Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Ah ha, I see what you mean, but I disagree
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Color me confused with Supermoon.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Maybe a paper filter catches residual oils BUT how many very expensive espresso M/C costing many K's do you see with a paper filter ?

Breville Barista Express now selling for $699.
    I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Maybe a paper filter catches residual oils BUT how many very expensive espresso M/C costing many K's do you see with a paper filter ?
    I was talking with a roaster a few years ago. His take was that the oils (from not using a paper filter) slow down or buffer caffeine absorption, making for a steadier, less spikey buzz than a paper filtered, oil-less brew.

I haven't done any A/B testing of his theory.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-01-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Jura: who's got one? Are they worth the coin? Do they last forever or shit the bed after a few years?
    Breville's price explosion has convinced me to consider other brands.
    However many are in a shit ton.

80% of my coffee is made with a DeLonghi Magnifica XS. Going on 5+ years and still works great. Otherwise, I use the old school Italian espresso pot. No matter how I make my coffee, I always make it with Cafe Britt Costa Rican beans. The price is right. Order 10-30 bags at a time (discount varies), that are delivered to your door. Can't beat the taste (unless you are drinking Kona or Blue Mountain peaberry, but those are 4x the price)
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Jura: who's got one? Are they worth the coin? Do they last forever or shit the bed after a few years?
    Breville's price explosion has convinced me to consider other brands.
    The problem with automatic espresso machines is that they cannot make a good ristretto.

They will not grind fine enough

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Rancilio sylvia built pretty tough ... just keep going

The problem with automatic espresso machines is that they cannot make a good ristretto.

They will not grind fine enough
    You sure? I just got a Breville Oracle Touch, and you can dial it way down.
    Also this:
    Rancilio sylvia built pretty tough ... just keep going
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

To me, the worst thing about automatic espresso machines is the inconsistency of the heat of the water. Depending upon how long the machine is turned on and how frequently it is actually used, the heat of the final product often varies. I like my espresso piping hot
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    You sure? I just got a Breville Oracle Touch, and you can dial it way down.
    Also this:
    I bought a jura and i tried to get a ristretto to come in 25 seconds, no way. It was about 8 seconds.

I emailed jura and they said this is normal.

So i sent it back and got a lellit.

8 seconds?!?! That's ridiculous.

And 25 seconds is arguably a bit underextracted in many cases. I'm up to 42-43 seconds on a few of my roasts with no overextraction symptoms (or at least none that are out of balance with my goals for the shot). I've had very few roasts that were ideal at 25 seconds or less.

I cannot believe Jura would say an 8 second shot it normal. I mean, I believe that's what they told you if you say so, but 8 seconds?!?!

We've got a Jura that we've had for probably a decade. Counter is up to 17,633 cups made. Been pretty solid, had to send it of a few years ago to have the brew group rebuilt. Couple of years ago it had a problem leaking coffee into the tray. It was wear on a plastic part and there is an aftermarket replacement made of metal. Did that repair myself and did the seals on the brew group again.

We are not total coffee snobs, we do have a great local roaster that we use for good fresh beans. For us it's a good balance, better than most coffee you can get and way better than that Starbucks crap. Doesn't produce the perfect cup like a true espresso machine but when I'm half awake it nice to push a couple of buttons and get a solid cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post

And 25 seconds is arguably a bit underextracted in many cases. I'm up to 42-43 seconds on a few of my roasts with no overextraction symptoms (or at least none that are out of balance with my goals for the shot). I've had very few roasts that were ideal at 25 seconds or less.

I cannot believe Jura would say an 8 second shot it normal. I mean, I believe that's what they told you if you say so, but 8 seconds?!?!
    That's what they said.

What coffee are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    That's what they said.

What coffee are you using?

I roast my own.

I bought a jura and i tried to get a ristretto to come in 25 seconds, no way. It was about 8 seconds.

I emailed jura and they said this is normal.

So i sent it back and got a lellit.
    Jura’s dumb. Well something to look for in an auto machine would be a grinder that can be dialed down then.

I roast my own.
    How hard or time consuming is it?

How hard or time consuming is it?

There's a learning curve. It takes about 20 minutes to roast a lb with the entry level roaster, 30min counting set-up/clean-up. Covered outdoor space is fairly critical. I've had commercial roasts that are better than mine, but not consistently and not better enough to justify the price difference. So I can say I do it for consistency and cost ($5/lb instead of $15 for comparable), but it's mainly because I like doing/building/working on my own shit, regardless of economics.

Entry level roaster is the Behmor 1600. It's been reliable and consistent for me. Gotta use manual mode. Ignore any review that says it won't do dark roasts. Manual mode allows you to run it as long as you want, but the caveat is that you're "baking" your coffee after a certain amount of time. Big, professional roasters are hotter and faster. The Behmor is my weak link, currently (because it doesn't roast fast enough, thus changing the characteristics of the roasted beans more than I'd like), but it's the best option with the space and time I have to devote to this.

Shoot for the 28-34 second range here typically. Lower than 28 and I am going more fine w my grind. Low 40s sounds long for a target range. To each his own I realize.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Shoot for the 28-34 second range here typically. Lower than 28 and I am going more fine w my grind. Low 40s sounds long for a target range. To each his own I realize.
    33 is my sweet spot. Just saying I've had some 42 second extractions that were good.

Like I said, we drink Cafe Britt. Usually a 12oz bag of beans costs about $13. We consume between 12oz and 16oz/wk. 20 bags lasts about 3 mos. Because we drink this much, and are committed to Cafe Britt, we get it delivered for about $10/bag. When purchasing, there is a choice of different types of Costa Rican coffee, and whether they be whole beans or ground. I highly recommend. Shit Starbucks costs about the same and there is no comparison.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6443.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	490.7 KB 
ID:	325338

I’d feel almost guilty now if I bought coffee from a non-local roaster. It’s as good as most, and I know him.

33 is my sweet spot. Just saying I've had some 42 second extractions that were good.
    Gotcha. Lots of variables and I don’t dump at low 40s so I hear ya!
    Uno mas