Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1001
  1. #976
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,646
    My wife just sent me this, I think I may need to chill out on obsessing out loud to her:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	espresso.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	358848

  2. #977
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,008
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #978
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    yeah that + a good basic machine (gaggia classic) + good coffee will get you to the 90% mark pretty quickly. within a few months you'll have better espresso than anywhere in a 100 mile radius of you. unless you live in seattle or san francisco or similar, of course.

    good luck man!
    Just bumping this to report that the scale plus consistency with ratios etc AND the Kinu grinder have made my shots seriously improve.

    Theyíve become much better regarding flavor and crema texture.

    I canít say enough about the grinder. Itís well weighted and creates a really good hand feel and functions very ergonomically. Iím still dialing in the best grind size for my liking but itís part of the fun.

    Iíll be checking in again with more questions for sure but have been really pleased with these changes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #979
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    3,320
    Quick comment on machines

    In two different locations, i have two different espresso machines and grinders.

    1. $4,000 set and the other $1,200 set.

    They both make excellent ristretto, can't tell the difference.

    The cheaper machine is a single boiler, so i never steam milk on it, just nuke it and use a $12 propeller thing to foam it.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  5. #980
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    833
    I've since upgraded my Flair to the Pro 2 brew head so that I can pull larger shots (20g dose instead of 15g or so). The pressure gauge and add-on temperature strips ($5 for the latter) are also handy. I'm very happy with the quality of the shots I can pull, even with an Encore grinder (though I've de-indexed it and set it to the fine end of its grind settings).

    Also the $12 spinny milk foamers do great work. Overall, very happy with this as a budget setup.

  6. #981
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,877
    https://www.home-barista.com/buysell...2.html#p777241

    denver/boulder area mags, this is a killer deal for someone who wants a god-tier machine. pretty insane price IMO.

  7. #982
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    21,292
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    https://www.home-barista.com/buysell...2.html#p777241

    denver/boulder area mags, this is a killer deal for someone who wants a god-tier machine. pretty insane price IMO.
    "Not Found"


  8. #983
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,877
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    "Not Found"
    damn, that sold fast. insane deal, $1300 for a recently restored dual boiler

  9. #984
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    8,694
    It shows up for me. Man if I wasnít buying a house right now...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  10. #985
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,877
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    It shows up for me. Man if I wasnít buying a house right now...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    actually yeah, it's up again. weird.

    that is an absolutely insane deal. my god. @neufox47, how goes the roasting lately?

  11. #986
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    8,694

    espresso making mags?

    Pretty good. Iíve probably been bouncing around between too many different beans but I like the variety. Iíve gotten the hang of the roaster and started doing it in the garage instead of under the exhaust fan. Much easier to hear first crack.

    Thanks for the help.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  12. #987
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mammoth Lakes
    Posts
    3,402
    So there is an Alex Duetto III for sale in LA. Im trying to figure out if I would rather have a Lelit Elizabeth, new w 3 yr warranty and $150 in my pocket or the Duetto? Seems like the Liz is pretty dang cool machine especially w pre-in fusion. Checks all my boxes.

    Thoughts? Why would a Duetto be better?

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    He who has the most fun wins!

  13. #988
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,877
    Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    So there is an Alex Duetto III for sale in LA. Im trying to figure out if I would rather have a Lelit Elizabeth, new w 3 yr warranty and $150 in my pocket or the Duetto? Seems like the Liz is pretty dang cool machine especially w pre-in fusion. Checks all my boxes.

    Thoughts? Why would a Duetto be better?

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    honestly if the duetto has been well maintained there's no doubt I would go with that machine:

    - e61 grouphead means way more aftermarket part compatibility (including flow control, which is a big deal, and way better than the preinfusion on the Elizabeth)
    - bigger steam and brew boilers, by far (better for Sunday morning lattes and entertaining)
    - e61s are fucking cool, you get to pull up a fucking lever to pull a shot. plus you can put cool wood on it

    the thing to do is to pull the mushroom and see if there's any scale build up (look for pictures online or DM me and I can help you). if there isn't, you're in business. scale kills machines. everything else on an e61 is super user serviceable, there are a million videos and instructions and everything you need to work on that machine yourself. they're like the 80s Toyota pickup trucks of the coffee world.

    OTOH, I have a Lelit machine and I couldn't recommend it more enthusiastically. fucking killer machines, they punch well above their weight class in price vs performance. my only advice would be to seriously consider a Lelit MaraX as an alternative to the Elizabeth (e61 heat exchanger with some very smart internals that overcome the biggest downsides of a HX machine). it's better at steaming milk and you can add flow control later too. a ski partner of mine just got one and he loves it.

    TL;DR: great choices either way

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

  14. #989
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,646
    Over the past week I've noticed reduced pressure and temp out of my steam wand. I descaled the machine last night but that didn't seem to fix it. Symptoms: no longer getting decent microfoam and I have to heat the milk 15ish seconds longer to get it hot enough, and sometimes it seems to never reach temp. Thoughts?

  15. #990
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    174
    It sounds like you may have done this already, but check the holes of wand. Sometimes one or more of them get plugged. Also with the tip off you can check to see if the problem is pressure with the boiler.

  16. #991
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,877
    https://www.home-barista.com/buysell...xl-t72520.html

    pretty damn good deal on the best consumer machine on the market IMO

  17. #992
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,720
    After reading that ad Iím now down the rabbit hole of pavlis and SCA water etc.

  18. #993
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,877
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    After reading that ad Iím now down the rabbit hole of pavlis and SCA water etc.
    I do Pavlis' water recipe. Super easy, 10/10 would recommend.

    Descaling sucks.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

  19. #994
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,646
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I do Pavlis' water recipe. Super easy, 10/10 would recommend.

    Descaling sucks.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    Found this:
    1) Add 10g of Potassium bicarbonate to 1000ml of water to create a concentrate.

    2) Then, add 37 ml of that concentrate to each gallon of distilled water

    That it?
    Use this:? https://www.amazon.com/Home-Brew-Ohi...s%2C201&sr=8-2

    I don't know that I'm going down this rabbit hole as my water tested to right at 100 TDS and it seems good already, but it's interesting none the less.

  20. #995
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,877
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Found this:
    1) Add 10g of Potassium bicarbonate to 1000ml of water to create a concentrate.

    2) Then, add 37 ml of that concentrate to each gallon of distilled water

    That it?
    Use this:? https://www.amazon.com/Home-Brew-Ohi...s%2C201&sr=8-2

    I don't know that I'm going down this rabbit hole as my water tested to right at 100 TDS and it seems good already, but it's interesting none the less.
    yep, that's it. you can also mix each individual batch without using the concentrate but it's a little harder. 100 tds is good, but you may still need to descale from time to time.

    i have enough potassium bicarbonate to last a few life times if you wanna try it out ever

  21. #996
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,877
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210407_144223533.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	370711

    been playing a lot with blending and blending theory lately, and i've been pretty stoked on the results. this is my newest bullshit espresso blend (working name: "you know the drill"), running about 19g in and 50g out over 75 seconds at 200 degrees. here are the components:

    panama elida estate natural catui, roasted to a stretched city+ (medium) - 65% of the total blend. this is a great naturally processed coffee, tastes like strawberry. i don't take it too dark because i want it to be punchy and sweet. this coffee has great body and a decent bit of acidity too.
    bolivia fair trade organic, roasted to a light full city - (medium dark) - 30% - in most espresso blends this would be the base, but because i don't like straight chocolate bombs, it's toned down quite a bit, making the espresso fruit-forward rather than heavy and dark, but still retaining that chocolate component
    kenya nyeri othaya gura - city roast (light & bright) - 5% - this coffee is an accent coffee in this blend, basically rounding everything out with an orange peel note.

    so, in the small cup, it tastes like chocolate-covered strawberries with orange zest. not bad. probably not the best for milk drinks, but i'm too lazy for those anyway.

  22. #997
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Driving2VT
    Posts
    3,776

    espresso making mags?

    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210407_144223533.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	370711

    been playing a lot with blending and blending theory lately, and i've been pretty stoked on the results. this is my newest bullshit espresso blend (working name: "you know the drill"), running about 19g in and 50g out over 75 seconds at 200 degrees.
    50g out? I thought you were a 1.5 guy? Not to mention a fan of under dosing baskets. What have I missed in the journey? Love the blend adventuring btw. Not to mention the crema porn.
    Last edited by Doremite; 04-18-2021 at 06:26 AM.
    Uno mas

  23. #998
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    10,921
    After 12 years, my DeLonghi Magnifica XS has finally died. Water no longer reaches the coffee. The machine still grinds the beans, and the pump still sucks water, but the water does not reach the ground coffee. Instead, it empties into the excess water basin. Then, the ground coffee is thrown into the waste bin while still dry and thus not caked.
    In any event, I just bought a Breville Barista Express. What a disappointment, so far.
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

  24. #999
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    21,292
    FYI: UBS recharged grinder arrived (for my camper) it will grind beans ok, (but slowly) but not fine enough grind for espresso. Oh well. $25 experiment.

    Odds are find for pourovers etc.


  25. #1000
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    6,203
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    After 12 years, my DeLonghi Magnifica XS has finally died. Water no longer reaches the coffee. The machine still grinds the beans, and the pump still sucks water, but the water does not reach the ground coffee. Instead, it empties into the excess water basin. Then, the ground coffee is thrown into the waste bin while still dry and thus not caked.
    In any event, I just bought a Breville Barista Express. What a disappointment, so far.
    Sounds like just a bad three way solenoid, should be an easy fix. Could be as easy as descaling but I assume you did that. Not. a huge fan of built in grinders for this reason, I'd rather replace one or the other, not both. At any rate, your machine sounds fixable if you want to keep it, or sell it.

    I'm seven years into my damaged packaging ebay Gaggia Classic, $300 shipped. Replaced the crappy plastic aerating steam wand with a. Rancillio Silvia traditional one. Also got a bottomless portafilter filter with a 21 gram basket, awesome for triple shots for work! Replaced the pump last summer for $35 and it's running like a champ. Prolly should descale more often, usually wait until it starts clogging, 3-4 months. Got the full rebuild kit for $40, gonna tackle that soon. I'll check out the water softening recipe mentioned. No complaints though.

    Pulling some decent (to me) shots. This is a double with the OEM 14 gram basket. LMK what you guys think!

    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •