Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 112 113 114 115 116 117
Results 2,901 to 2,912 of 2912
    Quote Originally Posted by salomonskiier12 View Post
    For sled skiing, having an 800 is really nice. Being able to blast up areas while towing and riding side by side is super nice.

I had a 1st gen (2004-2007ish) Ski Doo Summit 800 with high miles, and it was bombproof. Parts are easy to come by and they're easy to work on.
    Ah! I've been pondering a 2005 summit, 159, fresh rebuild. My local sled guru warned me but overall it's very tempting. I'll have to revisit that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Gravity always wins...

06 skidoo Rev: strong motors, keep an eye on the carburetor boots, they crack easily and then bye bye motor, handle like 2006 but decent enough ski sled, 07 got a weird motor that they didn't have figured out until...........
    NOT an 08 Rev XP, they still had a few things to figure out on that chassis
    07-2010 Polaris 700, stay away from anything 800 in those years
    Arctic cat M7 or M8 from 2007-2011. Bombproof, Change the diamond drive oil regularly, you can maybe add reverse to the non-reverse models. Best of the bunch in that price range IMO.

3k will get you any of those if you look hard enough

Do NOT buy ANY polaris 2006-2007, any motor size. Just don't do it.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 10-08-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    06 skidoo Rev: strong motors, keep an eye on the carburetor boots, they crack easily and then bye bye motor, handle like 2006 but decent enough ski sled, 07 got a weird motor that they didn't have figured out until...........
    NOT an 08 Rev XP, they still had a few things to figure out on that chassis
    07-2010 Polaris 700, stay away from anything 800 in those years
    Arctic cat M7 or M8 from 2007-2011. Bombproof, Change the diamond drive oil regularly, you can add reverse to the non-reverse models with a lever, it's easy. Best of the bunch in that price range IMO.

3k will get you any of those if you look hard enough

Do NOT buy ANY polaris 2006-2007, any motor size. Just don't do it.
    Iíve had my Ď08 rev xp for a couple seasons now. Other than crashing into things and breaking things while Ďfixingí them Iíve had good luck so far. Bought it with 2400km on it and still going strong. Sure, it might blow up some day but the price was right and it got my into sledding. If youíre using as you suggested, which sounds similar to my uses, it doesnít go through nearly the pounding Iíve seen others put on their sleds.

That being said, others here know far more than me about these things. And itís worth noting the wifeís Ď09 held up much better than mine when I ran into her sled, so maybe thereís something to the claims.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    I’ve had my ‘08 rev xp for a couple seasons now. Other than crashing into things and breaking things while ‘fixing’ them I’ve had good luck so far. Bought it with 2400km on it and still going strong. Sure, it might blow up some day but the price was right and it got my into sledding. If you’re using as you suggested, which sounds similar to my uses, it doesn’t go through nearly the pounding I’ve seen others put on their sleds.

That being said, others here know far more than me about these things. And it’s worth noting the wife’s ‘09 held up much better than mine when I ran into her sled, so maybe there’s something to the claims.
    The bearing around the jackshaft behind the secondary is just a matter of time kind of thing. Hopefully whoever you bought that from replaced that section. Besides weird self-destruct tuned motors, that's the one big one. They seize and will literally cook the jackshaft to the point that the secondary just shears off. The bearing isn't stout enough so it gets weird loads, wears out quickly and just seizes up, causing the jackshaft to just spin in locked up bearing. Plus those were literally the lightest sleds made at that point, they're kind of bendy. They got heavier every year after for a reason. Mostly fixable stuff, you just have to know what to check.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

So many design points to balance. I definitely enjoy the discussion though, it helps me overthink this properly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Gravity always wins...

The bearing around the jackshaft behind the secondary is just a matter of time kind of thing. Hopefully whoever you bought that from replaced that section. Besides weird self-destruct tuned motors, that's the one big one. They seize and will literally cook the jackshaft to the point that the secondary just shears off. The bearing isn't stout enough so it gets weird loads, wears out quickly and just seizes up, causing the jackshaft to just spin in locked up bearing. Plus those were literally the lightest sleds made at that point, they're kind of bendy. They got heavier every year after for a reason. Mostly fixable stuff, you just have to know what to check.
    Living on the edge!
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I've had a bunch of Doos including an '08 and I've never heard of this issue. I do a lot of my own wrenching and follow the Doo owner websites pretty closely. This just isn't a major issue on XPs. Older Doos are generally pretty dependable. I would be comfortable buying a Rev for sled access skiing purposes. Same goes with older M series Cats. Not much confidence in an older Polaris, especially any Dragon. Availability of a decent dealer nearby should be a major consideration. Cat has killed most of their dealer network in WA. Doo dealers are plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    I've had a bunch of Doos including an '08 and I've never heard of this issue. I do a lot of my own wrenching and follow the Doo owner websites pretty closely. This just isn't a major issue on XPs. Older Doos are generally pretty dependable. I would be comfortable buying a Rev for sled access skiing purposes. Same goes with older M series Cats. Not much confidence in an older Polaris, especially any Dragon. Availability of a decent dealer nearby should be a major consideration. Cat has killed most of their dealer network in WA. Doo dealers are plentiful.
    I've personally towed out two that did exactly what I describe.

As far as it not being a known issue.....you're not looking hard enough. It's a thing. This took me about 5 seconds to find.
    https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic...brace-failure/

I never owned that vintage but I think there was a TSP or recall on those, at the very least an update. Regardless they changed the design for a reason the next year.

I'm not trying to fool anyone. I promise.

I've personally towed out two that did exactly what I describe.

As far as it not being a known issue.....you're not looking hard enough. It's a thing. This took me about 5 seconds to find.
    https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic...brace-failure/

I never owned that vintage but I think there was a TSP or recall on those, at the very least an update. Regardless they changed the design for a reason the next year.

I'm not trying to fool anyone. I promise.
    Ha! That actually happened to me on my '09. It isn't the jackshaft bearing, it's the attachment point for the brace that supports the jackshaft bearing. The pressed in stud attached to the tunnel (to which the bottom of the brace is attached) pulls out and the secondary clutch is then pulled toward the primary clutch when under load. Causes all kinds of major issues, like you described. Definitely not a super common issue. When it happened to me, my dealer had never seen it before. I had to do the fix myself (pulled the track and put in a through bolt ). I pounded that sled pretty hard in the mountains. If you're just riding up snowed in approach roads to access tours, you will probably have none of these issues.

Can't go wrong with 07-11 800 cats, best years are 10-11 more hp. Have seen a couple with 10,000miles. Diamond drive is the only issue, just need bearing update.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Denver snowmobile expo this weekend. Should I go to the swap meet and get another sled on the cheap? People and shops sell nice used sleds for insanely low prices...

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Denver snowmobile expo this weekend. Should I go to the swap meet and get another sled on the cheap? People and shops sell nice used sleds for insanely low prices...
    Good place to check out multiple sleds quickly and get to look at a bunch of cool sled related stuff. Win win to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk