Page 127 of 167 FirstFirst ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 4154
    Quote Originally Posted by kicool View Post
    Been lurking this thread for a while. Seems like the consensus is to buy as new as possible, with warranty, makes sense to me.

I have finally saved up enough money for a 2018-2020 model because I want that 2 year warranty. Going to get an 850 with 16x length track. It will be used for sled skiing on the hurly and other places near Pemberton/whistler.
    The question now is 2019 Polaris Pro-RMK 850 (first gen 850 makes me nervous) or 2018/2019 Skidoo Summit X 850 (seems like the right choice)? It needs to tandem well and be reliable, and a decent resale value would be nice.
    17 skidoo is fine with updates
    18,19 skidoo has been updated

Xm is a good reliable ride too at an outstanding price point. There is a few around with 1-2k km’s. These sleds are know. To get 4-5K out of them easily. Also better for tandem if ur just learning. Gen 4’s are squirrelly for tandeming.

Remember that once you stick two guys with all their gear on a sled you could be adding over 400lbs to the sled, so you should also consider whether you can easily stiffen up the suspension to compensate. So if you have spring shocks you have to adjust the preload, and you might run out of range, if you have air shocks you can probably up the pressure enough to help. Some of this doesn’t matter if everyone has their own sled so you aren’t doubling in, or you are riding groomed trails to the goods. But doubling 20kM on a whooped out trail will start breaking things if you can’t firm the suspension up enough to keep from bottoming out all the time. Ymmv based on your weight and where and how slow you are willing to ride. When I doubled with my wife I didn’t have to touch anything, with my buddy who weighs 200lbs needed to air up the shocks and turn them to firm or we were hitting the bump stops.

Thanks for the info. Ill keep my eyes peeled for one with <2000kms. The good Xm is the 2016 summit x? Heard the 2015s are not worth buying...

I have driven the 2017 850 ski doo, its very squirrelly and almost scary on logging roads, quarter pin and your flying!
    Never driven the Xm.

Good to know. My buddies will have their own machines for the most part. Are you referring to the whoops on the hurley, they are a pain.

Will I need to upgrade the shocks on a 2016-2019 summit x?

Good to know. My buddies will have their own machines for the most part. Are you referring to the whoops on the hurley, they are a pain.

I’m 210 with out gear and have the stock shocks. At setting 1 my sled felt like crap, I turned to to setting 4 (out of 5) and left it there all winter. Riding by my self it felt great, double or tripping we would bottom out in big woops, so we just went slow and it was fine. Ive ridden nice Fox air shocks and I don’t think it would be worth it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for the info. Ill keep my eyes peeled for one with <2000kms. The good Xm is the 2016 summit x? Heard the 2015s are not worth buying...

I have driven the 2017 850 ski doo, its very squirrelly and almost scary on logging roads, quarter pin and your flying!
    Never driven the Xm.
    All XM’s r good. 11-17.Wouldn’t be to concerned about year over KM.

Shock wise- rear spring is an easy cheap mod that helps. For front end I wouldn’t worry about it. If ur 160-180lbs don’t worry about it. Lots o guys riding r 200lbs plus! If u got the cash +\-$1500 Yes u will notice a difference with higher end fronts...

Don’t ride miller’s and u probably won’t be to worried about the woopage....

Any x model u buy has better shocks then the sp model or in season year sled. X’s r spring orders that get some better parts.

I only ride the Hurley early in the year, but there are a lot of other places around that get real whooped out later on when we have the the usual couple of weeks with no snow. Hell only takes a few hours on a weekend for Brandywine to go from groomed smoothness to teeth rattling.

Never driven the Xm.
    You are off a few years. 2015 and 2016 are nearly identical and the best XM years. 2017 is Gen4

Nothing wrong with SP models. X shocks are definitely nicer but they aren't freeride or aftermarket hotness. They are all wear items anyway so cheaper is better IMO

Thanks again for the tips.

Have found 3 2016 summit x 163s with about 3000km on em.
    Sellers are asking 6.5k-7.5k CAD $ for em. Worth it?

How much would a blown XM 800 engine typically replacement cost?

I am 200lbs naked. So will probably want the x shocks or an upgraded set.

15k plus the trailer. You'll be the best friend for miles.

I'm a kilonewton when gravity starts to take over. The stock suspension will serve you fine unless you are climbing big lines or hucking air.

Thanks again for the tips.

How much would a blown XM 800 engine typically replacement cost?

I am 200lbs naked. So will probably want the x shocks or an upgraded set.
    U typically blow the top end. Xm top end is Approx $2800cdn Fixed

Edit: Sled is sold. So my AC is for sale after all. 2018 162” Mountain Cat. $8750.00. Just over 1400km, excellent shape, one noticeable scratch ,mostly in the decal, track has no damage, warranty serviced every fall. Warranty is done in November although it can be extended. I wouldn’t bother, Kijiji link https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/c...rce=ios_social

Have a CFR rack With two ski/snowboard holders that I would make a deal on if you are buying the sled. Located in Calgary right now, but will have it in Whistler from Sept 26 yo middle of October if it doesn’t sell here first.
    Last edited by eldereldo; 09-19-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    So my AC is for sale after all. 2018 162” Mountain Cat. $8750.00. Just over 1400km, excellent shape, one noticeable scratch ,mostly in the decal, track has no damage, warranty serviced every fall. Warranty is done in November although it can be extended. I wouldn’t bother, Kijiji link https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/c...rce=ios_social

Have a CFR rack With two ski/snowboard holders that I would make a deal on if you are buying the sled. Located in Calgary right now, but will have it in Whistler from Sept 26 yo middle of October if it doesn’t sell here first.
    On sent regarding the rack.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

What are people’s thoughts on track length? 174 seems too long for what’s needed in most situations. Never been on the 16x lengths but the 15x seems to be fine for most situations...

"...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    What are people’s thoughts on track length? 174 seems too long for what’s needed in most situations. Never been on the 16x lengths but the 15x seems to be fine for most situations...

Coast alpine=175

Boondocking subalpine interior trees=165

Just picked up a barely used 18- ski doo freeride 165-3

Pumped- perfect unit for interior/coast, breaking trail, alpine assents and boondocking. Great suspension for rough in’s n outs and taking air!!

Just over 1400km,
    Slacker
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Slacker
    First year 1000km, in Whistier. Second year 400 km in Kimberley, third year, one ride, back to Whistier, but on the snowbike.

I have a 175, I probably should of gotten a 165, but tbh I don’t really notice it the difference between my sled and friends 165s. I do notice a huge difference when I get on a 154. Next sled I get I’ll probably get a 165, but I’m really happy and don’t regret having the long track.

If you are seriously buying a sled just to ski, then go as long as possible, the more float the better for doubling. If you want to also sled, then 165x, if you think you might end up a full on boondocking, tight tree riding sled head, then 15x, although you might want to start on a 16x and then go shorter once you have a bunch more experience.

YEEEOOOO.
    Bought a 2018 summit x 175 850 with 2200kms with 1 year warranty from a local dealer.
    Stoked to get after it. Learning with a buddy who just bought a 2019 polaris pro-rmk 850 16x.
    Any one else who wants to get digging this winter in the whistler area your welcome to join!

If you are seriously buying a sled just to ski, then go as long as possible, the more float the better for doubling. If you want to also sled, then 165x, if you think you might end up a full on boondocking, tight tree riding sled head, then 15x, although you might want to start on a 16x and then go shorter once you have a bunch more experience.
    Personally I won't go back to anything shorter than a 175. The ability to putt around when terrain gets technical is way superior, shorter sleds need to be ridden more aggressively to go where the 175 does.
    This is what happens when a 163 tries to follow a 175 trench....

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

YEEEOOOO.
    Bought a 2018 summit x 175 850 with 2200kms with 1 year warranty from a local dealer.
    Stoked to get after it. Learning with a buddy who just bought a 2019 polaris pro-rmk 850 16x.
    Any one else who wants to get digging this winter in the whistler area your welcome to join!
    I’ll be in Whistler this winter, my riding buddy moved to Smithers in the summer so need new people to ride with, only thing is, I’ll be on a snowbike so won’t be skiing except for using it for access then skinning. But happy to get out and ride.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Personally I won't go back to anything shorter than a 175. The ability to putt around when terrain gets technical is way superior, shorter sleds need to be ridden more aggressively to go where the 175 does.
    This is what happens when a 163 tries to follow a 175 trench....

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    It’s fine, just have to have the 175 go up and down a couple,of times to get a nice highway setup. You only need one 175 in the group.