Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wax - Someone please enlighten me

I've never waxed my skis before, but I figured that after 3 years with only 1 pair, it's time I did a little maintenance.

I heard Bluebird's a good brand to use. Any suggestions?

I've been advised not to use the roll-on wax. Only iron-on. Can I just use my mom's iron or should I get a certain kind of iron?

How often should I be waxing my skis?

My only source of guidance when I finally try to wax my skis will be this video and similar Youtube videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLV4MzoobbE
    Anything else I should know about the process of waxing?

I live in Maryland so there's a pretty significant shortage of knowledgable people I can turn to...
    www.skiwisp.com
    Home sweet home.

this could be good.....

Just use candles they are cheaper.

Your mom's iron will work

You should wax your skis after every third snowfall to keep Ullr happy

There are lots of other tips you should know. Ask your mom or your sister to show you, if they refuse any decent stripper can give you a good look at a reasonable wax job
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

go to: tognar.com
    order a catalog
    read it
    buy the stuff that makes sense to you

"wax" is only three letters. It is completely unsearchable.

Dominator makes this great training wax that comes in videocassette sized blocks, cheap and lasts a while. I used it all the time when I was racing. I think it's like 20 bucks a pop.

There are a few good waxing threads here. Use google advanced search and ye shall find.

I wax at least every other day on the snow. Sometimes everyday. Seems excessive since I use to have a shop wax mine maybe once a season but now that I've seen the light I can feel my skis needing wax by the end of a long day.

Check out www.swixschool.com. More than enough info there to get you started.

melting crayons with mom's iron works really well.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I agree with A-MT. I wax my skis as much as possible. Occasionally my wife or I demo and we can instantly tell if the shop is waxing or not. I sure makes a difference in the flats and while skating or traversing.

It is easy enough to do at home if you have a garage. About five minutes to clean and apply. Let cool. 5 minutes to scrape. Presto.

You need:
    biodegradable cleaning solvent & rag (you can by special wipes)
    iron - prefer a wax iron, but your moms old iron will work to start - just don't use it on clothes again
    wax (really does not require a high quality unless you are racing)
    plastic scraper
    brush (I use a cheap hardware store scrubber - works fine; Tognar has better brushes)

Having some type of clamps or vise really helps. I have cheaper Red (Burton) clamps. Watch Tramdock for kits...

A hot iron, meltable materials, and lots of booze. I do not recommend ironing in Natty Light though as it does not smell very good when heated.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
    A hot iron, meltable materials, and lots of booze. I do not recommend ironing in Natty Light though as it does not smell very good when heated.
    It does help hydrate the base though.

I am betting after 3 years not only do the bases have that whitish oxidized appearance (even black bases get it ) but the edges are shit ,bases need filling SO ... unless you really to wana take this up as a labor of love just get a tune at the shop

edit :if you are gona do this every 3 years whats the point in the investment in vise/iron/files/wax and the time spent figuring out how to do it ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-28-2008 at 01:29 PM.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...dipstick+guide

Read, become learned about ski tuning.

Instructions for how to wax.

1. U
    2. T
    3. S
    4. F
    5. Jong

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

looking for waxing advice

kinda new here so starting threads isn't an option at the moment but posting in an existing, although necro thread, should hopefully work

I would like to know if using a base conditioner, like moly fluor wax from swix, first and then applying a regular wax after based on the day conditions improves anything or am I just doing double the work for little to no improvement in the end

I am doing this on a snowboard

Thanks!

Holy shit, this thread is gold. Much thanks for reviving it.

Damn, this is a fuckin t-ball setup...

Real advice: do you use you snowboard on flat ground for 20-30 km? Otherwise wax with the cheap shit and repeat when bored.

no but I do ride fairly aggressively and the groomed runs seem to take a toll on the edges especially. building up just wax doesn't seem to do it, I'm wondering if a base will help

Quote Originally Posted by adam2819 View Post
    kinda new here so starting threads isn't an option at the moment but posting in an existing, although necro thread, should hopefully work

I would like to know if using a base conditioner, like moly fluor wax from swix, first and then applying a regular wax after based on the day conditions improves anything or am I just doing double the work for little to no improvement in the end

Thanks!
    This is for your balls, right?

Adam2819, have you thought about the wax you are using? One way to protect the edges (since they spend more time on the snow) is to put some colder wax (harder and lasts longer typically) along the edges to protect them. Crayon the wax into the edges (since it is a harder wax it takes a hotter iron and is harder to scrape, so use the crayon method instead of the hot dripping- about an inch wide and then do the wax that you usually do all over the rest of the board....

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    This is for your balls, right?
    I use something totally different for them but a hot iron still plays a major roll

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Adam2819, have you thought about the wax you are using? One way to protect the edges (since they spend more time on the snow) is to put some colder wax (harder and lasts longer typically) along the edges to protect them. Crayon the wax into the edges (since it is a harder wax it takes a hotter iron and is harder to scrape, so use the crayon method instead of the hot dripping- about an inch wide and then do the wax that you usually do all over the rest of the board....
    thanks, I'll give it a try

Try waxing a little more often than every three years. Those bases are fucted. But thanks for bumping a ten year old thread that I happened to post in.

In all seriousness, don’t know how you boarded with no wax for three years. Every 2-3 days for boards and every 3-6 days for skis. Keeps you fresh and gliding, especially on flats and in spring.