Page 57 of 167 FirstFirst ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 4154
    Check out this sweet ole ride from Johnny Foons blog

http://www.foonskis.com/the-philosophy-of-one-school/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meager-Plinth-copy.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	638.2 KB 
ID:	149158  

Foon is one of the most humble, under rated mountain mad men you will never meet. Dude is a ninja.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Pehota says he drove a Tundra up the S chute 20 yrs ago... but it was considered a pretty big feat back then. Now its just another blip in the daily commute because modern technology has evolved and we now have big powerful mtn sleds! Using a tool for its intended purpose is common sense, but there's one in every crowd, so to speak.

I believe it! Pehota is a total badass. It was probably late in the spring when it was the lowest angle of approach and hero climbing snow.. on a super deep pow day early season it probably wouldn't happen, and most definitely not with 2 people (like so many on the board do, double people up for riding etc)

I've sledded in Colorado and it is a completely different ballgame from here in Whistler/BC. If you're driving up flat roads and skinning and skiing low angle pow I'm sure a utility sled will do the trick. Or if its not super deep snow or fresh. We have to do a lot of climbs for access and break trail in for setting your routes for skiing/boarding lines. That being said I've seen some people do amazing things on older, shorter machines but that is 100% rider ability.

There are lots of screaming deals on decent 2nd hand sleds, my buddy is selling his 2008 Summit 800 154 with 6500 km and 1500km of those are with a new engine, RSI bars, new shocks, upgraded skis, etc for $4000 OBO.

Having helped a ton of people get into the sport and into their first machines, avoiding a ticking time bomb with an engine that is about to grenade is key. All sleds will blow around 5000-6000km, just a matter of time.

Do you want something just to go up flat groomed trails? Or do you want something that will give you room to grow (and not be that person getting stuck all the time that nobody wants to ride with because they struggle to get around) That being said, extremely talented riders with experience can get around with anything. Not saying that's me, but I made a 137" with a 2.75 track get around 95% of the places I wanted to get. I'm now on a 154" and it's so much easier for doing what I want to do (save for jumping, the 137" was preferable.)

As for brands, any will do, except for Yamaha. Digging out 700lb+ machines suck - plain and simple. The guys that try to lighten them up have nothing but mechanical problems and I've towed so many of them out over the years.

More than happy to answer questions, but it really depends on what you want to do with your machine, where you ride, who you want to ride with, your budget and your experience with wrenching and if you have your own tools or not.

py ending to an amazing day of skiing. Super tired and I suck at sledding sometimes.

www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

quick thinking burying it! Coulda been a lot worse....how's your...face/chest/whatever interacted with the tree?

Iain

I didn't hit the throttle. The tree that clotheslined me did luckily. Every thing is fine except my hammy and ass, I managed to get my hands up on the tree. Not sure if the ski rack hit it as I got shot off the sled or if it got hit by the track when the throttle went. I got lucky... sort of. It was a long sled back to the truck with a bum leg.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

But you succeeded at the most important part: if you're gonna fuck up, at least get it on video.

Parting out an 05 M7 if anyone needs anything.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    py ending to an amazing day of skiing. Super tired and I suck at sledding sometimes.

Hahaha... Awesome! At least you saved it from rolling to the bottom!

I did something similar on a climb the other day, sans tree. Breaking trail up a steep off camber climb to a ridge line. Almost at the top of the ridge and hit a deep pocket of rotten wind deposit snow, so I throttled down hard, but then I hit the wind slab crust at the ridge line with it pinned and got bucked off my sled backwards. Momentum carried sled forward a little, but then she started the back wards slide into eventual roll into trees below. As it was going by, I managed to grab throttle and bury the track in the wind deposit before it rolled back down the climb and into a bunch of trees. Could have gone horribly wrong grabbing the throttle like that, but it was the best feeling of stuck ever!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

facking trees! good save

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Skiing View Post
    Parting out an 05 M7 if anyone needs anything.
    PM'd you. Selling the hood?
    go upside down.

Picking up my new (used) sled tomorrow.

Giving my '96 580 bought last year to my bro Eldereldo. I've nicknamed it "the gateway drug."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1391230198.861570.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	149673

nice! and yes I agree it's addicting
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Picking up my new (used) sled tomorrow.

Giving my '96 580 bought last year to my bro Eldereldo. I've nicknamed it "the gateway drug."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1391230198.861570.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	149673

so Eldo ...

where's the pic's of new ride ???
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    so Eldo ...

where's the pic's of new ride ???
    New ride looks just like photo I posted above, but with some scrapes and scratches.

Wickedly powerful, but surprisingly well behaved at lower RPMs due to the torque.

Still got lots to learn, so being respectful in the meantime.

Tahoe finally got enough snow this season to break out the toys,

and for Dhelihiker to practices his levitation skills.

blew up my new sleds motor ...

crankshaft bearing we think ...

stuck in a back bowl ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Damn.

Gerome and dheli: you guys get in touch whenever you need to get that out of your system. Those things have been better to me than skiing the last two years

Bummer shadam. You're on a rev right? At least parts are easy to come by in your neck of the woods.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    How did this one end?

If it were ME on the sled, it would be the beginnings of a lawn-dart.

Glad you guys got snow!

Iain

uh oh..... that's going to be an adventure or expensive to get out. either way shitty deal.

stuck in a back bowl ...

stuck in a back bowl ...
    RT1k?

ugh.

BUYING A SKI-DOO IS LIKE BUYING A SMALL ENGINE MECHANICAL DEGREE.
    Hey d-bag - here's something for you to think about: maybe (just maybe) not everybody here has their little panties in a wad 24/7 and flies into a rage whenever somebody disagrees with them. Maybe these same mags don't take this place uber-seriously. Maybe this even includes the vast majority of the people who post here as opposed to you and like 20 other thin-skinned douchebags. Just something to think about. -JER

stuck in a back bowl ...
    Shit, that sucks. Time to haul in a replacement engine and do some field wrenching.

What sled did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Shit, that sucks. Time to haul in a replacement engine and do some field wrenching.

What sled did you get?
    TAKE A GUESS, DOPEY.
    Hey d-bag - here's something for you to think about: maybe (just maybe) not everybody here has their little panties in a wad 24/7 and flies into a rage whenever somebody disagrees with them. Maybe these same mags don't take this place uber-seriously. Maybe this even includes the vast majority of the people who post here as opposed to you and like 20 other thin-skinned douchebags. Just something to think about. -JER

Quote Originally Posted by JONG SLAUGHTER View Post
    BUYING A SKI-DOO IS LIKE BUYING A SMALL ENGINE MECHANICAL DEGREE.
    Okay, now I know it's brett
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp