Page 80 of 105 FirstFirst ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 2618
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I guess there is probably more room to modify the liner than I considered before needing to mess with the shell at all.

I'll have to see if I can find a way to swap the shells out or trade them with someone. For now I've got some Rossignol Experience SI 130s which are much lower volume (but also pretty old and won't last forever) and seem to ski a lot better.
    Are you stuck on Technica for any reason?

When I was getting fit for new boots this year Technica LV crushed my instep, Lange and Nordica LV didn’t.

Hey! I'm trying to find a set of touring boots to replace a pair of Tecnica ZGTP that I've had issues with over the past year. The issues have mostly been bad blisters and the tight arch/forefoot fit, and while I was able to add room for that, I haven't been able to stop blisters from forming even during short tours.

I've been to a couple boot fitting sessions around Seattle where I tried on boots in both 25.5/26.5 and eventually settled on a pair of Dynafits Radical Pros in 26.5. I chose the radicals because they fit my forefoot well and because the ankle strap allowed me to get decent heel hold. However, I'm concerned whether they're still going to end up being too spacious in the heel leading to blisters.

When walking around the house with them (still haven't tried them on a tour) I notice some heel lift on the inside of my ankles (hard to tell if it's my foot or the liner itself). Cranking the ankle strap helps limit it, but it's still there, albeit better than the ZGTP. Should I be concerned and look for a different boot? Try adding volume to the heel? just tough it out and see if blisters actually form? Fwiw: I felt like the F1 LT fit really well in a 27, but that's a lot lighter than what I'm looking for.

My foot is about 26cm with a wideish last and a high/wide arch. Shell fit in the radical is a bit bigger than my middle finger, I'll try and add pics comparing to the ZGTP.

Radical Pro:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220106_222023495.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	629.5 KB 
ID:	399991

ZGTP:

Name:	PXL_20220106_232036628.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	619.5 KB 
ID:	399992

Quote Originally Posted by vonn View Post
    Hey! I'm trying to find a set of touring boots to replace a pair of Tecnica ZGTP that I've had issues with over the past year. The issues have mostly been bad blisters and the tight arch/forefoot fit, and while I was able to add room for that, I haven't been able to stop blisters from forming even during short tours.

I've been to a couple boot fitting sessions around Seattle where I tried on boots in both 25.5/26.5 and eventually settled on a pair of Dynafits Radical Pros in 26.5. I chose the radicals because they fit my forefoot well and because the ankle strap allowed me to get decent heel hold. However, I'm concerned whether they're still going to end up being too spacious in the heel leading to blisters.

When walking around the house with them (still haven't tried them on a tour) I notice some heel lift on the inside of my ankles (hard to tell if it's my foot or the liner itself). Cranking the ankle strap helps limit it, but it's still there, albeit better than the ZGTP. Should I be concerned and look for a different boot? Try adding volume to the heel? just tough it out and see if blisters actually form? Fwiw: I felt like the F1 LT fit really well in a 27, but that's a lot lighter than what I'm looking for.

My foot is about 26cm with a wideish last and a high/wide arch. Shell fit in the radical is a bit bigger than my middle finger, I'll try and add pics comparing to the ZGTP.
    heel moving in a new boot is NOT a good sign for long term. Try the smaller size, or narrower version, or at least a more supportive footbed

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    heel moving in a new boot is NOT a good sign for long term. Try the smaller size, or narrower version, or at least a more supportive footbed
    Yeah I was afraid of that. I have some custom molded sidas footbeds in them right now, but I don't think there's a narrower version. Hoji Free was death for my foot too. I tried the Radicals in a 25.5 as well but found them really tight and uncomfortable, especially across the arch where I could feel a tendon being pinched.

Any other boots you'd suggest? I was thinking about trying the Scarpa F1 but that seems a lot less burly than either the ZGTP or Radical.

the answer to "WTF is wrong with my boots?"

What should the angle of your tibia be vs the forward lean on your boots?

I’ve got a surgically repaired kneecap and the last few days out it’s been really painful and is threatening to derail my season.

When I’m skiing, my knee is regularly well in front of the toe of my boot (plumb Bob method shows 1-2” depending on how much pressure is on my shin). The pain definitely follows this pressure under my kneecap from feeling too far in front of my toes, like if you were squatting with poor form.

I also used the phone level to see my tibia angle while standing in my living room (not clicked in). My calves are very large. My tibia is at a 25 degree angle when lightly touching the front of the boot and if I pressure the shin, easily flexes to 30 degrees. I’m in a Lange RX130 that should have about a 12 degree forward lean.

Any suggestions?

not sure on the answer to question #1, but it varies a BUNCH person to person.

It sounds like you need

1) stiffer boot so you can't get your knee past your toe as much (can you make the boot you have stiffer?)

2) a more upright boot, so you have a range of motion still. (a few ways to do this)

This is all assuming your boots are not too big to start with.

So, nothing is wrong with my boots at the moment. But I'm going to be doing a downhill boot fitting soon (at FanatykCo in Whistler, based on mags suggestions) and wanted to be sure I make the most of it.

Besides having a thin sock, are there any specific questions I should be asking or things I should be thinking about during the boot fitting? It's been ~20 years since real downhill boots - because of many years on tele (Scarpa TX Pro most recently) and a few years on a snowboard - so just want to be sure I'm thinking about all the right things. It sounds like FanatykCo knows their stuff - and I will likely defer to them - I just figured I would check with the mags before heading to the appointment.

FWIW, at the end of last season I did have an AT boot fitting with Boot Mechanics in Golden, CO and ended up with the S/LAB MTN, which has worked well without any modifications for the ~7 days of touring and ~7 days of downhill so far.

bring thin socks, any/all footbeds, pants you can roll up to your knee, your AT boots that work, and an open mind on brand/size

I've gone to FanatykCo and had footbeds made and boot mods. Made a huge difference for me.

hoping to get some beta on the fit of Head's, specifically interested in the new Formula.
    i've got narrow heels, low instep, smallish ankles, but a wide forefoot. 27.5
    even with the highest fill zipfits, i'm still having trouble locking down my heel/ankle in my RX130s. been chasing boot issues all last season in both the RX130s and my 0Gs

bring thin socks, any/all footbeds, pants you can roll up to your knee, your AT boots that work, and an open mind on brand/size
    Thanks mntlion and bosco. Excited for some new boots!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have some full carbon ski mo boots that are bothering one of my ankles. My other ankle has absolutely no pain. Shell fit is perfect. I have no noticeable lift or rubbing in the ankle but the shell is pressing on my ankle where shown in the photo. It’s fine for awhile but gets sore after 1-1.5 hours. Skiing doesn’t bother it but the ROM associated with skinning does. I’ve tried a few different insoles and none of them have changed it much. Should I mold with a pad there? I’ve also considered cutting a hole in the liner in that area. The liner is a Palau made for this boot and it does have some thickness to it.

Name:	IMG_6519.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	761.5 KB 
ID:	400966

1) try pressing out, or squishing the liner thinner

2) if not try stretching the shell.

3) no pics attahed

4) ski mo is silly.

1) try pressing out, or squishing the liner thinner

2) if not try stretching the shell.

3) no pics attahed

4) ski mo is silly.
    You can’t stretch carbon.

Took me a sec to attach a pic.

Nothing silly about a perfect sunrise or sunset groomer a few minutes from your house.

I'm getting pain on the upper part of my heels in Hawx boots. I ski ultra xtds 120 in 25.5 but tried prime xtd 24.5 in store and felt the exact same thing. I can feel it when flexing into the boots at home and when skiing. Removing velcro forward lean pad on liner for more upright stance makes it slightly better, heel lifters much worse. I tried removing boot board, putting liner in and woah, no pain at all (at home, not skiing). So I'm thinking my heel needs to be a bit lower in the shell than standard to align with heel cup? What's best here, grind boot board on top or bottom (it's like flat along the the top side and has a heel under it). Any other ideas? My custom insoles are pretty grinded down already. Liner molded, not shell. Will atomic Hawx shells mold in the heel cup?

if it feels OK can you ski without a boot board?

if not grind it thinner and ski / test it as you go

or get the heel of the shell punched out/ ground out

Are they the Mimic liners? I had the same issue with the Mimic liners in my Hawx Prime XTDs and it disappeared after switching to Intuitions. No issues with my pre-Mimic Hawx Primes (non-XTD).

Quote Originally Posted by herrgard View Post
    I'm getting pain on the upper part of my heels in Hawx boots. I ski ultra xtds 120 in 25.5 but tried prime xtd 24.5 in store and felt the exact same thing. I can feel it when flexing into the boots at home and when skiing. Removing velcro forward lean pad on liner for more upright stance makes it slightly better, heel lifters much worse. I tried removing boot board, putting liner in and woah, no pain at all (at home, not skiing). So I'm thinking my heel needs to be a bit lower in the shell than standard to align with heel cup? What's best here, grind boot board on top or bottom (it's like flat along the the top side and has a heel under it). Any other ideas? My custom insoles are pretty grinded down already. Liner molded, not shell. Will atomic Hawx shells mold in the heel cup?

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Are they the Mimic liners? I had the same issue with the Mimic liners in my Hawx Prime XTDs and it disappeared after switching to Intuitions. No issues with my pre-Mimic Hawx Primes (non-XTD).
    Fascinating, this just started happening to my XTDs with Mimics after about 15 days of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    Fascinating, this just started happening to my XTDs with Mimics after about 15 days of use.
    Yeah, for me it started pretty suddenly after a dozen days or so. I've since wondered whether it was from drying the liners on one of those heat stack boot dryers - maybe the heat stacks molded weird indentations into the mimic material in the heel areas?

I'd experiment with remolding them, but after the way they shredded my heels last season I'm not letting my feet anywhere near them again.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I have some full carbon ski mo boots that are bothering one of my ankles. My other ankle has absolutely no pain. Shell fit is perfect. I have no noticeable lift or rubbing in the ankle but the shell is pressing on my ankle where shown in the photo. It’s fine for awhile but gets sore after 1-1.5 hours. Skiing doesn’t bother it but the ROM associated with skinning does. I’ve tried a few different insoles and none of them have changed it much. Should I mold with a pad there? I’ve also considered cutting a hole in the liner in that area. The liner is a Palau made for this boot and it does have some thickness to it.

Name:	IMG_6519.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	761.5 KB 
ID:	400966
    I've had this problem. Don't know if I have great solutions for a carbon boot, but I ground down that area on multiple boots and it works like a charm.

I ran into the issue a few years back on a hut trip. Didn't give it enough attention and I noticed my calcaneal tendon clicking after we were done. It persisted through pretty much the rest of the season and it was concerning enough that I played it pretty safe the rest of the season out of fear I'd rupture the tendon.

May try a donut of foam around the protrusion, otherwise stretching or grinding is the only thing that'll probably work.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

if it feels OK can you ski without a boot board?

if not grind it thinner and ski / test it as you go

or get the heel of the shell punched out/ ground out
    Completely without bootboard feels weird like with a wedge in the middle under arch, also gets overall too much volume. I'll try grinding board a bit. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Yes they are mimics. Though I felt this heel issue when first trying ultras out when they first was released (went with hoji pro tour that time).

I tried at home now lupo ultralon tongue liners, same issue as mimics on heel. Fulltilt intuition wrap liners feels better, maybe more cushioning in them? Also feels like they stiffen up the boots some. Very tight in toes and instep/lower leg bend though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    Did you mold them when new?

Ok so here’s a random question. Not really a problem, more curious.

I have S Max 130s. The liners seem to have separated, with the inside fabric layer now totally unattached from the interior foam of the liner.

Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Ok so here’s a random question. Not really a problem, more curious.

I have S Max 130s. The liners seem to have separated, with the inside fabric layer now totally unattached from the interior foam of the liner.

Is this normal?
    How old/many days on the liners?

most stock liners are mostly packed out and done after 50-100 days.

I have seen a few salomons become detached, but usually after 50-100 days

The XTDs have a very tight heel and can bite like mad, but also give great heel hold. Keep grinding that boot board down if it feels like it is biting the top of your heel.

Grinding the heel cup works but has its challenges. Thin plastic that likes to melt.

Punching the heel works as well but will mess with the walk mode. Some times I have to punch on both sides of the heel to straighten out the walk mode catch.