Page 92 of 167 FirstFirst ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 4154
    I posted some pictures earlier in this thread of my one on my last sled which was pretty similar. At 90 pages I'll get some pics of the current one when I get home. Way easier......... Plus the new one is layed out a little better.

I think total cost of the thing was around 200-250 bucks though.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 12-12-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I broke some cheap ratchets and decided the cfr ones were worth it, they are pretty stout. Would love a cheaper option
    Hello darkness my old friend

I have the ones I linked. They're plenty burly. Considering the IQs of some of the people I ski with, they've stood up fabulously.

It's not like cfr is stamping those things out in pemberton, might be worth hunting down the ones they order. Could be cheaper sans cfr logo.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I have the ones I linked. They're plenty burly. Considering the IQs of some of the people I ski with, they've stood up fabulously.
    I resemble that remark.

Some folks just need a more special approach to instruction. That's all.

Some folks just need a more special approach to instruction. That's all.
    No more griz for you.
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Pictures of your rack?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Here are a few

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	910.6 KB 
ID:	218703

Name:	board.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	360.9 KB 
ID:	218704

Name:	boards.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	409.4 KB 
ID:	218706

Can see the angle when mounting pairs

Name:	pair2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	824.0 KB 
ID:	218707

You can see where I copied the slot shape from mopros to hold skis up high and a board deeper so you can use the same straps

Name:	block.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	576.0 KB 
ID:	218708

snowboard baseplates for holding skiboot shells while riding. I just use a helmet bag over the top to keep snow out.

Name:	top.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	218709

I have identical brackets on both sides so any mix of skis/boards can come.

But the ability to stick the skis along the running boards AND mount them by pairs is something I still haven't seen anyone make. You can kind of get away with it with the mopros but my setup is better.

Angle aluminum from mcmaster, rack rods from any other rack or buy replacements from vortech racks (easiest). I found the uhmw blocks on ebay but you can get them from mcmaster. Then buckles and ladder straps from that test pilot place I linked above. They have the longest straps I could find, 250mm. The non ladder straps that the buckles are mounted to are just uhmw sheet, also from mcmaster.

different strokes for different folks i guess ... but first, let me say, your construction looks quality.

Personally, I can't stand having my skis anywhere near where my feet go. it makes it super hard to ride the machine aggressively. Can you bring extra gas? looks like you don't really have room.

tell me more about your running boards?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    different strokes for different folks i guess ... but first, let me say, your construction looks quality.

Personally, I can't stand having my skis anywhere near where my feet go. it makes it super hard to ride the machine aggressively. Can you bring extra gas? looks like you don't really have room.

tell me more about your running boards?
    Thanks! This is like the 5th one I've built so there's a lot of learning from fuckups in there.

As far as stuff by your feet, me neither. Which is why you have to trust me when I tell you the skis are so flush, you literally don't even notice they're there. I've got cast plates on there too so I also take the toe piece of the binding off. But it's just the thickness of a ski that's taken up, that's not much. You'll have snow buildup on a sled blocking your feet more than the skis ever will. I've seen too many skis broken and tunnels/racks get fucked up when things get rowdy and there are big levers hanging off the back. Fine for tandem riding but that's about the only time I want them there.

edit: fuckit, here's a better view

Name:	side1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	766.8 KB 
ID:	218715

Name:	side2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	704.3 KB 
ID:	218716

Name:	left.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	804.6 KB 
ID:	218722

2gallon gas jug fits where I've got that bag.

Name:	gas.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	752.0 KB 
ID:	218723

Running boards are BM fabrications. He makes them for all 3 brands. They're the first thing I put on a sled now when I get it.
    https://bmfabrications.com/
    Last edited by kidwoo; 12-12-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Nice rack! Looks like you've definitely made it work for you. Those bm boards remind me of airframe. Looks awesome and no snow.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Nice rack!
    pervert

#metoo

Yeah same idea as the airframes. They actually really help sled handling too because there's almost no flex in them. Big fan.

The skis along the running boards look actually ok. Do you wear ski boots while riding the sled? Asking because it looks like ski boots would work the skis over.

I have a CFR and snapped my one-of-a-kind-custom-carbon-all-time-favorite-skis last spring while rooping on the way out in manky snow. I was severely depressed for a week.

edit: These will never exist again....

Name:	20170327_120412.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	938.3 KB 
ID:	218788
    Last edited by el hefe; 12-13-2017 at 05:48 PM.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    The skis along the running boards look actually ok. Do you wear ski boots while riding the sled? Asking because it looks like ski boots would work the skis over.

I have a CFR and snapped my one-of-a-kind-custom-carbon-all-time-favorite-skis last spring while rooping on the way out in manky snow. I was severely depressed for a week.
    Shitty. A buddy who used to post here broke two skis off his cheetah within a month or two. Hence the running board setup. I very much like riding sleds in all the ways they're capable out to ski zones so like to have things snug and secure and out of the way until it's ski time.

I don't ride with ski boots. I take out my ski boot liners, and stick them in some snowboard boots to ride. Put in the trail, switch the (warm) liners over to the ski boot shells and then party time.

I've been debating trying to get one of these on the back since I do have a 12v outlet
    https://www.amazon.com/Sportube-Toas...V3NYXXBERRHZW8

Can't be bothered switching out boots. I use touring boots with vibram soles and don't have issues with the sled. also don't like having extra shit on the back of the sled, that's where my emptys go.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Can't be bothered switching out boots. I use touring boots with vibram soles and don't have issues with the sled. also don't like having extra shit on the back of the sled, that's where my emptys go.
    This, nothing i can't ride in my shoguns. Rooping, trees, etc. That and I'd never be able to get my alpine boots on if the shells were cold.

Yeah I despise riding in ski boots.

It's not a matter of can/can't, just a matter of what I'd rather ride in. Especially on those days you end up doing way more sledding than skiing.

Was talking with a friend who has the linq cfr rack and the extra length of it does not work as good as the original rack. There is not enough angle on the skis and bindings/brakes hit the top rack rail. Could be just his set up on the skis.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

The purpose of the design and angle of the LinQ CFR is so your skis aren't rubbing against the tunnel and the skis tips are higher off the snow to prevent the all so terrible bent ski syndrom. Mine works excellent- highly recommended if u are looking to take the rack on or off or need to move it forward or back for expeditions. Also great if you don't like drilling holes in your tunnel.
    Last edited by teamdirt; 12-13-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Shitty. A buddy who used to post here broke two skis off his cheetah within a month or two. Hence the running board setup. I very much like riding sleds in all the ways they're capable out to ski zones so like to have things snug and secure and out of the way until it's ski time.
    It actually seems like the questionably-mounted-with-ATV-gun-racks-and-ski-straps solution I've been using has an advantage there—I think the securing straps on the gun racks would fail before the skis (well, depending on the exact MOI, of course). Yes, if someone who can really ride borrows my sled with the skis strapped on that way, they may end up going back to pick them up...but I don't have the sledding expertise to get that rowdy, and when I do goof up, hopefully the skis will end up detaching themselves from the sled before they get bent.

I've been waiting months for the backcountry United Linq mount to be ready. I could have built my own by now.

Picked up the new Kitty Cat today! First time on a 162, we shall see how I like it.

Name:  IMG_20171213_115019_407.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  93.5 KB

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

But the ability to stick the skis along the running boards AND mount them by pairs is something I still haven't seen anyone make.
    Thanks! This is like the 5th one I've built so there's a lot of learning from fuckups in there.
    I've seen too many skis broken and tunnels/racks get fucked up when things get rowdy and there are big levers hanging off the back.
    I was perfectly content to pull out the credit card and buy a rack until you showed me exactly what I've been wanting....

Having the skis separated and along the tunnel will put a whole lot less force on a weak part of the sled for bashing through whoops, aggressive slednecking etc, but you still retain the ability to bring two sets of skis on a mellow run, perfect. Also like how low it is compared to a MoPros, or CFR.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    I was perfectly content to pull out the credit card and buy a rack until you showed me exactly what I've been wanting....

Having the skis separated and along the tunnel will put a whole lot less force on a weak part of the sled for bashing through whoops, aggressive slednecking etc, but you still retain the ability to bring two sets of skis on a mellow run, perfect. Also like how low it is compared to a MoPros, or CFR.
    Mopros need to get someone who's not a fucking illiterate bro brah to build their website. But they had some pics in their first incarnation of a website lost among the incoherent word puke that showed a setup that did this. I mean you have to be able to position those brackets to do the same thing I did, I don't see why you couldn't.
    The biggest difference with mine is that it's kind of narrow. You might have to narrow up the rack but there's nothing about that layout that's that different. The cfr and mopros are pretty wide so the tips of skis clear the tunnel when stacked together. But you can for sure cut the bars and narrow up a mopro version.

god that website sucks though

Before I drop $120 on ladder straps and ratchets (thanks for the link BTW), any reason people prefer that system over something like a voile strap cut in half? Less crap flopping around back there, and it seems like it'd be able to perform a similar function.

If you use them just to cap a pair of skis or board sitting in a groove or a block, that would probably work for a while.

Voile straps will eventually break if you put too much load on them though.
    CFR/Mopros/every rack worth a damn uses uhmw sheets for a reason. Edges won't cut it and it's rigid once fastened down.

You know how much a good chunk of mass gets bounced around on a tunnel. Shit needs to be tight. Voile straps need to be pulled so tight to get there they get stressed. It's good to have them around for a backup and they'll definitely hold stuff to a rack just fine. It's just not reasonable to expect that to be your regular system that gets used 100x a year.

Here's what I used from McMaster

Name:	straps.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	218874
    Last edited by kidwoo; 12-14-2017 at 04:13 PM.