Page 101 of 105 FirstFirst ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 2618
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Self quoting...

I'm giving up on the Hawx. Too soft flex and not low volume enough.

Going back to the Shaman, need to get a little punch done, and enjoy the burliness again.
    My homemade bootfitting made the already soft flex on the hawx worse. Got the newer model hawx ultra 60% off. It's nice.

I switched back to my old Shamans. So much more solid... I am happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Hey Team,
    I've got a pair of Tecnica Pro Tours. This would be the third season but only been getting like 9 days a season in them. I like the fit...well almost. I keep getting a killer blister between the ankle and heel on the inside of the foot. I've tried those Nordica heel retention plastic inserts you set the liner in and the boot fitter put a little bit of foam (like 2mm) on the Nordica heel retention inserts. I get the blister on both feet but more so on my left foot. I'm looking for advice for next steps. I'm thinking more foam on the Nordica insert or new intuition liners or new boot fitter. Previous boots were Scarpas with that heel retention strap that goes from pivot to pivot. I miss that strap but didn't like the fit of new scarpas. The current solution that seems to work is taping the crap out of my foot. But would like to get away from the tape.

Hey Team,
    I've got a pair of Tecnica Pro Tours. This would be the third season but only been getting like 9 days a season in them. I like the fit...well almost. I keep getting a killer blister between the ankle and heel on the inside of the foot. I've tried those Nordica heel retention plastic inserts you set the liner in and the boot fitter put a little bit of foam (like 2mm) on the Nordica heel retention inserts. I get the blister on both feet but more so on my left foot. I'm looking for advice for next steps. I'm thinking more foam on the Nordica insert or new intuition liners or new boot fitter. Previous boots were Scarpas with that heel retention strap that goes from pivot to pivot. I miss that strap but didn't like the fit of new scarpas. The current solution that seems to work is taping the crap out of my foot. But would like to get away from the tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Mex View Post
    Hey Team,

try a Zipfit GFT

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Any advice on how to sand down a zeppa on a newer Cochise without breaking anything for dummys with no proper equipment? Just need a bit more instep room for freezing toes and have been unable to get into see a fitter
    But another set of zeppas just in case you sand too far. Ask me how I know

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Hey Team,
    Sounds like you pronate and are rubbing as your foot rolls inwards. Get a custom insole.

Then get a Zipfit GFT. I had multiple intuitions in my ZERO G and while the HD Race gave an almost acceptable amount of heel hold once I added more heel pinch pads, and before it started packing out, and before noon on a touring day when your walking would soften the liner and reduce hold, it doesn't stand a chance against the zipfit. Zero comparison. Intuition is a waste of $300 unless your looking for something for traverses, as they are lighter and have a little more ROM.

Hey Team,
    what golden said.

plus what is the shell fit like in mm?

blisters are from movement and motion and that is casused by pronation (footbed) or shell volume/size

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    what golden said.

plus what is the shell fit like in mm?

blisters are from movement and motion and that is casused by pronation (footbed) or shell volume/size
    hmmm...I've got a custom footbed, not a full out orthotic but heat moldable footbed from the shop. Maybe I should try a thicker one.
    Shell size is good. Couldn't go any shorter. I think it's either the width at the heel or the liner just not locking my foot down. I lace them up and have tried having the instep buckle locked down and it doesn't seem to help.
    Thanks for the tip on the Zipfit but man I just looked that up and it's the price of new boots almost. Not sure that's in the budget.

I see zips on ebay a surprising amount

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

hmmm...I've got a custom footbed, not a full out orthotic but heat moldable footbed from the shop. Maybe I should try a thicker one.
    Shell size is good. Couldn't go any shorter. I think it's either the width at the heel or the liner just not locking my foot down. I lace them up and have tried having the instep buckle locked down and it doesn't seem to help.
    Thanks for the tip on the Zipfit but man I just looked that up and it's the price of new boots almost. Not sure that's in the budget.
    thicker liner (but you have already added 2mm/side?)

or narrower shell.

Once you know you have a supportive footbed try Pinch pads above your heel to help lock it down and a pad at the front of the shin to push you back.

Then get zipfits before you get a new shell.

same spot as Mex, inside of heel hot spot, right boot only

high arch, no footbed, roxa r3 130
    small punch at inside of ball of foot on both boots for forefoot width
    molded tongue intuitions (roxa liner)

skied 5 days in the resort...zero issues
    seemingly heel hold has been fine

1st bc day with 2.5hrs skinning/skiing: hot spot apparent halfway thru, did not blister at end of day.
    followup resort day two days later: blistered out a nice size that won't easily be bridged by a bit of moleskin.

feet are shaped such that an otc footbed doesn't work (arch to heel cup distance doesn't match up well). i avoided custom footbed for cost as i've not used footbeds at all in ski boots to date and been ok. I have two experiences with prescribed custom orthotics for street/sports shoes, both were expensive failures, so i also have a prejudice against just trying a $250 maybe-it'll-work option without some confidence up front.

other than this rubbing spot, boots fit

what are my options here?
    skinning rubbed clearly, but maybe not catastrophically? [wishful thinking: maybe i can toughen the spot up with some blister care first & preventive protection?]

i'll go see my original boot fitter with these if needed, but interested in your thoughts

same thoughts as above.

try footbed

shell fit?

thicker socks to fill up room.

Maybe compression sock to prevent motion of sock to foot.

but overall the boots are too big/wide, and/or footbed are my guesses without seeing the foot or boot.

how many days on them?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    same thoughts as above.

try footbed

shell fit?

thicker socks to fill up room.

Maybe compression sock to prevent motion of sock to foot.

but overall the boots are too big/wide, and/or footbed are my guesses without seeing the foot or boot.

how many days on them?
    7 whole days [jfc, this season has been garbage thus far!]

shell fit seemed good from bootfitting (not sure what you are asking for here: length/width in mm of space?)
    heel might be wide, but forefoot def isn't
    the compression sock is worth a shot either way
    are there custom footbed options that aren't the $250/pr kind?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    same spot as Mex, inside of heel hot spot, right boot only

high arch, no footbed, roxa r3 130
    small punch at inside of ball of foot on both boots for forefoot width
    molded tongue intuitions (roxa liner)

skied 5 days in the resort...zero issues
    seemingly heel hold has been fine

1st bc day with 2.5hrs skinning/skiing: hot spot apparent halfway thru, did not blister at end of day.
    followup resort day two days later: blistered out a nice size that won't easily be bridged by a bit of moleskin.

feet are shaped such that an otc footbed doesn't work (arch to heel cup distance doesn't match up well). i avoided custom footbed for cost as i've not used footbeds at all in ski boots to date and been ok. I have two experiences with prescribed custom orthotics for street/sports shoes, both were expensive failures, so i also have a prejudice against just trying a $250 maybe-it'll-work option without some confidence up front.

other than this rubbing spot, boots fit

what are my options here?
    skinning rubbed clearly, but maybe not catastrophically? [wishful thinking: maybe i can toughen the spot up with some blister care first & preventive protection?]

i'll go see my original boot fitter with these if needed, but interested in your thoughts
    What's crazy is I have the same boots, fantastic heel hold when skiing, but touring gives me the inside heel hotspot on the right foot. Left foot is fine.

First time I had a donut added, then it was fine for one short tour, but anything longer and I get a giant fucking blister. And I have a custom footbed.

Zipfits. They'll last well after your shells die.
    Honestly, no comparison in heel hold to zipfits.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    What's crazy is I have the same boots, fantastic heel hold when skiing, but touring gives me the inside heel hotspot on the right foot. Left foot is fine.

First time I had a donut added, then it was fine for one short tour, but anything longer and I get a giant fucking blister. And I have a custom footbed.
    thanks for this post -- i appreciate the input

I’m gonna see my guy this weekend and see what the solution is. Will report back.

Make sure that heel is actually locked down. Pinch pads will be good. This shell doesn’t have much of a heel cup.

The heel pocket is narrow side to side. Shell check yourself. no liner, no sock. Heel to the back of the shell on the footbed. Are you squished against the shell where you are getting blisters? Punch to create space.
    A pad on the bottom of the tongue will push your heel back and make sure it doesn’t come forward and leave the heel pocket.

Keep your instep buckle done up while touring to reduce movement.

Make sure your feet are not pronating. Get a custom footbed if they are. We sell them for 170 cdn.

Get a thin, slippery sock that doesn’t chafe.

Don’t push hard off your toes while touring. It lifts your heel.

Stock liner is garbage and it’s hard to believe it actually holds your ankle.

Ques for goldenbc & mntlion
    During touring, what are the performance expectations for a fitting boot?
    The idea is that foot is held in the clog section with minimal movement despite the skinning motion?

Depends on the distances toured.

Some people have different ideas about this too. I’d say Scarpa, Salomon, and half the people I know in Revelstoke (and keep in mind Revelstoke invented touring) believe that your heel should be free to move up and down while touring and that while skiing it should be held down by instep/face of ankle pressure. I say this based off of the enormous heel pockets in those brands boots and from comments from people I know.

I personally have zero heel lift while touring beyond the compression of soft tissue. I also don’t try to lift my heels by pushing off my toes. I’ve never had a blister and my typical touring day is 1500-2000m with steep skin tracks. I don’t do traverses.

I usually fit people to have zero heel lift based on the heel pocket. I still think your ankle should be locked in solidly. Your forefoot should be tight enough to ski but a bit looser than your alpine boots, especially when unbuckled, to ensure you can get warm when things are really friggin cold.

If you’re in a 1000g boot doing flat traverses things are naturally going to be different by nature of materials used but also because you don’t care about ski performance based on the boot you are using.

Regardless, movement is a bad thing. Just like it is in your hiking boots and running shoes.

I should clarify that everyone is different and has different preferences and what works for you, works for you. But if it's not working for you, I'll try my ideas on you. I often find two big patterns with people who tour tons. 1. Their boots are way too big and it causes fit issues but they are used to the poor ski performance and don't care. and 2. they are guides who proformed hoji frees and they are destroying their ankles and insteps and are unwilling to get different boots.

I do appreciate your posts in this thread
    Thx for adding your expertise

the answer to "WTF is wrong with my boots?"

Need help with touring boots - a riddle I’ve never been able to solve . I’m a 7.5 street shoe . Alpine in 24.5 Lange xt 130(no tech) with power wraps . Touring boots I own that all are painful - garmont radium in a 25. Scarpa freedom in. 25, atomic xtd 130 in 24.5 and a 25.5. Should I consider using GFT or pro tour liners ? Move to lange xt 130 lv?