like this one...
    smile when you are going down, it looks more graceful
    dobish.blogspot.com Dynafit & O1 Adapter or AXL/2nd Ski Kit Sandwich Blog

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    I have good feelings about these guys, and wish them well. So I held back on my initial reaction... which was to chastise harshly.

It's sad that you didn't offer a bone, of at least some type of service in kind for the photos you want to use. I have no problem working for a business if they can't afford my rates for time and talent. BUT... unless your business is a non profit, you need to provide some kind of hookup in kind. If it's not some type of goods or services in kind, then it should be something over and above what you are doing for other mags, friends and family, etc.

I know how hard it is to start and sustain a small business, but photography should be part of your advertising budget in some way. Offer some service or hook up in kind - cash is not always necessary. I have been blessed to have many clients short on money but long on gratitude, who have extended hookups whenever and wherever they could. They have a business partner for life because they didn't try to take advantage of me at any point. Believe me when I tell you, these relationships are GOLD for both parties.

I would also counsel you to be careful of using photos offered by the people in the pictures and not the photographer. A person depicted in a photo has some rights as to how a photo is used if they did not sign a release. However, they do not own the rights to sell them or give them away for commercial purposes. You could find yourself in a world of trouble or forced to pay much more than you bargained for going down that route.

A word of advice for photographers, just start your own website and promote it. You don't need to give things away to get exposure. Giving away things for nothing starts your business model off wrong.

Again, I wish you guys well and I hope you consider what I've written.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.