Page 23 of 63 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Crema bitches
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53036956-4779-4E36-8C4B-534BAF2523A8.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	353.4 KB 
ID:	326859
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Curious about Grinder Differences/Recommendations for the entry level budget minded Mag:

1. Krups GX5000 $45
    2. Capresso Infinity $75
    3. Baratza Encore $140
    4. Breville Smart Grinder $200

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

if anyone is looking for an affordable coffee grinder, this is on sale $130CND down to $90CND. Then use code "bodum_10" to get another $10 off and free shipping.

$80CND to your door, for a bur grinder, with both settable grind size and a timer gives you a WAY more consistent coffee

https://www.bodum.com/ca/en/10903-913us-3-bistro

I got the baratza. Somewhere up thread a few people discussed it wasn’t good enough with finer grind settings for their needs.

It works ok for me having my morning latte but I’m definitely not an aficionado. I just want a good coffee in the am before I can go out and get one at the coffee shop.

The baratza did have some complaints on amazon about mechanical issues. We’ve been using ours for almost 6-8 mos. and it’s been working fine. The other persnickety complaint was about the plastic grind catcher and that it was very messy in general because the grinds get stuck and get all over due to static electricity. I can confirm that is true and can be a genuine frustration since you do need to clean it all the time. More so with coarser grind settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Crema bitches
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53036956-4779-4E36-8C4B-534BAF2523A8.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	353.4 KB 
ID:	326859
    I have to say that to me, the crema could be a lot darker. How long does it take for the shot to come thru?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    I got the baratza. Somewhere up thread a few people discussed it wasn’t good enough with finer grind settings for their needs.

It works ok for me having my morning latte but I’m definitely not an aficionado. I just want a good coffee in the am before I can go out and get one at the coffee shop.

The baratza did have some complaints on amazon about mechanical issues. We’ve been using ours for almost 6-8 mos. and it’s been working fine. The other persnickety complaint was about the plastic grind catcher and that it was very messy in general because the grinds get stuck and get all over due to static electricity. I can confirm that is true and can be a genuine frustration since you do need to clean it all the time. More so with coarser grind settings.

Have the Baratza Maestro (previous model to the Encore) - purchased refurb'd in '09 for about $100 IIRC.

No complaints to speak of - the static thing is definitely a thing, but has never really bothered me much.

A micro-switch failed in 2018, but it was very easy to get a replacement from Baratza, and very easy to repair.

8/10 - would bang again.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I have to say that to me, the crema could be a lot darker. How long does it take for the shot to come thru?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Never put much thought into crema color. I guess it is a bit different.

That was my big complaint as well. The grinder made great coffee, but was super messy.

I think grinders make a mess in general so I put a tray or dish under it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Curious about Grinder Differences/Recommendations for the entry level budget minded Mag:

1. Krups GX5000 $45
    2. Capresso Infinity $75
    3. Baratza Encore $140
    4. Breville Smart Grinder $200

Never used it but having a dosage scale is a huge win so, if accurate, the $60 upcharge to the Breville is worth it. The Encore can produce a great shot but grinds are inconsistent.
    Uno mas

Following. My Vibiemme Domobar Super shit the bed yesterday afternoon, any mags holding a decent double boiler e61 machine? i miss my espresso.

So can we talk dosage scales then? What’s a good but not crazy expensive one?

So can we talk dosage scales then? What’s a good but not crazy expensive one?

just get anything that is accurate to .1 g - you don't need any more accuracy than that.

i just picked up this scale: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, since all the other scales i have aren't working. you can definitely go cheaper - i used to use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/AMIR-Upgraded...-garden&sr=1-2 - but the issue there is that they are fairly fragile, and don't like having hot water poured on them.

depending on your workflow and grinder i would just single dose every shot - 18 grams in, 17.8 out or whatever. weigh the coffee before grinding, throw it in the hopper, measure the first few shots to understand how much retention your grinder has, and then adjust as needed.

Just ordered a Breville Smart Grinder Pro and Bambino Plus.
    Spent about 1000 hours vacillating between Bambino Plus, Barista Express and Magnifica. Then spent another 1000 hours regrettably going down the grinder rabbit hole. Now apparently I'm going to obsess over knock boxes and tamping mats and realize this shit is gonna take up 3x more real estate than I initially planned.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    just get anything that is accurate to .1 g - you don't need any more accuracy than that.

i just picked up this scale: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, since all the other scales i have aren't working. you can definitely go cheaper - i used to use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/AMIR-Upgraded...-garden&sr=1-2 - but the issue there is that they are fairly fragile, and don't like having hot water poured on them.

depending on your workflow and grinder i would just single dose every shot - 18 grams in, 17.8 out or whatever. weigh the coffee before grinding, throw it in the hopper, measure the first few shots to understand how much retention your grinder has, and then adjust as needed.
    That first one looks good, thanks

‘The hell are you guys doing? You zero the scale with your portafilter on it, then use a little cocaine scoop to dole out just the right weight of grinds?

espresso making mags?

‘The hell are you guys doing? You zero the scale with your portafilter on it, then use a little cocaine scoop to dole out just the right weight of grinds?

I’ve grown into a single dosing workflow. So, weigh beans—>then grind into portafilter.

Used this scale for last 6mos with no issues ($20 and it has a timer. I got it for $12 last year): https://www.amazon.com/WEIGHTMAN-Dig.../dp/B07XQS8JL6 it’s also small enough to fit on a drip tray to measure extraction, which is nice.

As my workflow evolved I moved from grinder w/ hopper, to small hand grinder, to now using a Niche Zero (which I love). Single dosing, low retention is perfect for me. The NZ also moves easily between grind sizes, so I can go from espresso, to making a pour over, and back to espresso with no fuss. Never been able to do that before w/out having to spend time dialing it back in for espresso.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 'n Steady View Post
    I’ve grown into a single dosing workflow. So, weigh beans—>then grind into portafilter.

Used this scale for last 6mos with no issues ($20 and it has a timer. I got it for $12 last year): https://www.amazon.com/WEIGHTMAN-Dig.../dp/B07XQS8JL6 it’s also small enough to fit on a drip tray to measure extraction, which is nice.

As my workflow evolved I moved from grinder w/ hopper, to small hand grinder, to now using a Niche Zero (which I love). Single dosing, low retention is perfect for me. The NZ also moves easily between grind sizes, so I can go from espresso, to making a pour over, and back to espresso with no fuss. Never been able to do that before w/out having to spend time dialing it back in for espresso.
    fucking niche zero lovers unite.

niche zero >> espresso
    orphan espresso lido >> pourover

the niche is fine for pourover but it has too many fines IMO. orphan espresso lido is worlds beyond it.

what machine do you use?

People who use the term 'workflow' when describing their procedure for making hipster coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    People who use the term 'workflow' when describing their procedure for making hipster coffee.
    i mean, by the time a $3k espresso machine and a $1k grinder seem like reasonable purchases (which they are - home espresso machines can get up to $8k, and home grinders can easily cost $2-3k), you're well past the hipster stage. hipster coffee is pourover with a $30 v60 and a $50 "burr grinder", but committing to a prosumer espresso machine and a serious grinder is something else entirely.

Pretty slick little $600 grinder. Is it really that quiet?

Pretty slick little $600 grinder. Is it really that quiet?

It's pretty darn quiet. I'm sure there are other grinders which are more quiet, but compared to my Sette, it's much quieter.

The real appeal of it is that 1. there is zero (or close to zero) retention - which is awesome - and 2. it produces grind quality that is on par with grinders that cost far more. i get really delicious shots with it.

you can get close to the same espresso grind quality with a much cheaper hand grinder (commandante, kinu m47, lido e, lido pharos), but it's not nearly as convenient. i hand ground espresso for years before upgrading to a niche zero, and as much as i liked the zen aesthetics of hand grinding, i'm very happy to not have to struggle with light espresso roasts and ultra fine grind settings.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    fucking niche zero lovers unite.

niche zero >> espresso
    orphan espresso lido >> pourover

the niche is fine for pourover but it has too many fines IMO. orphan espresso lido is worlds beyond it.

what machine do you use?
    My exile-era machine of choice is my Robot. I’ve grown to love that little bastard. I’ve had to manage caffeine intake b/c being at home more means I keep going back for another. Shots taste too damn good. Just ordered some decaf to try and help, it’ll taste worse and hopefully slow down those afternoon shots.

My pour over game is weak. For the last 20yrs I’ve used an Elfo KF-300 Swiss Gold filter. Typically I’m a two doubles in the morning, but I do occasionally enjoy a shot-and-a-pour on some mornings. I’ve never had a dedicated pourover grinder, but I’ve also never had an espresso grinder that worked as well, with as little fiddle, as the NZ for switching between. Usually my grinders are terrible for pours and a pain in the ass to get back in shape for espresso.

NZ is the quietest I’ve ever had. No qualms about firing it up early in the AM when others are asleep. Other than the manual, that’s always crossed my mind in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I think I’m too old to be a hipster? I do worry about my hips (and pelvic girdle in general) a lot more these days though.

If you’re not sure, then you’re sure.