Page 24 of 105 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HighWest View Post
    I should mention that I have very limited dorsiflexion, so upright and stiff are better. My forefoot's around 102-104.

I did try the Atomic Hawx 130, and the stiffness was great, but the fit wasn't quite there. I also tried the Rossi Alias 120, wasn't quite right. However, the Rossi AllTrack 120 was good. My other two choices for fit are the Lange SX 120 (I tried on the 100) and the Fischer Ranger 12 Vacuum. The Vacuum had a surprisingly nice fit straight out of the box. All of these we damn close, but felt just a tad soft to deal with the limited dorsiflexion. Finally, I tried on the Lange RX 120 and it felt nice for about 10 mins until my forefoot started to feel too pinched.

Here's the question: Would the Rossi AllTrack Pro 130, Lange RS 130 Wide, or Lange RX 130 be a viable option? Keeping in mind high instep, 102-104 forefoot, and limited dorsiflexion.

Gracias.
    Try on the Technica Ten.2 120. I have a fairly wide fore foot with a regular heel. They fit my foot well, I did have to ditch my green super feet for SOLE insoles. The greens were to low volume and did have some alterations from previous boot to lower their vol. even more. This boot is more powerful/stiff than a Lange RX130, boot I just came from. Fairly upright stance as well, same as the Lange. Plus they don't leak like a fuckin sieve and are warmer. Added bonus, they're RED!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Try on the Technica Ten.2 120. I have a fairly wide fore foot with a regular heel. They fit my foot well, I did have to ditch my green super feet for SOLE insoles. The greens were to low volume and did have some alterations from previous boot to lower their vol. even more. This boot is more powerful/stiff than a Lange RX130, boot I just came from. Fairly upright stance as well, same as the Lange. Plus they don't leak like a fuckin sieve and are warmer. Added bonus, they're RED!
    I did, fit wasn't quite there... the red was hard to deny though!

I realized why I get shin splits every winter with my fucking salomon ghosts. They have the two buckle design. The whole upper cuff tightens with one buckle. That tightens the lower way too much and it leaves the upper loose. The upper actually has all the holes to mount two buckles. I want to rip the single buckle and install two buckles.

I'm away from home for a while so I can't do this on my own. Is there a shop with balls around kicking horse or revelstoke that would take on this project?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392607911.193916.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	150778

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392608057.177613.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	150779

Odd issue that I will throw out and see what people think.

Black diamond primes with intuition pro tour liners. No issues if I'm in my boots a day or 2 in a row. Definitely not a race fit but nice and snug and comfy to tour in.

If I go 3+ days I a row skiing the outside of my left shin starts hurting. If you think about the shin as a clock with 12 being center of the tongue and 6 the back of the boot...the pain is at the 10 or 11 o'clock position.

I have real skinny calfs so I have tried to tighten the top of the boot thinking it is a " shin bang" type issue. Put the strap inside the boot against the liner, also just tried cranking them down...But that seems to bring on the pain sooner.

Also tried skidding the tongue around. Either more towards the pain or away. With no real difference.

Any thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by pruitt View Post

Black diamond primes with intuition pro tour liners. No issues if I'm in my boots a day or 2 in a row. Definitely not a race fit but nice and snug and comfy to tour in.

If I go 3+ days I a row skiing the outside of my left shin starts hurting. If you think about the shin as a clock with 12 being center of the tongue and 6 the back of the boot...the pain is at the 10 or 11 o'clock position.

I have real skinny calfs so I have tried to tighten the top of the boot thinking it is a " shin bang" type issue. Put the strap inside the boot against the liner, also just tried cranking them down...But that seems to bring on the pain sooner.

Also tried skidding the tongue around. Either more towards the pain or away. With no real difference.

Any thoughts.

check the upper cuff alignment and move the upper cuff towards the side that is sore. (if this is worse, do the oposite)

any footbed? a more supportive footbed might help to align your lower leg more upright?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I realized why I get shin splits every winter with my fucking salomon ghosts. They have the two buckle design. The whole upper cuff tightens with one buckle. That tightens the lower way too much and it leaves the upper loose. The upper actually has all the holes to mount two buckles. I want to rip the single buckle and install two buckles.

I'm away from home for a while so I can't do this on my own. Is there a shop with balls around kicking horse or revelstoke that would take on this project?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392607911.193916.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	150778

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392608057.177613.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	150779

Selkirk sports at the bottom of the hill at KH? Also PM gripon, he was based in golden for a while

the ghost is a BIG volume boot too. might just need a smaller volume boot (and one with buckles?)

Super feet greens. So something but nothing special.

try both with and without footbeds?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Selkirk sports at the bottom of the hill at KH? Also PM gripon, he was based in golden for a while

the ghost is a BIG volume boot too. might just need a smaller volume boot (and one with buckles?)
    I agree, I need buckles
    The lower is definitely the lowest volume boot I tried. It's even supposed to be bsl 305 but it measures 301.

daught: The gohst (for most people) is a medium to wide boot. and I think a narrower boot might be better?

but see what fits you.

daught: The gohst (for most people) is a medium to wide boot. and I think a narrower boot might be better?

but see what fits you.
    I'm a bit confused here as well. the original Ghost was based on the Falcon last (which was always described by people as a relatively narrow boot, for a 98 mm last).

Ghost max is based on another shell which is potentially roomier.

can you give an example of some boots you would categorise as narrow-medium ?

Oh I assumed all the ghosts where that 102 wide body boot.

Salomons shapes are wide compared to others still, so 98 salomon is about 100 in most other brands.

try the buckles and see how it goes.

if you get to banff, I can help too.

WIN

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392675793.003228.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	150818

Selkirk crew is awesome. Really nailed it. My boots feel amazing. Totally new boot. Flex is improved, I can fine tune how tight the instep and the cuff. WTF was Salomon thinking? I highly recommend this mod to anyone with a single buckle upper.

Now... my shins are in a slow and painful recovery. I can't believe how fucked my skiing is

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Now... my shins are in a slow and painful recovery. I can't believe how fucked my skiing is
    Scratch that. I'm the best skier on the fucking coast.

Quote Originally Posted by pruitt View Post

Any thoughts.
    It sounds like you be experiencing pain in the anterior tibialis muscle, which lifts the foot towards the head. Does the pain come on with lift-served skiing or only on tours? It could be more of an overuse type of problem rather than a boot fit issue. I'm not a fitter and can't tell you if there is anything that can or should be done to the boots that would help. If the problem is touring-related possibly using the heel lifts sooner might help.

Actually mostly lift serve. Don't seem to feel it touring. But I typically don't tour 3 or 4 days in a row. Only lift serve that often so.......

My guess is old goat is correct. I've been dealing with pain in a similar spot (though more at 8 and 10 o'clock than 10-11), and I'm still trying to figure out if it's the boots or an overuse issue. If it *is* an overuse injury, the tighter you crank the boot, the stiffer they get and the more it hurts. Try relaxing the upper cuff while you ski inbounds and see if it goes away. (You might improve your balance in the process.)

I don't know how the Prime is shaped, but it might help to find a boot with a narrow upper cuff so you can get them tight across your shins without having to buckle them down a bunch and increase the stiffness...?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

My Head Raptors are destroying my feet..even after I got them punched...the sixth toe seems to be getting worse on both feet...and my ankle bones are starting to get sore. I think these just are not very forgiving on the feet, if you're skiing chop and bumps most of the time. Should I abandon ship for something else? I feel like maybe my foot (high instep and high arch + slight bow legged) is not right for this...I feel like maybe my feet are wider than I realized...but this boot is making skiing more than one day in a row torture. Thanks.

^Do you have footbeds?

Yup - got them this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    ^Do you have footbeds?

check the upper cuff alignment and move the upper cuff towards the side that is sore. (if this is worse, do the oposite)

any footbed? a more supportive footbed might help to align your lower leg more upright?
    I adjusted the cuff alignment out and pounded pretty hard this weekend with much better results. I think that might have been it.

Still a little pain which I think is due to a loose fit and over work strain from muscle trying to stabilize. I'm gonna work on that front but 90% there.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrider83 View Post
    My Head Raptors are destroying my feet..even after I got them punched...the sixth toe seems to be getting worse on both feet...and my ankle bones are starting to get sore. I think these just are not very forgiving on the feet, if you're skiing chop and bumps most of the time. Should I abandon ship for something else? I feel like maybe my foot (high instep and high arch + slight bow legged) is not right for this...I feel like maybe my feet are wider than I realized...but this boot is making skiing more than one day in a row torture. Thanks.

shell fit is??

please read, and re-read the start of this thread, and post your answers and info. More info = more help

After years of struggling with boots and acquiring Neuroma's in both feet. I tell the salesmen to get me every boot in my size and flex and I start trying them on. When I find the boot that fits the best I buy it. Sounds simple but too many people buy a certain brand or price range and then punch and grind and never get it.

My last pair required no fitting and I have been in love ever since I bought them. Footbeds are mandatory. I really like instaprint.

Sorry- my bad.
    1) BOW with the buckles tighter or looser? WORSE WITH INSTEP BUCKLES TIGHTER

2) BOW with thinner or thicker socks? NOT SURE

3) BOW with any footbeds (custom, stock, none, etc)? ONLY SKIED WITH FOOTBEDS, BUT THIS IS MY FIRST BOOT WITH FOOTBEDS

4) BOW skiing, standing, or feet un-weighted (hanging off a chair lift)? WORST WITH FEET WEIGHTED, STANDING..SKIING I'M PROBABLY DISTRACT.

5) BOW thru out the day (and when does the pain start?)- PAIN GETS WORSE AS DAY PROGRESSES...ESPECIALLY FIRM SNOW AND CRUD. SECOND DAY HURTS A LOT. THIRD DAY, I THINK I START TO GET USED TO IT.

6) BOW on the first vs the third day? THIRD DAY.

7) BOW on harder or easier terrain? EQUAL- BUMPY IS WHAT IRRITATES IT THE MOST>

8) BOW with the power straps (velcro straps) tighter or looser? NOT DIFFERENT.

9) BOW if you do any particular movements, or actions? EDGING HURTS, TAKING BOOTS ON AND OFF HURTS. I'VE DEVELOPED 6TH TOES ON BOTH FEET.

10) Any medical, health, or weight changes since you used them last?
    ? YES- 6TH TOES. ALSO, SHIN BANG STARTED TO DEVELOP, BUT I THINK THAT'S FROM A BACK SEAT LANDING ON HARD SNOW.

My buddy says that my feet are going to hurt through the season, and it will only really get better once I can rest my feet. Any ideas on how I can fix this and/or if I should just get new boots? Thanks again!
    shell fit is?
    please read, and re-read the start of this thread, and post your answers and info. More info = more help

^^ You seem to have forgotten the key pieces of information:
    1) What is the shell fit like for length? Remove the liner, put your foot in the shell only, have your toes lightly touching the front of the boot and see how much room is behind your heel and the boots shell. Use a pen as a spacer and measure this for thickness. You want 5-15mm (1/8 to ½ inch) of room. If you have more then 25mm stop here

2) What is the shell fit like for width? Now center your foot front to back, (same amount of room behind the toe and heel) and is the width of your foot touching the sides of the boots shell? You want anything from lightly brushing to 2mm per side. If you have 3mm per side stop here.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos