Page 51 of 105 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2618
    can youpost a pic of the "blue piece" that you have?

not sure exactly what it is, but after 8 years new footbeds are not a bad idea anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Less to do with my boots, more to do with my footbeds so bear with me.

On the bottom of my custom footbeds I had two blue "pieces" that helped position my foot and were underneath the heel. It seems like one has fallen off (perhaps when I molded a warm liner?) this year and my foot doesn't seem to sit correctly. And no, I never heated up the liners with the footbeds in before anyone asks

The fitter I originally used I don't have access to anymore unfortunately.

Can I fix this footbed with the help of another boot guy? If not, do I just go for one new footbed or two? They're only 8 years old, max.
    FWIW...sounds like the "posting"(ie important structure..in the 3D aspect)...8 years nyskirat = IT'S TIME For A TUNEUP! Feet can change in a few+ yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Feet can change in a few+ yrs.
    Also, fwiw: I have bad feet and require real deal custom orthotics by a Podiatrist for all my footwear including ski boots...I think the standard protocol is to get a new casting/mold done every four years due to small changes in foot shape/dimensions.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    FWIW...sounds like the "posting"(ie important structure..in the 3D aspect)...8 years nyskirat = IT'S TIME For A TUNEUP! Feet can change in a few+ yrs.
    Yeah sounds about right. He took a look at em and was able to figure it out at least for it to feel "normalish".

I'll probably stick with these for the rest of the year since it's almost half over for me and get some new ones next year when I get new boots. Do the whole shebang at once.

Have Dalbello Lupo ti and have difficult time getting foot in boot. It’s been molded and fits fine once it’s on. It’s really tight in upper ankle area and that makes it hard to fit foot through

I ski FT Seth for alpine and pulling cuff forward and stepping in is super easy.

Thinking about using long shoe horn and have stretched it to get in. Thoughts, ideas or better ways to put it on?
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Have Dalbello Lupo ti and have difficult time getting foot in boot. It’s been molded and fits fine once it’s on. It’s really tight in upper ankle area and that makes it hard to fit foot through

I ski FT Seth for alpine and pulling cuff forward and stepping in is super easy.

Thinking about using long shoe horn and have stretched it to get in. Thoughts, ideas or better ways to put it on?

so lupo is hard but seth is easy? strange, they are similar designs.

have you tried the seth liner in the lupo shell? (to see if its the lupo shell or liner that is hard for you?)

also liner on foot, then liner+foot into shell works for some people too.

Picked up some Raptor 140s. Like the fit in general (a bit higher volume than my Scorpions). The problem is with the ramp angle, 4d and forward lean, 16d. I'm too far forward (knee caps ahead of toes) and its working my quads, balance is off.

What's the best way to decrease for the forward ramp, flatten the zeppa or gas pedal with shims? Flattening the zeppa will lower the foot in the boot, so it might require a shim to compensate? Curious to hear what the experts think.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Picked up some Raptor 140s. Like the fit in general (a bit higher volume than my Scorpions). The problem is with the ramp angle, 4d and forward lean, 16d. I'm too far forward (knee caps ahead of toes) and its working my quads, balance is off.

What's the best way to decrease for the forward ramp, flatten the zeppa or gas pedal with shims? Flattening the zeppa will lower the foot in the boot, so it might require a shim to compensate? Curious to hear what the experts think.

Flatening the zeppa will open the ankle angle, (lower the heel) but will keep the boot F lean the same as the tibia is in the same place in relasionship to the ground

gas pedal will keep the same ankle angle, but rotate the whole lower leg (foot and tibia) the same amount

So: if your goal is to move the knee back, you need a more upright boot, Assuming you have removed all te F lean shims from the back of the shell and liner? Next step is to heat the whole back of the boot upper (hot water is good for even heat on teh whole shell, inside and out)
    I would suggest removing liner, heat the shell in the water bath, add liner back, put the boot on, and in click into a ski that has the front trapped under a sofa, or table, or truck etc. and lean back, WAY back. and let it cool this way.

Also MIGHT be an option to lower the rear cuff 5mm or more, but this is NOT a reversible option

So you don't think the gas pedal or flattening the zeppa will help? I have used binding shims on Dynafits before, and they make a big difference in how a setup skis.

Funny thing is, when I tried on the Raptors, I had the Scorp on one leg and the Raptor on the other, and didn't notice the difference in lean/ramp. They both felt and looked the same in terms of forward lean. But as soon as I got the Raptors on snow, I could tell right away I was too far forward.

Also, I have above average dorsiflexion and relatively long tib/fib.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    So you don't think the gas pedal or flattening the zeppa will help? I have used binding shims on Dynafits before, and they make a big difference in how a setup skis.

Funny thing is, when I tried on the Raptors, I had the Scorp on one leg and the Raptor on the other, and didn't notice the difference in lean/ramp. They both felt and looked the same in terms of forward lean. But as soon as I got the Raptors on snow, I could tell right away I was too far forward.

Also, I have above average dorsiflexion and relatively long tib/fib.

if that has worked for you great, try it. lots of options, we are all guessing, see what works for you.

Ive been wondering the same.
    How about spoilers in the front of the boot (shin)?
    or a thicker liner tongue, wouldnt that also put the leg more upright?
    Gas pedal will work depending on your binding: Sliding AFD not, but with STH style it will make the boot more upright (as well as decrease zeppa ramp).

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Ive been wondering the same.
    How about spoilers in the front of the boot (shin)?
    or a thicker liner tongue, wouldnt that also put the leg more upright?
    Gas pedal will work depending on your binding: Sliding AFD not, but with STH style it will make the boot more upright (as well as decrease zeppa ramp).
    stuff in front might help to get the lower leg all the way back in the boot? but unless that rear spine is changed (or rear shims removed) that angle is fixed.

Did some extreme home boot shell stretching/reshaping to my Vulcans.

Used a hot air gun, laser thermometer to closely monitor shell temp and a bag of snow in a ziplock bag to rapidly cool and set the punches. Shielded buckles, rivets, sole rubber and tech toe inserts with alu foil. Seemed to work awesomely...had to do a few retweaks and the real time/quick cool and test allowed for seamless, efficient, timely remolding.

One of my goals was to reform the lateral rear upper cuff forward projecting wings that wrap the lower leg for a more anatomical fit to my skinny/low volume tib/calve area. I inquired about molding the actual carbon cuff but was told no beuno by salewa so i focused on reshaping the more trad plastic wings themselves. The reshaping went very well and resulted in a precise anatomical mold that mirrors my legs shape quite precisely. There may be a slight compromise due to more resistance to for and aft ROM while in tour mode, but, it'll be a price worth paying with the better d/h power transmission/fit tension.

I also added about 8mm of lateral width along the medial shell from the mid arch to the metatarsal heads. I was getting some minor to major general foot cramping and doing a/b comparo skiing with some older blown out mercuries, discovered the issue was likely due to lack of volume for lateral arch meat spread and just a hair too little metatarsal spread in forefoot. I might wanna blow out the big toe area to allow for full toe spread...further ski testing will give intel whether this will be required or not.

For reshaping the arch area, i simply heated the shell and inserted foot into liner, flexed a bit and watched the plastic bulge...let it expand for a few minutes, then hit the area with the ziplock snow bag to set the shape. For the medial forefoot/meta head/big toe area, i added about 6mm worth of folded automotive gasket making cork to the liner to force the shell to expand. Seemed to be very effective as well.

Twas a fun project.

Name:  P1100532.JPG
Views: 739
Size:  227.7 KB
    Name:  P1100533.JPG
Views: 674
Size:  192.3 KB
    Name:  P1100534.JPG
Views: 656
Size:  155.5 KB
    Name:  P1100535.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  199.6 KB
    Name:  P1100536.JPG
Views: 654
Size:  154.9 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

nice work!

the answer to "WTF is wrong with my boots?"

Easy answer to the thread title - Surefoot

Haha jk, sort of. I’ve only been in the shop a half dozen times this season. They insisted on Lange shells but I could tell from day one that they didn’t feel right. I’ve been skiing Salomons for 20 years for a reason. Guess I’ll go get re-foamed for the 4th time- this time in Salomons.

I’m not sure if this belongs here but fuck it, figured it’d be worth a shot...
    Anyone know where to find a canting bolt for an old pair of solly quests? Would it be fine to just find a washer and bolt that would fit and throw that in?? and since I’m on the subject, how about sole blocks for em?? Only ones I could find online were somewhere in eurolandia
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1869.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	268852

Name:	IMG_1873.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	268853
    Thanks in advance!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

your local ski shop might not have THAT exact bolt, but odds are will have something with the same threads and some washers.

or a hardware store that has metric stuff (usually metric)

Has anyone ever sewn padding to a liner in the sixth toe area? I have a VERY old (10 years @ 130+ days a season) zipfit that has been through lots of full tilt boots and the fit is still awesome for the most part. However, after stretching and punching I still have some 6th toe problems at times. I can only think that it is because the front part of the liner is thin neoprene and if the side of my foot barely touches the shell I start to have problems. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    Has anyone ever sewn padding to a liner in the sixth toe area? I have a VERY old (10 years @ 130+ days a season) zipfit that has been through lots of full tilt boots and the fit is still awesome for the most part. However, after stretching and punching I still have some 6th toe problems at times. I can only think that it is because the front part of the liner is thin neoprene and if the side of my foot barely touches the shell I start to have problems. Thoughts?
    1) that liner is WELL used and almost/is dead

2) if that is the case, you sure can't make it worse. Try it. Sew or glue (no seams) padding where you want it

So I've got some Atomic RT TI 130s I use (96mm last) with some real grinding done in both. However, I seem to get a hot spot on my left pinkie toe, despite work being done here (very recently as well to try to alleviate the pain). However, sometimes it is there, other times it is not. My thought is it's a footbed issue (if you've seen my footbed post) but could it be anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    So I've got some Atomic RT TI 130s I use (96mm last) with some real grinding done in both. However, I seem to get a hot spot on my left pinkie toe, despite work being done here (very recently as well to try to alleviate the pain). However, sometimes it is there, other times it is not. My thought is it's a footbed issue (if you've seen my footbed post) but could it be anything else?
    wrinkle in sock?
    change in sock thinkness?
    wrinkle in liner?

Mntlion, thanks for input. I would think a liner that old would also be done/dead but it honestly fits and skis like the first day I bought them. I think I might try sewing something on and go from there

Update; first real test of the recently reshaped shells...verdict? They've changed my skiing and jogging. Took em out for a day of heliskiing in some absolutely heinous conditions that both would have killed my feet and challenged my ski stance/balance/ski feel, etc... felt much more balanced on the balls of feet and got a bit more ankle flex/progressive flex feel out of my vulcans. Took em out for some long kick step/bootpacks which previously caused serious cramping and felt totally fine for that activity as well. Since they're more comfortable than my jogging runners, i just keep em on after ski touring for a few cool down laps around the block. J.K., but damn what an incredible game change in fit. Thanks for the all the tips over the years mtnlion and gregL. Synthesizing the boot fit theory stuff over at skiers manifesto and utilizing the practical fitting work tips by you guys have been a great asset. Don't think I woulda stepped it up to this level of previously considered 'risk' if it wasn't for some the the online guidance you guys have posted. Cheers!

Name:	P1100567.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	712.2 KB 
ID:	270396

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Did some extreme home boot shell stretching/reshaping to my Vulcans.
    Name:  P1100532.JPG
Views: 739
Size:  227.7 KB
    Name:  P1100533.JPG
Views: 674
Size:  192.3 KB
    Name:  P1100534.JPG
Views: 656
Size:  155.5 KB
    Name:  P1100535.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  199.6 KB
    Name:  P1100536.JPG
Views: 654
Size:  154.9 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Glad the advice helped, and props on the badass snowshoes!

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    wrinkle in sock?
    change in sock thinkness?
    wrinkle in liner?
    Definitely not a sock issue, used the same socks for a while and know what a wrinkled sock feels like

If it's a wrinkle in the liner I've yet to feel it since it tends to be in the neoprene toebox area.

I've started to develop a rubbing spot (skin is constantly broken there) and thought it may be a corn but an examination of the area under a bright light shows nadda and there's no pain when pushing on the area.