Check Out Our Shop
Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1627
  1. #1601
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not in the PRB
    Posts
    33,355
    Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Do you use a Jetboil stove for camping?
    They sell a French Press adapter that is compact, just tell the kids its pour over, wtf do they know.
    No, we have a camper with a proper stove and kettle. I don't like french press coffee nearly as much as drip, and I want to make coffee for the day once, into a thermal carafe. French press would require at least 2 pots each morning.

    I'm not trying to figure out how to make coffee while camping. I have a setup, this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12317__27527.1683044096.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	493829

    It makes coffee I am happy with in a quantity I am happy with. I am just trying to have the coffee setup take up less space in the camper cabinet.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

  2. #1602
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    righthere/rightnow
    Posts
    3,196
    I think you win the first world problem of the day.

  3. #1603
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not in the PRB
    Posts
    33,355
    Ok, thanks for the help.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

  4. #1604
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    6,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Cross-posting because this thread was right at the top when I posted in the other thread, and there's coffee people in here!

    Looking for a collapsible coffee filter cone for camping (for pour-over, as kids these days call it).

    BUT, all of the ones I see are for single cup or small pots; the largest I have see fits a #4 filter, which works sorta but isn't ideal. We want to be able to make a large pot (directly into a thermos), so using something like a #6 filter. Any ideas?
    It’s pretty obvious what you want is to run 2 pour overs at the same time. It’ll make better coffee. It’ll go quicker. You can make it directly into your gigantic thermoses without needing to go into a huge 100oz tub first.
    I’ve watched bougie cafes do pour over into multiple pourovers at a time. It’s like the hibachi of coffee.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

  5. #1605
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    No, we have a camper with a proper stove and kettle. I don't like french press coffee nearly as much as drip, and I want to make coffee for the day once, into a thermal carafe. French press would require at least 2 pots each morning.

    I'm not trying to figure out how to make coffee while camping. I have a setup, this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12317__27527.1683044096.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	493829

    It makes coffee I am happy with in a quantity I am happy with. I am just trying to have the coffee setup take up less space in the camper cabinet.
    Can you solve this by packing things, maybe coffee beans, in and around the cone? If this is a packing problem it's only a problem until the empty space is filled.

  6. #1606
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    10,822
    Man came in here with a specific question and he’s gotten an answer to every question but the one he asked.

    My googlefu says what you seek doesn’t exist. Maybe the closest is this shitty wire thing.

    https://a.co/d/gUgUeOV


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #1607
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    4,672

    espresso making mags?

    This just in: Man asks how to brew a 60oz batch of coffee in a thread about brewing 3oz or less at a time, is unsatisfied by replies.

  8. #1608
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Man came in here with a specific question and he’s gotten an answer to every question but the one he asked.
    Join date says 2010, but, what the hell? Welcome to le TRG!

    I prefer to think of it as respecting his process, but jackattack does call that into question.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

  9. #1609
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not in the PRB
    Posts
    33,355
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    This just in: Man asks how to brew a 60oz batch of coffee in a thread about brewing 3oz or less at a time, is unsatisfied by replies.
    Lol, well played
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

  10. #1610
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    31,621
    how about the micro dosing thread where everyone just posts about getting really fcuked up instead of about microdosing where you don't getfucked up ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  11. #1611
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SLC burbs
    Posts
    4,260
    Had a bit of a scare on Sat when I woke up to cold Mara X with all lights blinking. The boiler wasn't filling properly, and the machine was timing out. YT helped with troubleshooting things, looked like a stuck or dead solenoid valve. I figured it was worth taking a look since having a Lelit serviced in SLC would probably mean 6 weeks without coffee. I have heard that these E61 groups are pretty idiot-proof and easy to work on, which is kinda true. The plumbing is straightforward, and the electrical isn't too complex, but everything is so packed together that I had to dismantle about 1/2 of the innards to get to the suspect valve. Got lucky as there was some scale build up in there and it locked the solenoid in the closed position. A bit of scraping and some vinegar and everything was back to normal.

    Our water is fairly soft at baseline. It comes out of the fridge filter and goes through the in-tank filter as well. Yet 1.5 years in the machine is probably overdue for a descaling. Lesson learned on that front, don't trust your water hardness.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

  12. #1612
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Had a bit of a scare on Sat when I woke up to cold Mara X with all lights blinking. The boiler wasn't filling properly, and the machine was timing out. YT helped with troubleshooting things, looked like a stuck or dead solenoid valve. I figured it was worth taking a look since having a Lelit serviced in SLC would probably mean 6 weeks without coffee. I have heard that these E61 groups are pretty idiot-proof and easy to work on, which is kinda true. The plumbing is straightforward, and the electrical isn't too complex, but everything is so packed together that I had to dismantle about 1/2 of the innards to get to the suspect valve. Got lucky as there was some scale build up in there and it locked the solenoid in the closed position. A bit of scraping and some vinegar and everything was back to normal.

    Our water is fairly soft at baseline. It comes out of the fridge filter and goes through the in-tank filter as well. Yet 1.5 years in the machine is probably overdue for a descaling. Lesson learned on that front, don't trust your water hardness.
    Lol yeah I have replaced a stuck solenoid on e61s before. Great to own a machine you can work on, but working on it tried the limits of my very limited mechanical ability.

    Fleaches hooked me up with a fancy whirly gig thing for WDT, and it does an incredible job w/puck distribution and needling. Thanks dude!!

    Coffee is the inimitable Finca Kilimanjaro natural.

    Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  13. #1613
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    4,672

    espresso making mags?

    Ooo fancy


    Snack time

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4767.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	493959


    I had some luck with the milk this morning. Baby steps.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4763.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	493960


    Pretty good coffee day so far, even if the yearling did wake at 4:30am.

  14. #1614
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    4,751
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Lol yeah I have replaced a stuck solenoid on e61s before. Great to own a machine you can work on, but working on it tried the limits of my very limited mechanical ability.

    Fleaches hooked me up with a fancy whirly gig thing for WDT, and it does an incredible job w/puck distribution and needling. Thanks dude!!

    Coffee is the inimitable Finca Kilimanjaro natural.

    Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Does the green thing make a difference?

    Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

  15. #1615
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    31,621
    looks like a hand op burr grinder ? just give us the name or a link

    re; fixing a M/C : when my Rancillio packed it in after some 18000 espressos the quote was almost what I paid for the M/ C cuz the shipping to vangroovy was gona be 2-300 $

    but the price for a new M/C had gone up 500$ and so it made financiql sense to have the pro's fix it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  16. #1616
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,396
    yes the green thing makes a difference

    it's not a hand grinder it's a spirograph for WDT and puck distribution

    Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  17. #1617
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    31,621
    i had a spirograph when i was 10 and they were fun

    I'm thinking this ^^ is not that
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  18. #1618
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,107
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    looks like a hand op burr grinder ? just give us the name or a link
    Search "6 core grinder" or "7 core grinder" on aliexpress.
    I can't link a specific one, because they change all the time, but you'll see a bunch of grinders all machined from a big chunk of aluminum billet and all using the same grinding burrs. Some have replaceable burrs. Some even let you adjust the grind from the outside.
    "Timemore" is the brand that gets sold on Amazon for a 100% markup over the ones on aliexpress.
    The standard ones you find on ebay and amazon have a 5-core burr, which will barely grind fine enough for espresso.
    The 6-core will grind so fine that it bricks up my machine and I don't get a shot. It has fine enough adjustment to get the time per shot correct on all the coffees I've tried so far.
    The 7-core should grind even finer if you like Turkish coffee, but I haven't tried it.

  19. #1619
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Driving2VT
    Posts
    4,609
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    yes the green thing makes a difference

    it's not a hand grinder it's a spirograph for WDT and puck distribution

    Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Distribution envy
    Uno mas

  20. #1620
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    11,380
    Thinking of a Profitec 300 to replace the Gaggia Classic. SS boilers ftw right? 2 person household, don’t steam milk very often (apparently not a strength of the 300). I prefer to repair things myself so I’m trying to avoid the brands that require you to send it in for routine repairs/maintenance.

    Have purposely avoided the rabbit hole of the dedicated forums. Happy with my current grinder.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

  21. #1621
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hyperspace!
    Posts
    1,382
    to pile on frorider's request, cause - good question.
    my lovely spouse was just asking when we are going to get a proper espresso setup. figure we have an anniversary coming up so that's as good a reason as any, right?
    problem is, she is more a full auto type and i'm more of the geek out type who reverts to full auto when too busy, though i prefer to repair things myself.
    any recommended units that are a happy middle ground between diy and full auto? 2 persons, limited steam.
    for reference, i dig pulling shots with a la pavoni, but she would prefer to press a button like we did in japan last winter - also, she has no idea there are different grinders

  22. #1622
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,396
    there's no middle ground between a full diy machine and a full auto that I'm aware of - but you could get a pretty simple push button grinder dialed in with a straightforward tamp workflow. still, there's a learning curve and a lot of steps there. Maybe add in an auto steamer like this one?

    https://subminimal.com/products/nano...waAuYEEALw_wcB

    take this with a massive grain of salt but I would take a lelit MaraX over a Profitec pro 300 any day. add flow control to that and you've got an extremely capable machine. full disclosure, I'm an absolute sucker for e61s - I'm sure the Profitec is a great machine.

    Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  23. #1623
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,455

    espresso making mags?

    We replaced our Breville with a profitec for the ability to service it at home. Sending in an espresso machine and paying for shipping back drives up the price of a machine considerably - especially when you live in the middle of nowhere!

  24. #1624
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    11,380
    The MaraX pre infusion advantage was on my radar, but then I read that users are using a short twist on the steam valve as a pre infusion on the 300.

    I had thought the main advantage of a heat exchanger is price & warm up time, but the MaraX has twice the warm up time as the boiler 300 and same price. Well anyway this is enough of a rabbit hole, maybe I’ll flip a coin
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

  25. #1625
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    4,672
    Buy once cry once.

    I have no regrets with the Bianca v2 and Niche Zero.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •