Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    i had great transactions with goodenuf and nfp158. posted accordingly in their profiles.

http://tetongravity.com/forums/member.php?u=17810
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/member.php?u=12710
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Excellent idea. When looking a Jqualls ^^^ profile, I noticed there is someone with the name "Dick Waver" on here. Do you think that's a man or a woman?
    My INLAWS are OUTLAWS.

Ha - your guess is as good as mine.

Another solid transaction for me with skideeppow...details posted in his profile.

http://tetongravity.com/forums/member.php?u=1246
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

First: do not accept paypal as a seller in a sketch situation. the buyer can retract the money claiming the item never arrived, and paypal CAN and WILL take the money directly out of your bank account up to two months later! the burden is on the seller to prove the item arrived. system is fukt!

second: great idea for profile feedback.

I just left asianguy63 feedback on his profile. Hope this is a trend we can see more and more of.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

just left theDon a pm on his pro. great seller~

Another way to beat scammers

Hey Guys, brand new as in joined today. Read the forums before but never commented, have to sell some gear so I joined up.

This is what I do when I'm using Craigslist, and it takes less than 5 minutes, and if the buyer/seller won't agree to it they are 100% scam artists.

Its a little 19th century invention called the Telephone.

Talk to the person, live, hear their voice. You normally can smell bullshit right there. Some people have gotten real good at internet scamming, using a keyboard. Most of them however, can't even speak english or sometimes they can't even speak decent "engrish" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engrish

I would like to say though, for a noob, love the site. Please keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Advres, back in may we had a pm discussion about the board software having a function that allows for forum rating similar to ebay. That combined with the comment section showing who has left feedback (i.e. jong scammers or long term mags) can show a track record of what's gone down around here. I still feel that it could be a beneficial thing.

Gonzo, thanks for the heads up. I'm not around here so much anymore. I decided to buy a house and am broke at the moment.

edit: something like this http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...feedback+score
    The Subaru Legacy GT forum I'm on use vbulletin's itrader system.

Feedback from buyer and seller is linked to the thread where the gear was posted. Feedback is positive/neutral/negative and allows for comments; it's very ebay like. I'm definitely more comfortable when dealing with a long time poster that also has a good itrader feedback rating.

I vote for itrader rather than a star system or posting in someone's profile. It's an idea whose time came a long time ago.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    First: do not accept paypal as a seller in a sketch situation. the buyer can retract the money claiming the item never arrived, and paypal CAN and WILL take the money directly out of your bank account up to two months later! the burden is on the seller to prove the item arrived. system is fukt!

Thanks for this heads up! I had no clue this could happen and have sold a lot of stuff via Paypal. Seems they increase their fees every time I turn around and this is yet another reason not to use them.

O/P's idea is a great one!

So what are we doing when we have a shitty transaction with someone? If you post it in their profile they'll just delete it? Had tons of great transactions here but the last one was shady, took way too long, got 10 different stories, had to file a paypal dispute (cause if you don't file one before 30 days you're screwed), and then the skis finally came a month and a half later (when they promised to ship the next day) and they had a couple extra mounts on them than they stated when I asked them. They said one mount -- they had three

Someone above mentioned listing feedback on the sale thread but if the seller is shitty they'll just delete the thread

Quote Originally Posted by bobski View Post
    Let ebay be ebay and TGR be TGR.
    So I'm new to the bay area and forum but want to buy another pair of skis. Like you, I also dislike responding with trash just to increase post counts. So why not use ebay as ghetto escrow?

Ex: Noob like me with legit ebay rating buys from other TGR members via quick auction posting and immediate "buy it now" option for the price. Noob pays through ebay/paypal and picks up the ebay tab.

Beat the scammers Swap the gear

I have a friend that is wanting to try his hand at making some gear and needs a source for 1040 cordura nylon. Anyone know were a person could purchase some in various colors?

This has turned out to be a good idea in my opinion. Great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post

I wouldnt recommend not using paypal... it is the most legit way of paying (in my experiences) just take extra precautions when dealing with potential sketchy situations. ship with tracking and insurance, and signature confirmation, so that if a claim is filed, you can prove that the buyer recieved the item

I'm sure there are a lot of programmers on here that could build something using algos that would take into consideration an average sketchfactor based off of comments that TGR receives from members after a transaction is complete(buyer/seller comments). That info could be fed into the system by the new intern as their initiation to TGR and it would flash their sketchiness factor when you hit it. It would make members strive to become more unsketchy hence making the gear swap more honest.

Like this idea, used it today.

Quote Originally Posted by spankthepow View Post
    good idea, this is a recent PM I recieved...

guy has 0 posts, looks like they(scammers) are trying to make sure you are legit by "enquiring" about you. haven't seen this approach before.
    As a person who is new to this forum and does not know any users who can vouch for him I would like to point out that these scammers are often easily identified by the rhetoric and spelling that they use. For example "cheques" is the British spelling of the word, Americans use the "Checks" spelling. The language is also vague, boilerplate, obviously a template cut/past for many messages. "prefer reaching you through these facilities" come on... who says that. "yours interestingly"???? Seems like when payment is brought up immediately as it might be a red flag it usually is. Craigslist has a great section on avoiding scams that everyone who buy/sells online should read. Also be aware of the fake paypal e-mails they use... always check your personal paypal account, not a link in an email, when your expecting money transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    As a person who is new to this forum and does not know any users who can vouch for him I would like to point out that these scammers are often easily identified by the rhetoric and spelling that they use. For example "cheques" is the British spelling of the word, Americans use the "Checks" spelling. The language is also vague, boilerplate, obviously a template cut/past for many messages. "prefer reaching you through these facilities" come on... who says that. "yours interestingly"???? Seems like when payment is brought up immediately as it might be a red flag it usually is. Craigslist has a great section on avoiding scams that everyone who buy/sells online should read. Also be aware of the fake paypal e-mails they uses... always check your personal paypal account, not a link in an email, when your expecting money transfers.
    Sorry I am new to this and obviously clumsy using the forum. This is the quote i intended to comment on:
    Hello

I am interested in buying the Marz DJ 3 fork that you have placed for sell now, and I would want to enquire about the present condition of the above mentioned, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last asking price as I will be paying with a certified cheque or money order.

Lastly, please forward to me your full company's (or house address, telephone and fax) details as I will subsequently prefer reaching you through these facilities.

Yours interestingly, [name]

If a forum member has been a shitty participant in gear swap, does karma demand that they not be sold to in the future? https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...=1#post3151037

I have a whole fleet of skis to sell, but I cannot make a thread, can someone help me out?
    Here is a link to the thread on Newschoolers for validity:
    https://www.newschoolers.com/forum/t...ale-New---Demo

Thanks!

Pay the PayPal Fees and ask for an Invoice with new members

With all the new members in GS I recommend insisting on an Invoice with PayPal.
    Forget doing Family + Friends because you'll have no recourse unless you can knock on their door.
    Pay the fees. It's worth it.

Also please make sure you get detailed photos of every part of the item. I bought a jacket the seller didn't disclose it had a large mark/stain which can not be removed. The seller claims he all but forgot about it...in a pigs eye he forgot. There were also stains on a cuff which were hidden in the photos he sent me. After 2 washes it's they still show.
    I also blame my self for being too trusting....never again.

Long story short I was able to open a complaint with PayPal's Resolution department and we worked out an agreement.

Good luck

Has anyone dealt with ma0d76 before? He sent money for some boots I listed, but there's been several red flags so far. He claims to have purchased gear on here before but has 0 posts in the forum. Something tells me I should just refund the money and run.

Quote Originally Posted by epoo719 View Post
    Has anyone dealt with ma0d76 before? He sent money for some boots I listed, but there's been several red flags so far. He claims to have purchased gear on here before but has 0 posts in the forum. Something tells me I should just refund the money and run.
    As long as his address is listed in the paypalpayment, insure the package and pay for the signature option should be fine. I sell to a lot of people I don’t know

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    As long as his address is listed in the paypalpayment, insure the package and pay for the signature option should be fine. I sell to a lot of people I don’t know
    That's one of the red flags. The address in the paypal payment doesn't match where he told me to send it.