Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 100 101 102 103 104 105
Results 2,601 to 2,618 of 2618
    Ah. That makes sense then. Also, I guess Kicking Horse filters out a lot of super casual skiers by nature of the terrain, even if our shop is the only option for fitting.

What’s the procedure for salomons 4D liner?

HD shell is 2min at 100c, do you wait to do the liner til the boot has cooled down?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    HD shell is 2min at 100c . . .
    Who told you that?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Who told you that?
    The salomon tech manual lol

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    The salomon tech manual lol
    Well, you won't fuck it up, but it won't mold to your foot either. We do 8-10 minutes @ 117 C. depending on how warm the oven is to start (all the ovens, including the ones Salomon sends us, are pre-set to 117 C.). We do the liners on the Lange heat stacks for the "alpine" time (8 minutes). Make sure you don't walk around and stand on a hard, flat surface during the cool down phase (~14-15 minutes). We do them both at the same time.

Almost got my fit dialed on the Quattro XT. Two remaining issues:

1) At the end of the day my pinkie toes are asleep both foot. None others. I've had that ankle nerve issue before resulting in 3-5 going numb but never just pinkie toe. Already punched for width on one side including the territory that a sixth toe punch would hit. I almost feel like it's pressure on the bottom of the fifth metatarsal head?

2) This one is trickier. I have a congenital thing in my right ankle compounded by hardware that limits my dorsiflexion substantially. I have an odd tendency to suffer uncontrolled foot/ankle eversion (rolling to the outside, sometimes bad enough to catch an edge) just on that foot. How does adding/subtracting ramp angle affect ankle stability? Would adjusting my canting accomplish anything?
    Last edited by Huskier; 03-29-2024 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskier View Post

1) At the end of the day my pinkie toes are asleep both foot. None others. I've had that ankle nerve issue before resulting in 3-5 going numb but never just pinkie toe. Already punched for width on one side including the territory that a sixth toe punch would hit. I almost feel like it's pressure on the bottom of the fifth metatarsal head?

2) This one is trickier. I have a congenital thing in my right ankle compounded by hardware that limits my dorsiflexion substantially. I have an odd tendency to suffer uncontrolled foot/ankle version (rolling to the outside, sometimes bad enough to catch an edge) just on that foot. How does adding/subtracting ramp angle affect ankle stability? Would adjusting my canting accomplish anything?
    If you have enough space in your boot and you’re getting pain/numbness in the metatarsal head, my guess would be also excess pressure on the metatarsal heads.

Reduced dorsiflexion can increase pressure on the metatarsal heads. So, that congenital/injury history is likely contributing. Another thing that can contribute to metatarsal pressure is a shortened/tight gastroc muscle. If that’s the case, doing some stretching can help. Also making sure your forward lean/ramp matches your anatomy may help too.

I’m sure more pro boot fitters can chime in on this with more detail, but less forward lean is the first thing to try. It might be that your boot flex movement exceeds your dorsiflexion, which means your boot isn’t supporting your shin, and you’re getting that excess metatarsal pressure. If that messes with your stance, adding some ramp by shimming the heel could bring it back…or make it worse.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

2) This one is trickier. I have a congenital thing in my right ankle compounded by hardware that limits my dorsiflexion substantially. I have an odd tendency to suffer uncontrolled foot/ankle eversion (rolling to the outside, sometimes bad enough to catch an edge) just on that foot. How does adding/subtracting ramp angle affect ankle stability? Would adjusting my canting accomplish anything?
    Rolling to the outside is actually inversion.
    And yes reduced ankle dorsiflexion can make it worse. When you run out of ankle dorsiflexion and the knee is trying to progress over the foot compensation will occur either by pronation or supination. Pronation is a triplanar motion consisting of eversion, abduction, and dorsiflexion. Supination is a triplanar motion consisting of inversion. adduction, and plantarflexion. Bringing the ground up to the heel will reduce the need for compensatory motion. In boot modifications affect the foot/ankle, outside the boot(canting, binding delta, mount point) affect above the ankle biomechanics. So if catching an edge( outside?)on that foot is coming from you ankle/foot canting will not help. A lateral post on your footbed may help. However if catching the edge is coming from your knee/hip canting will help.
    But you need to back up and get the fore aft plane balanced first. Set your forward lean as straight up as possible and get a heel lift first.
    That alone may fix your little toe numbness.
    Also if you have no dorsiflexion in your fifth ray go back to the manipulation video I posted and watch the end where he mobilized the cuboid.

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    If you have enough space in your boot and you’re getting pain/numbness in the metatarsal head, my guess would be also excess pressure on the metatarsal heads.

Reduced dorsiflexion can increase pressure on the metatarsal heads. So, that congenital/injury history is likely contributing. Another thing that can contribute to metatarsal pressure is a shortened/tight gastroc muscle. If that’s the case, doing some stretching can help. Also making sure your forward lean/ramp matches your anatomy may help too.

I’m sure more pro boot fitters can chime in on this with more detail, but less forward lean is the first thing to try. It might be that your boot flex movement exceeds your dorsiflexion, which means your boot isn’t supporting your shin, and you’re getting that excess metatarsal pressure. If that messes with your stance, adding some ramp by shimming the heel could bring it back…or make it worse.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Good post

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    . In boot modifications affect the foot/ankle, outside the boot(canting, binding delta, mount point) affect above the ankle biomechanics. So if catching an edge( outside?)on that foot is coming from you ankle/foot canting will not help. A lateral post on your footbed may help. However if catching the edge is coming from your knee/hip canting will help.
    d.
    Next level shit, mind blown did not know that. And SS360 informative as always.

I actually went and increased my ramp and forward lean to fix an issue with my mechanics putting me in the backseat but only on one pair of skis with a flat binding delta, and only in the backcountry. It seems the toe thing is a byproduct of that, so that makes sense. The only thing I can't figure out is why only my fifth is involved, the others are totally fine

I’m a 3-piece/cabrio noob, and I bought some Dalbello Kryptons “on-sale”, on-line. I realize the liners needs to be heat moulded to fit my feet, but I’m thinking of sending them back due to the tightness. The boots are the right length, a little tight for toe width, it’s the height at the toe that’s a problem. I can close the top leg buckle, I can barely close the mid-ankle buckle and cannot close the bottom toe buckle. The loop doesn’t even reach to the “hooks”. The tongue is laying flat against shell.

Will heat moulding the liner solve this height issue, or should I just ship them back and go try on more boots?

Next level shit, mind blown did not know that. And SS360 informative as always.

I actually went and increased my ramp and forward lean to fix an issue with my mechanics putting me in the backseat but only on one pair of skis with a flat binding delta, and only in the backcountry. It seems the toe thing is a byproduct of that, so that makes sense. The only thing I can't figure out is why only my fifth is involved, the others are totally fine
    mmend you try increasing the ramp angle not forward lean.This will open up your ankle and reduce pressure on 5th and likel keep you out of backseat.. If still in backseat, maybe a higher binding delta will help.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    I’m a 3-piece/cabrio noob, and I bought some Dalbello Kryptons “on-sale”, on-line. I realize the liners needs to be heat moulded to fit my feet, but I’m thinking of sending them back due to the tightness. The boots are the right length, a little tight for toe width, it’s the height at the toe that’s a problem. I can close the top leg buckle, I can barely close the mid-ankle buckle and cannot close the bottom toe buckle. The loop doesn’t even reach to the “hooks”. The tongue is laying flat against shell.

Will heat moulding the liner solve this height issue, or should I just ship them back and go try on more boots?
    what boot (brand, model and size) where you on, and what did you buy?

how does the new shell feel with the old liner?

Odds are you are fine and just need to go ski it (or heat mold it)

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    what boot (brand, model and size) where you on, and what did you buy?
    Old Boot:
    Fisher - Ranger Free - 2017
    Mondo: 29.5
    Last: 99
    Flex: 130
    BSL: 335
    This is best fitting boot I've ever owned, once its on my foot. However getting this 2 piece boot on and off is torture. Maybe I'm just old an inflexible.

New Boot:
    Dalbello - Krypton 130 TI - 2022ish
    Last: 98
    BSL: 337
    This 3-piece/Cabrio boot is easier to get in, but the "volume" on top of the foot seems significantly lower.

how does the new shell feel with the old liner?
    I didn't try the old liner in the new shell. I didn't think the liner from a 2-piece/overlap shell would work in 3-piece/cabrio boot.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    Old Boot:
    Fisher - Ranger Free - 2017
    Last: 99
    BSL: 335
    This is best fitting boot I've ever owned, once its on my foot. However getting this 2 piece boot on and off is torture. Maybe I'm just old an inflexible.

New Boot:
    Dalbello - Krypton 130 TI - 2022ish
    Last: 98
    BSL: 337
    This 3-piece/Cabrio boot is easier to get in, but the "volume" on top of the foot seems significantly lower.

I didn't try the old liner in the new shell. I didn't think the liner from a 2-piece/overlap shell would work in 3-piece/cabrio boot.
    Please try old liner + new shell and report back

also try new liner + new shell - any footbed and report back

Please try old liner + new shell and report back

also try new liner + new shell - any footbed and report back
    I put the old liners, with old foot beds, in the new shells and was able to buckle the bottom-toe buckle. Overall the new shells felt pretty good with the old liners. Does this mean the new liners will shrink a lot when heat molded? I planned to keep the old overlap boots both as a back up, and to ski old skis that don't have Gripwalk bindings.

New liners with new shells, and old foot bed, is my original problem, where the boots are tight and I cannot close the bottom-toe buckle. Removing the foot bed doesn't fix the bottom-toe buckle problem.

And thanks for your help mntlion.

if the new shell feels OK with old liner, then it should feel OK with new liner once its packed out. Go ski it and see. (try no foot bed at all, and if that feels a bit loose, add one)

FYI: its 100% OK to ski without a toe buckle done up. I've removed mine on dalbellos as they are not needed, even with a packed out liner.

Or if it feels too tight after skiing a few runs, go pay to get it heat molded (use thick socks, toe caps, tighten buckles etc) This does NOT make a good boot fit bad, or a bad boot fit good, it just speeds up what would happen in 10 ish days of skiing.

You will be just fine, you need to ski more and think less.

the answer to "WTF is wrong with my boots?"

You will be just fine, you need to ski more and think less.
    I Wish

Thanks