Page 22 of 167 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alta825 View Post
    Quickie tech question for you guys...
    I have been getting a ton of wandering/darting at moderate speeds on the new sled, so much that it's downright sketchy at times on moderately packed/groomed trails.

I checked ski alignment and it's w/in spec, skis/skags in great shape. Question is - I am going to play around w/ the limiter strap settings and would I need to increase or decrease the front end pressure? FYI on a 08 RMK w/ the 155 track

TIA
    Are you toed out a tad?

Not positive that I'm textbook, but the lighter the skis the less darty/grabby they feel to me. One thing to try, add a few twists of preload to your front skid shock. Also, if when sitting on flat ground, your limiter is tight, loosen it a notch or two.

Finally caved and bought a sled, first day out.

'07 m1000 162, realize it's way more than I should have gotten for my first sled, but it's pretty fun.
    Go Sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffballs View Post
    Finally caved and bought a sled, first day out.

'07 m1000 162, realize it's way more than I should have gotten for my first sled, but it's pretty fun.
    Sick, can't wait to ride tomorrow.

Just finished putting on some new grip heaters, grips, and a new longer snow deflector for the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffballs View Post
    it's way more than I should have gotten for my first sled, but it's pretty fun.
    NO such thing!!!

The only problem with getting a big boy sled first, is you'll never be happy with an 800 or anything else again.

any thoughts on the 2005 Arctic cat m7. A guy I know is looking to unload one. is it powerful enough to turn a 162" track and/or tandem.

Question:

So it seems my rev has a weird "problem".

When compared to other sleds it is obvious the amount of muscle you need to simply turn the bars side to side is pretty intense. While I'm all for doing curls, drinking muscle milk and doing jager bombs, I'm wondering what is causing this...

I am running simmons skis and my carbides look good. It feels like there is an immense amount of drag or weight on the skis compared to others....

Discuss.

Easy fix. You need a new fucking haircut.
    Drive slow, homie.

Some sled neckin

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTfClYIqWwU"]YouTube- NoronaLife.com - Sled Tracks 2.mov[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Easy fix. You need a new fucking haircut.
    Not now chief, I'm in the fucking zone!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Question:

When compared to other sleds it is obvious the amount of muscle you need to simply turn the bars side to side is pretty intense. While I'm all for doing curls, drinking muscle milk and doing jager bombs, I'm wondering what is causing this...

I am running simmons skis and my carbides look good. It feels like there is an immense amount of drag or weight on the skis compared to others....

Discuss.
    Remove the sway bar. You will be rocking that thing like a superstar!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXOHFOUR View Post
    Remove the sway bar. You will be rocking that thing like a superstar!
    Already did. It tips over pretty easy, that's not what I'm concerned about.

What I'm concerned about is the fact it is soooo much more effort to turn the bars side to side (on harder snow mind you) that it could be an indicator something is a bit off that needs some attention...that's all.

Question:

Discuss.

Noticed the same thing that day up near Winter Park. Steering seemed super stiff and sluggish. Grease fitting? Lube it up.

Loosen your headset

It's probably that heavy ass replacement motor sitting in there making the front end all heavy and overloading the skis.

Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife View Post
    Also, if when sitting on flat ground, your limiter is tight, loosen it a notch or two.
    Try this. I *THINK* this will allow the nose of the sled to come up more, in turn, making it feel lighter. backountryislife, do you know for sure?

I need to go the other way with Marg. When you put 500 pounds of weight in her the frontend gets light in a hurry.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Rigged up a new ski carry system tonight, seems pretty bomber. Used a snowboard ankle strap on the tunnel and a gun rack on the rear. Ran a strap through the mounting bracket of the gun rack so I don't have to deal with bungees. Sorry for the overexposed shitty camera pic, I'll post some closeups later.

Hey JTrue, is that a Kolpin Rhino Grip? Where'd you get it? I was looking at doing something similar as a stopgap measure till I can afford one of P4B's custom racks.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Here is another fun vid, sorry for the song repeat...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gALC7etnGgw"]YouTube- NoronaLife.com - Roopin in the Sun![/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Try this. I *THINK* this will allow the nose of the sled to come up more, in turn, making it feel lighter. backountryislife, do you know for sure?

I need to go the other way with Marg. When you put 500 pounds of weight in her the frontend gets light in a hurry.

Maybe this will help. Not sure...

I'll put a lift under the front end and check to make sure nothing is "binding" in the steering linkage but I'm guessing the linkage is free. It certainly feels more like the skis are dragging due to excess weight on them or something like that...just not sure what could cause this.

Do you have a owner's manual? Usually it goes over suspension setup.

To reduce heavy steering reduce preload on the front springs and the front shock of the rear skid. This will allow the weight to transfer to the back of the sled.

Different skiis will also change the way it steers.

If i remember right, simmons skis take a little more effort to turn. I didn't really care for 'em that much. Because the carbides are not on the centerline, they tend to jerk the bars when you run over sticks and rocks and crap and it can be a bit of a pain. Not a big deal really though, 'cause how often does that happen. They do all-but eliminate on-trail darting. I've always favored SLP skis myself.

Easiest way to fix problems with on-trail handling is to get off the trail! :-) Seriously though, loosen the limiter strap in front, maybe even go to a lower mounting bracket for the skid, get that track down in front. You'll get stuck less. You won't be able to turn on the trail anymore, but why set up a mountain sled for the trail?

That's the thing, I've compared my sled to Revs that are DIALED with simmons skis and its night and day how much effort mine is at low/no speed on harder snow to turn...

Can I deal with it? Yes, for sure I can...I'm just concerned the weight distribution is off and effecting my soft snow performance too...

I'll put a lift under the front end and check to make sure nothing is "binding" in the steering linkage but I'm guessing the linkage is free. It certainly feels more like the skis are dragging due to excess weight on them or something like that...just not sure what could cause this.
    This one is an easy fix, like pano dude said just tighten the front shock spring or loosen the rear shock a tad, torsion springs on your sled still right? (that's SOOO 2007!)

how you get to the solution depends on whether you want the sled to be softer, stiffer, or the same. Either way, when you add simmons skis you added more "grab", you can undo that grab a BIT by letting a touch of weight off the front end.

The limiter can hurt this problem ,but if it's loose when it's sitting flat, it's not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Hey JTrue, is that a Kolpin Rhino Grip? Where'd you get it? I was looking at doing something similar as a stopgap measure till I can afford one of P4B's custom racks.

I have a few of those gun rack holders sitting around in my garage if you want them. They worked fairly well as a cheap ski rack on my old sled. Just let me know and I'll bring 'em with me next time we ski.

After riding your sled, my guess would be that there's too much forward pressure on the skis. Instead of floating on the snow surface they are pushing the snow, like a snowcat. So, an adjustment to your springs/forward suspension might do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by TacocaT View Post
    any thoughts on the 2005 Arctic cat m7. A guy I know is looking to unload one. is it powerful enough to turn a 162" track and/or tandem.
    I have an 06 M7 and its been great, enough power for sure for everything necessary. Mine is a 153".

I believe all reports point to the M7 being the "smart" buy in this vintage, 05 and 06. Good reliabilty, good power, good handling, etc.