Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64
Results 1,576 to 1,585 of 1585
    Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Ok, relatively simple question i think-
    I’m trying some Alien RS, and besides needing more forefoot width, i need better heel hold. With all the buckles closed I’ve got too much room around my heel and ankle, enough to feel a fair bit of lift. Is a butterfly pad going to be worth a try?
    I put some layers of scrap ptex under my back half of my custom footbeds to take up some vertical room and get more out of the boa closure on the forefoot,
    and it didn’t change much. My tlt6’s with old intuitions feel locked down by comparison. I know filling space in a large shell is tough, any pro tips to get my heel to stay put on long tours?

I was super excited for the my first fresh touring boot in 7 years but its going to take some work...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I have very low-volume heels/ankles and started using EzeeFit ankle sleeves this season to take up extra room in my boots. They work incredibly well, providing more secure and even pressure around the ankle compared with adding pads to the outside of the liner. There are a few thicknesses available, I think mine are the 2mm version.

https://www.ezeefitsports.com/

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Ok, relatively simple question i think-
    I’m trying some Alien RS, and besides needing more forefoot width, i need better heel hold. With all the buckles closed I’ve got too much room around my heel and ankle, enough to feel a fair bit of lift. Is a butterfly pad going to be worth a try?
    I put some layers of scrap ptex under my back half of my custom footbeds to take up some vertical room and get more out of the boa closure on the forefoot,
    and it didn’t change much. My tlt6’s with old intuitions feel locked down by comparison. I know filling space in a large shell is tough, any pro tips to get my heel to stay put on long tours?

I was super excited for the my first fresh touring boot in 7 years but its going to take some work...

1) what is the shell fit like for length?

2) sounds like the wrong boot. can you try some more stuff on?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    . . . sounds like the wrong boot. can you try some more stuff on?
    In the <1,000 gram touring boot class (but not a race boot), what else is there at the moment? I've been using the Dalbello Quantum Asolo Factory this spring, which might be a great option, but there are none to try on until next year and if anything the ankle and heel are roomier than the Alien RS. I am assuming the new F1 LT will fit the same as the Alien RS, but again not possible to try on yet. I think the Atomic Backland Carbon and Fischer Travers Carbon are a little snugger, but also hard to find to try on and a bit heavier. Not sure what buckles riff is talking about in the Scarpa - there are none. All you can do is adjust the Dyneema cord and/or crank the Boa.

Yeah, sorry- by buckling i mean closing tightly.

Mtnlion, Iíve got a 13-15mm shell fit...

Gravity always wins...

And not really any options for trying stuff on, especially with the scant local shops closed.
    Luckily, Iíve still got a decent pair of tlt6ís to fall back on.

Gravity always wins...

Boot liner stretching?

I have a pair of Salomon X Max 120s with Boot doc foam liners that I've been using the past 2 seasons. Tight shell fit (<10 mm). I have clipped toe nails, always use the same thin socks (Smartwool phd ultralights), custom red superfeet insoles, and use a heated boot bag. I've always had some issues with pressure in the toe box (at the end and on top), particularly on my left foot which is slightly longer than my right. Even when wearing just the liner itself, I feel an uncomfortable amount of pressure in the toes. It's still noticeable on the left foot when I am in skiing position and leaning forward. In winter conditions (below freezing), this tend to cause circulation issues.

I think stretching the liner a few mm could help a lot with toe pressure and circulation issues. I don't think I need any punches in the boot -- I think most of the pressure is just from the liner. I had briefly tried Zipfits (which have a nice thin neoprene material in the toe box), which relieved the toe discomfort but added too much stiffness and overall a harsher ride. Any suggestions on DIY boot liner stretching?

A couple things I was thinking.. applying a bit of heat to the toe box and sticking in a shoe horn for a few days. Or apply some heat and jam the end of a broom to force some space in the box. The Boot Docs are definitely stiffer / more rugged than standard liners and might not stretch as easily. thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7293.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	328546  

Quote Originally Posted by skier2265 View Post

I think stretching the liner a few mm could help a lot with toe pressure and circulation issues. I don't think I need any punches in the boot -- I think most of the pressure is just from the liner.
    Bootorials guy addresses this exact scenario.

Unfortunately, this forum won't let me post the link to the vid.

So...google "Stretching liners - Bootorials Ep. 29" and start at 1:15.

thanks man - I actually did see that video earlier. I also found another video that used a more specialized tool (like a pressurized shoe horn) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D39CmEUe5K4. Was wondering if anyone here had a recommendation. The Boot Doc liner is pretty rugged and stiff compared to the stock liner, if that makes a difference. The heat + broom is simple and is easy to try though.

^^this Aussie dude rocks.....his info is fair dinkum