Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Ok, I think you guys have talked me out of the home espresso game. Too much money and time to invest. I don't need another hobby to obsess over.
    QFT

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    It’s not that big a deal or at least it doesn’t have to be. It’s just like anything else, you can take it down to the minutia, or you can drink damn good coffee and get on with your day.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Ok, I think you guys have talked me out of the home espresso game. Too much money and time to invest. I don't need another hobby to obsess over.
    LOL!! Yeah I get that way reading this thread too. I can def. obsess over some things but espresso isn't one of them. Been using the same Starbucks machine since 1999 and I get my coffee ground at the local roastery. To each his own. Find your middle ground and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    I'd add a monthly detergent backflush to your maintenance list there as well as soaking the dispersion die in detergent and scrubbing.
    I've heard this product works great for machines and pour over filters:

Urnex Cafiza Espresso and Coffee Machine Cleaner Powder
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

espresso making mags?

Wise man. I say go all in or not at all. The end of the day the most important thing is bean quality. You can then just use the brew method that best suits your time and taste. Will it be a jaw dropping superb macchiato? No, but it will still be an enjoyable experience. If you set the bar at beating our Starbucks or Peet’s you’ve got an easy road ahead.

Find a great local roaster, talk to him or her, explore. Buy fresh roasted beans from them, let ‘em breathe for about a week (don’t touch them), then commence grinding them daily to meet your needs and freeze when not in use. Once they’ve reached peak flavor freezing will stop any further off-gassing that will start to deteriorate their flavor.

Do not buy ground beans or anything undated or roasted >10 days ago - use within minutes of grinding - and your world will be a better place.
    Uno mas

order of importance

1) fresh beans
    2) beans you like the taste of
    3) grinder
    4) machine.

I've been using a isomac machine for 10 years, then i moved to France and got a cheaper lelit.

1. Grinder is really important.
    2. Pid is needed
    3. Pre infusion is needed

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Honestly, once it's all dialed in, it's pretty much set it and forget it. I never measure anything anymore and never tweak temps or pre-infusion time. Total ritual is 2 minutes out of my morning, tops.

The first few months were definitely a rabbit hole though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've had a Capresso (Jura) infinity 560 burr grinder for about 7 yrs, pretty cheap at just over 100$ and they get a pretty good rating

Its worked so well I got another one for an xmas present to my GF... so I can use it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    i ended up buying a de’longhi magnifica. high end of what i wanted to spend, but drinking a lot of nice lattes. would recommend.
    Which model? There are MANY. Some good prices today for cyber-monday. If I get something it has to be automatic, so my wife will use it. I can't even get her to use the Aeropress and she spends about $5 daily on shit espresso at the hospital. I think it would pay for itself in about 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Which model? There are MANY. Some good prices today for cyber-monday. If I get something it has to be automatic, so my wife will use it. I can't even get her to use the Aeropress and she spends about $5 daily on shit espresso at the hospital. I think it would pay for itself in about 6 months.
    Hard to get a good ristreto in an automatic.
    I had an expensive jura, and couldn't adjust it to pour a short shot in longer than 9 seconds. A good ristreto should pour in 15-35 seconds.
    Called them and: it's how it is.

The issue is the grinder, not enough adjustability.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

espresso making mags?

This is what your wife wants:

Nespresso Citiz
    +
    Breville Milk Cafe

She doesn’t want a hobby, she wants something as good as or better than the coffe cart at the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

But I don’t.

it is pretty overwhelming to parse model detail. i watched returns and whatnot for a few months but ended up grabbing this new DELONGHI ESAM3300 Super Automatic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N2YKQ0...p_mob_ap_share

espresso making mags?

Espresso and good coffee has the potential to become a total wormhole. It reminds me of climbing in some ways, wine in others.

If you really want you can spend more time than you have getting into the details and really Geeking Out about it which is pretty awesome.

If you just want to get a set up and get yourself moving to the point of being convenient and still making better drinks than you would get if you had to go to a shop (at least a second wave shop) it’s pretty manageable and not crazy expensive.

We used to live within walking distance of a great shop (the shop, providence, RI) that I would visit as often as reasonable even though I was paying $5-6 a drink. Now I live in the burbs and my set up is a survival mechanism.

That’s what makes me happy right now based on my set up above. if at some point later in my life I can fully geek out and get really involved that sounds pretty fun to me then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it amusing that the same forum that consistently makes fun of people with DPS skis can talk about $1000+ espresso makers.

Which model?
    Used to get these for nearly free from a friend who was a big muck·et·y-muck at Starbucks HQ.

Have a 3300 at home which I prefer for it's adjustabilty over the 3500?(?) at our cabin.

I don't own any DPS skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I hit the 'BREW' and 'STRONG' buttons on my Mr. Coffee this morning after grinding and loading the beans last night. Even in my early morning haze, I felt smug and happy, at the time and money I had just saved.

I hit the 'BREW' and 'STRONG' buttons on my Mr. Coffee this morning after grinding and loading the beans last night. Even in my early morning haze, I felt smug and happy, at the time and money I had just saved.
    If you've decided you don't want an espresso machine, why are you still here?

I just got a Breville Bambino Plus for $100 off at W-S (brick and mortar, that price is not online), to replace my leaking Solis. Haven't tried it yet. BTW, pricing on espresso machines seems to be a lot like skis--a manufacturer's price that no one actually pays and a heavily discounted price that is the same everywhere you look on line. Or like hospital bills, but only if you have good insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you've decided you don't want an espresso machine, why are you still here?
    Because apparently, it's as easy to push your buttons as those on a Mr. Coffee

I've got a Racillio Sylvia/ capresso infinity at home and a breville roma and capresso grinder at GF's place,

so its very possible to spend < 300$ for the burr grinder & ok espresso machine

The cheap bean choppers as opposed to the burr grinder will make inconsistant dust/ chunks that will plug up a porta filter

actualy the new grinder is not quite at GF's yet but its wrapped up to go under the tree, she said this thing is a POS I gotta get a better grinder tomorrow

so I said wait and see if maybe santa brings you a burr grinder ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    she said this thing is a POS I gotta get a better grinder tomorrow
    You sure she was talking about coffee?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

This isnt really much of a comment to try for the witty comeback

I just try to be stiff enough

My portafilter in my gaggia classic almost always has water on top of the used coffee grounds puck when I take it out to clean it after the espresso shot is made.

Anyone have any thoughts or had same issue or has any idea to remedy?

I’ve tried to change the grind settings and if it’s ground too fine it clogs. If it’s too coarse if basically spits out brown water. So I think I’m in the right place or close to it with grind settings.

espresso making mags?

Have you Dezcal’d it?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

espresso making mags?

Yes, about a month ago I back flushed it and then took it apart up to the shower head and soaked it in their branded tabs. The shower head was pretty gross and I was convinced that would have sorted out the issue. Nope.

According to gaggia customer service they told me I really didn’t need to run the decalcifier liquid through the machine itself since I only use bottled water. There was a test they had me do with the part that regulates pressure with the solenoid valve and that seemed fine as well (no calcium deposits).