Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: WHALE WARS - the new Deadliest Catch/Ice Road Truckers?

WHALE WARS - the new Deadliest Catch/Ice Road Truckers?

Looks pretty cool.
    Damn Japanese - Let's get 'em!

WAR WHALES!!!

Starts this Friday, I think? Sometime soon...Animal Planet...
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

How do they get 'em to fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Huckable View Post
    Looks pretty cool.

WAR WHALES!!!

why do you hate the Japanese?? It really is a warzone out there..

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Huckable View Post
    Looks pretty cool.

WAR WHALES!!!

This show is about a 9 on the unintentional comedy scale. A bunch of hippies who can't take direction from anyone trying to combat Japanese whaling vessels near Antarctica. I particularly enjoyed the episode where they attempt to launch a strike at dusk on a Japanese ship. The hippies all pile into a raft and they're off. It gets dark, they get lost and a shit show ensues. The dumbasses in the raft forget that they have a GPS and a SAT phone to figure out how to get back to the main boat. The hippies on the big ship end up contacting the Japanese boat they intended to attack for help finding their shipmates. Fucking classic.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    This show is about a 9 on the unintentional comedy scale. A bunch of hippies who can't take direction from anyone trying to combat Japanese whaling vessels near Antarctica. I particularly enjoyed the episode where they attempt to launch a strike at dusk on a Japanese ship. The hippies all pile into a raft and they're off. It gets dark, they get lost and a shit show ensues. The dumbasses in the raft forget that they have a GPS and a SAT phone to figure out how to get back to the main boat. The hippies on the big ship end up contacting the Japanese boat they intended to attack for help finding their shipmates. Fucking classic.
    Holy shit that's hilarious. Sounds like some Berkeley undergrads I know.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

i agree, 9/10 for unintentional comedy. Did you see the first episode where they flipped the zodiac when they were launching it? what about when they put a dent in the helicopter's blade.

My personal favorite was when they had two of their crew board the Japanese ship(an act of piracy), then immediately call all the news outlets and claim that the japanese were holding two of their crew hostage...fucking classic

the captain is a certifiable nutjob, too extreme for Greenpeace and comes off as a self righteous prick who sends others into harms way.

the opening clip of a whale getting harpooned is pretty cool too.

One of the best shows on tv. I hope the show will bring them more money it looks like they need it. It appears that next week he (Irwin) is going to try to get some more ship boarders I can't wait. They need some more ideas on disabling a ship I think.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

After watching the first few episodes, I'm now watching rooting for the Japanese. I wanted the Japanese to toss that guy off their boat when he jumped on board. Would have been 100% justified in doing so in my mind... afterall it's still piracy.

Boarding the Japanese ship and then crying "hostage situation" had me :rofl:ing. The footage of these goons climbing aboard the Japanese ship is priceless. I'm surprised they didn't punch themselves in the face while on the ship to make it seem as if the Japs were torturing them.

I thought it was funny how the one Japanese 'spy' ship kept following them and then radio'ing their location. Then they try covert ops to try and sneak attack a giant ship and intimidate it. :rofl: The big Jap ship was all "i'm not touching you, you can't touch me". Seems like the hippies couldn't keep their cool.

What should be scary though is how brainwashed those people seem. It's like they have a mandate from god or something and are willing to do whatever it takes to get this done.
    Quote Originally Posted by IrieRon View Post
    I totally agree.

What skiing today really needs is way less stink-eye backcountry disrespect, and way more face-punching.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    One of the best shows on tv. I hope the show will bring them more money it looks like they need it. It appears that next week he (Irwin) is going to try to get some more ship boarders I can't wait. They need some more ideas on disabling a ship I think.
    I enjoy the show. Think this was the same boat National Geographic did a story on a few years back. They've sunk some ships and damaged some. Pretty cool in my opinion.
    Huck the Joneses.

I would like this show if they condensed four episodes into one. as it is it moves so slow.

The whole thing seems like a weird loophole in the law, i would not say the whalers are morally right, but as it is, they are operating legally.

and fuck the captain, he seems like the biggest douche in the world. I was cracking up after in one episode he said "these groups that just take pictures are doing nothing, pictures are are worthless" then in the next episode "well ya know, photographs are really our greatest weapon" as a whole the sea Shepard operation appears to be very amateur
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

the funniest part was definitely when they launch the zodiac to hide behind a glacier and ambush the japanese ship but the forget the phone so they haev to go back and think their ambush is going to fail and then all that happens is they ride next to the ship for a while and wave at the crew....

oh and also how they get an anonymous call about where the whaling fleet is but it was definitely the boat sent to follow them that called it in
    Talking shit about a pretty sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    You had to be there, dude. It was fucking scary out there. But I wouldn't expect anyone as stupid as you to commit to such a worthy cause.
    It ain't over yet. Obama was born in Kenya, according to his own past testimony, his biographer's testimony, his grandmother's testimony, and that of his cousin. Furthermore, Kenya has sealed BHO's records.

Why do Kenyan records of Obama exist? He was born in HI, right? It gets so much thicker than this, though.

The Supreme Court has given Barack has until Dec 1st to give up the goods.

-BSS, I pruned this to exactly 500 characters to show everyone how stupid you are.

Quote Originally Posted by nick > jesus View Post
    I would like this show if they condensed four episodes into one. as it is it moves so slow.

The whole thing seems like a weird loophole in the law, i would not say the whalers are morally right, but as it is, they are operating legally.

and fuck the captain, he seems like the biggest douche in the world. I was cracking up after in one episode he said "these groups that just take pictures are doing nothing, pictures are are worthless" then in the next episode "well ya know, photographs are really our greatest weapon" as a whole the sea Shepard operation appears to be very amateur
    heh. i've only seen previews, but it appears that their primary weapon is water balloons.

i think they to grow a pair, buy a submarine from some ex-soviet bloc satellite, and actually do something. you know, just quit fucking around. either that or quit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

Quote Originally Posted by squatch View Post
    heh. i've only seen previews, but it appears that their primary weapon is water balloons.

i think they to grow a pair, buy a submarine from some ex-soviet bloc satellite, and actually do something. you know, just quit fucking around. either that or quit.
    stink bombs, they claim that they can make the deck bearable for three days, and they try to get shit tangled in the propeller.

over all, they are full of fail

i definitely find myself rooting for the japanese. that captain paul character is a douche and a half. and his little lackeys running around doing his bidding are almost as hilarious.

my favorite quote: "the captain is too busy saving whales to deal with any of these people problems"

I haven't seen this show yet. Judging from the above reviews maybe the hippies could use some pointers from the Somali pirates that have a fondness for hijacking oil tankers?
    If you had a nickel for every nickel he has, you would have a lot of fuckin' nickels!

They need a faster bigger boat. Nice of the Red Hot Chili Peppers to pony up $100,000. Eating endangered animals is kind of lame, no.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

The navy they are not. That's for sure. I think it is cool what they are attempting to do, but it amazes me that a crew like that can even sail that far, much less attempt a mission.

For season 2 I think Captain Sig from Deadliest Catch should go on the boat and get the hippies in line. He would toss the douchebag 2nd mate overboard in 4 seconds.
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.

Watson is an egotist and a nut-job, however I am on the whales side. Although I would concede that indigenous native tribal types are probably ok with a bit of subsistence whale hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    They need some more ideas on disabling a ship I think.

They had more balls back in the day!

Sea Shepherd found the Sierra and chased it into the port of Leixoes. Captain Watson rammed the Sierra twice in harbor, tearing the hull open to the waterline and forcing the ship into port for repairs. After a million dollars of uninsured repairs, the Sierra was sunk by Sea Shepherd operatives in Lisbon harbor in Portugal on February 6, 1980. Sea Shepherd permanently retired the pirate whaler Sierra and prevented anymore whales from being taken by her.

That same month, Sea Shepherd operatives sank two Spanish whalers in to the port of Vigo, Spain, (Ibsa I and Ibsa II)after Spain refused to comply with quota regulations on fin whales.

Also in 1980, working in cooperation with the government of South Africa, Sea Shepherd assisted in the seizure of the pirate whalers Susan and Theresa. The ships were taken out to sea and deliberately scuttled by the South African Navy.

Sea Shepherd successfully shut down all pirate whaling operations in the North Atlantic within a year after a dozen years of failure by the International Whaling Commission. The IWC has no enforcement division to insure its laws are upheld.

We had taken six whalers out of operation but lost the Sea Shepherd when it was taken from us by a judge without a hearing or a trial after he took a bribe from the Sierra's owners. To keep the Sea Shepherd from being converted to a whaler, Captain Watson scuttled his own ship in Leixoes harbor on the first day of January, 1980.

1986, Sea Shepherd engineers Rod Coronado and David Howitt arrived in Iceland and scuttled two of the four Icelandic whaling ships at dockside. They also destroyed the whale meat processing plant in Iceland.

Iceland vessels scuttled

In January 1988, Captain Paul Watson flew to Iceland to accept responsibility for the sinking of the ships. The Icelandic government refused to lay charges because Iceland knew that a trial would expose their illegal operations.

The Sea Shepherd actions in Iceland permanently retired two of their whaling ships and cost the whaling company more money than they have been able to recover in 19 years. It was an economic defeat for the whale killers.

Before his quick exit, Sea Shepherd agent managed to
    snap a picture of the sea-cock he just opened to sink the
    illegal vessel in port.

In 1992, Sea Shepherd focused its efforts on opposing illegal commercial whaling by Norway. The day after Christmas, a Sea Shepherd crew led by Captain Paul Watson sank the illegally-operated Norwegian whaler Nybraena in the Lofoten Islands in Northern Norway.

In January 1994, a Sea Shepherd crew scuttled the illegal Norwegian whaler Senet in harbor in Southern Norway.

The Whales Forever was rammed by the Norwegian destroyer Andenes, fired upon, and had two depth charges deployed under the hull. Although suffering significant damage, the Whales Forever prevented the Norwegians from boarding and returned to the Shetland Islands having severely embarrassed the Norwegian authorities. More importantly, international media attention was brought to bear on the illegality of Norwegian whaling.

In 1998, the illegal Norwegian whaler Morild, owned by the most notorious whale killer in Norway - Stienar Bastesen - was sunk.
    Gone fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Watson is an egotist and a nut-job, however I am on the whales side. Although I would concede that indigenous native tribal types are probably ok with a bit of subsistence whale hunting.

They had more balls back in the day!

Sea Shepherd found the Sierra and chased it into the port of Leixoes. Captain Watson rammed the Sierra twice in harbor, tearing the hull open to the waterline and forcing the ship into port for repairs. After a million dollars of uninsured repairs, the Sierra was sunk by Sea Shepherd operatives in Lisbon harbor in Portugal on February 6, 1980. Sea Shepherd permanently retired the pirate whaler Sierra and prevented anymore whales from being taken by her.

That same month, Sea Shepherd operatives sank two Spanish whalers in to the port of Vigo, Spain, (Ibsa I and Ibsa II)after Spain refused to comply with quota regulations on fin whales.

Also in 1980, working in cooperation with the government of South Africa, Sea Shepherd assisted in the seizure of the pirate whalers Susan and Theresa. The ships were taken out to sea and deliberately scuttled by the South African Navy.

Sea Shepherd successfully shut down all pirate whaling operations in the North Atlantic within a year after a dozen years of failure by the International Whaling Commission. The IWC has no enforcement division to insure its laws are upheld.

We had taken six whalers out of operation but lost the Sea Shepherd when it was taken from us by a judge without a hearing or a trial after he took a bribe from the Sierra's owners. To keep the Sea Shepherd from being converted to a whaler, Captain Watson scuttled his own ship in Leixoes harbor on the first day of January, 1980.

1986, Sea Shepherd engineers Rod Coronado and David Howitt arrived in Iceland and scuttled two of the four Icelandic whaling ships at dockside. They also destroyed the whale meat processing plant in Iceland.

Iceland vessels scuttled

In January 1988, Captain Paul Watson flew to Iceland to accept responsibility for the sinking of the ships. The Icelandic government refused to lay charges because Iceland knew that a trial would expose their illegal operations.

The Sea Shepherd actions in Iceland permanently retired two of their whaling ships and cost the whaling company more money than they have been able to recover in 19 years. It was an economic defeat for the whale killers.

Before his quick exit, Sea Shepherd agent managed to
    snap a picture of the sea-cock he just opened to sink the
    illegal vessel in port.

In 1992, Sea Shepherd focused its efforts on opposing illegal commercial whaling by Norway. The day after Christmas, a Sea Shepherd crew led by Captain Paul Watson sank the illegally-operated Norwegian whaler Nybraena in the Lofoten Islands in Northern Norway.

In January 1994, a Sea Shepherd crew scuttled the illegal Norwegian whaler Senet in harbor in Southern Norway.

The Whales Forever was rammed by the Norwegian destroyer Andenes, fired upon, and had two depth charges deployed under the hull. Although suffering significant damage, the Whales Forever prevented the Norwegians from boarding and returned to the Shetland Islands having severely embarrassed the Norwegian authorities. More importantly, international media attention was brought to bear on the illegality of Norwegian whaling.

In 1998, the illegal Norwegian whaler Morild, owned by the most notorious whale killer in Norway - Stienar Bastesen - was sunk.

Now thats what I want to watch. Arrrrr
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

that would be way more exciting

I prefer watching nondouchebag hippies on TV thanks very much
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I prefer watching nondouchebag hippies on TV thanks very much
    There is such a thing as a nondouchebag hippie?