Anyone own a Santa Cruz Pumpkin Seed??

I've always wanted one of these, since they're shaped(not "shaped", designed) by Doug Haut. Finally pulled the trigger on one, and took it out to OB. Lost my center fin, and bought a new set of Future FAM2's to replace. I tried to put the new fins on last night, and they won't fit! The bases are 1-2cm longer than the old set. Do I sand these down? I tried to buy a set of the glass fins that come with the board, but it seems that you can only get them with a new board. I can't figure out why they say they're Future boxes if they don't take Future fins.
    Last edited by BS720; 10-28-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

that sucks - good luck. board looks cool!
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

no sense posting a link of what they look like
    http://www.santacruzsurfboards.com/b...series=pumpkin
    great stoke video
    http://www.santacruzsurfboards.com/video/index.php
    I had no idea SC was making surfboards
    fletcher, archy .
    badass !
    Last edited by willywhit; 10-28-2008 at 09:30 PM.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    I tried to put the new fins on last night, and they won't fit!
    that's pretty weird... I've had issues with having to force my futures in, but being a cm or two short is bizzare.
    gnarstache.com - the best daily deals on the web... with mustaches.

Quote Originally Posted by kings run east View Post
    that's pretty weird... I've had issues with having to force my futures in, but being a cm or two short is bizzare.
    Just what do you mean by "force"? Are you talking about a hammer and a screwdriver? I think I'm going to take the board back to the dealer and ask them to put the fins in for me. If they can't I'm going to send the board back. I have 3 Stretch quads right now. The fins come out of all of them. They are very, very tight, but they come out with a little juice. I love Future boxes and had never had anything like this. I'm curious if the epoxy process they use has an effect on the boxes, possibly shrinking them?

Just what do you mean by "force"?
    I mean, push so hard I thought I was going to push through the foam. taking it to a board shop's probably a good call, I'm sure it's not the first time they've dealt with something like this.

Please post a review, that's been a curiosity board for me for some time.

try rubbing some bacon on them?
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    try rubbing some bacon on them?
    That made me shudder. I use pancetta.

Kings, I owe you beer and a set wave. I applied said force, and they eventually seated. They may not ever come out, now, so I guess it's not a travel board. The new Future's roooock!!!

no worries- I bet you don't have a problem getting them out, especially if you try after a surf. I think it's more about the expansion/contraction of the plastic and less about the fins being oversized.

but have fun- that's a sick board and a sick set of fins.

Quote Originally Posted by whatcomridaz View Post
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by whatcomridaz View Post
    Not qualified to write a review on a surfboard. It's like a person just learning how to make "French Fries" instead of "Pizza" on skis writing a review on a Bro model 192cm with the carbon layup and Duke's, and how they perform in the waist-deep. I'm 6'2", 240lbs. Surfed 270 days in the last 18 months, but that's the extent of my kookdom. Further complicated by the fact that my shortboards are usually quads. The drive of a thruster is a new and magical thing to me, but I haven't surfed enough of them to be able to compare it against other boards.

That said, I love the board. It is super fast. Rocker is flat in the tail, relaxed in the nose. The added volume in the nose makes it great for paddling into slop, but not so much that it gets in the way in bigger surf. Carves like a hot knife through butter. Had it in the tube a few weeks ago without complaint. If I only owned one board, this would be it. Can't snap off the lip, do floaters, or bust ariels, so I can't comment on this. The Log Shop in Pacifica has a few available for demo. I will be happy to answer any other questions.

270 days in the last 18 months is solid. Living across the street from the beach I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Mt_Dreamin View Post
    270 days in the last 18 months is solid. Living across the street from the beach I take it?
    Hah! I wish. Foster City, unfortunately. I made a deal with my GF that we would take a travel (nursing) assignment near the beach before spending the rest of our lives ripping the pow at Snowbird. I made the life-changing decision to try surfing, and we are still here, 18 months later, employed full time. Nice thing about FC is you are right between Bolinas and SC. Plus, the sun shines almost constantly here. OB is 25 minutes; HMB can be done before heading into work at 1900, and then again when you get off in the morning. I pretty much split time between Santa Cruz and OB. 18 Months, 14 boards, and 25k on the car.

Ahh yeah, know the area well, I live in RWC now and work in San Mateo. Lived in FC for awhile though earlier in my Bay area life. With the mileage you're putting on your car you should try and get a nurse gig up at State and live across from the beach...of course you'd have to deal w/ the weather there, lol

Hah! I wish. Foster City, unfortunately. I made a deal with my GF that we would take a travel (nursing) assignment near the beach before spending the rest of our lives ripping the pow at Snowbird. I made the life-changing decision to try surfing, and we are still here, 18 months later, employed full time. Nice thing about FC is you are right between Bolinas and SC. Plus, the sun shines almost constantly here. OB is 25 minutes; HMB can be done before heading into work at 1900, and then again when you get off in the morning. I pretty much split time between Santa Cruz and OB. 18 Months, 14 boards, and 25k on the car.
    18 months...14 boards? Wow dude, I'm not sure what to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    18 months...14 boards? Wow dude, I'm not sure what to say about that.
    Uh, gearwhore?? I took a month to go to Baja and added 4 boards for backup. My little bro had surfed about 10 days, so I figured it would be a matter of time before something was FUBAR. Down to 3-4 boards that I use on a regular basis, plus an SUP for days when the surf sucks.

Not to jack my own thread, but if anyone is interested, I have a 7'2" Firewire Alternater and an Al Merrick 7'6" M13 for sale...