Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I have a Nespresso machine that I was given - do you get them in the US? It uses foil capsules which I was a bit sniffy about. That said, it removes all the variables and you get an awesome shot every time (has its pluses and minuses - I like things with a learning curve and there are only about 20 coffees to choose from) which means I can make coffee super quickly in the morning. Cost wise the coffee compares to buying a mid-range roast from an independent roast house.

Also have a couple of stove-top pots. I like the coffee but it never compares to a pumped espresso due to the lack of any crema (if anyone knows how to get a crema let me know). I used to carry a mini one and an ultra light butane stove when touring around La Grave. There's a nice bit of ceremony to brewing up at the top of a line and drinking a cup whilst getting your head together for the descent.

I have a Jura Impressa E8. I am sure I have saved money on beans alone based on not grinding a boatload of beans to make a pot I may only drink a cup or two out of.

I am really, really wanting to get a mnual style machine. I dont think my machine make the shot I dream about.

On a side note, one of the best shots I have had was at Cafe Fiori in South Lake Tahoe. The New Zealand Venison was pretty ridiculous too

MF

Saeco Magic Delux superauto. I know the purists disagree with the use of a superauto since they can't tamp the grounds themselves and whatnot, but it's just so convenient. I push a button and wait and the machine grinds, tamps, brews, and trashes the spent grounds. It's love. I usually have an a couple of shots in the momrning. I've been skimping on the beans a bit by using Daz Bog's White Nights or Caspian espressos. Been thinking of stepping up to some primo shit, but I don't know where to get it in the Denver metro.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Stovetop for me and it's awesome. I have the big one. 28 ounces of high test espresso into my preheated go cup, splash of milk and I am good to go for a while.

Been rocking the Free trade Organic Love Buzz. No shit that is the name.

Great coffee too, not just a pretty name.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Mntlion and I got out our danger coffee pot this morning, reserved for visitors and grey, rainy November mornings. We love to have this when the woodstove is going, we grind the coffee in a hand grinder and sit and let it brew slowly. And then you drink the coffee and post lots on TGR!!!!

what exactly is espresso...what sets it aside from coffee? that's what i don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    We get beans by mail order now from The Wandering Goat in Eugene OR. www.wanderinggoat.com/index.php?action=home

Way better for the same price as Starbucks beans. Really diggin' the yirgacheffe
    wow, i thought i had something to add and here you go shitting on my parade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post
    I like the coffee but it never compares to a pumped espresso due to the lack of any crema (if anyone knows how to get a crema let me know).
    At one point I was grinding my beans so fine that I was getting a lot of microfine grit at the bottom of my cup, so i started inserting a layer of regular coffee filter between the coffee chamber and the 3rd stage when screwing it together.

That kept the fine coffee precipitate out, but it compromised the seal between the coffee chamber and the top part by allowing the thing to suck a little it of air during the brewing...which resulted in something that resembled crema, but it may have just been carbureted foam.

Edit for pics.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatecoveredbacon View Post
    what exactly is espresso...what sets it aside from coffee? that's what i don't understand.
    Steam goes through the coffee instead of hot water.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

With the little stovetoppers, steam goes through coffee, or steam pressure pushes the water through the grounds.

In a true machine, the coffee is really finely ground and tamped into a puck; hot water is pumped through the puck by a mechanical pump (or hand lever) at pressures about 9 times atmospheric pressure. Because of the high pressure very little water is needed to extract the flavor from the beans so you get a very strong but small amount of coffee.

Expobar Office Lever at home:

Since I work from home, this means many shots of espresso through out the day.

Quote Originally Posted by StormDay View Post
    Expobar Office Lever at home:

Since I work from home, this means many shots of espresso through out the day.
    Is your machine plumbed?

I'm potentially in the market for a new machine and this one, if it can be plumbed, looks like a nice contender.
    Keep it off my wave...Soundgarden

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    With the little stovetoppers, steam goes through coffee, or steam pressure pushes the water through the grounds.
    so what is the difference to the finished product? We use the stovetoppers (and like $20 vs $200+) but just wondering

La Pavoni Europpicola customized by my employer as a gift for 15 years of employment. This thing is fun, but a challenge to get a shot with good crema and body. It's an art that takes practice.
    washu feeze drive me to firenze?

Actually the water never boils, so there is no steam. It's just the expansion of the water volume from heat that forces the cooler-than-boiling water through the grounds, which is good, because the optimum brewing temp is more like 195 F. Mine never comes close to that, because I brew it at low-medium heat to slow the movement of the water through the coffee chamber for a stronger saturation, but less acidic flavor that higher temp brewing can cause.

Pwned bio bio-smear! I've only used the stovetoppers a bit, not enough to comment on the difference between espresso made with them and a big machine. I wasn't that happy with what came out but both times I was using cheap grinders and store-bought beans, so its not possible to make a fair comparison.

I'd rather have good beans, a kettle and a dirty sock than bad beans and a $10K espresso machine.

Bio-smear, have you ever compared side by side with an espresso machine with the same beans?

Pwned bio bio-smear! ...on the difference between espresso made with them and a big machine....I'd rather have good beans, a kettle and a dirty sock than bad beans and a $10K espresso machine.
    Ha, wasn't trying to pwn you, just trying to illustrate the difference in the stovetoppers. They make strong coffee, but I don't consider it espresso.

You're right. There is no substitute for good beans. I'll take cowboy coffee with good beans vs high dollar espresso with some shitty quality beans.

Bio-smear, have you ever compared side by side with an espresso machine with the same beans?
    Yes. Strong coffee vs real espresso, the flavor is just different because of the different process.
    Last edited by bio-smear; 11-02-2008 at 05:43 PM.

One thing I do know is that my stove topper takes very little time and effort to make me coherent in the morning, much more complicated than "put in stove and turn in burner" and I might hurt myself!!!

a bunch of espresso gear heads!
    I've got a 15 year old mr coffee espresso maker I pulled out of retirement when my wife brought me a pound of espresso from her trip to italy.
    wegmans has ground espresso for $3.79 for 1/2 lb. lasts me about a wek

Expobar Brewtus. Mrs. Slim and I enjoy the Flat White which is why we ponied up for the double boiler.

Espresso from home for 25 years. Cracks me up every day - people leave an espresso joint with a cup, a lid, and a little paper ring.

Started with a basic Krup's out of college. Blew it up, got the next better model, blew it up, got the Krup's Nuovo? and had it for while, then bought a TMR, (imported by the owner of Graffeo in San Francisco), about 15 years ago. It's been great, but it blew a gasket and I can't get the part.

Looks like a Rocky/Silvia is in my very near future. Coffeegeeks.com thinks so.

i like espresso, but if im brewing at home i do the turkish style in an ibrik.

its a much different flavor of coffee due to the different brewing method, which i prefer. im not a big starbucks fan, but i still go there almost daily because i like the girls working there.
    "If you are not nervous about your passion, you are not passionate enough about it."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tionaries3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post
    That's a nice looking little machine. You going to plumb that badboy in? And what grinder are you using?

I've been out of the home espresso game for a while now but if I were more stable here, I'd buy another machine in a heartbeat. I had a salvaged old italian thing, similar to the Baby, but I was able to coax a pretty decent shot out of it after a while. My girlfriend at the time did not think so highly of the idea of spending a couple grand on a Sylvia and Rocky combo. Bitch.

I don't even order milk based drinks here in North Vancouver despite having about 6 cafés in a 4 block radius. Mmm, I have to go across the water to run an errand later... that means a decent macchiato from Caffe Artigiano.
    I don't think I will be plumbing it in since I live in an apt. and will be moving at the end of the year. If I had it in a house I would plumb it in and hook it up to the drain too so I didn't have to deal with the drip tray. The machine isn't in such good condition, I'll post some pics when I get it up and running.

my buddy got a Saeco Caffe Charisma Espresso Machine for a wedding gift and it's pretty sweet. I think I wanna step up to something like that for the next machine.
    http://www.saeco-primea.com/
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Expobar Brewtus. Mrs. Slim and I enjoy the Flat White which is why we ponied up for the double boiler.
    Friends of mine have a Brewtus. I have to avert my gaze from it when I visit them or I turn green. So nice...