Page 42 of 167 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 4154
    Quote Originally Posted by fivefourtwo View Post
    If you were looking at picking up a new 2012 sled what would you be looking at?
    Exactly the one you're looking at

Or a holdover 2011 pro, or a holdover 2011 arctic cat m8........ but mostly the sled you're looking at.

There are some good deals floating around right now price-wise on 2012 pros. If you can wait till next month when they open up the spring checks on the 2013s you could probably find some cheap 2012s pretty easily.

Don't you guys get taxed more and ostracized socially if you buy anything but a skidoo up there?

Try to get a demo ride on an xp somewhere if you can. The 2012s are supposed to be pretty legit. I think the older ones handle weird but that's a personal thing and I haven't even seen a current year one. They've got a little more HP for running tandem if that's a big deal. Nadia should chime in shortly......she rides the shit out of hers.

But ANYTHING made in the last 5 years should pretty much blow you away compared to what you've got now. No matter what you get from any of those three brands, you'll be stoked.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 02-23-2012 at 03:37 PM.

I am sure I will be stoked! That is the plan, don't know about next month but hopefully find one heldover this summer for a good price. Would be nice to demo an xp as I've never had the chance to ride one before.

Any thoughts on what track length to go with? I am torn between the two lengths 155 and 163. Seems like the length will give me a fair bit of an advantage in the deep and steep, but the 155 might be a fair bit more maneuverable.

"155 and 163" 63 is too long unless all you are planning on doing is tandeming on it. Me and my buddies mostly have 46's in the xp and they do the job just fine. One of my friends has a 63 and we call him "johnny alberta". It is nicer for tandeming but it is a beast in the trees.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Think again on discounting the ski carry under the seat. ANy other system requires the skis to be lashed to the side rails, flush against the side of the sled, or have a rack that causes them to be farther off to the side and or farther out behind the machine. Havinf the tails go into the seat, and then strapping them down to the tunnel in 2 places using a gun mount or something keeps them out of the way entirely. Being able to have them out of the way like that without hanging too far off the back is a huge advantage for handling, not to mention you bindings don't get kicked around and broken. My crew has been victim to at least 1 broken ski, and a broken binding. Everybody has their own preference though.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhucker View Post
    Think again on discounting the ski carry under the seat.
    Agreed, the closer into the tunnel the better chance of survival on rollovers and tumbles. also without racks and shit protruding out from the sled theres less things to stab you when the damn thing rolls over you (or the rider) on that almost made it but not quite uproute that goes horribly wrong.

Video from last week.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhucker View Post
    Think again on discounting the ski carry under the seat. ANy other system requires the skis to be lashed to the side rails, flush against the side of the sled, or have a rack that causes them to be farther off to the side and or farther out behind the machine. Havinf the tails go into the seat, and then strapping them down to the tunnel in 2 places using a gun mount or something keeps them out of the way entirely. Being able to have them out of the way like that without hanging too far off the back is a huge advantage for handling, not to mention you bindings don't get kicked around and broken. My crew has been victim to at least 1 broken ski, and a broken binding. Everybody has their own preference though.
    But but but.......where do you put the beer?

Cat's dumb ass belt placement on my sled right on the clutch cover, makes me put it into my seat. I don't want to bake the thing. I've been riding with my tips in the footwells, and skis along the running boards for years......plenty of rolls, never had a problem. They really don't stick out that much. Can you pull two pairs of skis up that way?

You know somebody that's broken a binding doing the skis along the tunnel thing?

Anybody here actually own RMK Pro? Opinions seem to be all over the place as far as durability and reliability go. I know of 3 blown motors and and two other riders who seem to snap the alu A arms pretty frequently (one has been through 3 sets). Curious if there are some other folks out there beating these things hard with good results? I sure would like to get one just based on how they ride. Rode the 12' Cat and prefer my 09 M to it as far as the 12 Doo, I loved the power and felt like it was the best handling Doo yet. But, still not as easy to throw around as the old M's. Now that 13' Doo looks super interesting...
    Sorry guys just thinking aloud here. Now who wants to buy my 09 M so I can get a new sled?

I don't have room to put a pair of skis in my trunk. I need to put a towstrap, tool kit, 3rd belt, and other little odds and ends in there. Doesn't that just fill your trunk with snow and run the risk of fucking up your seat? I don't know, just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Anybody here actually own RMK Pro? .
    I dont own one but my riding buddy does. It pulls like a mofo. I have a 2010 D8 and the rmk pro has at least 5-10 honest track to snow more hp. We tandem shit we can barely make it up so your really notice switching back and forth.

I dont really get the whole blowing up thing. You buy a $10,000 toy, you buy the warranty and a few hundred a year for insurance and fok it.

God I hate this winter- 3 rides total so far, I sad

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Does it make you wish you spent $4K on a decent sled instead?

Quote Originally Posted by AKturnanburn View Post
    Does it make you wish you spent $4K on a decent sled instead?
    decent sleds are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Sounds like a bad harness. There isn't really much of an electrical network on those things (compared to newer sleds). You checked the stator output, tried a new harness, checked for grounding at all the handlebar junctions?

Did your coolant problem get figured out? There's a little thermostat replacement thing for revs that that's pretty cool. I ran one on my rev the whole time I had it and never had any cooling problems. It's a little aluminum cylinder that has an orifice in the middle that you put in the coolant line instead of a thermostat. It's basically a flow regulator. It doesn't let coolant free flow like it would with no thermostat but does keep it constantly cycling and never has anything to get stuck.
    Coolant issue got figured out. Sautered all the handlebar connections, so all good there. Where is the stator? Just check it with a volt meter? And is there a way to check the wiring harness for a short or would I have to redo the whole thing?
    i shred the gnar

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I dont own one but my riding buddy does. It pulls like a mofo. I have a 2010 D8 and the rmk pro has at least 5-10 honest track to snow more hp. We tandem shit we can barely make it up so your really notice switching back and forth.

I dont really get the whole blowing up thing. You buy a $10,000 toy, you buy the warranty and a few hundred a year for insurance and fok it.

You'd get the sled blowing up thing if you rode in areas where the only option for a blown sled is a heli tow out. Warranties are great, but they don't do a godamn thing for ya in some nasty hole 20 miles of sidehilling and big pulls back. Not trying to be an ass here, I just like to keep the odds in my favor. I realize they are all sleds and sleds blow up, break, etc...but you still want the one with the good track record.

One should also note, upper A arm on the 11/12 doo=$75, upper A arm on Pro=$200+
    Ouch!

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum193 View Post
    Coolant issue got figured out. Sautered all the handlebar connections, so all good there. Where is the stator? Just check it with a volt meter? And is there a way to check the wiring harness for a short or would I have to redo the whole thing?
    All your answers are on dootalk. If you're looking for parts let me know have about 1/2 of a '04 800 left in my garage I'm parting.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    You'd get the sled blowing up thing if you rode in areas where the only option for a blown sled is a heli tow out. Warranties are great, but they don't do a godamn thing for ya in some nasty hole 20 miles of sidehilling and big pulls back. Not trying to be an ass here, I just like to keep the odds in my favor. I realize they are all sleds and sleds blow up, break, etc...but you still want the one with the good track record.

One should also note, upper A arm on the 11/12 doo=$75, upper A arm on Pro=$200+
    Ouch!
    Good point. I am pretty much looking at a new doo or a new pro and am going to try and demo each of them in the next month. Will likely decide then after talking to the guys that are going to let me try them out and seeing how they both feel. Either way, stoked to get on a new sled!

Sounds like a bad harness. There isn't really much of an electrical network on those things (compared to newer sleds). You checked the stator output, tried a new harness, checked for grounding at all the handlebar junctions?

Did your coolant problem get figured out? There's a little thermostat replacement thing for revs that that's pretty cool. I ran one on my rev the whole time I had it and never had any cooling problems. It's a little aluminum cylinder that has an orifice in the middle that you put in the coolant line instead of a thermostat. It's basically a flow regulator. It doesn't let coolant free flow like it would with no thermostat but does keep it constantly cycling and never has anything to get stuck.
    If you think the harness is bad, the cheapest and simplest fix is to add some dielectric grease to all of your harness fixtures. Keeps water and rust out and secures a better connection between electrical posts. The Doo's are ?notorious? for they beeper/engine retarder going off after start up. Wiggle the tether and all is good. Put a little dielectric in those dry harnesses and it solves the problem. I only have to wiggle the tether once every ten or so starts now. helps with any of the electical fitting. Any auto parts store should carry some, while none of the sled dealers seem to keep any in stock.
    you have to shoot something, cut something, or burn something every day for redneck consideration

Quote Originally Posted by skibum193 View Post
    What VC said. Usually those harnesses go bad because of anything from just straight up melting from leaning against something they shouldn't, or literally just developing a bad connection somewhere in the clusterfuck that those things are. Stators ARE something you can check but they feed lots of other things that don't operate on the same voltage. So you can test the stator output for sure, but if it's beyond the stator, you need to start checking individual supplies to the various bits on the sled.

The stator is that funky looking alternator kind of thing down by your starter rope inside the hood. But yeah, check dootalk for sure. Smarter rednecks there than I'll ever be. And I can vouch for VC's extra Rev parts. I towed his last one back to the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by famous View Post
    If you think the harness is bad, the cheapest and simplest fix is to add some dielectric grease to all of your harness fixtures. Keeps water and rust out and secures a better connection between electrical posts. The Doo's are ?notorious? for they beeper/engine retarder going off after start up. Wiggle the tether and all is good. Put a little dielectric in those dry harnesses and it solves the problem. I only have to wiggle the tether once every ten or so starts now. helps with any of the electical fitting. Any auto parts store should carry some, while none of the sled dealers seem to keep any in stock.
    Those DESS keys are fun when they start making the thing fire on only one cylinder. Pretty unique sound

It was DEEP in the Revy backcountry today, so deep!!

Is there a sled in there?

Exactly the one you're looking at

Or a holdover 2011 pro, or a holdover 2011 arctic cat m8........ but mostly the sled you're looking at.

There are some good deals floating around right now price-wise on 2012 pros. If you can wait till next month when they open up the spring checks on the 2013s you could probably find some cheap 2012s pretty easily.

Don't you guys get taxed more and ostracized socially if you buy anything but a skidoo up there?

Try to get a demo ride on an xp somewhere if you can. The 2012s are supposed to be pretty legit. I think the older ones handle weird but that's a personal thing and I haven't even seen a current year one. They've got a little more HP for running tandem if that's a big deal. Nadia should chime in shortly......she rides the shit out of hers.

But ANYTHING made in the last 5 years should pretty much blow you away compared to what you've got now. No matter what you get from any of those three brands, you'll be stoked.
    Haha I didn't even see this... but yeah like he said, anything in the past 5 years will do the trick. I would recommend ANYTHING but a Yamaha, however. Unless you're the hulk and you enjoy deadlifting 700lb's multiple times a day and scaring off any potential riding buddies.

I ride a 2nd hand Ski-doo 137" Freeride prototype. Anything 146-154" in track length should do the trick for tandeming. Hell I tandem on my 137" just fine. That E-tec engine in the 137" actually climbs better and has more power than my 146" 2009 P-tek did.

Some guys swear by cats, some guys like the polaris's, some people like ski-doo. Demo them all and find out what suits your riding style. None are better than the others in regards to breaking though... all sleds will probably blow a top end around ~4500km. All sleds need their clutches cleaned every 1000km and chaincase too. A-arms, steering posts etc.. it will all go regardless of model with enough time and mileage.

On to the stoke!

Footage from today.

Footage from 2 days ago.

I will also add that it is definitely worth buying new if you plan on doing more than 10+ days on the sled a year. New sleds come with 2-3 years of engine warranty, and a new engine will cost you $3000. Buy new, take the loss of ~1500-2000$ and swap it out for new every 2-3 years when the warranty expires.

Thanks for the feedback on purchasing a new sled Nadia, sick stoke too! Got a demo set up for one of the new ski doos at the end of the month, going to test drive a friends 12 rmk. Can't wait to pick one up!!

Quote Originally Posted by fivefourtwo View Post
    Anyone riding one of the Pro RMK's. I'm thinking about upgrading this summer to a 2012 sled. I've been learning to ride on a 01 RMK for the past few seasons and I think its time to upgrade. Sleds sure have come a long way. It seems like alot of guys around here have been going with the pro's and not having too many issues but I'm looking to hear some other opinions.

If you were looking at picking up a new 2012 sled what would you be looking at?
    The newer rmk pros are an absolute game changer. Still waiting to hear how the engines hold up, but handling beats all others by light years. Watching people shake and bake when stuck is unreal.

I recently picked up an 08 m1000...it's a sick!!!! sled.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	111175

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	111176

Also seriously considering getting a pro as well. I might stay away from next years pro, the belt driven gears are new tech on a sled, and there isn't even a cover. We'll see. heh.

TAP-that's a great sled you bought! It is basically the same sled I used to have. (04 king cat 900) That engine is bomber only reason I sold it is I needed a sled with reverse cuz of my sled deck. Just make sure and warm that sled up before ripping it wot. Always check the rear bumper to see if it's warm (which lets you know the thermostat is open) I kinda miss my king, all that low end torque was awesome.

Hot damn theres a lot of hoses and wires on this 06 polaris, where the hell do all these things go? how do I bleed the oil lines, I don't want to toast my new pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by famous View Post
    Thanks, I use it in my nautique all the time, but never thought about the harness.

Heads up!

This happened at Keefer lake (Monashee pass/Pinnacles) last weekend.

Message from a buddy on facebook:

"just a heads up...a crew staying at keefer last weekend had 3 new sleds gripped. they were staying in the long house...3 dudes hiked into the lodge from km 10 late sat. night...slashed all truck tires, stole all sled keys & snipped every spark plug wire & fuel line they could get their hands on (so nobody could chase them). fired up & made off with 2 new polaris's & 1 new skidoo...rode them back out to km 10...loaded up & drove off. obviously, the noise didn't go unheard...they witnessed them ride off, but the only evidence left were boot prints & evidence of where they loaded up @ km 10. some fellow sledders had to leave their truck with 2 sleds on it overnight tues. (because it wouldn't start)...they had to drag it up behind one of the cabins out of sight...& picked it up first thing this morning. useful info. given a keefer booking @ the end of the month...fyi..."
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!