Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    Do I really need to put winkies in EVERY remark that is sarcastic? Do you really think I would tell my friends "Fuck Em" on a site where I have quite a few friends???

Wow, what a dumbass you are dawn patrol. I now have one more cause I would take a flesh wound for. To get dawn patrol a life.
    Yes, you do have to put 'winkies' my sarcasm meter has been broken all week.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I doubt anyone really knows the answer to this question until they have to answer it with their actions.
    I agree in general but I think it's hard wired into our DNA to protect our offspring at all costs, including our own lives. When push comes to shove, we probably don't really have much say in the matter.

And here's a bit of curveball...

Regardless of the underlying motivation for doing so, how often does anyone put theirself in a situation where they know death is an absolute certainty? Not often. I feel like this discussion is based more around what you would willingly risk your life for. I mean, seriously, how many of you would really die for your country, friends, religion, etc. Risking your life for something is an entirely different ballgame than trading it for something.

I realize I'm sort of making a semantic point about the original question but I'm curious if anyone would answer differently based on the meaning I took from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Doktor View Post
    Risking your life for something is an entirely different ballgame than trading it for something.
    I agree. Doing everything to protect your friends, family, etc. is a whole lot different than if, for example, some nut came up to you and your best friend and said "I'm going to shoot one of you. Is it going to be you or him?" There's no way I'd say "shoot me!"

not a semantic point at all...changes the question entirely. What I'd risk my life for changes by the minute: $5, $50, a good buzz, an extra 15 minutes of sleep (everytime the speedometer shows triple digits I'd say I'm probably adding to the list!)
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I agree. Doing everything to protect your friends, family, etc. is a whole lot different than if, for example, some nut came up to you and your best friend and said "I'm going to shoot one of you. Is it going to be you or him?" There's no way I'd say "shoot me!"
    Kid or wife I'd take the bullet and I'm not 100% sure about the wife. Otherwise....

Quote Originally Posted by khakis View Post
    not a semantic point at all...changes the question entirely.
    ...semanitic in that I took an entirely different meaning from the same original question.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Kid or wife I'd take the bullet and I'm not 100% sure about the wife. Otherwise....
    Quick question, Iceman...

Did you take that picture just now?

Quick question, Iceman...

Did you take that picture just now?
    No it was the best I could find quickly in a google image search.

As far as I know, no one has ever made it out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    No it was the best I could find quickly in a google image search.
    Good enough but...

Woulda been a whole lot coooler if you did.

Or less cool depending on how you look at it.

Good enough but...

Woulda been a whole lot coooler if you did.

Or less cool depending on how you look at it.
    Well we do have that book here, if that helps.

how often does anyone put theirself in a situation where they know death is an absolute certainty?
    Just once.

What to die for is one thing...

What I want to know, is what would you kill for?

It's probably the same core group, though. Family, friends, etc. I think I'd probably rip the lungs out of anyone who intentionally hurt a loved one. Though I was two years away, I would have had a hard time going to Vietnam and killing complete strangers I had nothing against. F'd up.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Eternal Life,
    (The real thing, Ponce de Le'on style)

I'm not sure there is anything I would die for, unless it somehow meant that someone else wouldn't have to give up there life. In other words I wouldn't die for an ideal, religion, country, better life, whatever.

The only think I would kill for is life, again real life, not an ideal.

Regardless of the underlying motivation for doing so, how often does anyone put theirself in a situation where they know death is an absolute certainty? Not often.
    correct, i believe no one has ever done this twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

Poontang.

Quote Originally Posted by flyby View Post
    correct, i believe no one has ever done this twice.
    Fixed it for myself...

Regardless of the underlying motivation for doing so, how often does anyone put theirself in a situation where they know death is an absolute certainty? (Fuck off. You know what I meant.)

Careful where ye tread, ye noob.

Yeah, that probably came off a little more aggressively than I intended it to. My apologies to any veteran maggots I may have offended.

And for the record, my original sentence was retarded so I fixed it for real:

Regardless of the underlying motivation for doing so, how often is anyone asked to chose whether or not to put themselves in a situation where they know death is an absolute certainty? Not often.

There are lots of things I would be willing to risk death for, but I don't know if I could walk into a certain death for anything. I can't imagine very many instances where me just throwing my life away would benefit a cause more than me living to be useful another day. I do truly believe in the ideals this country was founded on, liberty, freedom, equality, and democracy, and would be willing to risk my life to uphold those ideals.

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    I know I'm not a coward. But I also know that dying is the end.
    Random thread drift, but how can you KNOW? That seems just as silly as the religious people that KNOW that above us is a white fluffy cloud wonderland and below us is a lake of fire populated by the dammed and little red creatures with horns and tails.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

I'm dying for a bloody decent cup of tea around here.

None of that Earl Grey shit. I mean proper, strong builders' tea.
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

If you can't find a right proper cuppa tea in London is there any hope for the rest of us??

No tea, man, now I want to die.

(Please not the use of english accent in "right proper", see how I did that, cool huh?)

No shit. True story:

A little over a month ago (September 16, I'll never forget that date) I actually had 4 gangbangers (MLDs in Chicago, for those of you who watch NatGeo "Gangland") attempt to kill me in Humboldt Park in Chicago. Detectives say for sure if not for the guy who screamed at them and called the cops, they woulda finished me off for sure. I was walking my 10-week old puppy after work and got hit with a baseball bat from behind, never saw them coming. I am healing from 9 facial fractures and a lot of stitches.

We're moving. You're a different person after another person has tried to kill you.

No anger or vigilantism is realistic; these guys have nothing (literally) to live for and got after me not for the 60 bucks they took, but because I was a lone white guy and they were seeking to "prove themselves" to the senior crew of the MLD's.

So I've had a really hard past month or so, and thought about this question a lot, actually.

-My wife
    -Don't have kids, but if I did; my kids.
    -Small handful of my very best and closest friends.

I wish I could say I would die for an idea, a place, a thing, or an experience ... and a while ago I would have. But I wouldn't.

(sorry for buzzkilling - but it's a serious question)
    Quote Originally Posted by stump832 View Post
    You're horrid, and retarded, and you like the Yankees. You lose.

^^ Damn bro, good luck on your recovery, hopefully scum like that dies very slow and painfully.

+++Vibes+++
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Random thread drift, but how can you KNOW? That seems just as silly as the religious people that KNOW that above us is a white fluffy cloud wonderland and below us is a lake of fire populated by the dammed and little red creatures with horns and tails.
    I've been in some situations over the years that helped me know myself. Sorry that's all I can say about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke Skywalker View Post
    No shit. True story:

A little over a month ago (September 16, I'll never forget that date) I actually had 4 gangbangers (MLDs in Chicago, for those of you who watch NatGeo "Gangland") attempt to kill me in Humboldt Park in Chicago. Detectives say for sure if not for the guy who screamed at them and called the cops, they woulda finished me off for sure. I was walking my 10-week old puppy after work and got hit with a baseball bat from behind, never saw them coming. I am healing from 9 facial fractures and a lot of stitches.

We're moving. You're a different person after another person has tried to kill you.

No anger or vigilantism is realistic; these guys have nothing (literally) to live for and got after me not for the 60 bucks they took, but because I was a lone white guy and they were seeking to "prove themselves" to the senior crew of the MLD's.

So I've had a really hard past month or so, and thought about this question a lot, actually.

-My wife
    -Don't have kids, but if I did; my kids.
    -Small handful of my very best and closest friends.

I wish I could say I would die for an idea, a place, a thing, or an experience ... and a while ago I would have. But I wouldn't.

(sorry for buzzkilling - but it's a serious question)
    I'm not willing to die and I don't believe in killing, at least on an idealistic level. But when I read this I just want to go and find those fuckers and fuck them up. Are you really free of anger?

Glad to hear you are changing your life as a response. Hopefully to life outside a city. I am believing more and more that he large part of human woes come directly from population density.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

thin cover.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick