Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1553
    Lelit Elizabeth is like the MaraX but with a PID, right? Tgapp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Lelit Elizabeth is like the MaraX but with a PID, right? Tgapp?

Nah totally different. Elizabeth is a budget double boiler machine, MaraX is a heat exchanger with some fancy electronics which overcome the biggest limitation of heat exchanger machines.

All else being equal, a double boiler is better than a heat exchanger, but If it were me I'd get the MaraX. The Elizabeth has a very small steam boiler (I guarantee the MaraX will steam quite a bit better), and because it isn't an e61, you can't add flow control to it. Both are solid choices - I just love e61 machines.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Thanks. So you see the MaraX with a PID (flow control) as the best choice? Do I have the terms right?

I like spending the time to make good espresso at home NOW when I have the time to do it. My fear is that with kids and eventually having to go back to an office I won’t have all that time and will revert back to good coffee, quickly. That’s where I came to the idea the Elizabeth might be easier to dial in and set up for quicker results.

ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Abraham - douche your box if you want the Gaggia shipped to you. Cheers!

Thanks. So you see the MaraX with a PID (flow control) as the best choice? Do I have the terms right?

I like spending the time to make good espresso at home NOW when I have the time to do it. My fear is that with kids and eventually having to go back to an office I won’t have all that time and will revert back to good coffee, quickly. That’s where I came to the idea the Elizabeth might be easier to dial in and set up for quicker results.

The Elizabeth and the MaraX will be identical in terms of workflow, and very close in terms of preheat times. A smart socket makes preheating the machine a non-issue, so long as you have a semblance of normalcy in your morning routines. My Bianca takes just a few minutes to get up to temp for pulling shots. Steaming milk takes longer, but that's a bit of a rarity these days. I'd still get the MaraX, but that's just personal preference. I <3 e61's, they're the fucking best.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    cool from an engineering perspective, but honestly, for what it does it's way too complicated, and the workflow looks finnicky as fuck. not only that, but the biggest advantage of entry level manual machines is that they are usually levers - levers have a bit of a learning curve but objectively produce the best espresso. there's a whole group of $8k machines that basically try to mimic levers with fancy electronics and shit. for the $400-550 range, i'd get one of those small levers, no doubt. if it was me, i would look at a cafelat robot or a flair - particularly, a Flair 58x.

levers make bomb ass espresso and they are fun to work with

Abraham - douche your box
    It stanky.

espresso making mags?

Thanks again, Tgapp for the response. I’ve been actually doing some research and found a few of these. Helpful:

https://youtu.be/MDMwKSUbN9E

Douche thy box, Abraham. I’m glad to ship you the Gaggia but the shipping quote wasn’t cheap. I can’t PM you though.

Thanks again, Tgapp for the response. I’ve been actually doing some research and found a few of these. Helpful:

https://youtu.be/MDMwKSUbN9E

Douche thy box, Abraham. I’m glad to ship you the Gaggia but the shipping quote wasn’t cheap. I can’t PM you though.

great video. I agree with his analysis completely - both fantastic machines, and it's honestly hard to pick between the two.

one thing that I feel like he failed to emphasize though is that flow control doesn't just make the MaraX on par with the Elizabeth in terms of pre-infusion, it turns it into a whole different class of machine. Flow control opens up so many possibilities in terms of shot profiling and shot styles (alonges, super light roasted shots, etc), that the capacity to add that feature alone makes an e61 machine worthwhile. Even if you don't do that upgrade for a couple years, the fact that it will never be possible on an Elizabeth is what would make me ultimately choose the MaraX.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

What temperature is your espresso immediately after pulling a shot? I’m getting like 160 with a preheated Porto filter and cup. Hot water dispenser is 210.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Not really the high end gear this thread is catering to, but I'm getting ready to put my Breville Bambino Plus/Pro on Ebay and figured I'd see if a mag wants it first. Great shape. Just descaled it. Used it intensively for about 8 months and haven't used it for the last 6 months. I've got 2 portafilters, and 2 sets of filter baskets (pressurized and regular). Thinking $300 plus shipping.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Not really the high end gear this thread is catering to, but I'm getting ready to put my Breville Bambino Plus/Pro on Ebay and figured I'd see if a mag wants it first. Great shape. Just descaled it. Used it intensively for about 8 months and haven't used it for the last 6 months. I've got 2 portafilters, and 2 sets of filter baskets (pressurized and regular). Thinking $300 plus shipping.
    I have the Plus. (Not sure the Pro is still available; the difference is the Pro has one and two wall baskets and a larger portafilter). I'm very happy with it. I got it for the size. I am proof that it's idiot proof; it won't appeal to people who like to fuss over their espresso.

espresso making mags?

Yea, I’ve got the second portafilter and the standard (not-pressurized) filter baskets.
    I loved it, but have switched entirely to the V60.
    The Bambino is worth it for the milk frothier alone. That thing is genius.

On eBay now.

However many are in a shit ton.

I am almost a year of two shots a day with mine, and love it.

I wanted to drop in here and thank you all for your advice. The MaraX has been dishing out the goods daily! My wife, the main catalyst into why we did not go this route sooner, has now confirmed the goods we make at home are superior to 90% of cafe-bought espresso. That 10% I believe is related mostly to my inability to make awesome\cute designs in my latte milk pours. (I am Americano nearly all the time, so I don't really practice much) I also like that little needle poker suggested here to make sure the grind is evenly distributed prior to pulling. My wife thinks I am crazy but doesn't matter. I like it, and it pulls better in my mind. Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    I wanted to drop in here and thank you all for your advice. The MaraX has been dishing out the goods daily! My wife, the main catalyst into why we did not go this route sooner, has now confirmed the goods we make at home are superior to 90% of cafe-bought espresso. That 10% I believe is related mostly to my inability to make awesome\cute designs in my latte milk pours. (I am Americano nearly all the time, so I don't really practice much) I also like that little needle poker suggested here to make sure the grind is evenly distributed prior to pulling. My wife thinks I am crazy but doesn't matter. I like it, and it pulls better in my mind. Thanks all!
    ha yeah my latte art still sucks, even six years on. i care way more about microfoam quality and structure than latte art - but my wife loves giving me shit about it.

glad the MaraX is working out for you. i think that's the best machine on the market right now.

when you get bored with it add a flow control valve

My Christmas list was a bullet coffee roaster, Mara X, and Niche Zero coffee grinder and my wife just laughed at me and said I wasn’t good enough for any of those things.

Sometimes you’ve got to reward yourself. Only you know how good you’ve really been.

Sometimes you’ve got to reward yourself. Only you know how good you’ve really been.

I think I’m going to get the bullet as a “reward”, I believe that will have the most impact on my coffee and enable me to share more coffee (it would roughly quadruple my roast output per hour).

Agreed. And if your wife drinks coffee, she'll benefit too. Really, the gift would be for her if she likes coffee, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I think I’m going to get the bullet as a “reward”, I believe that will have the most impact on my coffee and enable me to share more coffee (it would roughly quadruple my roast output per hour).
    I see you neufox, coming for the "king of coffee on tgr throne". don't blink.

Nah just kidding, you should get a bullet, figure out the learning curve, and then send me all your profiles in 6 months to a year once you've got that thing dialed. I'd be stoked for you. Bullet definitely gets my vote.

I've got a Weber Key on order, and I'm eyeing a nice roaster on KSL (a big 2.5lb Buckeye). If we weren't in the middle of a remodel I would have pulled the trigger already. Instead, I'll just have to live vicariously through you.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Anyone have a small thermos for Espresso they like? I would much rather make one in the morning and take it to the Mountain than pay Mammoth $4 or whatever it costs these days?
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Anyone have a small thermos for Espresso they like? I would much rather make one in the morning and take it to the Mountain than pay Mammoth $4 or whatever it costs these days?
    https://fellowproducts.com/products/carter-move-mug

The 8oz version is the smallest thermos I know of. Furthermore, the ceramic lining in it means that your espresso won't taste like stainless steel by the time you get to Mammoth. Espresso is acidic enough (as is coffee) that your unlined (stainless) thermos will impart noticeable flavor; ceramic lining keeps that from happening.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

^ this. That Carter mug is the best ever

[low rent] does the aero press fit in the lip of that fellow mug? [/low rent]