Page 28 of 105 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Nah, I came to terms I have to use zipfits. I just need some shells to put them in. The Fischer Transalp are pretty cheap. I'm not to excited about spending money on the zipfits and then lots of money on the TLT6 when it won't be much of a TLT6 with the stiff zipfits that don't move much.

so just try on the shell only and compare the TLT vs fsicher. the fischer can go down a BIT in size, but not much.

also adding an ankle strap, on the side cuff bolts of the TLT helps with heel retention too.

Is the TLT6 strictly tech? No chance to use them in frame bindings?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Is the TLT6 strictly tech? No chance to use them in frame bindings?

according to alpine binding companies, wont work. According to my field testing on a TLT5, and a tyrolia adrenaline, yes it will work.. YMMV

Okay, here's my dilemma:

The Scarpa Freedom SL is the perfect boot for what I like to do, which is ski the resort until things get tracked up and then throw skins on and cruise out from the resort a ways. I am perfectly okay with slightly less horsepower than a true alpine boot, and a heavier boot than a true touring boot. I skied in Vulcans but missed the more progressive flex of an overlap boot.

So, based on the fit of Maestrale and older Scarpa boots that I've used, I just picked up a pair of 27.0 Freedom SL in Gear Swap thinking they'd be good to go. The 27.5 size is 25mm fit on previous Scarpa's I've tried, which is too big. I wear a US 10 or 10.5 street shoe.

I tend to like a very precise shell fit, in the 10mm range normally. These things are about 12-14mm. The shell fit is nearly identical to the Vulcans I had. But when I put the liners my toes are touching the front. Not just liner but I can feel plastic as well. Maybe skiable but defiantly not skinnable without loss of my big toenail. I have never had good luck with trying to create more toe room by simply heating the liners, prefer to punch the shell when possible.

My Question is: has anyone tried punching these boots? I know they are Pebax, which doesn't hold punches as well. Does the Freedom series run short? Should I have bought the 27.5/28 instead? Should I just use some different liners or try to mold the Intuitions?

TLDR - Sweet blog bro.

Wait. It's a little big so you're trying to make it bigger? Is that what I read?
    Sounds to me like you need something like a higher volume Intuition liner and just make sure there's a good toe cap. Or like you are in the wrong pair of boots.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Wait. It's a little big so you're trying to make it bigger? Is that what I read?
    Sounds to me like you need something like a higher volume Intuition liner and just make sure there's a good toe cap. Or like you are in the wrong pair of boots.
    No, they are too short even though they are longer than what I typically would buy. Volume is perfect width and height wise.

have you tried on the freedom with a used/packed out liner? same issue? that will tell you if you need to work on liners or shell?

also a supportive footbed, and a VERY thin sock?

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    No, they are too short even though they are longer than what I typically would buy. Volume is perfect width and height wise.
    Gotchya.
    What mtnlion said then.
    You might try throwing a little heal lift in there. Like 8th inch or less (trim it down if you have to). Throw it in under the liner. It may pull your toes off the front a little without much else changing noticibly fit wise.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Bump for great thread!

What is the highest volume intuition liner that is compatible with a touring boot?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    What is the highest volume intuition liner that is compatible with a touring boot?

https://intuitionliners.com/choosing-a-liner-model/

1) Most Intuition liners can be used for a variety of shells and applications, depending on height, thickness and flex desired.

2) a thicker (high volume) liner:

Dreamliner HV
    Luxury HV
    Power Wrap Plus
    Pro Tour HV

I actually have a set of dreamliners I scored on ebay. My toes curl up in my 265 salomon falcons with the dreamliners. Even stock liners give me a black toe. Zipfits are perfect up front. Looks like I should order the 275 tlt6 and backlands and see how it goes.

I am having a little trouble with some new boots. Lupo's to be exact. They are molded, sized correctly. I skied them two days so far.

Day 1 - I jammed my toe a few times and my arches were killing me at the end of the day.

Day 2 - I dropped in my green superfeet from my work boots and it was amazing. No more jammed toe, no more arch pain. BUT, the superfeet took up too much volume, so the top of the boot was compressing the top of my big toenail and foot all day. Which caused a decent amount of soreness that night and next day. There was no pain while skiing.

So I see a few options:
    1 - keep skiing them and the liner will pack out eventually.
    2 - remold the liners with the superfeet in.
    3 - buy some lower volume blue superfeet
    4 - get some boot work done like grind the boot board down or punch the top of the big toe.
    5 - some combo of the above.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

My big toes need a bit of room in my Lange RX130s. Anyone know where in Big Sky or Bozeman that I can get a grind?

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I am having a little trouble with some new boots. Lupo's to be exact. They are molded, sized correctly. I skied them two days so far.

Day 1 - I jammed my toe a few times and my arches were killing me at the end of the day.

Day 2 - I dropped in my green superfeet from my work boots and it was amazing. No more jammed toe, no more arch pain. BUT, the superfeet took up too much volume, so the top of the boot was compressing the top of my big toenail and foot all day. Which caused a decent amount of soreness that night and next day. There was no pain while skiing.

So I see a few options:
    4 - get some boot work done like grind the boot board down or punch the top of the big toe.
    6 - get some intuition liners. Use the superfeet. All problems solved.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

So I see a few options:
    1) yes over 5-10? days
    2) yes will speed up what skiing them 5-10 days will do
    3) yes: or grind / delam what you have
    4) try above first
    5) yes

6) thinner socks

Thanks. I posted that a while ago. I ended up remolding with the superfeet in and it's been great ever since
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

shinbang-ish snowboard boot issue

I'm having a persisting issue with my snowboard boots where I end up with my shin worn raw on my back leg. All I can find online is "shin bang", which seems to be somewhat muscle/bruise related and resulting from back-seat skiing. I'm having some sort of rubbing issue on my shin bone and as I'm a snowboarder the "don't be backseat" advice is harder to apply.

I'm riding in old and fairly packed out Burton Diver x boots (pretty stiff). I think they are about 9 years old but maybe with only 60~ days on them. I have a little bit of heel lift-off issues and tried throwing green superfeet in there to take up some volume but it didn't improve much of anything. I'm open to replacing these (and possibly going a size down) but want to make sure I understand my problem and eliminate it in the process. I find it unusual that it is only happening on my back leg.

The other variable I'm considering tweaking is my stance width as I notice that the rubbing is slightly on the inside and I've got the bindings one notch outside of the reference position marked on the board (both bindings one position out).

If anyone has any experience with this or recommendations of variables I might want to tweak please chime in.

Make sure your socks arnt slipping down and bunching inside the boot.
    Last edited by My Pet Powder Goat; 02-07-2016 at 10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

rubbing is caused by movement and motion, and that is usually a good sign that boots are too big.

whats the shell fit like?

odds are a smaller/tighter/snugger fit will be better.

and play with you stance as well, both angles and width and see if that helps.

It may also be your dorsiflexors are working overtime, maybe due to the boot being packed out/too big and having to put more force on your back leg to keep the board stable and keeping your heel from lifting. Dorsiflexors plus rubbing against the shin will lead to that type of pain. I'd definitely say a new liner or smaller boot would be the way to go. This coming from a skier though, so YMMV

Do you have hairy legs?
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Thanks for an awesome thread!
    Two quick questions, I have a 29cm left foot and a 28.4 right foot with both a last measuring 104mm.
    Disregarding the fact that boots are different in the toe box area, would you go for a size 28.5 or 29 ? does my last indicate a normal width foot or should i go for a LV?
    Not many bootfitters around in my area but the few that are present give me different answers. "28.5 should be fine if you ski with alot of forward preassure" or " def. 29 as boot can only be wider -not longer. Use a thicker sock on the smaller foot" etc...

I actually took a friend of mine to one of the shops for some new boots. He has some really wide feet, like 110last on a 26. Left him there thinking he was in good hands.. well he ended up with atomic magna size 27.5. As I thougt was weird since i know him to be a 26. Used Mntlion shell fit chart and found out they were waaaay to big. They had simply gone up in size to adjust for his wide feet. No shell fitting or nothing, even though the Magna has memory fit shell for heat molding -lol.
    This incident made me lose all confidence in that shop.. Now I have to try figure it out on my own i guess..

Anyways, thanks!

28 vs 29? no idea: shell fit is the answer

get your friend to return the boots and get a 26 and THEN make it wider, and please dont go to that shop either