Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1553
    Pictures of the beans as requested. The smell is faint but I'd say more like grass than burnt. Not like the smell of the roasted Ethiopian beans he got in Djibouti.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yemen beans.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	656.6 KB 
ID:	398453

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Pictures of the beans as requested. The smell is faint but I'd say more like grass than burnt. Not like the smell of the roasted Ethiopian beans he got in Djibouti.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yemen beans.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	656.6 KB 
ID:	398453
    Yeah i'd give it a go with roasting them in a cast iron skillet. I guarantee they won't get any worse. It looks to me like a fairly bad sort/lot from yemen, which, unfortunately, is how a lot of Yemeni coffee has been since the start of the humanitarian crisis - some clear coffee bore beetle marks, other signs of bad/sick fruit, etc. It sucks, but getting high quality coffee from Yemen is virtually impossible now. Still, this is well worth experimenting. Be careful though, as you may find yourself spending thousands of dollars on a commercial coffee roaster sometime in the near future. It's addicting.

I would actually wait when roasting this coffee until you hear TWO sets of pops - the first one will sound like popcorn (we call this first crack, or 1cs, and it is the benchmark for ALL coffee drank in the US, even the lightest coffee), the second one will sound like sizzling snaps (second crack or 2cs - which will sound lighter, sharper, less audible/dramatic). Start cooling it around ten seconds after the second set of pops happens. The two events may bleed into one another, but listen carefully and you should pick up on them.

Unripe cherries (which it looks like you have a handful of) won't darken when they roast - they stay a lighter tan/brown color. Pick those ones out and throw them away. Then, let the roasted coffee sit in a jar for 8-14 days MINIMUM (no, you definitely do not want to drink fresh roasted coffee, ESPECIALLY coffee from Yemen. it takes a long time to mature after roasting, and drinking it before that time window will be pretty gross.

What is up with the brown unroasted beans?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    What is up with the brown unroasted beans?

It could be a couple things - genetic, varietal, bad drying processes, oxidation, overripe beans. Usually it's an indicator of poor processing and sorting but that's not always the case. I have had absolutely incredible Ethiopian landrace coffee (Wush Wush and Super Wush in particular) that have all sorts of brown beans in the green.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Beginner roasting on a cast iron skillet and making a pour over followed by an espresso shot sounds like a rad TR.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Beginner roasting on a cast iron skillet and making a pour over followed by an espresso shot sounds like a rad TR.

+1.

I'll donate to a local charity if you mail me a bag. I'll also mail you some in return.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    It could be a couple things - genetic, varietal, bad drying processes, oxidation, overripe beans. Usually it's an indicator of poor processing and sorting but that's not always the case. I have had absolutely incredible Ethiopian landrace coffee (Wush Wush and Super Wush in particular) that have all sorts of brown beans in the green.

Where do / have you bought Wush Wush? Looks like Roastmasters currently has it, not seeing many others.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    +1.

I'll donate to a local charity if you mail me a bag. I'll also mail you some in return.

Since my son brought them back from a war zone I think I'll keep them and use them myself. If they're even marginally drinkable I'll enjoy them because of the provenance. All I have is the plastic bag in the first pic and the same amount of Ethiopian. I appreciate all the advice.

Where do / have you bought Wush Wush? Looks like Roastmasters currently has it, not seeing many others.
    Damn, I might have to pick up 10#s. Usually Klatch has it, and it's definitely worth the money. Seeing what else Roastmasters has - they consistently import absolutely superb coffee, but it tends to be a bit more pricey than their competitors.

Bought some Wush Wush and Panama Elida Estate Catuai Natural ASD

Bought some Wush Wush and Panama Elida Estate Catuai Natural ASD

that was gonna be my buy too. good picks. elida estate is amazing.

espresso making mags?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    What’s the story with the burr upgrade? Is the Ode no good as is?

I just sold my espresso setup, and toying with the idea of a new grinder for the hell of it. Like the look of the Ode, and that’s 50% of my curiosity. Ideally looking for something that only holds 50g max, but most other sub $2k machines seem geared toward people dumping a bag-o-beans in there for the week, and I think they look stupid in the kitchen.

Beware on the Ode until they get their production issues sorted. I got one with the standard burrs and bought the ssp upgrade but the 64mm ssp burrs are too big by about 1mm. The standard burrs do ok for drip and maybe pour over but not fine enough for aeropress. According to customer service this is an issue on a “small” number of machines but they currently aren’t selling the ssp burrs anymore.

Real bummer, the other grinders that take those same 64mm burrs go for over $1,000. Thinking about getting a niche zero but I really liked the idea of flat burrs for my filter coffee grinder. Tgapp or others, any suggestions? Now that I’m buying with return money my budget is $1,000 or less but would like to stay around $500-700.
    Last edited by neufox47; 01-07-2022 at 08:37 PM.

One of the sellers are offering Lelit Mara X Espresso Machine with flow control kit free for $1550. I was planning on the Elizabeth but that first one with flow control seems like a good deal. I may pull the trigger.

Any way to know whether that machine is slated to be updated for something and that’s why it’s being offered cheaper with flow controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea but seems like a sick deal. Can’t imagine anything changing that drastically that it matters much.

What site?

Lelit makes good machines, i have one

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

espresso making mags?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Lelit makes good machines, i have one

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk
    https://www.1st-line.com/buy/lelit-m...resso-machine/

Here is the sight and deal. It’s in NJ so shipping for me is reasonable since I’m in PA. I emailed them to see if it is the latest version.

I still like the Elizabeth at this range but having flow control and still less by $150 makes it compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    https://www.1st-line.com/buy/lelit-m...resso-machine/

Here is the sight and deal. It’s in NJ so shipping for me is reasonable since I’m in PA. I emailed them to see if it is the latest version.

I still like the Elizabeth at this range but having flow control and still less by $150 makes it compelling.

Get a marax + flow control. Flow control is a game changer. Elizabeth is a great machine, sure, but I'd still go MaraX, any day.

Just bought the flair 58. Excited for the upgrade on espresso and since I think I steamed milk once in 2021 I won’t miss the rest of the espresso machine.

Time to up my coffee game! Wifey just got me my first espresso maker, a Breville Bambino Plus to go along with my awesome Breville Smart Grinder Pro that I've been enjoying immensely for French Press. Made my first espresso this afternoon w/ steamed milk. Pretty solid first attempt, but I can tell I need to pack in more grounds I think. I have no freaking clue what I'm doing and I'm finding it all a bit overwhelming as a noob, so any hints for this old espresso jong?

Just bought the flair 58. Excited for the upgrade on espresso and since I think I steamed milk once in 2021 I won’t miss the rest of the espresso machine.

Let me know how that works for you.

Still playing around with the idea of the MaraX or Elizabeth but I’m not in a huge hurry because I need to drop my daughter off at day care and there’s a great coffee shop down the street.

So I made espresso with the Ethiopian beans my son brought back--he actually got them in Djibouti. I haven't tried roasting the Yemeni beans yet. He confirmed they are unroasted beans--the only coffee available where he was stationed. The Navy Seals there pan roast them routinely. I'll give it a try once the Ethiopian beans are gone. If it works it will be the only thing I have in common with Navy Seals.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Time to up my coffee game! Wifey just got me my first espresso maker, a Breville Bambino Plus to go along with my awesome Breville Smart Grinder Pro that I've been enjoying immensely for French Press. Made my first espresso this afternoon w/ steamed milk. Pretty solid first attempt, but I can tell I need to pack in more grounds I think. I have no freaking clue what I'm doing and I'm finding it all a bit overwhelming as a noob, so any hints for this old espresso jong?
    Target 8.5 - 9 bars of pressure. (Edit: I guess you can't on that machine? So just adjust the other variables).

Play with ratio of grounds to coffee. CDN makes a great cheap digital scale. I like 19.5g of grounds to 30-35g of espresso.

Target a brew time of 25-35 seconds. Adjust that time by playing with grind fineness, "dose" (weight of grounds), and to some extent, tamp pressure.

I find the breville grinder cannot get fine enough on the finest setting to do it right. Not with me machine anyway.

Adjust one variable at a time and see what you like.

If you have a dental budget, pay up for nice equipment. You won't regret that. The single best coffee making investment I ever made was a direct plumb machine.

There are a million YouTube videos about dialing in shots with the variables mentioned above. Some of the people are quacks. Take shit with a grain of salt and defer to your own scientific process (as long as you're doing a good job controlling variables). E.g. I thought tamp pressure mattered way too much when I first started. Turns out I was wrong and there was another reason my extraction time was changing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    The Bambino Plus has dual wall filters. Some of the stuff you are being told may apply more to fancier machines with single wall filters. (You should be able to buy single wall filters.) The double wall filter, by creating a minimum pressure regardless of grind, fill, and tamp, reduces the impact of the variables, but doesn't eliminate them. Are you using the single or two cup filter? Are you filling the filter and trimming it with the trimming tool? I like the espresso I get from my Bambino, but maybe I don't know what great espresso is supposed to taste like. I do know I don't like any sourness.

I drink espressos and Americanos--both with a little sugar, no milk. I find that the specs for the best espresso aren't the same as for the best Americano--at least to my taste. (I probably need to fill more and tamp harder for the espressos.)

AFAIC the most important variable is the beans.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Target 8.5 - 9 bars of pressure. (Edit: I guess you can't on that machine? So just adjust the other variables).
    You're right. No adjustments, but supposedly does 9 bars.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    There are a million YouTube videos about dialing in shots with the variables mentioned above. Some of the people are quacks. Take shit with a grain of salt and defer to your own scientific process (as long as you're doing a good job controlling variables). E.g. I thought tamp pressure mattered way too much when I first started. Turns out I was wrong and there was another reason my extraction time was changing.
    Man, ain't that the truth. Looking at various YouTube videos now has me more confused than I was before I started. Comment sections have lots of fighting. Apparently espresso nerds take this crap more seriously than our crowd fighting over bindings or politics. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The Bambino Plus has dual wall filters. Some of the stuff you are being told may apply more to fancier machines with single wall filters. (You should be able to buy single wall filters.) The double wall filter, by creating a minimum pressure regardless of grind, fill, and tamp, reduces the impact of the variables, but doesn't eliminate them. Are you using the single or two cup filter? Are you filling the filter and trimming it with the trimming tool? I like the espresso I get from my Bambino, but maybe I don't know what great espresso is supposed to taste like. I do know I don't like any sourness.

I drink espressos and Americanos--both with a little sugar, no milk. I find that the specs for the best espresso aren't the same as for the best Americano--at least to my taste. (I probably need to fill more and tamp harder for the espressos.)

AFAIC the most important variable is the beans.
    Glad to see you're also rocking the Bambino! Guess my wife picked a good one. Seems a great place to start. Fairly fool-proof from what I can tell although yeah, I guess there're still some variables. Got some kick ass Black Rifle AK Espresso blend and it's pretty freaking good so far. Played around with making some Breves and Americanos this morning.

To answer your questions, I'm using the two cup filter. Used the trimming tool a couple times, but have since just dialed down the grind time by a bit and tamped. Seems to be just right. The auto-steamer feature on this thing kicks ass! REALLY liking the machine so far. Especially for a novice like me who (A) certainly couldn't afford anything higher end and (B) would have NO freaking idea what to do with said higher end machine.

Like you said, perhaps I too have no idea what "great espresso" is supposed to taste like, but what I will say is so far this homemade stuff completely blows away ANYTHING I've ever had at any coffee shop. Domestically at least.

Montucky,
    I spent about a year with that exact same setup.
    Here’s what I suggest:
    1. Buy a $15 gram scale on Amazon. Get the 0.0 rather than the 0.00. You don’t need to know how much one bean weighs, but you will want it to be able to tare a mug full of drink. Focus on controlling the ratio variable of how much bean you ground to how much liquid you got out. All the other tweaking takes a back seat to making sure you’re consistent.

However many are in a shit ton.