Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    bump. this might help people right now...

Good thread.

Bought some Nordica Superchargers last year and they absolutely crushed my feet. I knew I had wide feet, but the person helping me just confirmed my 27.0 boot size didn't do any width measurements. I feel very fortunate that I bought from REI, because I got a full refund. Any other ski shop I would have been s.o.l.

or other stores might have been able to make them wide enough? I can get 8mm per side, on a 24 boot, and not loose any instep height...

either way, glad it worked.

ive been riding my fulltilts for around 50 days and they have been great. Recently I have had to switch to a thicker sock because they are getting slightly sloppy. I never had the intuition heat molded... will baking it now help? how many times can you heat mold a liner?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

just stick with the thicker sock, or maybe a thicker footbed.

heating the liner might help for a bit, but it will just pack out again in the end.

thanks mntlion
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

My feet severely pronate. For the past season I've been in way too small fischer race boots which have an off set stance. The stance certainly helped my skiing but over the summer i've switched the foot beds in my daily shoes to a more supportive unweighted type and I'm now walking toe infront of heel with my knees nicely aligned.

Now what i'm wondering is if I've corrected my pronation through my footbeds, do I need an offset boot? I tried on some correctly sized fischers last night and with my everyday footbeds in there they just felt really weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    or other stores might have been able to make them wide enough? I can get 8mm per side, on a 24 boot, and not loose any instep height...

either way, glad it worked.
    That means i will fit into FT's!!? I'm going to Banff just to see you.
    If you are getting rad but there is no one to see you. Are you really getting rad at all?

Phill: if they are working for you, dont change them. Offset can help for pronation, tibial rotation, "Q" angle, and faster SL turns. For most it is not a negative or a possitive. I've skied the Nordica aggressor, and can't feel the angle at all.

Live: 8mm is hard on an 3 prt shell, but I can get 3 - 5mm per side...

Hoped I'd never need this thread - heading back to the bootfitter tomorrow for my problem, but figured I'd see if you guys could help me out a bit first.

Went skiing today - day 1 in my new Salomon Ghosts. They felt okay all day - I'd unbuckle the lower buckle on most chairlift rides and had an all around decent day. Toes were not cold, no hot-spots on the ankles or anything, feet didn't feel like they fell asleep, and figured I had a new boot that was A-O-K.

However - when I took the boots off at the end of the day I was screwed. My right foot is fine. My left foot hurts like a bastard on the outermost fleshy part of the muscle. Like, just sitting here hurts. It's been hurting since I took the boot off 2 hours ago.

If I curl my toes - no increase in pain.
    If I lean my foot to the inside - no increase in pain.
    If I touch the outside on anything - OUCH.
    If I "stretch" the foot by putting the balls of my feet on the ground and pushing back - OUCH.

What would cause this? Lack of blood-flow to the muscle? Something on that side of the foot pushing in on it?

Also how can I make this pain go away? I can barely walk. I guess beer is my only option right now...

when you shell fit the boots, does the side of your foot touch the shell? same place as the pain on the foot?

are the footbeds the ones that came with the boot, or an upgrade? better with any other footbeds? or with none?

right now: ice, anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprophane)

is the ghost softer then you last boot? are your calfs really tight?

Shell fit felt good - perfect almost. Proper space front and back, and sides of foot were just barely touching.

Footbeds are an off-the-rack pair.

Ghost feels way softer than my last boots (10-year-old Salomon X-Screams), and the calf is very tight. Undid all straps/buckles for 30 mins at lunchtime.

Everything felt okay until I took the boot off. Only the first day with them, so I haven't tried any other beds. I'll swap out with the ones it came with when I go out next Saturday and see how she feels. Fuggin' hurts though - been skiing a long time and never had this problem.

When I had my feet sized in the store, I was surprised that both feet were exactly the same size, front and back and side to side. Strange how my right foot feels 100% but the left is terrible.

Foot still hurts, although now the pain is in a very precise spot.

Checked the bones, all feel fine - pain is just on one little spot on the very outside of the foot, but is significant. Could I have squished a nerve or something? Is that even possible?

Anyhow going to the ski shop at lunch to have them punch the shit out of that spot in the liner, and try out different footbeds and whatnot. Tried sizing the shell again, and it's exactly the same fit as the boots I've been skiing in for 10 years with no problems.

check that the footbed is in the liner flat.
    check that the liner doesn't have a seam/ wrinkle on that spot

does the sore point on your foot touch the shell when you remove the liner? (if yes, punch, if no I would keep looking)
    also pad the liner on either side of the sore point to bridge over that sore point.

Anyone ever have a problem with the tongue migrating to the side of the boot while skiing?

I have new (7days skiing) Nordica Hot Rod 125's and they have a super stiff plastic tongue. No matter what I try (tightening, loosening, re-positioning, etc...) the tongue will always migrate to the outside of my leg leaving my shin to flex up against the shell.

I tried heating up the tongue with a heat gun and clamping myself in to mold the tongue plastic to the shell but it didn't work. I also tried using a footbed with higher arch support to help with foot pronation but had no luck. Could it maybe be a cuff angle problem? These boots have no mechanism to adjust cant or cuff angle so I hope not.

I was thinking upper cuff alignment but if the boot doesn't have that .....

have you used any other liners in the shell? try that to see if it is shell or liner issues.

good call on the footbeds too. too bad that was not the answer

I've been hogging this thread for a while now but I have solved almost all my boot problems on my own (with TGR consultation of course) and I'll post the solutions that worked for me once I finish this one last thing:

I am going to soften up my Nordica Hotrod 125's by shaving down the inner shell where the dotted marks are on either side. My question is, how much trimming will I have to do before I notice a difference? Is there someone with a general idea of how much plastic = a quantity of flex? I think I'd like them to feel like a 115.

I have trimmed out 1/4 inch, re-assembled the boot and tried to compare it to the other one which has not been modified. Unfortunately, I am in my living room and can't feel much difference. I don't want to trim too much but my shins are taking a serious beating and I'd prefer to try and have it close to dialed the next time I go out.

10mm = 20% softer.

you can lower front of the cuff, of the lower boot, or make "V" notch in the side of the shell

Here are a few things I have learned while battling painful ski boots the last few years:

1) For me, race fit severely undersized ski boots no longer work. The sacrifice for comfort used to be bareable but after years of suffering I gave it up. I bought an appropriate length shell with a last width slightly narrower than my foot (98mm last for a 101mm foot). I made a few adjustments and now I am much happier.

2) To cure 6th toe hot spots, punching out that area on the boot only seemed to work half way. Never once did I cure this probem in the last 2 sets of boots I've owned by simply punching out that area. If you are experiencing the same problem I would suggest either getting a footbed with a higher arch support or getting your boot fitter to punch out the medial maleolus (inside ankle bone) or both.

3) To cure medial maleolus pain you can try a footbed with higher arch support. This worked great for me.

4) Migrating boot tongue? Buy a heat gun and heat the tongue until you can dent the tongue plastic with a screwdriver easily, put the liner back in the shells and clamp in with the tongue placed correctly and flex forward until the liner is completely cooled. I tried this a few times with no results but I wasn't heating the liner enough or waiting for the liner to cool sufficiently before taking them off. Also, a footbed with better arch support helped this problem.

5) Shin pain ISN'T ALWAYS from skiing or landing backseat. My shins were in slight pain from the moment I tried on my newest boots (even in the store) and I have never had shinbang in my life. I chose to work through the shin problem because the rest of the boot fit like a glove. The shin pain was getting worse after about 5 days sking so I heat molded the tongue and softened the shell flex.

6) Want a softer flex? First, I swapped out the static (no stretch) stock power strap for the dynamic (stretchy) strap from my old Lange freerides. I also removed a metal plate that was riveted onto the back of my boots that seemed to be for stiffening up the rear spine of the shell. This helped the shin pain but didn't fix it completely. I then used a Dremel to shave out the 'V' notches on either side of the inner shell. I think most boots have dotted guides molded into the plastic. As per Mntlion's recomendations - 10mm = 20% softer. This seemed to help the shin pain I was having but I need another 5 days skiing to confirm it.

As Mntlion has stated many times, buying a boot fitted by a trusted pro is the most important thing. The second most important thing in my opinion is a quality footbed with proper support.

Thanks for the help everyone. I hope this helps someone out there.

bump: as temps warm, boot problems show up again...

This is probably an easy solution...but I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to go about it.

I had boots fitted last year from a reliable boot fitter in Vancouver. I didn't know a lot about boot fitting when I went in, which in hindsight was probably dumb.

I was shell fit into a Salomon Falcon CS Pro (29.5). At the time they seemed like they fit well.

I have now put in about 40days on them and they are starting to feel looser and looser. I went into the shop again and they put in a cork board to fill the volume of the boot. This helped for about 3-4 days, and now they aren't doing much. I am finding that I am cranking the buckles to almost as far as they go on the upper 2 and most of the way on the lower 2 buckles.

I have been getting some sweet shin bang, despite NOT skiing backseat (although I landed some airs backseat).

I pulled out the liners after reading through this thread and they seem to measure about 25mm from my heel to the back of the boot. This seems about 1 size too big based on MNTLION's recommendations.

I have to go back into the fitter obviously...but last time I was there they told me they were PERFECT (and gave me the cork board). What should I be asking them? How, if possible, do I go about them giving me a smaller pair of boots? Or do I simply have to suck it up, buy new boots elsewhere and try to sell the Falcons?

Thanks for answering my boot-jong question

bird: I'd ask them to help you again, and maybe ask about the shell fit and that it looked a bit big to you... maybe they will help you, and maybe they won't but ya, 25mm = 1-2 sizes too big in my mind.
    ask if you can try the 28 or even the 27 shell on. maybe try the 28 shell with your 29 liner to see how it will feel in the end?
    if you are stuck with that boot, and can't re-sell it.

move the buckles,
    thicker socks,
    extra footbeds below what you bought (you have a custom, or off the rack footbed, right?)
    eliminator tongue

Thanks mntlion

So far things I have tried...
    Moved the buckles
    Cork board and surefoot footbed
    Eliminator tougues + boosterstrap + regular powerstrap

I should add that with all of this the upper cuff seems good, but my foot feels as though it moves around and has lots of room. I can't feel it touching any part of the shell. If I lean back, simulating a backseat experience I can feel my foot come up and touch the top of the shell, thus straining my tib ant tendon - should that happen?

boots are too big. sorry

start trying on a 27 or 28's and get a 5-10mm shell fit.

if you can make a 27 ghost work, PM me

Thanks mntlion!
    I will give them a visit again. if they are not of any help, then I will be buying some new boots it seems...