Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best *bum jobs - evening, night, weekends...

So, I wanna quit my corporate job sometime next year.
    Gonna pay off my car, buy all the gear I can, save some money, and kick it.

I want to focus on training MMA all day long, and climb & mountain bike when I don't train. Then ski all day in the winter, preferably being able to take off Monday-Friday and being back in town on weekends.

So... what's the best job to fit this dream?

Waiter, bar tender, bus driver, taxi driver, drug dealer?
    I'm sure the maggot collective has *some* experience in this field ... c'mon!

Oh, the other option *could* be not to quit my corporate job, instead cut back to 2x 10h days, say Monday & Tuesday, and play the rest of the week. Would probably get paid better (~$25/h). I guess putting it that way kinda answers the question huh...

-b

Get a job at gym jones.

Hugh Conway Guest
    .gigolo.

Bartending.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

waiting or bussing tables. 100 bucks a night usually either way. Id add some weed selling on the side if you got buddies who grow or just have a shitload of pot coming through their hands. You add the weed and you work less selling food. Did it for years but i had buddies who grew and got it fronted to me. Not sure how the weed slanging business is these days. I was selling by the 1/4 lb or ounce and got it for 250 an oz. Sold it for 300-325 an oz one stop shopping. So it was a matter of picking it up and dropping it off.

I use to do the bust table thing and you get tipped out by all waitors and bartenders while doing the above. Its all about running food, keeping the customer filled with drinks and taking their dishes off table and from the bar. I went to waitor after that but that pretty much sucks. Too much responsibility for another 50-100 a night. Id rather be out back getting high with the cooks then busting my ass 2 hours, get high with cooks again...

So there ya go...

oh and im in IT now...but if you can get a bartending gig, big bucks. Especially if you get a little experience and get in a new establishment. Or if you in a city, barback and work your way up. Although busy bars pretty hard to get bartending gig at, they make too much money and the bartenders never leave.

Deal drugs,steal shit and squat in foreclosed homes.

What about grant-writing or chicken farming?

I think this is the big question. If anyone knows a decent job with short hours and great pay that is legal...everyone wants to know what it is!
    (and good luck w/ your plan, sounds like a good one that we all should do for at least a while in our lives)

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Bartending is a good gig depending on where your at dealing with drunks can grow old fast. Waiting tables is good better hours similiar money and your not stuck behind the bar. It's cool you have he mma thing going as it is easy to fall into the working nights, pocket full of $$$, good friends, party till the sun comes up lifestyle.
    A night time janitorial business or other night business working for yourself would be good $$. Good luck pursue the life you want.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I always wanted to move to south lake tahoe and be a professional gambler by night, snowboarder by day. Wouldn't be a bad gig. I'm not bad at gambling but I have an addictive personality so it might have been a bad choice. Plus I had no startup capital.

I was a bartender for about 4 years and it was great. I made almost 50K and rode almost every day. I miss it but it wasn't the healthiest thing. You start drinking and popping pills just so you can stand dealing with the drunks at the bar, even when they are your friends. It's not for everyone. Luckily my bar closed pretty early so I got enough sleep to make first chair on pow days still.

I didn't make bad money working in a ski shop either and it's pretty f-ing easy.

Best bum Jobs. Well that one were they wash windows at the lights looks like fun. At least your moving unlike the ones who just sit on the sidewalk passed out with a sign and a change can.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

2nd shift bell man at a fancy resort.
    Mad tips, yo!

deliver pizza.
    In between deliveries you can sell 1/8s and 1/4s of weed.
    Stoners need pizza and bong hits.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

cut back on your current job and play more.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    cut back on your current job and play more.
    Yah, it sounds like the best option ... Cutting back to 20h/week gives me a shitload of extra time to play, and I still get paid way more than any other job I might find. Although it won't be as flexible timewise - can't work in the evenings or weekends only for example....

hot tub/jacuzzi tech...
    cruise around add chems and water.,,,,,
    $$$$$$$$$$easy$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    seriously not nearly as gross as you would think
    once again $$$$$$ez$$$$$$

Front desk manager/supervisor/employee at a hotel or (even better) property management comp - 2nd or even 3rd shift. Cake job...go in sometime between 1 and 4 PM and off earlier than a bartender. Not quite as social as waiting tables or tending bar but better hours and less hangovers for riding the next day.

grow the weed. sell the weed. takes maybe $300-500 startup, 100 day turnaround. do it in cali, get a growers license and its even legal.

theoretically its a great idea. theoretically.

I would sell blood and semen
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

You could work at Goldminer's Daughter. Free Ski, Free Housing, Free Meals, and a monthly salary. Great gig

http://www.skigmd.com/Employment.html
    "Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

I'm sure the GMD has some tough kids and prolly a few fights over the season, but I don't think they've ever produced UFC champs ...

I'm guessing if you're going to train full-time you won't have time in the winter to ski all day long unless you live damn close to the mountains - and even then you'll probably be just want to recover inbetween training sessions. I was pulling two and three a days last summer, MT in the AM and MT and/or no-gi in the evenings, and inbetween was tough to be too productive!

As far as job that gets you a pass but the most time to ski, if you can get the job as the desk guy in the lesson department you're golden. I had to work on Saturday AM, from about 7AM til 10AM or so, and was done. Easy, easy easy shit, and still had all the benefits of working there - employee shuttle bus, full time pass, etc. Of course that's only an option if you've saved up money to pay the bills, which it sounds like you're already planning for by paying off car, etc. If you're still going to need $ to survive it sounds like you've answered your own Q, take the two 10 hour days and train/play the rest of the time!

If you have skills and don't want to be dirt ass poor while skiing 4-6 days a week... IT is the way to go if you find the right gig.

If you have less skills, but still have maturity, dedication, and the stomach for it: FIREFIGHTER. Ski 4-5 days a week. The other 2-3 you sit on a LazyBoy, polish chrome knobs, and BBQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

For winter I was recently offered the passenger seat 'job' in one of the salt spraying road ploughs in my town. Four hours a day over two shifts: 4am-6am then 4pm-6pm. $40 per day.

The job requires me to sit in the passenger seat.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Mt_Dreamin View Post
    I'm guessing if you're going to train full-time you won't have time in the winter to ski all day long unless you live damn close to the mountains - and even then you'll probably be just want to recover inbetween training sessions. I was pulling two and three a days last summer, MT in the AM and MT and/or no-gi in the evenings, and inbetween was tough to be too productive!
    I obviously have to reconsider my priorities and look into what I *really* want. Skiing & MMA aren't exactly compatible with each other, except for the conditioning factor. But, my rough outline would be:

o Train 5-6h/day M-F during Spring, Summer, & Fall (I train 3-4h/day on a 9-5 corporate schedule so I know I can handle it). Use the weekends for recovery & recreation: ski mountaineering in spring, biking & climbing in summer.
    o Cut back during the winter season, train only 3 days/week or so, depending on snow conditions. Storm of the decade? Skip a whole week of training... No snow for a month? Keep training.

Would obviously need to work out the details, but once I get started I think I'd easily fall into this routine and would love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    If you have skills and don't want to be dirt ass poor while skiing 4-6 days a week... IT is the way to go if you find the right gig.

If you have less skills, but still have maturity, dedication, and the stomach for it: FIREFIGHTER. Ski 4-5 days a week. The other 2-3 you sit on a LazyBoy, polish chrome knobs, and BBQ.
    Yah, Firefighter is something I've been thinking about for a long time. The hours are great, decent pay, great benefits, like you said work 2 days, play 5 das, great & fun job on top of that (some of the time...). Only real problem - difficult to get if you're not 100% dedicated to it. Could be done though, might consider it in the long run.

IT could also be an idea, although I swore off ever working in IT again. Was a system admin for 2 years in a small business, fun some of the time, tedious and frustrating most of the time. I currently work in Software though, so I might be able to pull something off in that field ... maybe contractor, telecommuting, some shit like that...