Page 6 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Sounds better with the Zipfits. I would try a .5cm foam wedge under the heel of the liner (stick it to the bootboard). See how it works and let me know. You also might consider an intuition liner. I rather prefer them to the Zipfit for applications like yours.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Recap : My issues seem to be solved. Coule of hours on the local slope,no probs whatsover in the feet.

Only a bit of lack of support under the arches but that is probably due that I cut away that part of the footboard in my earlier failed tests...

So problem seemed to have been too narrow boots...
    I today realized that I had forgotten that you dont have to be in constant pain when skiing!!!
    Hopefully the probs would be now behind,two weeks of charging and touring should will give a clue on that one in the forthcoming days.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I have tried to investigate my issue with cold toes in my new boots, Garmont Radium MP 25.5. I have previously owned Garmont MegaRide MP 26 and Adrenalin MP 26, and did not have this issue with them. However, they felt a bit large for me, and accoring to mntlion's size advice shell size 25/25.5 is the right for me.

I almost always get cold toes, even when the temp is just slightly below freezing. I like to buckle down tight for the downhill, and that is when the problem starts.

Initially, I thought the issue was caused by the boot being slightly narrow, since I found I get small creases under the foot after a days use. I also notice pressure on the outside of my foot when walking even with the buckles loose. I tried adding a thin bootboard, which moves the foot up to where the shell is wider, and the creases disappeared or were smaller. The pressure on the outside foot did not disappear. I still got cold toes. It is only the toes getting cold, the rest of the foot is OK. The toes can get really painfully cold, to the extent that I would almost be unable to focus properly on the skiing.

I noticed that the ski socks get very wet during ski touring. I tried adding a plastic bag between a very thin nylon liner and the ski socks, which would keep the socks dry and thus better at insulating. Still cold toes. I tried dropping the morning coffee, which could improve circulation (accoring to a friend who has had great success with this for his Reynold's). This did help somewhat.

My conclusion is that the circulation is being cut off, probably from sub optimal boot fit. One potential cause is slightly narrow last. However, when I checked the inside of the shell I noticed Garmont has used rivets attaching the silicone-ish plastic (sealing the lower part of the overlap) to the rest of the shell, and these rivets are not [insert correct English term for depression in plastic making the rivets go flush with the plastic], unlike the rivets for the boot hinges and so on. Thus this rivet protrudes a few mm from the plastic, making a pressure point that is not completely absorbed by the liner.

One of the rivets is located just about in the middle of the top of my forefoot, where I have large superficial blood vessels [here I am trying to express the fact that they are close to the skin] meant to supply my feet and toes with blood. Coincidence? I think not. Thank you Garmont!

This adds to my previous Radium grievings:
    - lower toe box making my big toe nails go blue
    - forward lean lock that does not always lock
    - the new upper buckle lock system that sometimes freezes shut, and forces me to completely unbuckle the boots to get proper freedom of movement during walking instead of the old hitch system which kept the buckles somewhat in place.

So unless someone can convince me that my blood vessel theory is stoopid, I am looking for new boots. Short list for my low volume feet: Dynafit Titan, Dynafit Zzeus, Garmont Axon (can I forgive Garmont?). Any opinions here would be appreciated. I know the Titans had an issue with buckle placement for smaller sizes, but this is hopefully solved now.

Sorry for cluttering an otherwise mostly informative thread with my rant.

weasel1: I have postponed the forward lean issue until I decide which boots to go for. I have bought Dynafit's carving plates, which I planned to cut in half and mount under the front binding. This would approximately give me 0mm heel lift in the bindings, compared to the stock 10mm.
    Last edited by arne_and; 05-05-2010 at 06:19 AM.

Arne, I think most of your problems relate to the garmonts liner, if you use that.

1.The liners stichings are at utterly wrong places resulting in poor fit
    2.soft=poor support & comfort
    3.thin & shitty materiels=cold
    4.stiching exaggerate the known radium issue,small toebox with weird rivets.

I tried to use the original liners and ended up ordering palaus (similar to intuitions) after couple of hours of skiing. No problems with forementioned issues after that.
    And the last shape was kinky for me as well.Had to punch room for the big toes and widen it 5mm at the second buckle. Now they fit well.
    Check out the intuitions (scarpa intuitions) from telemark pyrenees and punch the boot. Way cheaper than buying a new pair.

can you try the same boots, with a different liner to see if the shell or the liner is at fault?

also, different, or no footbeds make it better for the cold toes?

do you get the cold toes, with the boots on, inside? (then it is for sure a circulation thing)

maybe, with all the other issues you have listed, just dump the boots and start fresh..

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Arne, I think most of your problems relate to the garmonts liner, if you use that.

1.The liners stichings are at utterly wrong places resulting in poor fit
    2.soft=poor support & comfort
    3.thin & shitty materiels=cold
    4.stiching exaggerate the known radium issue,small toebox with weird rivets.

I tried to use the original liners and ended up ordering palaus (similar to intuitions) after couple of hours of skiing. No problems with forementioned issues after that.
    And the last shape was kinky for me as well.Had to punch room for the big toes and widen it 5mm at the second buckle. Now they fit well.
    Check out the intuitions (scarpa intuitions) from telemark pyrenees and punch the boot. Way cheaper than buying a new pair.

I got warrantied liners from garmont for my endorphin's ,they look exactly like the lace-up liners that came in the boot BUT the replacement stock Garmont liners have a Palau label on them ... SO , I am about 99% sure the stock garmont liners are made for Garmont by Palau

Other than getting them on warranty for nothing ... I would pass on Palau and go intuition

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got warrantied liners from garmont for my endorphin's ,they look exactly like the lace-up liners that came in the boot BUT the replacement stock Garmont liners have a Palau label on them ... SO , I am about 99% sure the stock garmont liners are made for Garmont by Palau

Other than getting them on warranty for nothing ... I would pass on Palau and go intuition
    To clarify, i meant in this case the palau wrap arounds that are similar to intuition power wraps. And I fully agree on going straight to intuitions. The palaus are okish,but seem to suffer for deformation during warm weather/long days. And they seem to pack out way fast. Now after 40days or something,they are due to get replaced...Not good.

The replacements are going to be the Scarpa (intuition) Speed Liners,ordering them tomorrow. In euroland they cost about 140€s,but the equalent intuitions ordered from the states would have been around 200€ after taxes,shipping and etc...

yeah I have the lace-ups from a couple of yrs ago ,they wore thru at the heel on the inside of the liner after 30 days and Garmont replaced them no quesions asked on warranty

I actualy have 3 liners I can ski in that boot the Garmont Gfits ,conform'ables and the power wraps from my alpine boots (which I havent tried yet) but so far the conform'ables I like better than the G-fit

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    can you try the same boots, with a different liner to see if the shell or the liner is at fault?

also, different, or no footbeds make it better for the cold toes?

do you get the cold toes, with the boots on, inside? (then it is for sure a circulation thing)

maybe, with all the other issues you have listed, just dump the boots and start fresh..
    I have used both stock Garmont liners and Zipfit liners. The Zips are much better for skiing, but I get cold toes in both liners.

I have tried to use custom made footbeds (don't know the brand) as well as cheaper foot beds that you bake in the oven at home (Sole?). Both give me cold toes. I haven't tried without footbeds, but the boots would be way too roomy that way. I have cranked them down almost max with the footbeds.

I tried to wear the boots in room temp, that is when I discovered the rivet issue. I buckled down like I do for the downhill, and immediately felt a pressure point on top of the foot. I investigated the shell and found the rivet at the exact same location. The boot became quite uncomfortable quite quickly, so I did not wear it for as long as I planned. The toes did feel slightly cold, but it was hard to tell.

It is possible that Intuitions could provide better padding for the rivet, but they will eventually pack out, and then the issue is back. I find that the Zips don't pack out in the same way as the Garmont/Palau liners, and I prefer them for that (and other) reason(s). But even though the rivet seems to be quite well padded by the Zip, it still creates a pressure point.

In addition, I have had big issues with the room for my big toes. The local boot fitter has tried to expand the toe box, but he has limited tools, and has not been able to help.

So even though new boots are a lot more expensive than just new liners, I am considering going that route now, since it is even more expensive to first buy new liners and then find that I need to buy new boots anyway.

strange that you need the buckles cranked down that hard, and still need more toe room?

I'm voting that they are just the wrong shape for you.

I get cold toes no matter what, snug fitting boots but they're not too small. For me, my toes are just too sensitive now days. After being out in the cold and freezing my foot for so many years, that's just how it is. I can be skiing on 50* days and still get cold toes.

I tried on a pair of Dynafit Titan MP 25 today. The shell fit seems right, or perhaps slightly long (18 mm?), but I reckon that is OK for touring. The width also seemed fine.

I first tried with the stock liners, uncooked. The initial impression was great! The toe area was a bit tight, and even more so when walking, but I expect this is something that can be easily expanded during cooking, right?

I then tried them with my Zips. Ah, that was nice! The fit felt really great, and there was ample toe room.

In both cases I did not have to crank the buckles down all the way, I have more margin for tightening further than I have on the Radiums.

Using the minimum forward lean position I tried weasel1's balance test, and they were much better than Radium. I could balance with the knees stretched out, although the balance point was almost at the tip of the toes. I only had to bend the knees slightly to get the balance point under the ball of foot or center of foot.

The local shop offered me a good price on Titan (-30%) so I have almost decided to get them. I'll need to try them on more to make sure the fit is OK.

Some questions:
    - Are MP 25 and 25,5 the same shell size?
    - Is the buckle conflict issue solved?
    - I have read about the issue with self adjusting canting, but that was seemingly solved with duct tape, which is ok for me. Are there any other issues?

Thanks,
    Arne

Quote Originally Posted by arne_and View Post
    I tried on a pair of Dynafit Titan MP 25 today. The shell fit seems right, or perhaps slightly long (18 mm?), but I reckon that is OK for touring. The width also seemed fine.
    maybe, but if you have the next shell size down it will be an 8mm fit and that is MUCH closer to the 5-15mm goal. your call, and only you can tell how they feel to you.

Quote Originally Posted by arne_and View Post
    Some questions:
    - Are MP 25 and 25,5 the same shell size?
    - Is the buckle conflict issue solved?
    - I have read about the issue with self adjusting canting, but that was seemingly solved with duct tape, which is ok for me. Are there any other issues?

Thanks,
    Arne
    1) yup, should be, but just check the boot sole length

2) maybe, you tell us. you are the only one that can feel what is going on. boot fitters, or sales staff can react to what you are feeling, not tell you what you are feeling.

3) other then a 18mm shell fit that is a bit of a worry, nope, buy and ski.

maybe, but if you have the next shell size down it will be an 8mm fit and that is MUCH closer to the 5-15mm goal. your call, and only you can tell how they feel to you.

Too bad that most of the dynafits stop at 25,like Titan and ZZeus...
    We small footed are quite shafted in that sense,luckily at least factor comes in smaller sizes in the "stiff touring boot" category.

1) yup, should be, but just check the boot sole length

2) maybe, you tell us. you are the only one that can feel what is going on. boot fitters, or sales staff can react to what you are feeling, not tell you what you are feeling.

3) other then a 18mm shell fit that is a bit of a worry, nope, buy and ski.
    1) Did that, and you're right, they're the same.

2) I thought this was an external issue. I'll (hopefully) soon find out though.

3) Bought and will hopefully be skied this weekend.

This thread needs to be stickied

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Hey mntlion, where can one purchase boot sole shims? One of the bootfitters in town has them but his suck ass (slippery as hell and last for about 2 days of my usual hiking around). I need 0.5 cm if it matters.

I did try a DIY method - I cut off the bottom of an unused old boot and am trying to find a way to grind it down to size but I'm having trouble finding a good tool to pull that off (my belt sander isn't quite doing the job). Thoughts?

Yes, I'm a freak too. Oh and any idea how to make the cuff of a Falcon 10 more upright?

Thank you sir!!
    Do you mean something like this? Something Chanlin at our shop got to build this year :-)

http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/a...ransformation/
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

P.E.T.A. People Eating Tasty Animals

I have a semi-related question. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

My boots fit (rather) well, though with broad forefeet (EE-EEE) and relatively narrow heels this took a lot of work, the whole footbed/punching/grinding/etc/etc/etc. Also, I ski with footbed buckles (both) either on the loosest click, or completely unbuckled, and the calf buckles at the 3rd and 4th from loosest. I know it's very odd, but long legs means my calves are above the boots.

All of that is kind of an aside, but should give an idea of how weird my feet are and what a pain it can be to get new boots (even though I use a great fitter in my area). My boots are from the 2004-2005 season, they've got around 140-150 days on them. Is there a good way for me to tell when I need to deal with getting a set of replacement boots, or can I just ski them until bits come off?

Well our experience here and talking to all the reps in our area we all think that boots will properly support your feet 50-70 days of normal full days of skiing. Many people put way more than that on boots but if we are talking about proper support(liners at the very least) it's a good rule of thumb. Doesn't mean that you can't use the shells longer and just change the liner but that is a crap-shoot since there will come a time where parts will start falling off(buckles breaking and what-not).

I know I have a pair of boots that has over 100 days on them and I still ski them from time-to-time...they work but are pretty squishy(I have changed the liners twice though and have a few extra parts laying about ;-) ).

In the end your feet will tell you if you need new liners or at the very least a little work. In the depends on how much pain you can deal with and your pocketbook. Both can be a huge factor in happy feet. Sooo need to go skiing right now!!!
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

I ski in a colder temps, so I think that boots last a bit longer?
    100-200 days, if the boot fits right to start with. A boot a bit too big, will become a lot too big in 50 days, so that might be why some people find the boot packs out too much?

I have some shells with 500+ days on them that I use for early season work still. 3rd liners, but same shell.

Shoot dang...500 days and still in service. I would have given up on them no matter how great they were a few 100 days sooner...but I do like to spoil myself new boots pretty often ;-)

I fit boots for a living, and I hate getting new boots for myself. I ski on boots that my store doesn't even sell, and have a backup pair so I dont have to find something new...

Anyone have any suggestions for shin bite...not bang, bite. Got new Nordica Hot Rod 125's last year. Stock liners bite the hell out of my shins. Not sure if it's the hardness of the foam or what but my shin bones don't like it....even just standing in my living room. If I put my old Lange liners in the pain is totally gone but the Lange liners are on their last legs and I hate to waste a brand new pair of stock Nordica liners if I don't have to.

are the old liners taller?

different curve to them on the shin?

is the bite at the top of the boot?

is the bite at the sides of the tongue?

naked pics of your girlfriend?

are the old liners taller?

different curve to them on the shin?

is the bite at the top of the boot?

is the bite at the sides of the tongue?

naked pics of your girlfriend?
    The liners are the same height. The bite is at the top right on the ridge of the shin bone. The Nordica tongue is definitely stiffer. The Lange tongue is flimsy and much thinner in comparison. The weird thing is that the Nordica liners seem like way better quality but the Lange liners cause me no grief at all.

And I swear it's more from side-to-side rubbing as opposed to direct linear pressure points. That's why I think maybe it's the stiffness of the foam. I have skinny legs and my shin bones are pretty exposed.

I tried heat molding. I tried shaving down the front of the tongue (because there were 2 stiffening ribs that ran the length of the tongue). I tried adjusting the cant to reduce side to side rubbing. Tight buckled, loose buckled, non-buckled.....all the same result.

I think I may have just solved my own problem....forget about it and get new liners. Unless someone has a better solution?