Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Yes, about a month ago I back flushed it and then took it apart up to the shower head and soaked it in their branded tabs. The shower head was pretty gross and I was convinced that would have sorted out the issue. Nope.

According to gaggia customer service they told me I really didn’t need to run the decalcifier liquid through the machine itself since I only use bottled water. There was a test they had me do with the part that regulates pressure with the solenoid valve and that seemed fine as well (no calcium deposits).
    Hmm, maybe somebody else knows what's up then. I use filtered in my Sylvia, and I see a difference after I Dezcal, so the Gaggia folks know what they're doing, but... Maybe after cleaning you dislodged some stuff.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

My portafilter in my gaggia classic almost always has water on top of the used coffee grounds puck when I take it out to clean it after the espresso shot is made.

Anyone have any thoughts or had same issue or has any idea to remedy?

I’ve tried to change the grind settings and if it’s ground too fine it clogs. If it’s too coarse if basically spits out brown water. So I think I’m in the right place or close to it with grind settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Possibly not enough coffee in the puck. Coffee volume, grind and tamp pressure all play into getting a good shot but if you're not using enough coffee the classic will leave water on the puck.
    Suggest trying a bit more coffee with a slightly coarser grind until you get desired result

That Breville Bambino Plus I bought is quite nice. I got an excellent cup the first time. A couple of nice features--you can adjust the one cup and two cup settings to make a set amount, or operate it manually. I use the 2 cup to make an Americano. It supposedly tells you when the filter needs cleaning and when the machine needs decalcification. It preinfuses the grounds--I don't know if that makes a difference, and it doesn't seem to need any time to warm up, although I always run water through the empty filter before the first cup. I haven't tried making mild drinks but supposedly you can set it to steam the milk to the temp you want and the froth you want. I don't need all the fancy features but they are nice and the thing fits in my kitchen which is fairly important.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Possibly not enough coffee in the puck. Coffee volume, grind and tamp pressure all play into getting a good shot but if you're not using enough coffee the classic will leave water on the puck.
    Suggest trying a bit more coffee with a slightly coarser grind until you get desired result
    Ok will try. Maybe I’m off with the amount of coffee and the pressure and grind. Definitely more art and science as opposed to my method. Which is kind of more like, fuck it, I’m good.

I guess what I’m trying to convey is that I may be part art and part science but not enough of either to get to some consistent place.

Ok will try. Maybe I’m off with the amount of coffee and the pressure and grind. Definitely more art and science as opposed to my method. Which is kind of more like, fuck it, I’m good.

I certainly don't do this but some coffee geeks weigh the beans before grinding each shot. Could be wrong but I think ~14 grams is considered normal for a double. Might be worth weighing once or twice so you know what that amount of grinds looks like.
    I just know I had soggy pucks with water on top when i first got my classic and that was my problem.

Fair, thanks. I’ve always felt like that was the next step down a whole other wormhole but maybe worth it. I’ll borrow a scale and weigh the coffee and my conscience.

My portafilter in my gaggia classic almost always has water on top of the used coffee grounds puck when I take it out to clean it after the espresso shot is made.

Anyone have any thoughts or had same issue or has any idea to remedy?

I’ve tried to change the grind settings and if it’s ground too fine it clogs. If it’s too coarse if basically spits out brown water. So I think I’m in the right place or close to it with grind settings.

I will let you know! I'm an overconfident prick about shit I know and I know a fair amount about espresso makin, but this one still has me stumped. Seems to be roast-specific for me. But that could also be a grind/dosing issue.

In an imaginary world where your portafilter can hold way more beans, you could grind coarser and never see the water.

Taken to the other extreme, you could grind so fine that you would backflush the grouphead, trip the over-pressure valve, and have a huge puddle.

All that to say, you might try to max your dose out. I haven't played with that much for this investigative purpose, but need to.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If your machine doesn’t have a three way solenoid valve it will always have water on top of the grounds. Not sure about that machine specifically, but that could be the case. If you’re putting about 18g in to a double basket and getting roughly 36g (2oz) liquid out in 25-35 seconds, you in the right zone. Don’t worry about soggy pucks if it tastes alright.

Anyone interested in a Baratza Encore conical burr grinder in great condition? Light use and I’ve upgraded.
    $75 shipped to your door?
    Retails for $139.
    I’d do $50 if we can meet up in VT.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That Breville Bambino Plus I bought is quite nice. I got an excellent cup the first time. A couple of nice features--you can adjust the one cup and two cup settings to make a set amount, or operate it manually. I use the 2 cup to make an Americano. It supposedly tells you when the filter needs cleaning and when the machine needs decalcification. It preinfuses the grounds--I don't know if that makes a difference, and it doesn't seem to need any time to warm up, although I always run water through the empty filter before the first cup. I haven't tried making mild drinks but supposedly you can set it to steam the milk to the temp you want and the froth you want. I don't need all the fancy features but they are nice and the thing fits in my kitchen which is fairly important.
    What’s the difference between the Bambino Plus vs the Barista Express? Other than the obvious built in grinder.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    What’s the difference between the Bambino Plus vs the Barista Express? Other than the obvious built in grinder.

for me the difference was size--my kitchen cabinet doors had to clear the top of the machine and counter space is limited. I didn't compare all the features. A built in grinder is also a nonstarter for me because my wife and I like different beans and I already have a grinder . If you don't need the built in grinder you might look at the duo-temp. The bambino lets you preset the size of the shot; the duo-temp has you doing that manually.

Any body try the new permanent filter available for the AeroPress ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    That stainless steel mesh screen? I bought one a couple of yrs ago for the #vanlifeaeropress. Works fine. :shrug:

There seem to be a number of them for sale on Amazon. I got one for traveling so I wouldn’t need to bring a bag full of paper filters. It works great for that.
    5% more work to clean since you can’t shoot it in the trash and need to rinse it off. Which is to say it’s still waaay better than cleaning a French press.
    The one I got isn’t as tight a filter as paper. No grinds getting through, but easier to press. Curiously, the taste is notably different. Would be curious to compare various filters.

different better worse ... how ?

I reuse the paper filters until they are fucked and that seems to work fine

i got GF a Capresso 560 burr grinder for Xmas ( for me actualy ) cuz i got tired of using that fucking bean chopper and what a huge difference in the flav

different better worse ... how ?
    Honestly can’t put my finger on it. I certainly lack the sophisticated palate of many mags in here. I just know it’s different and I use the paper at home because I prefer it. But it could just be that I’m used to the paper. Or the water. Or the milk.
    Can’t believe you reuse paper filters. What’s up with that?

Try it
    Also try 2 papers

Same coffee,same espresso machine,same water, the capresso 560 grinder definitely makes better coffee

I got one at my house which has worked perfectly for 7 years so I bought another one for the GF for Xmas

For me

Half the magic of the Aeropress is shooting the grinds and filter into the bin.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Honestly can’t put my finger on it. I certainly lack the sophisticated palate of many mags in here. I just know it’s different and I use the paper at home because I prefer it. But it could just be that I’m used to the paper. Or the water. Or the milk.
    Can’t believe you reuse paper filters. What’s up with that?

I’ve noticed a distinct flavor difference between paper filters and metal. I think the paper absorbs some of the oils in the beans. I personally liked paper filters better for that reason.

you realize liking residual oils of the cooffee brewing process ^^ is backwards to popular thot ... but if yer happy

shooting aero press pucks into the bush while camping is super fun, it definaltley appeals to that inner 10yr old boy in all of us

you realize liking residual oils of the cooffee brewing process ^^ is backwards to popular thot ... but if yer happy

shooting aero press pucks into the bush while camping is super fun, it definaltley appeals to bears.
    FIFY

shooting aero press pucks into the bush while camping is super fun, it definaltley appeals to that inner 10yr old boy in all of us
    I’m confused about this post. I don’t like the flavor of the oils, so can I be cool, too?

" I think the paper absorbs some of the oils in the beans. I personally liked paper filters better for that reason "

to me it ^^ reads that you like the paper filters which would absorb residual oils ?

as far as I know the residual oils of coffee brewing are not suposed to be good

" I think the paper absorbs some of the oils in the beans. I personally liked paper filters better for that reason "

to me it ^^ reads that you like the paper filters which would absorb residual oils ?

as far as I know the residual oils of coffee brewing are not suposed to be good
    I say absorb like they don’t make it into your coffee unlike metal filters which do. I could be wrong on the mechanics/science of it but I know I prefer paper filters vs metal.