Page 9 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    what is the shell fit like on the boots? (what boot, what size, what shoe size)

what is the boots flex?

sounds like too much pressure at the boots top. Maybe the shell is too stiff vs a softer liner.

any better with a small heel lift? (might make the lower shin a bit tighter, to balance the pressure on the shin?)

so you had no shin pain with the old/normal/stock liner? just with the intuition?

Shell fit is almost exactly spot on. They were a touch too small all around, but had length and forefoot width both pressed/punched slightly. I have super-narrow heels, which I think was why these were picked. They're a 28/28.5 shell Head RS80. I have around 18 mm space in the length iirc (two yellow pencils side by side), and just barely don't touch width wise. I normally wear an 11.5 EE (american) shoe.

Boot flex is old-index Head 8.6. I could try flipping the stiffness thingamajigger to soft (Head 7.6) now that I put intuition powerwraps in them.

I haven't tried a small heel lift. I'll ask about it.

Zero shin pain with the old liner. Zero pain in general, but very cold feet and control issues since the liners were wrecked from > 200 days skiing on them.

I'd wonder what a stiffening plate, on the liner, does for the boot, maybe balance the shin pressure? Eleminator tongue to balance it out, and help hold your heel back too?

18mm is on the bigger side of a shell fit. Not that you CAN change it, but 5-15 is a goal for most skiers. 3-10 for a higher performance fit.

Suggestions needed.

My feet burn/cramp under the arches. When I'm actually skiing, its not a problem. As soon as I stop or am standing waiting (especially on edge) for someone or in liftlines, its excruciating. The wider the ski, the worse it gets. The harder pack the snow, the worse it gets.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

^^ metatarsal arch support?
    -or a new foot bed with more arch support.

That is the suggestion that I received for foot burn... mine were a little more towards the ball of the foot but a new foot bed helped (until I moved into new and tighter liners...).
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

yup, check the footbeds... it is hard, with the fatter skis, and on sidehills.

try it with no footbeds, a flat footbed, off the rack, and with a custom. dont be scared to add shims, as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    ^^ metatarsal arch support?
    -or a new foot bed with more arch support.

That is the suggestion that I received for foot burn... mine were a little more towards the ball of the foot but a new foot bed helped (until I moved into new and tighter liners...).
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    yup, check the footbeds... it is hard, with the fatter skis, and on sidehills.

try it with no footbeds, a flat footbed, off the rack, and with a custom. dont be scared to add shims, as needed.

Thanks guys. I already have the full custom footbeds. It gets worse the longer I have between days on the hill. I've been running a lot barefoot and on the sand to try to strengthen my feet. Not sure how that will workout. If you have other suggestions I'm all ears.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

I'd still see if a shim, under the heel of the footbeds, makes it worse or better.

when anyone is making a custom footbed, it is a guess at best. no harm in seeing what YOU feel is better.

use a popsicle stick as a shim, and try both inside and outside, and under the heel and/or the forefoot.
    if you dont like it, just remove it. If you do like it, great, try more

Full Tilt vs Lange BSL Question

I was looking into getting some used Full Tilt boots.

I noticed that the BSL is different (both 28.5). My current boot is a Lange Banshee Pro 28.5 (BSL 326). On the sizing chart for FT it says the 28.5 is 318, does that mean that I should really be looking for FT's in 29 (BSL 326), or does the BSL on the FT's not affect the shell fit (ie - similar).

Thanks

odds are the 318 should be fine, but best to try them on first...

Just got some BD Factors, biggest size they have.

Incredibly excruciating pressure point on the outside of my heels, low down. Took it to a bootfitter, they said they couldn't punch that area of the boot because it's where two parts of the shell meet.

I also notice that the included BOA liner has thicker ridges right at that point. Boot fitter tried clamping them to pack them out, both when heated and cold, and they would just fill back in.

Without a liner my heel fits in to that part of the shell barely. Would this be a problem that could be solved by some thin Intuitions?

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    Thanks guys. I already have the full custom footbeds. It gets worse the longer I have between days on the hill. I've been running a lot barefoot and on the sand to try to strengthen my feet. Not sure how that will workout. If you have other suggestions I'm all ears.
    buttfuckin' - I had the same problem with my Krypton Pro/ superfeet combo. Long traverses would just kill my arches - actual skiing and booting was just fine. Extended weight on one ski was the killer. I ended up sticking in the little plastic arch supports that snap into the boot board. Problem solved. Cuff angle might have something to do with it too, but since the traverse pain went away I never messed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggC View Post
    Just got some BD Factors, biggest size they have.

Incredibly excruciating pressure point on the outside of my heels, low down. Took it to a bootfitter, they said they couldn't punch that area of the boot because it's where two parts of the shell meet.

I also notice that the included BOA liner has thicker ridges right at that point. Boot fitter tried clamping them to pack them out, both when heated and cold, and they would just fill back in.

Without a liner my heel fits in to that part of the shell barely. Would this be a problem that could be solved by some thin Intuitions?
    ya, that part can be stretched, but maybe by someone with more experience? a thin intuition might help too, but a punch is cheaper option ($20 vs $200) also a grind on that spot in the shell might help to

mtlion - I know you've probably already addressed this in this very thread, but I'm lazy and have a migraine. It's grind then punch right? Or is it the other way around? Or does it depend on the shell? Ages ago when I worked at a shop we used to only punch customer's boots. Mostly because there was less of a chance for doing permanent damage. Yes - they went out of business years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    ya, that part can be stretched, but maybe by someone with more experience? a thin intuition might help too, but a punch is cheaper option ($20 vs $200) also a grind on that spot in the shell might help to
    Anyone have recommendations?

I'm in Revelstoke right now, going to be in Vancouver for a couple of days. Then I'm headed back to Montreal, I've heard mixed things about the local shop, so anywhere in Northern VT could work too.

Jer: i like to punch first, then fine tune with grinds.

BiggC: I"m in banff, just down the road from Reve. People have done much longer drives to come see me.

Fanaitix (sp) in whistler does good work too. No idea on Montreal, or VT.

very helpful thanks

jgb@etree Guest
    So now that I've got my boots fitting perfectly, I need to figure out how to keep my feet dry. After jamming my feet into leaking Lange's for the past 20 years, I bought Tecnica Dragon 120's last season. Footbeds, a little work on the tounges, and some baseboard grinding has me happier than ever - but still have leaking issues like I used to in the Langes. Good thing with the langes was that I could tape the toes to keep the H2O out (and the duct tape would last 15-20 days). My issue with the Technica's is that I need to tape them up every day (when I spread the shell to put my foot in the old tape rips) and even with tape, they don't always stay dry.

I'll head the boot glove suggestions off at the pass cuz it ain't happening. Any other ideas for keeping my toes dry?

with the langes I would invert the overlap, to help make a tighter fit on the overlap.

sometimes a duct tape "joint" on the upper flap of the overlap will act as a damn for keeping snow/water out.

jgb@etree Guest
    Good call on reversing the overlap on the Langes, but I'm trying to nail down the technica's now.

I'm thinking about spreading the shell out, then putting a small bead of silicone where they overlap to help fill the gap? Obviously I'm going to try to keep the bead of silicone as small as possible as to not create a new pressure point.

Seem like a reasonable plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Yes - they went out of business years ago.
    Ski Chalet?

I just had my big toe punched on my Lange RX 120's...these are pretty damn spot on now. The only issue I have is on the outer side of my right foot, and sometimes under the arches.

I think the cork footbeds may be too thick? I believe I can just belt sand them thin, but is there such a thing as TOO thin? Or, is this as obvious as just grind until they feel flimsy and/or can see the foam material?

EDIT: Also, Lange's are the damn coldest boots I have ever had...but holy crap do they ski well. Any ideas for warmth? Or am I just best tossing Intuitions in next year and calling it good.
    You should have been here yesterday!

yup, but odds are the silicone will peal off in the cold.
    I've used pipecleaners as a damn under duct tape too.

(or bootgloves)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make il moros work better for someone with giant calves, other than the obvious get different boots.

long top bails.

move top buckle over more (re-drill if needed)

thinner socks

remove any rear spoilers.

5-10mm heel lift.

I have been having an issue with some new Scarpa Hurricanes I bought. I did a shell fot for the 29.5/30 shell and the shell fits perfectly (just touching on sides and about 15mm behind foot. They have Intuition overlap liners. I used the rice sock method to fit them to my feet and use a standard Sole footbed. The problem is my left big toe, is pressed up against the end of the liner and is having pressure/low pain all day long. Not bad pain, but it takes awhile after I take the boots off before the pressure gets better.

I took it into a local show and he said he stretched out the liner but it didn't feel much better (my toes was still pressed against the end). He did a punch in the toe of the shell and it feels a little better, but still not what I hoped. Everything else about the boot is great and the right foot feels fine, it is just my left foot (which is slightly bigger).

Would a larger size liner help? How much bigger can you get a liner than the shell size?