TR: Fawn Ridge, near Crystal Mtn

Quick recap (since I'm tired)-

Slogged up 2,300+ vertical of fireroad fun to reach the downhill portion of trail 1183 (Fawn Ridge/Lower Sun Top). The climb wasn't so bad and the views were damn near amazing as you cut back and forth along traverses of Sun Top Mountain. The first 3 miles to the fire gate were fast and ego building. Upon reaching 5.9 miles, the road takes a sharp- "this is really gonna suck" steep turn for two looooooonggggg switchbacks.

Here's a view heading up

Check out the vistas on the way down. This trail starts off with a few gnarly switchbacks (full of loose dirt/sand) and some serious exposure on each bend. Not exactly for those with vertigo issues.
    Here's where it finally levels off after dropping about 800 vert.

At the top, the trail takes a dive into the thick "Ewok type Forest"
    (photo shot at 3pm and still not too much light!)

Lots of zippy single track, but at times really gave the front brakes a workout as there were quite a few blind turns, dips and drop offs. Some surprising short uphill grunts near the bottom- but the trail winds up back in the dense forest layers providing a challenging creek crossing (the large boulder/log actually meet much closer together than they look in the picture) followed by short section of tight bmx hills that make for some very small air time.

More zippy track before the boulders and small rock gardens come back into play

Good to see you gettin' some. Was it cloudy down there? it was freaking blazing sun up here, good time to go for the first cross country ride i've been on in a month!
    smoke crack and worship satan

Originally posted by White Chocolate
    Good to see you gettin' some. Was it cloudy down there? it was freaking blazing sun up here, good time to go for the first cross country ride i've been on in a month!
    No it was fucking hot as could be- I was having a hard time with the digital to get rid of some of the haze. Mostly blue skies with a few hazy clouds. But we climbed pretty fast- had a steady pace- much better than I could do if the White Chocolate Party Express would have been in town the night prior

Originally posted by Squirrel99
    No it was fucking hot as could be- I was having a hard time with the digital to get rid of some of the haze. Mostly blue skies with a few hazy clouds. But we climbed pretty fast- had a steady pace- much better than I could do if the White Chocolate Party Express would have been in town the night prior
    Most people don't realize that the white chocolate party express is similar to the little coin operated cars that rock back and forth outside stores Our ride today was great, because i was with several members of the wwu downhill team who brought their big bikes for training...all though it is kinda disheartening when someone riding an intense m-1 with a 44 tooth chainring is climbing faster then you! (for the record he was an expert level xc racer, but still)

Originally posted by White Chocolate
    Most people don't realize that the white chocolate party express is similar to the little coin operated cars that rock back and forth outside stores Our ride today was great, because i was with several members of the wwu downhill team who brought their big bikes for training...all though it is kinda disheartening when someone riding an intense m-1 with a 44 tooth chainring is climbing faster then you! (for the record he was an expert level xc racer, but still)
    I'm sure they couldn't keep up, however, at Casa Que Pasa

Originally posted by Squirrel99
    I'm sure they couldn't keep up, however, at Casa Que Pasa
    hahahahaha, of course not!

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Beautiful! I love the phrase "At the top, the trail takes a dive into the thick "Ewok type Forest" "

Thumbs up

sweet. great looking pics.

that ride is so on my hit list!

as fresh and fun as d-ville was i can't wait to get back to the PN-dub and charge with my buddies again.

Sweet TR and pics Squirrel!

Nice work Squirrel! That looks like a fun ride...hmmm, what to do this weekend?????
    BC- When in the hell are you planning on returning?
    "You look like you just got schnitzled..."

Originally posted by BC-FLOW
    that ride is so on my hit list!

as fresh and fun as d-ville was i can't wait to get back to the PN-dub and charge with my buddies again.
    Damn Straight it is Although next time, going to have to go for the meat and hit ALL OF SUN TOP (5,000+ vert of climbing enjoyment)

Brrrring IT!

the new ride climbs like whoa! seat up, rear locked find the climbing song n' go!

should be back round the 28th and yeah i expect to ride as soon as i get in town.

Originally posted by BC-FLOW
    Brrrring IT!

the new ride climbs like whoa! seat up, rear locked find the climbing song n' go!

should be back round the 28th and yeah i expect to ride as soon as i get in town.
    Well, I'm riding Preston whatever that Wed. AND Thur. night is (28/29). Then maybe B-ham on Friday (?) and Squamish/Whistler on Saturday or Sunday