Page 72 of 105 FirstFirst ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 2618
    Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    1st world prob for sure here & prev discussed, but still stuck.

I’ve been trying some nice 130 & plug boots this season after bailing on GripWalk due to the bindings toping out at mid market 12/14 DIN capacity. My GW boot is a Lupo HD & freaking love it. Cabrio tongue is tall & seems to go right up against my shin & can drive w ease....

Can’t seem to replicate this power from a 2 piece ; yup this runs counter to everything we see w technical skiers.

Thinking of getting a Krypton or frankenbooting Lupo w DIN soles & Krypton upper cuff.

What’s up w this? I’m trying too tier boots w no luck.
    Are the Lupo Hd and Krypton 130 very different? Other than the walk mode. I’d say the krypton 130 is your answer. Given my woes and your input I’m inclined to try a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Are the Lupo Hd and Krypton 130 very different? Other than the walk mode. I’d say the krypton 130 is your answer. Given my woes and your input I’m inclined to try a pair.
    Krypton has wrap around upper cuff instead of a strap on the Lupo and DIN soles.

Krypton has wrap around upper cuff instead of a strap on the Lupo and DIN soles.
    You mean a wrap vs tongue liner?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    How snug is a Booster strap supposed to be?
    As snug as you want. Usually as snug as you can go without cutting off any blood flow. The issue with soft booster straps is that they clap out quickly and offer no support. People often start doing them up really tight to make them feel more supportive, but then find it just cut s off all their blood flow.

In my mind, you don’t want an infinitely flexing booster. You want it to be soft at first to help you micro adjust your stance with small movements and to also allow you to progressively engage the flex of the shell, at which point you then want the rigid band to engage and give you even support between the shell and strap.

I would say you are correct that 130 is too stiff for many people, especially when they are jibbing or skiing slowly. The issue is, weight affects the forces on a boot in a linear manner while speed affects it exponentially. So the 150 pound guy feels like the boot is too stiff when he is going slow but when he is going fast it feels too soft. I’m not a scientologist but that’s how it works for bike suspension.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Flex discussion above is interesting. I’m ~165lbs in a 130 flex. I often wonder if thats too much, not so much because of how it feels but because I wonder what clydes are skiing. Can’t believe everyone over 190 or so is skiing a 140/150 race plug. Are manufacturers that top out at 130 in non plug performance boots telling me I should be in a softer boot? Am I likely to ski better with softer flex? Its expensive to just try and make a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    You mean a wrap vs tongue liner?
    No, the top buckle on the shell.

No, the top buckle on the shell.
    Got it. Looked at them in 360 on the website. Krypton looks like it would be more powerful laterally.

Short version: physical therapists are great and ski boots still have mysteries for me.

Ok, check this out. I’ve had Morton’s neuroma in my left foot for 7 or 8 years, and have tried to fix if by punching my TLT6’s for width- this helps some, but was never a total fix. I still had to take off the boot 2-3 times a day. The liners are quite old(10 seasons, likely close to 1000 days) heavily modded Intuition power wraps with custom Sidas insoles. I took a chance on some Alien RS’s, planning to get them punched out too. I did some grinding on the footboard, added a heel lift and instep pad to account for my low instep. Then I skied them for a few days and had no real problems with my nerve damage! I was shocked, the Aliens are pretty narrow and low volume in the forefoot.
    This week I also went to a PT for the first time in my life and learned so dang much. Including: feet have two arches, one longitudinal, that we all think of when getting footbeds etc. But! There’s a lateral arch too, from edge to edge of the foot, and when it collapses, you pinch nerves. I pinch nerves. My old ass liners were so hammered underfoot that they were causing my lateral arch to collapse. The difference in the new boots/liners is incredible, I can feel the nerve impingement occasionally but no longer take off the boot and shake my fist at the heavens. Amazing.
    Anyone have recommendations on what material to use to make a met head bump for my footbeds as an experiment? Some footbeds have this feature, I want to add it to mine, to create further support for the lateral arch.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Anyone have recommendations on what material to use to make a met head bump for my footbeds as an experiment? Some footbeds have this feature, I want to add it to mine, to create further support for the lateral arch.
    I would play around with location using self-adhesive bootfitter's foam (start with 1/8") or buy one of the Dr. Scholl's kits with different shapes. When you have it dialed, you can carefully heat up the Sidas insole (just the mid-foot) and use an oval shaped tool to press it permanently into the footbed itself (or just continue using the foam). When I get Morton's sufferers in and they request this, I build it into the footbed after I take it off the mold but before it's totally cool. Sometimes you can alleviate the symptoms by simply heating the forefoot of the footbed lightly and depressing the met ridge (usually between the 2nd and 3rd mets) a few millimeters with your thumbs.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Short version: physical therapists are great and ski boots still have mysteries for me.

Ok, check this out. I’ve had Morton’s neuroma in my left foot for 7 or 8 years, and have tried to fix if by punching my TLT6’s for width- this helps some, but was never a total fix. I still had to take off the boot 2-3 times a day. The liners are quite old(10 seasons, likely close to 1000 days) heavily modded Intuition power wraps with custom Sidas insoles. I took a chance on some Alien RS’s, planning to get them punched out too. I did some grinding on the footboard, added a heel lift and instep pad to account for my low instep. Then I skied them for a few days and had no real problems with my nerve damage! I was shocked, the Aliens are pretty narrow and low volume in the forefoot.
    This week I also went to a PT for the first time in my life and learned so dang much. Including: feet have two arches, one longitudinal, that we all think of when getting footbeds etc. But! There’s a lateral arch too, from edge to edge of the foot, and when it collapses, you pinch nerves. I pinch nerves. My old ass liners were so hammered underfoot that they were causing my lateral arch to collapse. The difference in the new boots/liners is incredible, I can feel the nerve impingement occasionally but no longer take off the boot and shake my fist at the heavens. Amazing.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    ^ PT ftw

My GW boot is a Lupo HD & freaking love it. Cabrio tongue is tall & seems to go right up against my shin & can drive w ease....
    Order some ISO 5355 soles from MDV for the Lupo.

Marker Volkl USA Inc.
    112 Etna Road
    Lebanon, NH 03766
    Ph: +1 603 298 0314
    Fax: +1 603298 6134
    info@markervolklusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Order some ISO 5355 soles from MDV for the Lupo.

Marker Volkl USA Inc.
    112 Etna Road
    Lebanon, NH 03766
    Ph: +1 603 298 0314
    Fax: +1 603298 6134
    info@markervolklusa.com
    Or get new Pivot 18 GW or Marker Jester ID (current 2021 model is good, last year's not so much).

Or get new Pivot 18 GW or Marker Jester ID (current 2021 model is good, last year's not so much).
    Or just stick the GripWalk soles in any 16-18 DIN alpine binding and tell yourself that the sole spec is close enough and you are a 15 DIN badass who hardly ever falls and the binding companies are just trying to protect their asses and sell new bindings by not making the older models GW compatible (mount and adjust your own fucking bindings in this case).

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Flex discussion above is interesting. I’m ~165lbs in a 130 flex. I often wonder if thats too much, not so much because of how it feels but because I wonder what clydes are skiing. Can’t believe everyone over 190 or so is skiing a 140/150 race plug. Are manufacturers that top out at 130 in non plug performance boots telling me I should be in a softer boot? Am I likely to ski better with softer flex? Its expensive to just try and make a mistake.
    I’m 145lbs and I have been testing a Hawx Ultra. I’ve gone back and forth between 120 and 130 on consecutive runs. I think 130 is the ticket.

PS Salomon/Atomic/Armada STH2 16 will become GripWalk compatible soon.
    .... I thought the were.

Salomon has been saying the STH2 is GW compatible for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post

Salomon has been saying the STH2 is GW compatible for a while now.
    My bad, you guys are right. Looks like they changed for the 18-19 model year.
    Last edited by gregL; 01-17-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Makes sense to change the sticker, since WTR is pretty dead.

Didn't someone post what looked like an MNC STH toe with a sliding AFD in the 21/22 gear rumors thread?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Didn't someone post what looked like an MNC STH toe with a sliding AFD in the 21/22 gear rumors thread?
    Ah, right, onenerdykid posted it to his IG or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    That’s like when the ski hill would run $2 lift tickets for local residents. Every old piece of gear that had been sitting in the sun for 5 years was out on hill. Exploding boot plastic everywhere.

What size do you wear?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This got buried and I missed it. I wear a 26.5. Would consider someones singular cochise 130, 26.5 (right) if there's the very odd chance of one right foot laying around somewhere.

I did talk to Tecnica and thought I was gonna get a replacement pair, it's been a while since then, so I'm not positive it'll actually happen.
    Last edited by DarthMarkus; 01-21-2021 at 11:11 PM.

A while back someone mentioned a home brew boot deodorant you could mix in a spray bottle and spritz liners with- anyone recall the recipe? It was mild household stuff if I recall, just can’t turn it searching.

Gravity always wins...

ive made my mistake again - i really dont ski groomers at all anymore. In the resort i like bumps and anything chopped up. the best boot for me in the lasts 10 years was a salomon s max 120.....the head raptor i skied for 2 years was good but by mid day my skiing would start to deteriorate.

anyway that solly is old....thot id try to replace the raptors with something more forgiving...went in there, looking for lots of suspension....the freaking hero fit so well i just bought it .....yup skied great but as soon as you get into the bumps the solid soles and 140 flex beat the shit our of you so bad you just get almost flinchy....

When will I learn - I'll keep em for beer league (which i dont really do anymore) but gotta find mucho suspension and maybe in a 120...thinking speedmachine....and have seriously given full tilt a thought even though I aint never been on em. A comfortable me has more fun all day long in the bumps - me in Heros skis 1/2 of the first run like a rockstar (ok maybe pop star) then pain sucks all the fun out and line choices change....no good. More suspension....less precision...less power maybe too. comfort - any favorites?

Currently in a Lange RX120 from 2012. Its been punched to accommodate my wide foot but still puts pressure on my instep. Ive tried a few different boots along the way but they didnt work out. The Langes are going to be replaced soon and looking for recommendations. Currently thinking the Full Tilt Descendant 120 with some last widening. Ive had terrible experiences and wasted money on local boot fitters. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611784693.297020.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	360042

if lange worked in the past (with some work) stick with that?

the answer to "WTF is wrong with my boots?"

Picked up some Salomon s/max 130 carbon last year. Was coming from Salomon Ghosts and before that X Waves.

The ghosts fit me better than any boot I’d ever had. I was hoping to be able to replicate that with the S/Max, and can’t seem to quite get there even after spending some significant time with a bootfitter; these guys are so crazy low volume.... They’re ok for a couple days/week and they ski great, but the thought of back to back days or a full week doesn’t sound appealing. I also need them to be warmer.

Currently considering going with s/pro and tackling volume issues with intuitions (I’ve had good luck with Salomons before and hesitate to try other brands) or going with Atomic Hawk ultra 130 s.

Thoughts, besides a collective facepalm over considering going with a high volume s/pro and/or “go to a boot fitter” (no real “bootfitters” around here)?

Whatever it is, goal would be to order and customize at home; something I’ve been successful with in the past.
    focus.