Page 153 of 167 FirstFirst ... 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,825 of 4154
    Jong Q but searching didn't bring up much.

Do most people repurpose their moto helmets for sledding or actually use an activity specific one (like a snocross helmet)?

DOT moto helmet. I've used breath boxes a handful of times but would rather use my Nekker and a standard buff. Last year I bought electric defog goggles (Abom) and they kick ass.

Trail riding is better than no ridingName:  20221119_111154-01.jpeg
Views: 702
Size:  69.6 KB
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Trail riding is better than no ridingName:  20221119_111154-01.jpeg
Views: 702
Size:  69.6 KB
    I'd brap

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Anyone else see the pictures of the Buffalo Bills stadium covered in 77in of snow and want to rip around the field? That looked SO much fun

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    About 2 years ago I acquired an AC 1M 570 that needed a bit of work from a fellow maggot. Just so happens one of my current neighbors was an AC mechanic for like 20 years. He replaced the rear tunnel, fixed transmission, and a couple other tune up items. It’s mint:

Attachment 432618

Attachment 432619

While I was over there chatting he offered to sell it back to me for $1700. He also mentioned he’s got a 2004 AC 1M 900 that is his wife’s sled. Said it’s too much power for her and she wants a smaller sled, and she’s going to downsize. He said it’s pretty tricked out and only has a hair over 1000 miles on it. He wants $3500 for it.

Attachment 432620

I’m continuing to do some research, since I really don’t know shit about what vintages of sleds hold their value. My neighbor said both sleds have pretty bomber engines, and he’d make me a deal if I bought both. Does that sound like a decent proposition? I’m really interested in that 900 to expand bc options.

ETA: I like the idea of having the 570 as an option for my GF or visiting friends/family. Which would make bundling the two a more attractive option.
    Hell yeah that’s my old sled, looking awesome! She’s a Teton veteran.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0731.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	435324

I’m working through a few details the seller didn’t mention, but over all very stoked to get stuck further from help this year! Ski racks on, scratchers on, snow flap on, tools sorted, tow rope and innertube stowed. Just got to tune up the front end and get the grip heaters working. 2016 RMK 800 axys 163, upgrade from a ‘09 rmk 700. 80 lbs lighter! Freshly rebuilt top end, a little rough but that’ll keep me from feeling bad when i ride it like a punter.

Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post

Name:	IMG_0731.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	435324

I’m working through a few details the seller didn’t mention, but over all very stoked to get stuck further from help this year! Ski racks on, scratchers on, snow flap on, tools sorted, tow rope and innertube stowed. Just got to tune up the front end and get the grip heaters working. 2016 RMK 800 axys 163, upgrade from a ‘09 rmk 700. 80 lbs lighter! Freshly rebuilt top end, a little rough but that’ll keep me from feeling bad when i ride it like a punter.

Nice score

This is what the sled is supposed to look like as riding season approaches, right? Upgraded the a-arm bushings from the nylon stock to brass oil-less bushings, which took the slop out and now steering is a bit tight so now steering column is coming out to replace those bushing sleeves and vibration isolators and to grease all of that up. Damn kids keep getting sick and prevent me from getting it done - it's like they don't care if I sled at all this year!

Name:	68270161640__107A567B-8395-4797-B830-6784B65AC002.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	618.9 KB 
ID:	435333

Name:	68975370105__92E7AE83-3906-40F0-B933-D81D0767519C.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	694.3 KB 
ID:	435334

This kid's sled is running great so he doesn't seem to mind either way about my machine (he mainly likes to hit mine with ratchets and crescent wrenches, whichever I don't have in my hand when I get a moment to work on it).

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	633.3 KB 
ID:	435335
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I'm putting brass bushings in my front end this weekend as well. Nice upgrade. If your steering feels sloppy after you installed them, it may sloppy ball joints in the skis as opposed to loose steering post bushings. Have somebody hold the bars in place while you wiggle the skis. You should be able to easily identify the cause.

Just put on new skis(wore the old ones out on gravel last june) ski bushings inside the spindles and new ski rubbers. Ready to rock'n'roll

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    I'm putting brass bushings in my front end this weekend as well. Nice upgrade. If your steering feels sloppy after you installed them, it may sloppy ball joints in the skis as opposed to loose steering post bushings. Have somebody hold the bars in place while you wiggle the skis. You should be able to easily identify the cause.
    Nah, wound up having a rubbing feeling after installing the bushings. There was no grease left for the rubber vibration isolators and one of them was looking torn. I'm on a 2016, so old by a lot of guys' standards but I'd definitely consider it a wear item to grease every season or 2. Replaced the rubber isolators and the bushing sleeves top and bottom and it's smooth as butter now. Unfortunately I managed to snap one of the top M6 bolts (didn't even hit the 160 inch lbs of torque, so must have been weakened... not that I ever roll the sled or yank on the bars to roll it), Sadly, no one has a bolt locally and they won't be in until next week so it will sit open until then I guess. Ball joints are good and I just installed Munster ski bushing savers so hoping for a nice tight feel to the steering this season! On the bright side there is no snow here so I'm not missing anything.

New one on top of the old one. Some wear for sure.

Name:	IMG_2304.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	348.9 KB 
ID:	435404
    Why must we remove so much to get at this.

Name:	IMG_2303.jpg 
Size:	525.3 KB 
ID:	435401
    Back in.

Name:	69105426700__3D0505CB-F7EF-4623-A3CC-31720E14ECDB.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	708.4 KB 
ID:	435402

Name:	IMG_2306.jpg 
Size:	526.4 KB 
ID:	435403
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Can anyone confirm this torque value? 2016 summit x. I got a standard hex head bolt and nut to go on as a temp fix and torquing it stripped the threads out of the nut. I'm told the torque seems high for such a small bolt (M6x1.0x70) which in retrospect is probably true. Any input?

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	514.5 KB 
ID:	435465

Name:	IMG_2316.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	553.7 KB 
ID:	435466
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	74 
Size:	482.6 KB 
ID:	435464  

The manual for my '17 says 12.5Nm.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Can anyone confirm this torque value? 2016 summit x. I got a standard hex head bolt and nut to go on as a temp fix and torquing it stripped the threads out of the nut. I'm told the torque seems high for such a small bolt (M6x1.0x70) which in retrospect is probably true. Any input?

Views:	95 
Size:	514.5 KB 
ID:	435465

Name:	IMG_2316.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	553.7 KB 
ID:	435466
    Depending on bolt grade m6 should be 12-18nm.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

159 "lbf*in" is "inch pounds." 18nm = 13.xx foot pounds. 159/12 = 13.25.

13.25 foot pounds seems reasonable. 159 foot pounds, well, not so reasonable for a 6mm bolt.

I'm considering getting a snowmobile for access to more locations to skin/ski from. Mostly in WA, and would mostly be on roads that are closed in the winter to cars but open to snowmobiles. My buddy has two 600 two strokes, which I've ridden, and I'd mostly be with him and friends with my new sled. We do not much care for using the sleds for powder jumping, high marking and what not, and prefer to use them only for access to skinning and skiing. Would like it to hold two people and skis/gear.

I'm considering getting a Ski Doo Grand Touring 600 ACE (4 stroke) for it's two seats, the promise of quieter operation, less smoke, and less maintenance/engine rebuilding (?).

Would the Ski Doo Grand Touring 600 ACE (4 stroke) be a mistake i.e. likely be a problem for me on roads not groomed with unknown amounts of soft snow?

Thanks for any insight and opinions anyone might provide to confirm or dissuade the 4-stroke direction.

I don't know your terrain or snow conditions... I usually recommend a mountain sled rather than a big 4 stroke for any ungroomed at all, but if you're building a good track with two other sleds first then the big 4 stroke might work out. It will really suck when you inevitably get it stuck though.
    Best thing you can do is to talk to folks in your specific region that have ridden touring sleds around there.

I had a Yamaha 4 stroke a bunch of years ago as a new rider and it was not a great experience. Sled was super heavy and made the already challenging task of turning even moreso. It rode 2up and towed very well on the groomed. A modern 2 stroke does just fine in those areas also but it's a heck of a lot easier to maneuver and infinitely more fun to hoon around on should you wish to do a teensy bit of power riding while the rest of the crew eats lunch. If you haven't experienced virtually endless face shots while accelerating hard uphill then please don't write off sledding for pleasure just yet cuz that shit is pretty decent too...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Maggot snowmobile thread

As a single (extra) datapoint, I always put the skis on my old little 11yo 600 summit. The skis come off about half the time. Despite the low tide this fall/early winter, I loaded her up ‘early’ cause she shares storage with the summer watercraft and it was time for the canoe to get prepped for winter. She does have an extended seat for two, but that is only used rarely (wife’s nurse schedule aligns with mine far too rarely). But she can do the job if needed, and pulls a skimmer without a second thought. And if the conditions suck for skis, she provides face shots aplenty in the meadows. Stored and maintained at minimum, she roars to life each season loading her onto the taco. I dream of getting a newer 850 model often, but lack storage space for two sleds (wife would inherit the 600). Go mtn sled all the way for ski assist; go for true workhorse 4-stroke duty only if needed.

My two cents.

Touring sled for ungroomed seems like a gamble. Especially in WA where your storms are sometimes measured in feet.

They're totally awesome for groomed access, especially in lower snow areas (like CO). 8" on previously beat in singletrack isn't bad on a touring sled. Big windshields, multi passenger seats and quiet engines rule. They're less capable and heavier than the mountain sleds so the penalty for making errors (plopped off the trail tuning around, dead end, etc) is much greater. It's snowmobiling so you will make errors.

2nd what adrenalated said. Figure out how other people in your area are doing, but I'd go mtn sled and add a 2up seat.

Just as an anecdote, I was driving the ski club sled at work a couple of days after I'd been out on my M8. Tried to turn around after dropping some B-net off, misjudged the turning radius versus edge of groomed ski trail math, and promptly got properly stuck.

Had the local college team not been on their way down from training at that point, I might've still been there the next day trying to get unstuck. The difference between getting an M8 going again and the work sled (which was a two-up touring rig of some sort) blew my mind, especially since my first thought was, "oh, I just need to lift up and slide over the ass end and I'll be good." It didn't exactly work out that way.

Sent using TGR Forums mobile app

Touring sleds are great...except when they are not. Reluctant snowmobile users don't use their snowmobiles. Said a different way, its a bit of a motorhead's game. You really need to like the smell and the noise. It's called "Hatin' Nature" for a reason. You will get stuck. Shit will break.

I'm not promoting some coal rollin' lifestyle, just trying to paint a accurate picture. You're probably not gonna want to wear your snowmobile outfit to the Greenpeace Fundraiser.

Anyone have those wheels that attach to your skis so you can drive around without scarthching up concrete?

I have ski slippers, but they fit poorly. Ideally I could load my sled into the truck (up the ramp), then unload it all with the wheels attached
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.