Page 40 of 105 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2601
    damn almost 50 pages of this crap...

Help. Have skied many high performance boots and cannot find a solution. I have a very high arch and accompanied, instep. It's tall, and nearly every boot wears rough on navicular area. Rs130 has been the best skiing and most ill fitting and the Seth FT has been the most comfortable yet pales in comparison in performance. Have dropped zeppa on Lange to no avail, heated instep area, ,etc, etc etc.. is there another boot or technique to try? Would having a built surefooot boot solve problems? I may be willing to have that conversation..
    thanks in advance

surefoot will NOT be able to help bette then anyone else. they dont make boot, they (like ANY good store) just sell boots, and fit boots

options:
    1) leave the toe buckles OFF (not just loose)
    2) thinner socks
    3) thinner footbeds (or no footbeds)
    4) thin out the boot board
    5) thin out the bottom of the liner
    6) heat and stretch out the top of the liner to make it flatter
    7) remove material from the tounge, over the top of the high point
    8) remove the elastication, that holds the tongue in place
    9) grind the hard plastic that is over the tounge thinner
    10) find a new boot, with a bigger instep height

Quote Originally Posted by ace.. View Post
    Would having a built surefooot boot solve problems?
    A Surefoot custom boot uses Lange shells and cuffs, they just say Surefoot on them. That said, the new (2018) Dual-Injected Langes have a more relaxed instep than any previous models, and the RS130 is a beautiful boot.

Quote Originally Posted by ace.. View Post
    Help. Have skied many high performance boots and cannot find a solution. I have a very high arch and accompanied, instep. It's tall, and nearly every boot wears rough on navicular area. Rs130 has been the best skiing and most ill fitting and the Seth FT has been the most comfortable yet pales in comparison in performance. Have dropped zeppa on Lange to no avail, heated instep area, ,etc, etc etc.. is there another boot or technique to try? Would having a built surefooot boot solve problems? I may be willing to have that conversation..
    thanks in advance
    thats the bone on top of the foot and to the inside? I have the same issue, i can't use a liner with a tongue not even the intuition liners with a tongue

but the power wraps work fine
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Hey Dave, are you boot fitting at all in Banff, or still on sabbatical? My daughter has a pair of Gea touring boots that she's got down to being pretty comfy except for some shin issues on the right boot while in touring mode.

If you're still off-grid, is there a good fitter in Banff?

Quote Originally Posted by johngenx View Post
    Hey Dave, are you boot fitting at all in Banff, or still on sabbatical? My daughter has a pair of Gea touring boots that she's got down to being pretty comfy except for some shin issues on the right boot while in touring mode.

If you're still off-grid, is there a good fitter in Banff?
    I'm back with "Soul ski and bike" (was last year too, it was the year before that I did a skibatical) I'll start back in early Nov and done by early Feb

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I'm back with "Soul ski and bike" (was last year too, it was the year before that I did a skibatical) I'll start back in early Nov and done by early Feb
    Damn, I gotta stay with what's up! I'll send her down to see you after she gets settled in. She's got some Black Diamond Shiva boots as well that need a little attention - they're packed out a bit. Not sure if the liners can be recooked on those or not - I don't think we'll have time to give them any attention before she leaves so she'll get them looked at once she's there.

You'll laugh when you see her feet. We literally have struggled to buy her boots small enough, her feet are so tiny.

Tarsal Tunnel Problems

Interested in gathering some thoughts on my current boot situation, I have done a quick scan of this thread and haven't found this exact issue but if I missed something just post the link:

Feet size: 29.5(right), 29.8 (left). instep is 29-30 when measured so nothing crazy small or large, I have narrow feet so I typically will go for low volume boots. I always downsized my hockey skates when I was playing about a size because the ankle and heel fit better, my toes were always cramped but for hockey that was fine, I could take my skates off every period.

Current boot: 29.5 Lange rs130 , forget what they are for last. Superfeet insoles that feel great!

Problem: I cant attach an image but it is the tibial nerve running behind and under my ankles on the inside of my feet that are getting very irritated and painful (nerve pain and numbness) to the point I have to take my boot off. The spot is below my ankle about 1/3 of the way to my heel (tarsal tunnel, I can actually move it with my finger and cause a tingling). I think it is being compressed by the heel hold of my boot liner. This happened after about the 5th day of skiing last year on the new boots, only got about 10 days in and the last five were a struggle, had to keep stopping and my girlfriend who I was skiing with probably hated me at the time. My smaller foot was worse than my larger one.

Attempts to fix: Punches in the tarsal tunnel spot I could feel it being irritated, re heating the liner with L foam on my foot over the tarsal tunnel spot to make more room.

The length of my foot is a 29.5, whereas I think my heel/ankle is more like a 27-28 MP size. My current fix (haven't skied so its up in the air) is using a 9mm cork heel lift to get the heel hold of the liner to match up with my heel below the tarsal tunnel instead of being directly on top of it. Does this make sense to use skiing? Would it make more sense to downsize and punch the toe out? I am interested in getting these boots to work, but also for future purchases for touring boots where I might need some more toe room but may run into the same problem with the tarsal tunnel compression. 28.5 my toes are jammed in the front if they aren't buckled up, and when they are my toes are touching the end (with cochise pro 2016 - shell fit I was barely able to get a pen behind my foot toes at the front, I realize the cochise liners were small for the boot). The lange rs130 was a good fit where i could get a pen to a sharpie behind with my toes at the front. I wouldn't mind a high performance fit like that, but have abused my feet for years and wanted something a bit more comfortable in the toes.

Any boot fitting thoughts on this? I feel like this isn't a common problem since the bootfitters I have been to just want to punch and that hasnt helped. Could removing material from the liner also help? Will a lift tall cause problems skiing? Should I just get rid of them and buy some 28.5 and punch the toe out? I am going to see a bootfitter here on Vancouver Island or whistler at some point, but want to hear if anyone else has experience with this problem first.
    Last edited by Tcuth; 10-14-2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: grammar

maybe figured it out

I went and tried on my boots this evening, after standing around making dinner in my boots, i started to feel the same sensation, so I dont think that the lifts are doing as much as I thought. I think it is from the rs130 large heel hold in the liner. When I put only the liners on, I can press and feel exactly where the pain starts from. I guess this sounds like I need the liners ground down at those spots. Is this easy to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Tcuth View Post
    I went and tried on my boots this evening, after standing around making dinner in my boots, i started to feel the same sensation, so I dont think that the lifts are doing as much as I thought. I think it is from the rs130 large heel hold in the liner. When I put only the liners on, I can press and feel exactly where the pain starts from. I guess this sounds like I need the liners ground down at those spots. Is this easy to do?
    I would start with a heat gun, 8-12" away, and heat the liner up on inside and out, and stretch the material over a broom handle.
    if not enough then add 5mm off hard foam to your foot in that spot, re-heat the liner and put your foot in the liner, liner in the boot, and buckle the SHIT out of it. drink 1-2 beers, Let cool for 10 min

if they both dont help, then remove material. but odds are it just needs some stretching or compression

Would heating and a clamp be going overboard? Thanks for the reply mtnlion

Quote Originally Posted by Tcuth View Post
    Would heating and a clamp be going overboard? Thanks for the reply mtnlion
    try the others first

I have a super weird pair of feet that include the highest arch my last bootfitter has ever seen, a super high instep, and wide ball of foot with skinny toes, but not a super high volume foot. Anyways, the stiffest boot that we could make work was a Lange SX120. Im a big guy (6'4" and 210+lbs with all gear on) so i was a little disapointed with not getting a 130 flex, but for the past 4 years the boots have worked well enough. But now that i have put 200ish days into them, i was planning to get some intuition pros to not only stiffen the boot up a bit, but also because the OG liners are packed to shit. FYI, i have custom footbeds (if i remember right it was unweighted). Im 29 years old, ski in WA, ski pretty hard and send cliffs in the 15-20 ft range fairly consitstently. I also do short mellow tours in these boots.

My questions is: do you think i should just keep the shells and get the intuition Pro liners and maybe look at additional options to stiffen the boot up a bit (which are???)?

Or, if i do get the intuition liners this year, can i reuse them next year if i choose to get new boots? or will the fit be much better if the fitter gets to start from scratch? I dont want to waste $200 on liners that only get one season of use, ya know?

I'd just go for new boots at that point. 4 years is a long-ass time for boots that see as much use as yours likely do.

You can reuse the liners I believe, you just have to re-bake them.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I
    My questions is: do you think i should just keep the shells and get the intuition Pro liners and maybe look at additional options to stiffen the boot up a bit (which are???)?

Or, if i do get the intuition liners this year, can i reuse them next year if i choose to get new boots? or will the fit be much better if the fitter gets to start from scratch? I dont want to waste $200 on liners that only get one season of use, ya know?

start with liners at $200 If that doesn't solve the issue the liners can be moved over to the next pair as needed

I have a super weird pair of feet that include the highest arch my last bootfitter has ever seen, a super high instep, and wide ball of foot with skinny toes, but not a super high volume foot. Anyways, the stiffest boot that we could make work was a Lange SX120. Im a big guy (6'4" and 210+lbs with all gear on) so i was a little disapointed with not getting a 130 flex, but for the past 4 years the boots have worked well enough. But now that i have put 200ish days into them, i was planning to get some intuition pros to not only stiffen the boot up a bit, but also because the OG liners are packed to shit. FYI, i have custom footbeds (if i remember right it was unweighted). Im 29 years old, ski in WA, ski pretty hard and send cliffs in the 15-20 ft range fairly consitstently. I also do short mellow tours in these boots.

New boot time. You can reuse intuitions in new boots; just mold them again.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I'd just go for new boots at that point. 4 years is a long-ass time for boots that see as much use as yours likely do.

You can reuse the liners I believe, you just have to re-bake them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    start with liners at $200 If that doesn't solve the issue the liners can be moved over to the next pair as needed
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    New boot time. You can reuse intuitions in new boots; just mold them again.
    Im buying a carbon super bike this winter so i dont have the funds for a new pair of boots as well- its gonna be many hundreds of dollars for the full fitting treatment. So basically im looking for a stop-gap for this season, and it sounds like there should be no problem taking the intuitions over to the next pair of boots (i dont want the next fitter to say a brand new shell fits all my needs, but doesnt work with my 1 season old liner, ya know).

Because ill only be using these current boots for 1 more year, anyone have any (McGuyvered) ideas to stiffen up the boots a little bit in the meantime? on top of getting the pro liners?

Im buying a carbon super bike this winter so i dont have the funds for a new pair of boots as well- its gonna be many hundreds of dollars for the full fitting treatment. So basically im looking for a stop-gap for this season, and it sounds like there should be no problem taking the intuitions over to the next pair of boots (i dont want the next fitter to say a brand new shell fits all my needs, but doesnt work with my 1 season old liner, ya know).

Because ill only be using these current boots for 1 more year, anyone have any (McGuyvered) ideas to stiffen up the boots a little bit in the meantime? on top of getting the pro liners?
    I know the bike problem all too well.

But to stiffen it up, you're really limited. It's that liner and then a WC booster strap, but it won't do too much.

*Boot fitting noob alert*

Foot is approx 265 mm long, usually wear a US size 10 shoe. Seems to be 102-103 mm wide. Rather skinny leg below the calf IMO, say 230 mm around at thinnest point between calf and ankle. I have no concept for if I have a “tall” foot, or a “high” arch or whatever.

Going on year 3 in a Solly X-Pro 26.5 shell, stock liners baked once. They’re just okay. Year one both my big toes turned black and blue under the nails. Year two no bruising issues, but after a couple consecutive first chair/last chair days the tops of both feet went numb-for like 3 months. Was afraid I’d somehow nerve damaged my feet...was sort of an “asleep” feeling, but eventually it subsided. I don’t wanna repeat that, so I’d like to dial this fit in.

Little more toe room is matter of boot punch if desired, I think. But how to address creating a bit more room along the top of foot? I live in the flatlands, literally one ski shop in the area. They may be good boot fitters, or not.

Related, or maybe not, I’m thinking about moving to an Intuition liner. I don’t love the current stock tongue style. I’d like something that feels more solid when I lean my shin into it, but still comfortable. Thinking a Dreamliner, Luxury, or maybe a Powerwrap? When I put my bare foot in the shell and move toes to front seems to be about a sharpie of space between heel and shell.

Appreciate any thoughts here (from mntlion or others) and all the knowledge shared and available in this forum.

my thoughts

1) boot shell lenght fit sound about right at 5-15mm
    2) numbness: odds are too much pressure over the instep. (only happened on long day) maybe a BIT thinner sock, loosen the buckles on the way up the chair, and/or keep looser when skiing (as long as the foot doesn't move around much)
    3) what footbed are you using? if its the stock one, get a thin supportive one (superfoot carbon, SOLE, thin, etc) This will increase overall volume in the boot, and help prevent the foot from moving around as much, so you have less tension on the toe buckles, and give the foot more room as needed

4) liners: talk to intuition directly. they are amazing with helping on the product line

Technica Mach1 boot work

So length wise I have just under 1cm for a shell fit. How much room can be made in the toe box via punching before the boot deforms?

Quote Originally Posted by thechad View Post
    So length wise I have just under 1cm for a shell fit. How much room can be made in the toe box via punching before the boot deforms?
    3-5mm.

plus you might get a bit more by making sure the heel is back in the heel pocket

thinner socks

more supportive footbed

Quote Originally Posted by thechad View Post
    How much you can punch a boot for length depends on the plastic used, shell thickness and sole stability - they vary a lot. Depending on where you need the extra length (big toe, second toe, combination of the two, entire toe box) you may run into a conflict with the binding before you exhaust the ability of the plastic to be stretched. I would say you can get 8-9mm more with the polyether Mach 1 boots as long as you can maintain a gap between boot toe and toepiece.

For an extreme example of what can be done with an elastic material (in this case Grilamid) and the right setup, here's a MTN Lab that's been turned from a 27.5 to a 28.5. Obviously it won't work with anything other than a tech binding now and you would still have to make sure the extra length doesn't push the locking lever forward while skinning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTNtoepunch.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	554.3 KB 
ID:	217048

PS The Mach 1 shell is pretty burly - depending on the shape of your heel/achilles you may also consider grinding and or punching the heel for extra length.