Page 88 of 105 FirstFirst ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 2618
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    usually get what size liner your boot is, assuming the shell fits well. If it doesn't fit well, get one that does and dont waste time/money on liners that wont solve the issue

If its a tighter fit, get a thinner liner, but in the same size

if its a stiffer boot, get a higher density liner. but in the same size

The staff at intuition is amazing for answering questions.

If you need a thin, stiff new intuition liner, in size 25 message me. I have an extra.
    Right...but he's on the fence on shell fit... so probably a 27 intuition in a 27 shell is worth trying?

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

ya, same size liner as shell

For what it’s worth, I am between 24 and 25 and can only make 24 ski well but usually have to go 25 for the intuition liners I’ve tried. I recommend going up if your tight in your shell.

Quote Originally Posted by rigbone View Post
    I did chat with Selkirk and doesn't sound like they carry what I'm looking for. I had a good convo with Pulse in Banff so I might go get a fit with them and the guy there said he could recommend a boot at another shop if they don't have what I'm looking for.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    What are u looking for?
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    What are u looking for?
    Im looking for a dedicated touring boot to replace my Lupos. Something that tours better, a bit lighter and that requires less fiddling. I'm not a huge fan of taking the tongue off and on

Quote Originally Posted by rigbone View Post
    Im looking for a dedicated touring boot to replace my Lupos. Something that tours better, a bit lighter and that requires less fiddling. I'm not a huge fan of taking the tongue off and on

I ski the lupos Ti (90 % sking, MAYBE 10% touring) and just put on the new K2 dispatch. Fits similar, feels VERY skiable, but also can do extremo XC sking with it

Pulse has the mens pro in 25-29 (waiting on 24) and the womens 23,24

I ski the lupos Ti (90 % sking, MAYBE 10% touring) and just put on the new K2 dispatch. Fits similar, feels VERY skiable, but also can do extremo XC sking with it

Pulse has the mens pro in 25-29 (waiting on 24) and the womens 23,24
    That's definitely a boot I'm looking at and keen to check out, I'm gonna be stopping by Pulse in Banff as soon as the hwy opens again

Has anyone here experimented with using "non-newtonian" footbeds/insoles in ski boots - which are designed to absorb shock?
    I've been using them for skateboarding and they seem to actually work for pounding on pavement.
    I have heel lifts in my ski boots. Originally wooden lifts, which i switched out to rubber (cut from an old sneaker insole); but thinking of replacing the lifts with the non-newtonian ones (footprint insoles) to help my knees. But I wonder if there would be drawbacks in terms of energy transfer or something else?

I haven’t, but it doesn’t seem like something you’d want in your ski boot. Ive always assumed that a good footbed and well-fitting boot allows you to transfer micro movements directly from your feet to the ski. If there’s any slop in the system you cant be as precise and your movements need to be more exaggerated. So a soft gel insole (which I assume the non-newtonian would be, unless hit hard) would introduce a lot of slop into that system. And not sure what it help with - I don’t think my feet are doing much shock absorption when skiing, and not sure I’d want them to.

Dalbello Quantum? If it's "pure touring" you're looking for.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by himavan View Post
    Has anyone here experimented with using "non-newtonian" footbeds/insoles in ski boots - which are designed to absorb shock?
    I've been using them for skateboarding and they seem to actually work for pounding on pavement.
    I have heel lifts in my ski boots. Originally wooden lifts, which i switched out to rubber (cut from an old sneaker insole); but thinking of replacing the lifts with the non-newtonian ones (footprint insoles) to help my knees. But I wonder if there would be drawbacks in terms of energy transfer or something else?
    I doubt that replacing the heel wedges is going to alleviate your knee pain.

Yeah, that makes sense. I doubt that a footbed would work well (or better than my stock superfeet ones). Though flatter insoles are available in different widths - these thin ones (e.g. 3 mm) don't feel squishy at all, so not sure if they would create much slop. Anyhow, I may play around with them this season - as I age I'll take any little increase to my longevity on the hill. I also wonder if this tech could be used elsewhere. For example, folk are coming out with padding/armour that is soft and flexible until impact (perhaps useful for shin bang? Or impact shorts, etc).

Definitely agree with your last point - seems like a great application for body armor of some sort. I think lacrosse pads have been using it for a while now

Quote Originally Posted by himavan View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense. I doubt that a footbed would work well (or better than my stock superfeet ones). Though flatter insoles are available in different widths - these thin ones (e.g. 3 mm) don't feel squishy at all, so not sure if they would create much slop. Anyhow, I may play around with them this season - as I age I'll take any little increase to my longevity on the hill. I also wonder if this tech could be used elsewhere. For example, folk are coming out with padding/armour that is soft and flexible until impact (perhaps useful for shin bang? Or impact shorts, etc).
    As I get older I find that time devoted to conditioning and flexibility off the hill does a lot more for my longevity on the hill than any amount of gear acquisition.

Clearly, there are cases where something just won't work for a person anymore, like fat skis on worn-out knees.

Alright boot gurus, looking for some help to identify what the fuck is wrong with my boots.

After anywhere from 1hr to 5hrs I get pain/numbness on my outer three toes and eventually burning in the ball/pad of my feet. Happens with both feet and in several different brands of boots (Salomon, Lange, and Fischer). I suspect it's something with my instep as pulling up on the tongue temporarily relieves the pain. Can't identify a single hot-spot and can't replicate the problem when I'm not skiing (thus why I'm starting here and not at a boot fitter).

Boots are all 26.5 and include some old Salomon MTN Labs (the blue three buckle boots), Lange XT3 (have superfeet in these boots as they are probably a 1/2 size too large), and some Fischer Curv GT 130 low volume (these are the most comfortable but still cause the problem). I'm planning on going to a fitter (once they have some availability) but I'd like to have some idea of what the problem is since I can't replicate it in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Alright boot gurus, looking for some help to identify what the fuck is wrong with my boots.

After anywhere from 1hr to 5hrs I get pain/numbness on my outer three toes and eventually burning in the ball/pad of my feet. Happens with both feet and in several different brands of boots (Salomon, Lange, and Fischer). I suspect it's something with my instep as pulling up on the tongue temporarily relieves the pain. Can't identify a single hot-spot and can't replicate the problem when I'm not skiing (thus why I'm starting here and not at a boot fitter).

Boots are all 26.5 and include some old Salomon MTN Labs (the blue three buckle boots), Lange XT3 (have superfeet in these boots as they are probably a 1/2 size too large), and some Fischer Curv GT 130 low volume (these are the most comfortable but still cause the problem). I'm planning on going to a fitter (once they have some availability) but I'd like to have some idea of what the problem is since I can't replicate it in the shop.
    I’ve had something similar from all 2-piece overlap boots I’ve worn. I have very good ankle flexion, high instep and moderate aft foot volume, and my best guess is the “static” fit of my boots has adjusted out all problem spots, but the “dynamic” fit when flexing forward squeezes the instep of the boot directly into the nerve on top of my foot. I’d notice it on firmer days, mogul runs, warmer days, flexier boots, thinner liners etc. Once the pain would come on my day was essentially over.

I’ve moved on to a 3-piece shell (Dalbello) and have not had a recurrence in 2+years.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post

Numbness in the toes and/or "whole foot" is almost always at least partially caused by excessive instep pressure, even it it doesn't "hurt." Other possible factors include insufficient width (metatarsals folding over each other) and footbed that's too flat in the forefoot concentrating pressure on the ball of foot. Hard to tell without seeing you.

Quote Originally Posted by YaBoyBlue View Post
    I’ve had something similar from all 2-piece overlap boots I’ve worn. I have very good ankle flexion, high instep and moderate aft foot volume, and my best guess is the “static” fit of my boots has adjusted out all problem spots, but the “dynamic” fit when flexing forward squeezes the instep of the boot directly into the nerve on top of my foot. I’d notice it on firmer days, mogul runs, warmer days, flexier boots, thinner liners etc. Once the pain would come on my day was essentially over.

I’ve moved on to a 3-piece shell (Dalbello) and have not had a recurrence in 2+years.
    Sounds pretty similar to what I've experienced, I had a 3 piece Garmont that didn't cause the problem, but I prefer the feel of an overlap boot. My day isn't over once it starts but it's pretty uncomfortable and I don't notice it when skiing hard, but cat roads and lift lines can be brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Numbness in the toes and/or "whole foot" is almost always at least partially caused by excessive instep pressure, even it it doesn't "hurt." Other possible factors include insufficient width (metatarsals folding over each other) and footbed that's too flat in the forefoot concentrating pressure on the ball of foot. Hard to tell without seeing you.
    Thanks, I'm thinking its the instep and my foot must have changed a few years ago because this was never a problem. Shell fit for width is good so I don't think they're too narrow, and except for the Lange's the boots feel better with no insole (probably because it gives my instep a little more space). I don't think I need much more space as some days it doesn't bother me at all or very minimally.

Is this problem any worse with fatter skis and/or firmer snow days?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I suffered from exactly this for years, especially on my right foot, until I kinda by accident found relief. I was doing some home hobby fitting and was punching for "the sixth toe" width, when apparently I widened the whole heel pocket in the RX130 I worked on. Then, with the heel properly seated, I gained lots of room over the instep. Have skied pain free ever since. Such coincidental luck!

Is this problem any worse with fatter skis and/or firmer snow days?
    Haven't noticed a difference between skis but they're all pretty fat (range from 108-116 mm). Only noticeably worse on the hardest of hard pack days, otherwise not much of a difference between powder and a normal western hardpack day.

WTF is wrong with my boobs?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    WTF is wrong with my boobs?
    Well its tough to make a big boob smaller but you can make a small boob bigger... is that the problem?

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Lol, just my dis lex ia kicking in.
    watch out for snakes

Is there a list of reputable mag-approved boot fitters? Looking for one in Colorado.