Page 64 of 105 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 2618
    Yeah, sorry- by buckling i mean closing tightly.

Mtnlion, I’ve got a 13-15mm shell fit...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

And not really any options for trying stuff on, especially with the scant local shops closed.
    Luckily, I’ve still got a decent pair of tlt6’s to fall back on.

Gravity always wins...

Boot liner stretching?

I have a pair of Salomon X Max 120s with Boot doc foam liners that I've been using the past 2 seasons. Tight shell fit (<10 mm). I have clipped toe nails, always use the same thin socks (Smartwool phd ultralights), custom red superfeet insoles, and use a heated boot bag. I've always had some issues with pressure in the toe box (at the end and on top), particularly on my left foot which is slightly longer than my right. Even when wearing just the liner itself, I feel an uncomfortable amount of pressure in the toes. It's still noticeable on the left foot when I am in skiing position and leaning forward. In winter conditions (below freezing), this tend to cause circulation issues.

I think stretching the liner a few mm could help a lot with toe pressure and circulation issues. I don't think I need any punches in the boot -- I think most of the pressure is just from the liner. I had briefly tried Zipfits (which have a nice thin neoprene material in the toe box), which relieved the toe discomfort but added too much stiffness and overall a harsher ride. Any suggestions on DIY boot liner stretching?

A couple things I was thinking.. applying a bit of heat to the toe box and sticking in a shoe horn for a few days. Or apply some heat and jam the end of a broom to force some space in the box. The Boot Docs are definitely stiffer / more rugged than standard liners and might not stretch as easily. thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7293.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	328546  

Quote Originally Posted by skier2265 View Post

I think stretching the liner a few mm could help a lot with toe pressure and circulation issues. I don't think I need any punches in the boot -- I think most of the pressure is just from the liner.
    Bootorials guy addresses this exact scenario.

Unfortunately, this forum won't let me post the link to the vid.

So...google "Stretching liners - Bootorials Ep. 29" and start at 1:15.

thanks man - I actually did see that video earlier. I also found another video that used a more specialized tool (like a pressurized shoe horn) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D39CmEUe5K4. Was wondering if anyone here had a recommendation. The Boot Doc liner is pretty rugged and stiff compared to the stock liner, if that makes a difference. The heat + broom is simple and is easy to try though.

^^this Aussie dude rocks.....his info is fair dinkum

Hey, I'm thinking of heading up to SLC from AZ to get fitted for some 50/50 downhill tour boots. Can anyone recommend a fitter/shop to go to in the next few weeks? I've only been to daleboot previously.

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    Hey, I'm thinking of heading up to SLC from AZ to get fitted for some 50/50 downhill tour boots. Can anyone recommend a fitter/shop to go to in the next few weeks? I've only been to daleboot previously.
    Search thread “inkline closed?” I had good luck with Mandy at mill creek 2nd tracks. Others have other recommendations typical TGR

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Most bootfitters are probably closed up between COVID and the fact that its June.

Cool thanks guys. Can foot-beds be transferred between boots?

yes,

also socks can.

and you can move your feet into other boots too

If your new boot is the same mondopoint size, you can usually simply swap them over.

If you drop down a size, you can usually trace the pattern of the OEM footbed over yours, then trim the extra length off the toe.

If the new boot is a size larger, you usually end up duct-taping a curved piece of Bontex on the front so the footbed doesn't slide fore/aft.

much nicer answer than mine. (I might have been a bit drunk)

For those of you that remove the toe buckle, what do you guys do to plug the hole to keep moisture out? Is duck tape good enough?

Thinking about removing the toe buckle on my Cosmos 3.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    For those of you that remove the toe buckle, what do you guys do to plug the hole to keep moisture out? Is duck tape good enough?

Gflex epoxy maybe

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post

Duct tape?
    Hot glue gun
    Boot glove

Cool, ty
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Ok fitters...hoping to tap into your collective brainpower here.

Since I hit 40-ish something changed with my feet and I've had a tough time getting into a boot that gave me the right fit/feel, without causing crazy excruciating pain (mostly around the joint forward of my cuboid?). Have been through 3 fitters, insoles, liners, different lasts...the only pain-free day I've had was when I got pissed and pulled the insoles out altogether. Had zero pain but felt like the ski equivalent of no-boarding....foot just sloshing around in the boot.

I went and saw a new fitter this summer. Gave him the history, bought him the built-up insoles, liners, etc. He asked a bunch of good questions that hadn't come up with the other fitters, and he thinks it's coming from my having a heavily abducted stance. The way he talked me through that showing up on the hill (specific types of pain, fatigue, etc) made good sense.

He said he's had good success with other people with a similar stance by creating a more abducted position in the boot. Punching out the outside front just a hair, and backfilling the inside, so my feet aren't getting forced more toe-in than they want to be (and all the related knee tracking issues...).

None of the other fitters ever flagged this, but it makes sense to me. It must have gotten more pronounced over the past few years, because it was never an issue before.

Wondering if you guys have any specific best-practices or lessons learned the hard way with doing this kind of work...when he was talking about this I got flashbacks of stories of McConkey mounting his bindings to offset the same issue...would really rather not go down that road, so probably going to try this first.

But let me know if there's anything specific I should be thinking about or asking for with this kind of shell work?

TIA.

I'm not a fitter, but I was told by a fitter that your feet get longer and flatter as you age. FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Ok fitters...hoping to tap into your collective brainpower here.

Since I hit 40-ish something changed with my feet and I've had a tough time getting into a boot that gave me the right fit/feel, without causing crazy excruciating pain (mostly around the joint forward of my cuboid?). Have been through 3 fitters, insoles, liners, different lasts...the only pain-free day I've had was when I got pissed and pulled the insoles out altogether. Had zero pain but felt like the ski equivalent of no-boarding....foot just sloshing around in the boot.

I went and saw a new fitter this summer. Gave him the history, bought him the built-up insoles, liners, etc. He asked a bunch of good questions that hadn't come up with the other fitters, and he thinks it's coming from my having a heavily abducted stance. The way he talked me through that showing up on the hill (specific types of pain, fatigue, etc) made good sense.

He said he's had good success with other people with a similar stance by creating a more abducted position in the boot. Punching out the outside front just a hair, and backfilling the inside, so my feet aren't getting forced more toe-in than they want to be (and all the related knee tracking issues...).

None of the other fitters ever flagged this, but it makes sense to me. It must have gotten more pronounced over the past few years, because it was never an issue before.

Wondering if you guys have any specific best-practices or lessons learned the hard way with doing this kind of work...when he was talking about this I got flashbacks of stories of McConkey mounting his bindings to offset the same issue...would really rather not go down that road, so probably going to try this first.

But let me know if there's anything specific I should be thinking about or asking for with this kind of shell work?

TIA.
    So your problem is pain while putting the boot on, or pain while skiing in it?

the answer to &quot;WTF is wrong with my boots?&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    So your problem is pain while putting the boot on, or pain while skiing in it?
    Was hoping you might chime in! (seriously...)

Only while skiing. Worse on hardpack days. MUCH worse on/after long traverses - outside of uphill foot just screaming for hours. Which makes sense to me now as that foot getting jammed “straight” by the traverse track and pushing against the shell as it tries to rotate out?

Not much relief via unbuckling. Some relief on the lift if I push my pinkie toes down like hell - I assumed I was just “making room” when I did that but now with this abduction theory it seems like what I was actually doing is pushing my foot off that outside wall of the shell and relieving some pressure?
    Last edited by optics; 10-26-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Just want to chime in and say if you have any boot issues, buying, fitting, whatever in Seattle or surrounding area go see GregL. What a truly awesome dude, great skills, knows it all, just an all around good dude, can’t reccomend highly enough, go see GregL at Evo Seattle!
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Got some boots from sports den that fit snuuuuug. They did the 3d measuring and I tried on a couple pairs. Lange LV 140 XT3. is it fine that my bigger (right) foot is getting numb within 5-10 min at home after only one heat mold? I'm assuming this will go away with time on the slopes. Seems to be pressure around the metatarsal area. Left foot is not as bad. Not buckling the tops tight at all. Some pain on the underside around the tarsal. I'm used to the sloppy boot life.

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Was hoping you might chime in! (seriously...)

Only while skiing. Worse on hardpack days. MUCH worse on/after long traverses - outside of uphill foot just screaming for hours. Which makes sense to me now as that foot getting jammed “straight” by the traverse track and pushing against the shell as it tries to rotate out?

Not much relief via unbuckling. Some relief on the lift if I push my pinkie toes down like hell - I assumed I was just “making room” when I did that but now with this abduction theory it seems like what I was actually doing is pushing my foot off that outside wall of the shell and relieving some pressure?
    Your new guy might be right; it's very hard for me to diagnose anything without seeing you and your feet in person. Abduction/alignment is usually more of a "control" issue than a pain issue (messes with your proprioception and your skis tend to toe in (or out) rather than tracking straight, but like I said I don't know. Some people have a longitudinal curvature of the foot that requires major modification all the way from the styloid to the fifth phalanges and sometimes outward at the big toe as well just to sit straight in the boot. If your footbeds have excessive support it can shift weight and pressure toward the lateral side of your foot as well. Sometimes it's simply that no one has made the boot wide enough for the foot. All are possibilities. Where are you located?