Page 57 of 63 FirstFirst ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1553
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I realize that this question is not up to the standard of this thread but how to I grind beans and make a cup of espresso without leaving grinds all over the counter?
    I use the cone to catch most of the grinds but still i need to clean the counter daily

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Anyone tried this method of brewing over a frozen metal ball? Used by 2021 espresso champion

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRxK3fNU/

TRust me I have never been acused of being too neat

even tho the Rancillio Sylvia is built like a tank I managed to fack it up after about 10 yrs of abuse/ neglect,

I thot about just getting a new breville or something but my son convinced me I should send it in for service cuz they re so simple
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Anyone tried this method of brewing over a frozen metal ball? Used by 2021 espresso champion

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRxK3fNU/
    wow that is interesting

Re: the Finca Potosi - very, very, good in both espresso and aeropress. Almost a "funk" to it which takes a bit of getting used to, but the flavour is so enticing and develops, almost like a scotch, all the way from first taste to finish!

Rosso (pretty well esteemed roaster/cafe up here in Canuckland) is bringing in some pretty crazy stuff for the holiday season, including this one, which is $92 for 150 grams!! @Tgapp - you can retire early at those prices. Pretty sure I have bought coke cheaper than that...

Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    Re: keeping your station clean - part of the answer is "it's impossible", another part is "use a couple drops of water on your beans to prevent as much static as possible and spend more time cleaning than making coffee..."

In other news, just received a bag of this, which supposedly was used in a couple pretty major competitions and is highly regarded... will report back.

Attachment 432353

Got the Sylvia back from Espressotec in Vancover, they seem pretty with it and very fast

full maintenance/ pump/ expansion valve/ various gaskettes o-rings 3 hrs labor = 650 $ which is still cheaper than buying another Rancillio Sylvia @ 1100+

5 shots a day is like 1500 a year x 10 years is how one justifys the cost of getting caffeinated

edit: the new pump made sylvia like brand new with full pressure so the 1st cup was not amazing, there some minor re calibrating what i was putting in the port-a-filter
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-26-2022 at 05:56 PM.

I’ve been getting my ass kicked at work, so without a permanent roasting station I bought a kg to get me through a week or two until I can roast a batch.

DP benti nenka ethiopia from Cimarron. Roast date 11/21.

20g in 46g out in 72sec. Berries, stone fruit and jasmine, doesn’t get better IMO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2004.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	436117

https://www.cimarronroasters.com/products/benti-nenka

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I’ve been getting my ass kicked at work, so without a permanent roasting station I bought a kg to get me through a week or two until I can roast a batch.

20g in 46g out in 72sec. Berries, stone fruit and jasmine, doesn’t get better IMO.

Hell yeah Cimarron!! Love those guys. So much of my roasting philosophy is influenced by Eric too. Glad to see him getting some support

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Hell yeah Cimarron!! Love those guys. So much of my roasting philosophy is influenced by Eric too. Glad to see him getting some support

I remember you saying how good their coffee was when I moved there. You weren't wrong! I hardly ever go out for coffee but I need to make a point to go there more often.

If i have more than 35 second or so, my espresso comes out bitter

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    If i have more than 35 second or so, my espresso comes out bitter

Jacks using flow control so that 72 is likely inclusive of ~35 seconds of pre-infusion.
    Uno mas

He also is using lighter roasts than a standard espresso roast. Light roasts are much much harder to overextract. Finer grind, higher temps and longer pulls. Otherwise a light roast will just taste acidic in an espresso.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fuck that looks good. Sadly didn't get that on my last subscription drop from them and am now paused for a while while I travel and work through some wonderful pounds from tgapp.

Also using a Rancillio Sylvia here. Struggled to find a good grinder that can handle the harder light roast of 3rd wave single origin beans. Currently on an Ascaso that does OK. It’s super clumpy with static and tends to create some slight extraction issue (bottomless PF). Just bought a smart plug so the La Sylvia has been heating for a half hour before I wake. What a game changer. Should have gotten a timer day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Also using a Rancillio Sylvia here. Struggled to find a good grinder that can handle the harder light roast of 3rd wave single origin beans. Currently on an Ascaso that does OK. It’s super clumpy with static and tends to create some slight extraction issue (bottomless PF). Just bought a smart plug so the La Sylvia has been heating for a half hour before I wake. What a game changer. Should have gotten a timer day 1.
    you gotta start doing WDT and RDT

Mist your beans with water before you grind (eliminates clumping from static) and then zoom a needle around them to break up any chunks that remain

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    i been using a capresso infinity on 14 with dark kicking horse coffee the whole time i been using the sylvia

Bought a fancy new induction range. An afterthought was, will my stove top espresso pot still work? I'm happy to say, it does. I'm also blown away to say it only takes 2 minutes to brew a 400ml pot. My gas stove was about 7 minutes. Combined with the Ollygrin burr grinder I got myself for Christmas and I'm a happy espresso makin fool. My beans are Lavazzta Rossa. Mmmm, mmmm.

Anything new and compelling in the world of grinders for home espresso use??

My trusty Baratza Vario has served me well but I’ve been on the absolute finest setting for awhile with no further adjustment available, the sliders are starting to slip and the burrs are very well used so figured I should consider upgrading.

Requirements: needs to be less than 16” tall cos I’m not remodeling the kitchen anytime soon.
    I have no need for anything other than espresso grind,
    I like the timer cos it seems consistent enough for me but i guess i could try a new workflow with single serve grinding if compelling

Any suggestions before I start going down the coffeegeek/ Reddit worm hole ?

Fwiw have an ECM Synchronica with flow control so current grinder is by far weak link in my setup.

I’ve been happy with my niche zero. Niche just released the duo with larger burrs so there will undoubtedly be zeros hitting the used market.

I’ve been happy with my niche zero. Niche just released the duo with larger burrs so there will undoubtedly be zeros hitting the used market.
    I agree on the niche. It's by far the best value in grinders, and it punches well above it's price. ECM Synchronika + a Niche Zero is about as good as it gets. Killer setup.

Oh man, 83mm burrs for $750!?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Oh man, 83mm burrs for $750!?
    It's an 83mm flat, so comparing it to the original Niche Zero is a bit of apples to oranges. Very different grinder for very different applications. Some people prefer flats, others like Conicals. But like, in terms of raw surface area, an 83mm flat is like a 73mm conical, give or take. So it's bigger but not absolutely massive.

Flat = more unimodal distribution, fewer fines
    Conical = bimodal, more fines, generally preferred for espresso.

People who brew filter style prefer flats. For espresso, it's mixed - some people are firmly in the flat camp, but I like my big old conical (I have a Weber key right now, which is an 83mm conical - significantly bigger than the niche duo). I did back the timemore sculptor to get their 78mm flat, but I'll be using that exclusively for drip coffee.

Turin has a new DF83 which incorporates all the improvements from the various iterations of the DF64 and is apparently a beast of a grinder.
    If you're not familiar, Turin appears to be Chinese company that started making more or a less knockoff of the Lagom P64. It was cheap and worked well but had some issues so it started a whole mini industry of 3D printed mods and accessories. The Turin people are apparently quite savy and kept incorporating these things into revised versions of the P64, eventually addressing pretty much every issue people had. Then they made the big guy DF83 which can be had for $600. Reviews are very positive so far.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

espresso making mags?

^^ yeah, I started reading about the niche, that lead to “reviews” about the “niche killer” aka df64, that lead to looking at the df83, then the online chatter drifts to the timemore which as far as i can tell remains a crowdfunding hope and dream. I get all excited by these $600 chinese made grinders that with just a quick easy $300 burr upgrade claim to outperform the old $3k Italian grinders of old. Then somewhere someone says if you’re going to spend that much just get a Lagom P64 / Zerno Z1/ Kafatek Monolith / Acacia Orbit / Weber Key etc none of which I’d ever heard of so now I gotta research them and find out they’re $1.5 - 2.5k and unobtanium until like 2026……….🤯🤯
    Last edited by dcpnz; 07-12-2023 at 07:44 PM.

My Baratza Sette started spazzing out when connected to power today. A flashing screen is combined with constant grinding with no way to stop it.

Any ideas on where to start with this? Baratza support ticket system seems to be currently under maintenance.