Page 60 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 2601
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Who are these four guys?
    You (Evo), Jim Mates, Kelley Timmons and whoever the guy is at Sturtevants. Am I missing anyone?

Here is a weird one. Hoping someone can help me think through it.

I have a pair of 2014 Dalbello Krypton Pros with about 150 days on them.

In April of last year I started to have an issue on my medial malleolus in my left boot. Was worst pain when hiking, long traversing with right leg uphill, or walking in boot. So bad that I’d limp while walking in boot until i tightened buckled. Slightly tightening the middle buckle would help, no real issues skiing in the boot outside of hiking and traversing.

Stopped skiing at the end of April and had no issues with my ankle through the whole summer.

First day skiing this season back in November the pain was back, but not as bad. Then on 5th day skiing this year (Dec 26) things got really bad. Even with boot buckled perfectly, after a few hours of traversing and skiing powder my medial malleolus started to hurt so bad I had to stop skiing after a few hours. The pain feels like my ankle bone is literally on fire.

I went to my ski shop and they told me my intuition liner was shot and that I basically had bone on plastic contact. Decided to punch out the shell and add c pads around my ankle. Skied 2 days later and the pain only improved by about 10-15%. When I got home I proformed an intuition pro wrap liner.

Skied a few more times with little to no improvement while I waited for the liner to come. Then last Saturday i skied with a slightly thicker sock (well, one with slightly more padding around the ankle. Things improved 50% and I was able to ski most of the day.

The next day the new liner arrived, and now (thinking that it was just extra padding that I needed) I took the liner back to my ski shop. Since my footbeds were around 9 years old and were slightly soft around the arch I decided to have my shop mold me some new DFP podium plus insoles and then molded them into my new Pro Wrap.

Took them out today for the first day. Parking lot and lift felt great. Traversed high T to Christmas tree. By the Time I dropped in, my ankle was already starting to hurt. By middle way down I had to stop and rest my foot. By the time I got to the bottom of Collins I was limping back to my car, after only one run. Ankle felt 3x worse than ever.

What are my next steps?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by FJ62 View Post
    . . . whoever the guy is at Sturtevants. Am I missing anyone?
    Brant Howell is the man at Sturts. Steve Forsythe is also in the group of old school bootfitters who are still at it. Martin Rand is apparently taking his retirement seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    Here is a weird one. Hoping someone can help me think through it.

I have a pair of 2014 Dalbello Krypton Pros with about 150 days on them.

In April of last year I started to have an issue on my medial malleolus in my left boot. Was worst pain when hiking, long traversing with right leg uphill, or walking in boot. So bad that I’d limp while walking in boot until i tightened buckled. Slightly tightening the middle buckle would help, no real issues skiing in the boot outside of hiking and traversing.

Stopped skiing at the end of April and had no issues with my ankle through the whole summer.

First day skiing this season back in November the pain was back, but not as bad. Then on 5th day skiing this year (Dec 26) things got really bad. Even with boot buckled perfectly, after a few hours of traversing and skiing powder my medial malleolus started to hurt so bad I had to stop skiing after a few hours. The pain feels like my ankle bone is literally on fire.

I went to my ski shop and they told me my intuition liner was shot and that I basically had bone on plastic contact. Decided to punch out the shell and add c pads around my ankle. Skied 2 days later and the pain only improved by about 10-15%. When I got home I proformed an intuition pro wrap liner.

Skied a few more times with little to no improvement while I waited for the liner to come. Then last Saturday i skied with a slightly thicker sock (well, one with slightly more padding around the ankle. Things improved 50% and I was able to ski most of the day.

The next day the new liner arrived, and now (thinking that it was just extra padding that I needed) I took the liner back to my ski shop. Since my footbeds were around 9 years old and were slightly soft around the arch I decided to have my shop mold me some new DFP podium plus insoles and then molded them into my new Pro Wrap.

Took them out today for the first day. Parking lot and lift felt great. Traversed high T to Christmas tree. By the Time I dropped in, my ankle was already starting to hurt. By middle way down I had to stop and rest my foot. By the time I got to the bottom of Collins I was limping back to my car, after only one run. Ankle felt 3x worse than ever.

What are my next steps?

Well, just made it back up today and tried a thicker sock, couldn’t even stand in boot in parking lot without a 9/10 pain.

Tried my old liner and it was an 8/10 pain.

Never injure my foot but now I’m wondering if it’s something physiological rather than my boot

Are you sure the punch is big enough and in the right spot? Take the liner out and put your foot in the boot with your footbed and try to line it up 50/50 front to back. Is the ankle touching the shell?

Since the old liners are better it sounds like you dont have enough room.
    You should also try on some traditional overlap boots and see if it feels better. Dalbellos kill my ankle too

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Are you sure the punch is big enough and in the right spot? Take the liner out and put your foot in the boot with your footbed and try to line it up 50/50 front to back. Is the ankle touching the shell?

Since the old liners are better it sounds like you dont have enough room.
    You should also try on some traditional overlap boots and see if it feels better. Dalbellos kill my ankle too
    Took the boot back in to the boot fitter today. Determined that I actually have two sore sports on my medial malleolus, and that my ankle bone is quite broad.

The boot fitter also did a 3D scan of my foot to determine the following:

Left foot is 106mm wide
    Right foot is 108mm wide
    Narrow Heels on both,
    Both feet are exactly 275mm long
    Both feet have identical height insteps of medium volume
    Both medial malleolus are about 0.5 inches further forward than is normal.
    My left foot pronates about 20 degrees while my right foot doesn’t pronate at all. Likely due to an 8 year old ankle injury.

Doing a shell fit we lined up the medial malleolus with where he punched it out last time and found that I’m actually pressing right on the ridge between the natural (and subsequently punched) ankle pocket and the natural pocket for the navicular. He is punching out the ridge between the two today.

We also put brand new foot beds in this week and he slightly canted the left one for me to help with the pronation.

He doesn’t recommend canting the boot since it already has significant wear on the sole.

His advice was that we fix this boot issue with punching and this new intuition liner and get 50-100 more days out of it.

He then said for the next boot, knowing everything we do about my foot from the 3D scan, that we should look at a medium volume 130 flex boot with a narrow ankle and a zip fit liner and I’ll be much happier. I haven’t been in a 4 buckle boot or a non-intuition liner for 10+ years so that might be interesting

Glad it looks like you’re getting it sorted out.

I also went from 3/piece intuition to race plus with a zipfit and it is amazing. So much power and control.

123ski-
    That's some really good information- could I ask where you had the 3D done and what were the costs involved? PM if you don't want to post here. Thanks and good luck with them.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

What are the pros using to glue foam to liners? Epoxy? Super glue? I need to add some padding in the ankle area of my liners, but past experience suggests that I'll need something better than the peel/stick adhesive that's already on the foam.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    What are the pros using to glue foam to liners? Epoxy? Super glue?
    Neither. Epoxy doesn't flex enough, super glue is best for hard materials with perfect surface contact (i.e. broken ceramics).

We generally use Weldwood contact cement in the shop, apply to both surfaces and make sure it's dry to the touch before applying.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    123ski-
    That's some really good information- could I ask where you had the 3D done and what were the costs involved? PM if you don't want to post here. Thanks and good luck with them.
    Sports Den in Salt Lake. Cost seems to be built into boot fitting process. Ask for Curtis or mike

Neither. Epoxy doesn't flex enough, super glue is best for hard materials with perfect surface contact (i.e. broken ceramics).

We generally use Weldwood contact cement in the shop, apply to both surfaces and make sure it's dry to the touch before applying.
    Perfect, thanks.

mntlion/gregL; what's a good quick fix and then what's the best long term fix of a cuff alignment problem? I have the non adjustable Vulcans and i've concluded that an inside ski/inside edge engagement/weighting challenge is caused by boots that are just a bit too set to fit more bowlegged skiers than myself. Did some a/b comparos with adjustable cuff scarpa maestrales and garmont deliriums and the issue went away with a more neutral/upright setting. With those boots, could more effectively engage the inside ski/inside edge, feather the edge and didn't feel as 'locked' on the downhill ski inside edge in a wide spectrum of test conditions.

things i'm thinking of trying:
    - stuffing socks between liner/shell to change the alignment of liner vs shell
    - heating liner and compressing foam on inboard side of shaft
    - heating scaffo, clamping it down and trying to lean the carbon cuff over and trying to bend/shape things more neutral

....no clue what might work, what might wreck the boots; don't wanna risk damage to boots and/or waste time guessing at it. Thanks for any tips!
    Last edited by swissiphic; 01-17-2020 at 08:54 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

can you drill out the non-adjustable side cuffs and replace with an adjustable one?

this is assuming you have a good, custom, supportive footbed? have you tired shimming that a bit more?

I think the heating the cuff would be a doable option.

can you drill out the non-adjustable side cuffs and replace with an adjustable one?

- sure, any hints on what might fit/where I can obtain those parts?

this is assuming you have a good, custom, supportive footbed? have you tired shimming that a bit more?

- yes, foot bed is good, always tweaking it in response to changes in liner packing out differently with different pack loads, temp ranges or dh/vs/ski touring variances in pressure locations. high volume intuition luxury liners...the squish underfoot insulates well but does weird things with packing out while skiing/rebounding when drying in warmer environments.

- okay, cool. Where would you target the heat and in what sequence of steps?
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post

- sure, any hints on what might fit/where I can obtain those parts?
    I strip parts from dead/warranty boots? Do you have a shop near you? I might be able to find/ship parts?

- okay, cool. Where would you target the heat and in what sequence of steps?
    So this is permanent, so go slow.

look at the side of your calf, and bend the shell, based on the calf shape you are trying to match. I would use a pant stripping gun, or dunk in very hot water, click into a ski that is held flat, and bend my leg over (boot on edge) Get someone to pack with snow to cool it and see what that does.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I strip parts from dead/warranty boots? Do you have a shop near you? I might be able to find/ship parts?

So this is permanent, so go slow.

look at the side of your calf, and bend the shell, based on the calf shape you are trying to match. I would use a pant stripping gun, or dunk in very hot water, click into a ski that is held flat, and bend my leg over (boot on edge) Get someone to pack with snow to cool it and see what that does.
    Sounds good. Will look into option 1 first, if no beuno, try the shell/cuff reforming. I have a heat gun and laser thermometer on hand. Thanks again for the advise.
    Master of mediocrity.

Search Wildsnow cuff rivet for how to-
    https://www.wildsnow.com/?s=cuff+rivet
    Most touring boots don't offer cuff alignment because it affects the lock mechanism. You may have to file out the slot where the lock stud goes into the hole to allow locking.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Search Wildsnow cuff rivet for how to-
    https://www.wildsnow.com/?s=cuff+rivet
    Most touring boots don't offer cuff alignment because it affects the lock mechanism. You may have to file out the slot where the lock stud goes into the hole to allow locking.
    Good point. Will have to carefully consider any changes in shell/cuff and how that would affect said male/female part mating....especially important considering the whole area has been modified for a custom adjustable stiffness/forward flex mod that has changed the boots' flex feel completely...don't wanna compromise that in any fashion.
    Master of mediocrity.

Male female part mating
    Phrase is woody inducing

mntlion/gregL; what's a good quick fix and then what's the best long term fix of a cuff alignment problem?
    I would say shim under the binding, it's fairly quick and permanent until you switch skis.

I doubt heating the cuff will do much on a Vulcan, as the carbon/acrylic resin doesn't really get softer when hot. As turnfarmer notes, altering the cuff rivets may change the alignment of the top buckle peg so your lean lock no longer works . . .

I would say shim under the binding, it's fairly quick and permanent until you switch skis.

I doubt heating the cuff will do much on a Vulcan, as the carbon/acrylic resin doesn't really get softer when hot. As turnfarmer notes, altering the cuff rivets may change the alignment of the top buckle peg so your lean lock no longer works . . .
    Okay, noted about potential/probable futility of reshaping rear cuff and/or changing cuff rivets...other issue i hadn't considered is the internal rear internal spoiler alignment would probably get skewed if only the cuff was re aligned.

As for canting bindings, also a possibility, though was hoping to focus on the boots not skis...rolling a quiver of about 5 pairs, all with tech binders. Have a few others with regular dh clamps, might be a good first step in temporary testing to see if canting binding would give the results i'm lookin' for.

Did a hasty test yesterday inserting a wedge shaped rear cuff spoiler between shell and liner at the 3 oclock position, laterally. Definite improvement but hard to really tell, due to mostly weird skiing facets, windslab/windcrust and i was testing out some new non field removable tail extenders on skis that likely affected how turn engagement and finish felt. Not optimal test conditions.

I think considering the time investment, risk/reward ratio for any more extensive mods to the Vulcans...prolly best just to call it and buy new boots. Anyone selling Tecnica Zero G Tour Pros in a size 25.5 for cheap in canadian pesos? Donations also accepted, lol; boots will be test subjects for extensive mods including the next refined version of the adjustable forward flex stiffness mechansim.
    Master of mediocrity.

Ok gents: 3 visits with reputable fitters have left me still in screaming pain most every day, so tapping the collective...

Main issue is extreme pain across lower outside of foot below 5th met - whatever those muscles are called.

I have good shell fit good width, intuitions and instaprints done by a good fitter.

Pain is worst on long traverses or long groomer runs.

1)BOW with the buckles tighter or looser?

Better looser but when loose enough to reduce the pain I can’t ski. Too little control, everything gets knocked around too much.

2)BOW with thinner or thicker socks?

Better thinner. Best with compression.

3)BOW with any footbeds (custom, stock, none, etc)?

For the first time today I tried removing the footbeds and skiing with just the liners - no footbed. Zero pain but too much slop. For reference with beds in, I’m usually on first/second stop on buckles. With them out I had every buckle cranked to the last stop.

This was a net gain vs with the beds but not sustainable.

Also: If I put the beds on the floor, stand on them, and weight forward, the pain kicks in in the same area. Without even being in a boot.

4)BOW skiing, standing, or feet un-weighted (hanging off a chair lift)?

Better unweighted.

5)BOW thru out the day (and when does the pain start?)
    Starts run 1.

Strangely (to me) if I take boots off at lunch, put them back on after, slightly better rest of day.

6)BOW on the first vs the third day?

No change.

7)BOW on harder or easier terrain?

No change. Worse when not pointed fall line maybe.

8)BOW with the power straps (velcro straps) tighter or looser?

No change

9)BOW if you do any particular movements, or actions?

Not really.

10) Any medical, health, or weight changes since you used them last?[/QUOTE]

Does getting older count? Beds are 5 years old.

As I type this it feels like answer is “new beds duh”. ?

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Ok gents: 3 visits with reputable fitters have left me still in screaming pain most every day, so tapping the collective...

Main issue is extreme pain across lower outside of foot below 5th met - whatever those muscles are called.

I have good shell fit good width, intuitions and instaprints done by a good fitter.

Pain is worst on long traverses or long groomer runs.

1)BOW with the buckles tighter or looser?

Better looser but when loose enough to reduce the pain I can’t ski. Too little control, everything gets knocked around too much.

2)BOW with thinner or thicker socks?

Better thinner. Best with compression.

3)BOW with any footbeds (custom, stock, none, etc)?

For the first time today I tried removing the footbeds and skiing with just the liners - no footbed. Zero pain but too much slop. For reference with beds in, I’m usually on first/second stop on buckles. With them out I had every buckle cranked to the last stop.

This was a net gain vs with the beds but not sustainable.

Also: If I put the beds on the floor, stand on them, and weight forward, the pain kicks in in the same area. Without even being in a boot.

4)BOW skiing, standing, or feet un-weighted (hanging off a chair lift)?

Better unweighted.

5)BOW thru out the day (and when does the pain start?)
    Starts run 1.

Strangely (to me) if I take boots off at lunch, put them back on after, slightly better rest of day.

6)BOW on the first vs the third day?

No change.

7)BOW on harder or easier terrain?

No change. Worse when not pointed fall line maybe.

8)BOW with the power straps (velcro straps) tighter or looser?

No change

9)BOW if you do any particular movements, or actions?

Not really.

10) Any medical, health, or weight changes since you used them last?
    Does getting older count? Beds are 5 years old.

As I type this it feels like answer is “new beds duh”. ?[/QUOTE]

thanks for answering questions

sounds like the foot bed is either a bit too thick, or the wrong shape? maybe try a similar thickness, but flat footbed and see what that is like?

idea is the toe buckles VERY lightly done up, and 100% control. sounds like the boots might be a bit loose overall too.

Thanks!

Overall volume/fit is good (when I say last stop it’s on the outermost bolt hole of 3).

Would you recommend just doing super feet as a less $$$ test for a flatter bed?