Page 133 of 167 FirstFirst ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 4154
    Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Ski-Doo has the same mounting brackets, but I’m presuming you tried them already. Did you try any of the local dealers around where you live?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Ya. Small town. Sold out...

Will try to search the thread...
    Drive slow, homie.

Take a couple 2x6 x2' long, glue together and then cut out the shape and size you need.
    Or if you have a plastic supplier close pick up a chunk of HDPE or equivalent and cut it to shape.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Might be able to get someone to cut them out with a CNC machine?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Got a CFR rack, but the ski mounting brackets seem to be sold out.

Anyone successfully rigged something up or seen something that's worked well?
    I've been waiting 4 weeks for rack and brackets...
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I’ve got the vaccine! Oops that was someone else I mean a single Used ski bracket system in my spare parts...whose more desperate to sled ski? Shafty or Z? Keep in my mind this is from my emergency parts...

Did anybody call Dave at Cheetah directly?

I don't have a rack yet, so Z is likely more able to use, if he needs it that quickly. Plus, a 6 month old doesn't allow for that much getting out yet. In theory my rack and brackets will show up at the same time. Appreciate the offer, though! I spoke with Dave about a week before ordering - he figured they'd be backlogged once December came around and I took too long deciding between direct mount or going with a rack & brackets.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

feb 1st shipment from cheetah

Well dang... Such is life, I suppose.

buy some of this

https://www.mcmaster.com/plastics/sl...rs-and-strips/

and find a bandsaw

I've been building my own racks for years out of that stuff
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    buy some of this

https://www.mcmaster.com/plastics/sl...rs-and-strips/

and find a bandsaw

I've been building my own racks for years out of that stuff
    Kid do you just bolt the polyethylene straight to your tunnel/existing rack or do you find you need to reinforce it? I've got a new to me sled this year and a super ghetto rack that I don't want to get hit by when I fall off so am looking to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Kid do you just bolt the polyethylene straight to your tunnel/existing rack or do you find you need to reinforce it? I've got a new to me sled this year and a super ghetto rack that I don't want to get hit by when I fall off so am looking to upgrade.
    UHMW blocks are pretty burly (talking 'blocks' here not the sheets obviously). It's basically the same thing cheeta does, although they use molds instead of cutting from what I can tell. So yeah I just bolt it to my rack. To get some angle on skis hanging off the back I'll drop the front bracket a bit, and if it makes sense I'll put the strap bolt through the tunnel as well.

For the rear I try to mount the blocks in a way that the weight of the skis isn't sitting on just a bolt or to going into the rack. I'll have 'rest' against the tunnel or on top of the curve of the tunnel at the minimum.

Front on an Axys with a carriage bolt on the inside of the tunnel
    Name:  axysfront.jpg
Views: 1477
Size:  358.3 KB

Rear with a split mount over the angle aluminum. The front of this block rests on the tunnel
    Name:  axys_rear.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  355.9 KB

Rear on a proclimb, resting on the tunnel

Name:  catrear.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  394.2 KB

I also put tunnel reinforcing bumpers on my sleds just fyi
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1609646124.618219.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	400.0 KB 
ID:	356045

Went with the cfr rack - I ordered it in September - got it just before Christmas. Worth the wait. I tried all sorts of bodged contraptions but nothing worked for very long.

FYI-based on the position of the skis it looks like u have the brackets installed backwards or the rack backwards if it came preassembled

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    FYI-based on the position of the skis it looks like u have the brackets installed backwards or the rack backwards if it came preassembled
    Thought the same thing - the skis/board should angle similar to the tunnel, though with more rake, when installed correctly. The taller/deeper mount will be at the front of the rack to allow this to happen.

Gawdamn that's a fucking tasty photo though

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post

Name:	Image1609646124.618219.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	400.0 KB 
ID:	356045

Went with the cfr rack - I ordered it in September - got it just before Christmas. Worth the wait. I tried all sorts of bodged contraptions but nothing worked for very long.
    Put your rack on correctly, you're going to break your skis, your rack, or bend your tunnel like that.

I have a CFR rack with two combo ski/board holders. Sold the sled and won’t fit on the snowbike so might as well sell. In excellent shape, located in Whistler, won’t ship. Throwing it up here for the maggots before sticking on Facebook. Looks like this would be $630 +tax, so let’s say $400 complete?

Also have a Superclamp, also in great shape. $170? No pic of that, it’s in my storage locker.

Name:	BB159B64-4FC2-4B53-8E6F-C2CBA98718C7.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	523.3 KB 
ID:	356090

Name:	DDAC4680-AC61-47A8-8D04-AB0C3C302202.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	548.1 KB 
ID:	356091

Sick looking homemade 'Woo. Did you fab the rack also? So many more options for sleds without heat exchangers in the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Sick looking homemade 'Woo. Did you fab the rack also? So many more options for sleds without heat exchangers in the tunnel.
    Yep. Angle aluminum and uhmw strips from mcmaster and cheapo snowboard binding buckles. Long ladder straps to fit boards and skis both. The annoying part is drilling and tapping the rods. You can use camera rig rods just fyi.

My polaris runs a cooler up the sides of the tunnel. But they have little grooves on the top of the tunnel that accept carriage bolts for mounting things (similar to skidoo Linq). The cats are completely empty.

I've said this multiple time in this thread (sorry for the repeats) but I build my own because no one makes a rack that does all three things I want:

1: skis both sides
    2: snowboards both sides
    3 (the important one): one pair of skis mounted with one each against the running boards for getting rowdy

This is the part that neither cheetah nor anyone else does well while also doing the other two well
    Name:  axys_splitpairside.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  378.3 KB

Name:  axys_runningboard.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  341.1 KB

Puts WAY less stress on the tunnel when banging whoops for miles up shitty roads and doesn't hang off the back so you can get to the bumper without a bunch of ski shit in your face or stressing the tunnel/rack when trenching to hell trying to get through some tricky terrain.

This is an older pic, the skis sit just above the tunnel now and barely extend past the bumper now.

Name:	polaris_rack_side.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	726.3 KB 
ID:	356118

I think all told they usually end up costing around 250 bucks US.

That last picture is how we used to do it. We'd actually rivet loops of webbing on the front of the tunnel for the tips then ski tie the tails to the rack. For the rack rods, you can use allthread and something with the same ID as the OD of the allthread like a section of ski pole. My bank account likes that CFR is sold out, I'm not sure there rack would work for my new to me M8000.

These days is seems like skiing is sled to the area and then skin. We usually do the recon and build the roads first. Doubling tends to happen only on powsurf days.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    That last picture is how we used to do it. We'd actually rivet loops of webbing on the front of the tunnel for the tips then ski tie the tails to the rack. For the rack rods, you can use allthread and something with the same ID as the OD of the allthread like a section of ski pole. My bank account likes that CFR is sold out, I'm not sure there rack would work for my new to me M8000.

These days is seems like skiing is sled to the area and then skin. We usually do the recon and build the roads first. Doubling tends to happen only on powsurf days.
    My first sled was a 2004 rev and those toe hooks and running boards seemed made for that shit. I got used to being able to ride like an asshole with skis while others people break skis, bend tunnels, break rack straps with cheetahs with skis flopping around off the back. I'll sometimes slightly modify a toe hook to hold a ski tip better but being able to ride with skis like that is important to me, for the sake of the sled, the skis and everything else.

I'll get a road in or die trying before I skin something that looks double doable That's half the fun!

I still do a lot of skinning off sleds by myself or if we want to ski something where a double just isn't going to happen (or at wilderness boundaries). But I wanted a rack that does all the above well and I still don't know of a ready made setup that does that. And if I'm going to pay what those things cost, it needs to be dialed IMO.

It actually looks like you could do a combo from cheetah now between their rack mounts and tunnel mounts to do the same thing. They actually look a lot like what I built. But I can build a sled specific layout so that's what I do.

As you said, it all depends on the situation. Here is the land of little snow, lots o' tree and generally shitty stability, doubling opportunities are limited. Also, whooped out roads and tunnel racks with skis kill snowmobiles. This one access road by my house gets horrible. It is only about 20mins but brutal. I usually put my skis on by back sideways and giv'r.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    I have a CFR rack with two combo ski/board holders. Sold the sled and won’t fit on the snowbike so might as well sell. In excellent shape, located in Whistler, won’t ship. Throwing it up here for the maggots before sticking on Facebook. Looks like this would be $630 +tax, so let’s say $400 complete?

Also have a Superclamp, also in great shape. $170? No pic of that, it’s in my storage locker.

Name:	BB159B64-4FC2-4B53-8E6F-C2CBA98718C7.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	523.3 KB 
ID:	356090

Name:	DDAC4680-AC61-47A8-8D04-AB0C3C302202.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	548.1 KB 
ID:	356091
    PM sent.

Got the Port Tack Rack mounted up and I’ve been testing it out this week.

Name:	IMG_0899.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	356677

I bought one of their ski attachments and quickly realized I can make another one from a $10 piece of HDPE and some stainless hardware. Reverse engineered, measured, cut and bolted up in about 1/2 hour. Easy.

Their rack:

Name:	IMG_0900.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	257.8 KB 
ID:	356679

YaBoy Brand knockoff:

Name:	IMG_0901.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	356680

I also laid out the tunnel-hugger mount, works fine with these racks:

Name:	IMG_0896.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	356681

Overall, I’m pretty happy with this rack.

Maggot snowmobile thread

nice rack
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.