A-basin this weekend, stupid?

I'm new to CO and itching to get my skiing on. I am primarily a BC hound but don't know anyone here yet to go with so I was thinking of hitting A-basin this weekend just to get some snow under my feet. How sorry am I going to be about the traffic, crappy snow, loads of people, limited runs......

PuderLuder

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    pretty sorry i'd say. I went up to A Basin today and it sucked. Traffic will be out of control and the snow will probably turn to soup after 10 am.

advres Guest
    The only thing weaker than running out to ride the WROD with no snow in October is bitching about how much it sucked once you go.

Say what you may, but its a waste of time.

^^ agreed. and how often have you regretted going skiing

If you're going up there to enjoy a nice day of skiing on the WROD in October than take it for what it is. Dont go up there expecting superb conditions when its fucking October. I say go for it. A day of skiing is better than a day sitting on your ass wishing you had gone skiing.

I think its worth the extra $30 to go to Loveland. They'll have more runs open and 1/4 of the crowds.

Loveland will be even worse, don't waste your time there.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Say what you may, but its a waste of time.
    Tring to thin the crowds for yourself?

I have not been up over the weekend, but was up today. I had a great time even if it was one trail, and I seen a lot of that trail over the 4 days I been up. Then again I have a pass and am happy to have any amount of frozen water under my feet.

when I was on the east coast I hike to get turns in on 2" if I could.

I think the lines will be long, but the trails will not be any more crowed since they are at copacity.

I am also a eastcoast transplant and don't care if it clear ice, you can ski that it you know how.

That my 2 cents

Tree Rat
    If it's frozen it skiable :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TreeRat View Post
    Tring to thin the crowds for yourself?

I have not been up over the weekend, but was up today. I had a great time even if it was one trail, and I seen a lot of that trail over the 4 days I been up. Then again I have a pass and am happy to have any amount of frozen water under my feet.

when I was on the east coast I hike to get turns in on 2" if I could.

I think the lines will be long, but the trails will not be any more crowed since they are at copacity.

I am also a eastcoast transplant and don't care if it clear ice, you can ski that it you know how.

That my 2 cents

Tree Rat

your opinions on all of your points will change after one season here...

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    You really can't have huge expectations this time of year.

I have been to A-basin 2 times already this year and I had a blast, but here were my expectations:

-I am going to drink beers with my friends: check
    -I am gonna wait in line a couple times all day and hike the rails instead of skiing 15 second runs and then waiting in line again: check
    -I am not gonna complain that we are skiing when pretty much everyone else in the US is not skiing: check

i have been to a basin every day since it opened, i have a pass, and it's 20 minutes away from my house, so why not. i have fun every time i snowboard. even if it is one run.

last sunday was the most crowded out of all of the days.

i have been actually fairly surprised...last season the crowds were so much worse, i don't think i've waited in line for more than 10 minutes at all since they opened this season.

however i wouldn't pay for a ticket at this point, but that's pretty obvious.

i could imagine the one run getting extremely boring on skis because the hardcore a basin skiers unless they're wearing tall tees and hiking the park basically just go straight down one simple run with mediocre snow. however for snowboarders there's trees to bonk, walls to ride up and tiny jumps to spin off of all day long and an endless bag of tricks to practice...so it's very fun.

watch out for the box they have set up though, it's flat to down and goes straight in to the mountain.

and whomever said they were there today and it sucked, that's a load of shit, it was snowing all day long, hard....who the fuck doesn't like to ski or snowboard when it's dumping out, gay.

that's my two cents.
    living well is the best revenge.

"He said he was at costco serving ass kickings up in bulk"

"Tequila is the most jealous of all the liquors. If you are going to partake in alcohol beverages and you're going to start with tequila, stay with tequila, don't mix that." ~ some bum

adam is right.

oh, and the rest of you are fucking retarded.

good times

Endless bag of tricks Beefcake... off of little foot high lips?

The WROD is fun to get your legs back for when it starts to get good in a few months. Bring beer and enjoy the gaper standing in line next to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MCH View Post
    The WROD is fun to get your legs back for when it starts to get good in a few months.
    That is what my ghetto bc setup is for. As far as I am concerned, it is already quite good.

Meatcurtains,why must you preface everything you say with "I have a pass?"

Flat-down boxes are the gnar. You stay away from those before you fuck yourself.
    So local it hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by HotCarl View Post
    Meatcurtains,why must you preface everything you say with "I have a pass?"
    It's probably because she can't preface every post with "my boyfriend climbed K2." That didn't really work out so well the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by SLSki View Post
    Endless bag of tricks Beefcake... off of little foot high lips?
    you have no idea

and carl i apologize...what i should have said is, i have the EPIC pass.
    living well is the best revenge.

"He said he was at costco serving ass kickings up in bulk"

"Tequila is the most jealous of all the liquors. If you are going to partake in alcohol beverages and you're going to start with tequila, stay with tequila, don't mix that." ~ some bum

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    i could imagine the one run getting extremely boring on skis because the hardcore a basin skiers unless they're wearing tall tees and hiking the park basically just go straight down one simple run with mediocre snow. however for snowboarders there's trees to bonk, walls to ride up and tiny jumps to spin off of all day long and an endless bag of tricks to practice...so it's very fun.
    Yeah, we can't do that shit on skis.