Page 15 of 167 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    I've been wondering about a seat like that - a lot of the "slednecks" have similar setups; tube frame with a motorcycle seat plopped on top of it, seemed to me like that'd work well.

Seems like it DOES work well. Might have to get on that.

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    I've been wondering about a seat like that - a lot of the "slednecks" have similar setups; tube frame with a motorcycle seat plopped on top of it, seemed to me like that'd work well.

Seems like it DOES work well. Might have to get on that.

Iain
    Even though that pic is of an aftermarket seat,
    they come stock that way on newer sleds so that they can have the gas tank more centered back on the sled to allow it to ride better. (or so I've been told)
    I'm guessing most are doing that mod just to look like a newer sled, even if having your ass higher does have benefits. (like ski storage)

The reason skiers have sleds. Vail North yesterday. Winter is coming.

Last edited by Pow4Brains; 12-14-2009 at 10:48 AM.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Got out for the first time this weekend. CB/Kebler/Irwin area. New snow ranged from 3-6 feet. (no joke). I'd have some picts but all you'd see was white out conditions and the top of a helmet or an awesome hole my sled dug.

Learning to ride the last few days would be akin to teaching somebody to ski on a 60+" day. Except everytime you fell they had to pick you up...and you were a sumo wrestler. (I owe my friends countless beers)

After reading a bunch of previous posts I figured the best thing to do was to leave the skis in the truck...which worked out okay because the guys I am learning from are sled guys only. (when in Rome right?)

That being said, it was VERY hard to do so...when you are struggling on a sled and you see deep snow all around you just want to ditch the sled and grab your skis...(like I said, had I been with skiers I'm sure I would have done just that...so from a "learning" standpoint, I'm glad it worked out this way)

A few thoughts: All the stuff you hear about sledding being hard to learn is true. All the stuff you hear about "giving it more throttle" also true. The more upright your stance and over the front of the sled the easier it is to actually control said sled (for me anyway).

^^^ from another learning sled jong, Amen brudda

Someone wise once told me "eventually, everyone digs." Ain't that the truth!

Learning to ride in 3-6 feet?

Jesus dood. How's your back today?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Yeah...I'm pretty sore.

It was seriously bottomless pow (you could never find a hard layer until you got to the bottom). It would have been all-time skiing it but avi danger was pretty high.

The first day I was pissed. I hated seeing all this snow and feeling sooo out of my element. Especially while my friends were doing pretty well in it. (2 out of 3 of them are also pretty new to sledding...but had experience from when they were younger, the other guy is in sledneck vids and shit)

I'd say the idea of being "okay" on a sled in 5 days is about right. I progressed a ton from day one to day two. I need to learn a bit more throttle control (when to pin it and when to back off) and obviously weighting/unweighting the sled is a big part of it.

To become totally proficient I'd say 10-20 days is more realistic...and I'm only talking for ski access not total slednecking...getting really good on one of these would take quite sometime and a lot of dedication...(as in anything)

Oh, and yes, I was on a 144 track. It did just fine in all that snow (I could have used more power though!). I only say this because I watched my buddy take off in my snow and have zero problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Got out for the first time this weekend. CB/Kebler/Irwin area. New snow ranged from 3-6 feet. (no joke). I'd have some picts but all you'd see was white out conditions and the top of a helmet or an awesome hole my sled dug.

Learning to ride the last few days would be akin to teaching somebody to ski on a 60+" day. Except everytime you fell they had to pick you up...and you were a sumo wrestler. (I owe my friends countless beers)

After reading a bunch of previous posts I figured the best thing to do was to leave the skis in the truck...which worked out okay because the guys I am learning from are sled guys only. (when in Rome right?)

That being said, it was VERY hard to do so...when you are struggling on a sled and you see deep snow all around you just want to ditch the sled and grab your skis...(like I said, had I been with skiers I'm sure I would have done just that...so from a "learning" standpoint, I'm glad it worked out this way)

A few thoughts: All the stuff you hear about sledding being hard to learn is true. All the stuff you hear about "giving it more throttle" also true. The more upright your stance and over the front of the sled the easier it is to actually control said sled (for me anyway).
    I told you that zone would be titties. Glad you got out and got some driving time in. A day of sledding is definitely harder than a day of skinning. I was worked after riding Friday and Saturday. It's not an aerobic exercise like skinning, but a lot of anaerobic and isometric work, especially in deep snow or when you get stuck. Keep taking the sled out while ski conditions are still somewhat poor. Practice, practice, practice, and don't get lazy on that thing. Don't let the machine own you, you gotta own it. Weight distribution and speed are key in deep pow. Don't spike your throttle or else you are fucked. Riding deep pow in an open meadow is somewhat easy, good for practicing. Deep pow on a narrow trail or uphill through dense trees is a workout and a skill. Just like skiing trees you gotta keep your eyes 20'+ in front of you to prepare for the next turn. Don't let off that throttle either.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife View Post
    I think you'd be happy with that over a T-sled skid, the t-sled is a bit weak, and most stock skids can get close to the t-sled with a comparable amount of jumk pulled from them.

The best cheap skid you will find that comes close to the T-sled in weight is the 08 & newer cat skid, you can buy it as a kit for a reasonable price & it comes with a float in the rear.
    I guess I'll know soon enough. Shop weighed my stock skid vs the XRS skid and I'm only saving 11 pounds ( 20 will be saved total since I'm also getting TS drop brackets) but I decided to still give it a try. It's way cheaper than a TS and I'm not really paying any more in labor since I was planning on changing the track anyways.

Some good riding tips and stoke here: http://www.sledshot.com/tech_tips.php

Samples.

`•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Yeah...I'm pretty sore.

It was seriously bottomless pow (you could never find a hard layer until you got to the bottom). It would have been all-time skiing it but avi danger was pretty high.

The first day I was pissed. I hated seeing all this snow and feeling sooo out of my element. Especially while my friends were doing pretty well in it. (2 out of 3 of them are also pretty new to sledding...but had experience from when they were younger, the other guy is in sledneck vids and shit)

I'd say the idea of being "okay" on a sled in 5 days is about right. I progressed a ton from day one to day two. I need to learn a bit more throttle control (when to pin it and when to back off) and obviously weighting/unweighting the sled is a big part of it.

To become totally proficient I'd say 10-20 days is more realistic...and I'm only talking for ski access not total slednecking...getting really good on one of these would take quite sometime and a lot of dedication...(as in anything)

Oh, and yes, I was on a 144 track. It did just fine in all that snow (I could have used more power though!). I only say this because I watched my buddy take off in my snow and have zero problems.
    "When in doubt, throttle out" love it.

I more than anyone need to take that advise. Glad you had fun J. You probably picked the worst weekend of the year to learn, it fucking puked here. Didn't even lift today really. Wait till you're back here in a month when you're putting around meadows in 2 feet of blower on the way to ski blower even deeper.
    Drive slow, homie.

Agreed.

Those vids were really helpful btw!!!

I may be back early Jan...or sooner. I just realized I can drive from GJ to Paonia in about an hour fifteen. Add another fifteen to get to the bottom of Kebler and I can ride into Crested Butte from there...it's for sure faster than going all the way around. SICK!!!

hey Co sled maggots..

I'm going to have a few of these in a week,

The new Motomikey's expandable decks, with the expandable decks we have got a way to ship them in which saves a bunch of money off the bottom line.

The new decks are SICK!!!! Expandable sides, telescoping ramp (11' ramp), extruded sides, and still the ability to get the in & out of a truck by yourself easily. These are over $1000 less than the other comparable decks out there.

I will no longer be selling the fixed side beaver & bob tail decks, as the width makes them much more expensive to ship.

Pricing depends on shipping & how much BS I have to go through to get it to you!!!
    I'm all for giving folks a good deal if they can help me somehow, so let me know!

JV, you want to upgrade ??? :P

btw, I'm not some big dealer, just a dude that got a deck & loved it, and wants to get as many trailers off the road as possible!!!

Can I put one in the back of my Nissan Frontier? (for only one sled)

It looks sick.

I absolutely love the Dragon. It is by far the easiest sled I have ever ridden. It turns on a dime and has amazing suspension. I've ridden new skidoos and AC snopros and think the Polaris handles the best in powder. On the trail may be a different story. The Polaris likes to dart on the trail even with the sway bars. To each their own though. I don't want this to turn into a brand loyalty argument. The 700, 155" track is a great sled but I wouldn't mind having more power.

45, as a cat rider who loves the M series, I've got to say that anybody that disagrees with the dragon KILLING it as far as handling goes, is just jealous!!!!

Want more power... get a turbo! The 700 is a great machine that will last forever, good purchase!!

oh yeah, we're talking sleds... polaris sucks, cat is the only one to buy...

btw JJ, they only fit a full size. (and they're for two sleds only)

It wouldn't be tough to get a guy to weld you up something similar for your truck for one sled, it would be like having a toneau (sp?) cover that can hold a sled on top.

If you're around CO, I know a guy who has made quite a few sled decks himself, he could help you for cheap I bet.

Felt so good to get out on a machine today and get some nice untracked skiing in.

It's like this

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And my powder sledding skills are still like this

SSSUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

today was horrible.

Damn. BC is friggin' ridiculous. I gotta get up there someday. I guess you can only ride that area on days when there's no chance of clouds coming in though, eh? You'd go blind pretty quick up there.

I put a unicorn sticker on my sled today. That's gotta be good for like 25 magic fairy horsepower. Put a goat and a TGR sticker on too. I'm pretty much guaranteed not to get stuck the rest of the year i think.

I might take the sled up tomorrow and try to ski a little, but it probably won't be pretty. It was like 45 degrees up there today and may be raining right now. May just stay home and wrench on my hippy van.

Quote Originally Posted by TroySmith80 View Post
    Damn. BC is friggin' ridiculous. I gotta get up there someday. I guess you can only ride that area on days when there's no chance of clouds coming in though, eh? You'd go blind pretty quick up there.

I put a unicorn sticker on my sled today. That's gotta be good for like 25 magic fairy horsepower. Put a goat and a TGR sticker on too. I'm pretty much guaranteed not to get stuck the rest of the year i think.

I might take the sled up tomorrow and try to ski a little, but it probably won't be pretty. It was like 45 degrees up there today and may be raining right now. May just stay home and wrench on my hippy van.
    I posted more on my blog about the day, since so much of the feedback on here is all "skidoo sucks, you're such a poser etc" and doesn't really contribute or start intelligent or relevant discussion, but yeah, it's a pretty sick area, but you'd need a guide if you're not from here and blue skies. It's dangerous enough in the best of conditions if you don't know the area.

I love taking people up there, it blows their minds. Photos never do justice to the sheer scale and size of it all. It has to be one of my favorite places on earth to be.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife View Post
    hey Co sled maggots..

I'm going to have a few of these in a week,

The new Motomikey's expandable decks, with the expandable decks we have got a way to ship them in which saves a bunch of money off the bottom line.

The new decks are SICK!!!! Expandable sides, telescoping ramp (11' ramp), extruded sides, and still the ability to get the in & out of a truck by yourself easily. These are over $1000 less than the other comparable decks out there.

I will no longer be selling the fixed side beaver & bob tail decks, as the width makes them much more expensive to ship.

Pricing depends on shipping & how much BS I have to go through to get it to you!!!
    I'm all for giving folks a good deal if they can help me somehow, so let me know!

JV, you want to upgrade ??? :P

btw, I'm not some big dealer, just a dude that got a deck & loved it, and wants to get as many trailers off the road as possible!!!

The one you sold me is working just fine. I ended up using the brackets to bolt it to the bed and then used the cross straps as well. She is in there solid as a rock. It rides just fine on a 2500 longbed chevy. I have taken it on trips to wolfer, Cb, and monarch with 2 m1000's on it and the sled bed handled the load just fine. Headin to the gwood / aspen area at 11 today... I did just pay off that truck and will get a new dodge either this spring or next fall and I will call you to get the updated version then...

Unless we have a ton of friends along I will leave the 4 place at home most days this season.. I will get a pic of my new set up and post it.

Did I mention how easy it is to travel with sleds when you get a sled bed??

Nads I am kinda a smart azz and was just kiddin about the skidoo stuff. With the crap or total bull shit that cat is pulling this year there is a real chance that I will be on a skidooer or poo next year after ridin cats since 98'.. You were also right about brant he jumped the cat ship earlier this year and took his commercial op with him.. So I guess I have to eat a bit of crow..

Kaleb thanks again for the sled bed and for any of you colo mags lookin to get into the sled thing give up the trailer and give kaleb a call...

I'm so pumped to add myself to the blown skidoo club! The 06' just rolled a 1000 miles and the crank sheared off taking the top with it. Funny thing was that I was pulled out by the 2 07's (doo's) that both had more miles and have been great. The tow out was nice and sporty, still an entertaining day! I got the call that I'm looking at a new short block and couple g's to get it back on the snow. But, even with this bad luck I'll be back on my doo and ride the shit out of it. I still love the way it rides and am still convinced that ALL sleds are pieces of shit if you ride them at all. It's a glorified lawn mower engine for fucks sakes. Now flame away Doo haters!

Thanks for the stoke Gonads! It brought some happiness into my now sledless world.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    I'm so pumped to add myself to the blown skidoo club! The 06' just rolled a 1000 miles and the crank sheared off taking the top with it. Funny thing was that I was pulled out by the 2 07's (doo's) that both had more miles and have been great. The tow out was nice and sporty, still an entertaining day! I got the call that I'm looking at a new short block and couple g's to get it back on the snow. But, even with this bad luck I'll be back on my doo and ride the shit out of it. I still love the way it rides and am still convinced that ALL sleds are pieces of shit if you ride them at all. It's a glorified lawn mower engine for fucks sakes. Now flame away Doo haters!

Thanks for the stoke Gonads! It brought some happiness into my now sledless world.
    Yo vibes, mayne.

Nobody in this long ass thread has really said that ski-doos suck to ride,
    They're just tired of them grenading.

If you want to keep dumping money in a sled cuz you think it looks cooler or your friends say they're the "bomb diggity", so be it.

None of these PSA's are coming from ski-poo representatives.....they're just coming from, IMO, the most experienced riders here saying the shit 'nades all the time. It's not a rumor, it's pretty common knowledge.....why you guys call it hating, I don't know. It's fact.

Why people keep buying a brand that is known to be a pos and nade all the time still blows my mind.......

Rider skill and familiarity with your machine is more important than anything else.

Thumbs up seeing if i remember how to post pics...

some post-ski roostin....

dside

T-Main

Drive slow, homie.