Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1126
  1. #1076
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    [low rent] does the aero press fit in the lip of that fellow mug? [/low rent]
    The FAQ says no

  2. #1077
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    [low rent] does the aero press fit in the lip of that fellow mug? [/low rent]
    It fits the bigger of the two Carter mugs - the "non move" model. Basically, they have one series (the "move" series) designed to fit into cup holders, and another that is slightly wider. The wider of the two accommodates an aeropress perfectly.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  3. #1078
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,759
    https://fellowproducts.com/products/...everywhere-mug

    This one is aeropress compatible. Source: I have one and I take it to the office every time I go in, and my setup there is an aeropress.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  4. #1079
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    9,459
    Found out I am getting a coffee grinder for Christmas but my budget wonít support the Niche Zero. Best electric grinder for pour over coffee for around $400? Iím kinda at a loss, luckily they asked because otherwise I was getting the Baratza Sette 270 which I think is a fine grinder but built for espresso.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #1080
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Found out I am getting a coffee grinder for Christmas but my budget wonít support the Niche Zero. Best electric grinder for pour over coffee for around $400? Iím kinda at a loss, luckily they asked because otherwise I was getting the Baratza Sette 270 which I think is a fine grinder but built for espresso.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Looks like you can get a Vario for around $479, maybe less if you can stack coupons:

    https://majestycoffee.com/products/b...MaAtPxEALw_wcB

    I'd go that route. Alternatively, I'd get a Fellow Ode for $220 (on sale) and then the SSP burr upgrade for $180. That's a pretty solid setup.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  6. #1081
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Udaho
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    It fits the bigger of the two Carter mugs - the "non move" model. Basically, they have one series (the "move" series) designed to fit into cup holders, and another that is slightly wider. The wider of the two accommodates an aeropress perfectly.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Thatís interesting. My Carter everywhere mugís opening is just a tiny bit too tight. If I press directly into my mug, the aeroís filter basket gets stuck and I have to wiggle it back-and-forth a bunch to get it out. If I twist it, clockwise and it wonít budge or counter-clockwise and the aero chamber unscrews from the filter basket (and the basket stays wedged in the mugís opening). So, I use the aero funnel with my everywhere mug. Source: me every morning when camping. Both my aero and my mug are 1st gen, so that may make a difference?

  7. #1082
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    https://fellowproducts.com/products/carter-move-mug

    The 8oz version is the smallest thermos I know of. Furthermore, the ceramic lining in it means that your espresso won't taste like stainless steel by the time you get to Mammoth. Espresso is acidic enough (as is coffee) that your unlined (stainless) thermos will impart noticeable flavor; ceramic lining keeps that from happening.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    I've always used the coffee cups made by HydroFlask. Very much looked forward to coffee still warm when I get back for an early lunch. I've never noticed a metallic taste. Maybe I am about to get school on this topic and will be adding the carter to the Xmas list. (I was not doing espresso at this point last year, just brewed...)

  8. #1083
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    5,661

    espresso making mags?

    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I'd go that route. Alternatively, I'd get a Fellow Ode for $220 (on sale) and then the SSP burr upgrade for $180. That's a pretty solid setup.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Whatís the story with the burr upgrade? Is the Ode no good as is?

    I just sold my espresso setup, and toying with the idea of a new grinder for the hell of it. Like the look of the Ode, and thatís 50% of my curiosity. Ideally looking for something that only holds 50g max, but most other sub $2k machines seem geared toward people dumping a bag-o-beans in there for the week, and I think they look stupid in the kitchen.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  9. #1084
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    9,459
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Whatís the story with the burr upgrade? Is the Ode no good as is?

    I just sold my espresso setup, and toying with the idea of a new grinder for the hell of it. Like the look of the Ode, and thatís 50% of my curiosity. Ideally looking for something that only holds 50g max, but most other sub $2k machines seem geared toward people dumping a bag-o-beans in there for the week, and I think they look stupid in the kitchen.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    https://youtu.be/uQEnviAXORk

    Tldw- ssp will allow you to grind finer, even to espresso and give better consistency.

  10. #1085
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    5,661

    espresso making mags?

    Gotcha. I grind pretty coarse with pour over. Seems to get me the flavors I like.
    Now I have to wait a year for them to go on sale again!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  11. #1086
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Driving2VT
    Posts
    3,971

    espresso making mags?

    Serious question since I am an espresso making mag not a pour over mag: why wouldnít something like the Baratza Encore suffice for pour overs?
    Uno mas

  12. #1087
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    50,041
    I have a confession to make. I was offered a coffee at a friend's apartment that came from a Breville Nuspresso machine, and since I had quite the caffeine jones at the time, thought, wtf, and accepted. No real milk, so I just dropped half a teaspoon of sugar in there. Quite the head of crema on top, so maybe it was an espresso pod, not "coffee"? It was really good. Quite nice. That's like the fourth time I've been impressed with Nuspresso.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  13. #1088
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Serious question since I am an espresso making mag not a pour over mag: why wouldnít something like the Baratza Encore suffice for pour overs?
    The Encore is a great grinder, and it makes awesome coffee. Still one of the best bang for your buck purchases out there.

    Might be a good time to talk about the differences in grinders, what their ideal applications are, and why all of this actually makes a difference. Standard disclaimer: I don't ask the kooks at home-barista about the differences between the BG and the BG tour, so you get what you pay for by coming to a ski forum for coffee advice.

    There are 2 main types of burr grinders (conical or flat burr grinders), with a 3rd (less common) type that I'll touch on later (the ghost burr!). The biggest difference in flat and conical burr grinders is the distribution of particle size created by the burrs - flat burrs tend to have unimodal grind distribution (all the particles are roughly the same size), while conical burrs have a bimodal distribution with a significant number of smaller particles (called fines), and then a main group of bigger particle sizes. For most filter-brew applications, fines are undesirable; you want everything to be the same size so that the grounds don't overextract. For most espresso applications, you want a bimodal distribution - the fines travel down the puck when the espresso machine is first turned on, effectively clogging the basket holes and slowing the flow. This then leads to an even extraction for the entire shot (reduces channeling).

    Now - if you were to take that paragraph and paste it into home-barista, you'd get 700 pages of arguing. Those assertions are as polemic as pole straps, and there is a growing number of people who like "flat burr espresso" or "conical burr pourover", but for the overwhelming majority of people, flat burrs are best for pourover and conicals are best for espresso. Keep your tips to the left.

    The other factors here are the tolerances of the burr set and the size of the burrs. Generally speaking, the bigger the burrs, the better the grinder. Flat burr grinders have less surface area, so you can't just use the burr diameter between the two to make an apples to apples comparison. The Ode has a 64mm flat burr, which is somewhere around the equivalent of a 50mm conical - the Encore has a 40mm conical.

    Finally - on burr tolerances, SSP has the best tolerances and burr geometry in the game. They have measurably better distribution, and their coating process supposedly greatly extends the life of the burrs (not that anyone ever wears burrs out at home).

    So - not only does the Ode have a burr set better suited to pourover, it's also bigger. Of course, we're also comparing a $300 grinder to a $170 grinder, so it's not exactly fair. If you add in a $180 burr set on top of it, the Ode is much closer to a Baratza Vario in price (54mm flat burrs) and functionality.

  14. #1089
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    5,661

    espresso making mags?

    Another super valuable chapter in the Padded Room tgapp coffee bible. As Iíve said elsewhere, TGR can usually match or rival specialty forums with much less bullshit.

    I know it sounds petty, but the Ode is also one of the only grinders that doesnít look like a cheap blender. At least in the sub-$1k realm. And to be honest, once you bring spouses and fancy kitchens into the equation, that can count for a lot.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  15. #1090
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Another super valuable chapter in the Padded Room tgapp coffee bible. As Iíve said elsewhere, TGR can usually match or rival specialty forums with much less bullshit.

    I know it sounds petty, but the Ode is also one of the only grinders that doesnít look like a cheap blender. At least in the sub-$1k realm. And to be honest, once you bring spouses and fancy kitchens into the equation, that can count for a lot.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Fellow makes good looking, well-designed shit. The Ode has a number of nice features like a burr knocker (to deal with retention) and a magnetic catch cup. I haven't used one but they appear to be built with workflow in mind, which is also a big plus in the spousal department.

    Don't buy their godforsaken demitasse though. Cute but utterly nonfunctional. The opening is just smaller than a 58mm basket, which means you'll get drips on the outside on every shot.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  16. #1091
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,759
    Of note ^^^ the brown flecks in the shot above are actually fines from a conical burr grinder. You don't get that sort of leopard spots from a flat burr grinder.

    I just wanted to send that pic to shit on Fellows terrible demitasse though.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  17. #1092
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Driving2VT
    Posts
    3,971
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Of note ^^^ the brown flecks in the shot above are actually fines from a conical burr grinder. You don't get that sort of leopard spots from a flat burr grinder.

    I just wanted to send that pic to shit on Fellows terrible demitasse though.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Conicalburr4lyfe
    Uno mas

  18. #1093
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,212
    Personally Iím waiting for the sharks with frickin laser beams grinder to up my game.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #1094
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    50,041
    Budget or espresso beginners.

    BB&Beyond is selling the Breville Bambino (not the Bambino plus) for 299 in a flyer I just got. So, use your 50 buck coupon, and you have a nice cheap quality machine.Mine (the plus) is going strong after about two a day for fourteen months, with a lot of milk frothing. The plus has an automatic milk frothing feature that is pretty cool, if you want to spend more.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  20. #1095
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    5,661
    The milk frothier alone is worth the price of the Bambino Plus.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  21. #1096
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    19,216
    My son brought home some coffee beans from Yemen. Light tan in color. What do I have--unroasted, lightly roasted? What if anything can I do with them to make espresso with them. (I grind my own, never have roasted. This is all I have, so purchasing equipment not an option.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211226_131511.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	398268

  22. #1097
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    196
    Novice roaster, so could be wrong, but they look roasted to me (very light roast). Not sure on how well espresso will work with those, maybe try brewing as a coffee first?

  23. #1098
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tahoe-ish
    Posts
    1,897
    Those are not roasted. Yemen beans are always really ugly and the resulting "wildness" in their flavor is much of the appeal. If you have an old air popcorn popper, you can roast them. You can also just to do on the stove top in a cast iron skillet, the way they do in Yemen and Ethiopia.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

  24. #1099
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Those are not roasted. Yemen beans are always really ugly and the resulting "wildness" in their flavor is much of the appeal. If you have an old air popcorn popper, you can roast them. You can also just to do on the stove top in a cast iron skillet, the way they do in Yemen and Ethiopia.
    Need a better picture to be sure. Bright LED light against a white piece of paper outside of the bag would be ideal. In Yemen and elsewhere the tradition of drinking cinnamon coffee (extremely lightly roasted coffee that has not yet hit first crack) is common, so that could be cinnamon, but is likely unroasted. You should be able to tell by the smell. If it smells like grass, it's unroasted. If it smells like burnt hair, it's cinnamon coffee.

    To roast: get a dry cast iron pan super hot, then dump the coffee in it and stir constantly until you hear it pop like popcorn. Keep stirring for another 45 seconds to a minute like your life depends on it. Dump into a colander and keep stirring in that until the coffee is cool to the touch. Send to me and I'll trade you for some of my own coffee.

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  25. #1100
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    9,459

    espresso making mags?

    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My son brought home some coffee beans from Yemen. Light tan in color. What do I have--unroasted, lightly roasted? What if anything can I do with them to make espresso with them. (I grind my own, never have roasted. This is all I have, so purchasing equipment not an option.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211226_131511.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	398268
    Looks like a mix of very lightly roasted and unroasted frankly (even though that doesnít make sense). My guess is they are cinnamon roast. If they are unroasted I can roast them for you the next time youíre driving through Auburn if you want.
    Last edited by neufox47; 12-26-2021 at 08:42 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •