anterior labral tear

for anyone who isn't sick of talking about shoulders... i subluxed my shoulder in february after landing with my arm extended, took two weeks off, then skied/patrolled for a couple months before tearing my A and MCLs. i've been rehabbing all summer, and in august re-subluxed it while surfing, then again while climbing. i finally got an mri (w/ contrast), and the doc said it's and anterior labral tear. he gave me a choice: ski this winter or climb/do shit next summer, surgery need to happen either way. i would rather ski and reahab/drink beer when it's warm out. if anyone's had similar experiences, would i be retarded if i waited till spring? skiing last spring felt okay, i would conciously tuck and roll instead of sticking an arm out. my knee will be good to ski on in two months, and i can't fall on my shoulder for 4 months post-op. i'm pretty over getting surgery for this year, but i don't want to make the problem worse.

I've had/still have a SLAP lesion like you are talking about. I've had mine repaired arthroscopically, did a year of rehab and unfortunately still have problems. I am also a PA and work in orthopedics. This is certainly not an emergent, urgent, or even mandatory surgery. for the most part, I do just fine on a day-to-day basis and even with most activities. I only have problems with overhand activities like throwing, tennis, volleyball etc. It is very reasonable for you to wait until spring to deal with this. You may need to cut back on any hucking for the season, to avoid falling on it again and potentially dislocating or tearing it more. If you are going to wait, the best thing you can do is get into a good PT program and most importantly, do your exercising and don't stop doing them. There isn't a whole lot keeping your should in place other than the labrum and rotator cuff muscles.
    Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to share my shoulder experience with you.

keep your rotator cuff and upper back strong, look into a brae if it is really unstable and get the surgery in the spring after ski season is over.. If it is so unstable that you can t tie your shoes without it dislocating then maybe think about surgery sooner but if it were me I'd try to make it though the season and then get it done. The only other caveeat to that is if you think you might put someone (vicitm or another patroller) in danger by having your shoulder dislocate in the middle of a rescue/extracation etc then maybe think twice about it.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

labral question

hi everyone,
    new here. Have been reading a lot of these posts. My boyfriend has labral tear repair done about 6 months ago with 5 anchors. He had been doing well, until recently. He feels some instability and a lot of grinding behind his shoulder. sort of above his shoulder blade. He is concerned that he tore out an anchor or tore the labrum again and that he'll need surgery and miss the ski season. could this grinding be from something other than a labral tear? would waiting til spring if he did need another surgery cause so much degeneration or damage to his shoulder that he would have to have it right away? it seems to me that it would be elective and he could wait it out. Any advice? Any experience with this jarlene? are the problems you are experiencing a year out similar to grinding? Thanks for any help!!!!

That doesn't sound good. He should see his doctor.

The readers should take notice of the high complicaton rate involved in arthroscopic labral repair. There are two threads about this currently on the front page of this message board.

Back in the 1980s when these repairs were done the old fashioned way, there actually were fewer problems.

I am wondering if the Emperor is actually wearing No Clothes?
    Last edited by drmark; 11-09-2008 at 07:46 PM.

doesnt sound good as in...could need more surgery? or could wait out the winter? he's going to see his doc soon. just depressed thinking he could miss the ski season

He had an operaton for instability.
    Now you say he says that his shoulder feels unstable.
    It sounds like a failed operation.
    What do you think?

yes, agreed. thanks. i guess i'm more questioning whether is safe or reasonable to wait til spring for a second repair? or does waiting do more damage? also, i read that you sometimes fix shoulders that had repairs previously done by other surgeons. is it best to go to the same surgeon because he has already worked on your shoulder or seek out a second opinion? thanks for your help.

If he could stand it, then its fine to wait. It wil be chalenging to enjoy the winter season with the shoulder coming out of joint, though.

With respect to goiing back to the same surgeon, if I had a crappy meal at any particular restaurant, I doubt, I would go to eat there again.
    Last edited by drmark; 11-09-2008 at 09:07 PM.

I thought I'd add my two cents. I have no medical background, although I have had three shoulder surgeries for dislocation (2 left 1 right). In my experience the surgeries did little to tighten the ligaments that had become loose or torn. I used to have frequent dislocations (even post surgery) then I started lifting daily to help. The pt and weight lifting has helped more than all of the surgeries. I wished that I had just tried that method initially. One potential caveat though I was quite slim 6'1" and about 150.

I am now able to kayak with little to no pain and no sublux/ dislocations in the past 4 months.

Good luck with your recovery!

Subluxing the shoulder isnt good for you, but i certainly think it is something that you can live with while you ski, but your m/aclat the same time. geez !

I had a revision done after being scoped in 1993 in sept 2006. I had the open done part 2 and it it is a way better repair. I also go to the gym and do lots of upper body strengthening for fun and for rehab.

I would choose a surgeon who has experience with lots of open repairs, it probably wont be the same guy.