Page 48 of 167 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 4154
    '12 Summit SP 800 e-tec purchased yesterday. RPM is getting it all dialed and i pick up tomorrow. Stoked. Anyone have advice on insurance? I only have injury but no collision or comp to keep premium low.

Anybody been out recently? Trying to decide between heading to Gould, Vail Pass or WP/Granby Area. Input? 1st trip of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    '12 Summit SP 800 e-tec purchased yesterday. RPM is getting it all dialed and i pick up tomorrow. Stoked. Anyone have advice on insurance? I only have injury but no collision or comp to keep premium low.
    I have AAA insurance and pay $160 for the year for full coverage.

Anyone have a good glue to use to attach custom Frogzskin vents? I bought a roll of the fabric and am venting up the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    I have AAA insurance and pay $160 for the year for full coverage.

That's about what I am with Progressive. Never filed a claim though?

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Skiing View Post
    Anyone have a good glue to use to attach custom Frogzskin vents? I bought a roll of the fabric and am venting up the cat.
    I was wondering this myself. I have a rip in one of mine and want to replace it. Where did you get a roll of the fabric or are you using something similar to their fabric?

I bought it straight from them at frogzskin.com, it was like 40 bucks shipped for 36" by 58". Way more than you need, you could make a mesh hood out of what they send you.

I've used contact cement (not as directed, just globbed it on let it set up, it never fully cures that way and stays flexible) and had pretty good luck, but still having some trouble in a detail area of the nose cone on the cat.

My 2003 800 RMK died the other day. We were going in to Tam MacArthur Rim in Central Oregon. I was doing a little boondocking in the powder on the frozen lake surface. I was leaning off the side in a big turn when suddenly the engine dies and the sled stops and i fly off in front of it.

I thought maybe i hit the killswitch with my arm or something. I give it a pull to start and it pulls very hard then won't pull at all. Uh Oh.

I pop the hood and i can turn the drive clutch off the stuck spot, then it spins a little more normally. I try the pull starter and it pulls a turn or so then sticks again. So we towed it over to the road where we knew it would be easy to tow the rest of the way home, then we go skiing for a few hours. When we were done skiing we pulled the dead sled home without a problem.

Now it's in my garage and i've got it torn down to the intake and exhaust ports. Looking in the exhaust ports the pistons look fine. When i turn the clutch/crankshaft to certain positions, it will have just a tiny bit of slack and a clunk-clunk as i rock it back and forth in the slack spot. Looking into the intake port, on the drive-side cylinder it looks like the slack is because the crank is broken inside the bottom of the connecting rod. Maybe the needle bearing there went bad and then the crank broke, or vice versa. Anyway, it looks to me like it's broken there, because in that tiny bit of slack, one side moves and the other doesn't.

If indeed that is the case, what do i do? Get a rebuilt crank? What's the best place to get one? Anything else i should do while i'm in there? What about the other con-rod bearing? From what i saw, the top end looks ok, should i mess with anything there?

Quote Originally Posted by TroySmith80 View Post
    My 2003 800 RMK died the other day. We were going in to Tam MacArthur Rim in Central Oregon. I was doing a little boondocking in the powder on the frozen lake surface. I was leaning off the side in a big turn when suddenly the engine dies and the sled stops and i fly off in front of it.

I thought maybe i hit the killswitch with my arm or something. I give it a pull to start and it pulls very hard then won't pull at all. Uh Oh.

I pop the hood and i can turn the drive clutch off the stuck spot, then it spins a little more normally. I try the pull starter and it pulls a turn or so then sticks again. So we towed it over to the road where we knew it would be easy to tow the rest of the way home, then we go skiing for a few hours. When we were done skiing we pulled the dead sled home without a problem.

Now it's in my garage and i've got it torn down to the intake and exhaust ports. Looking in the exhaust ports the pistons look fine. When i turn the clutch/crankshaft to certain positions, it will have just a tiny bit of slack and a clunk-clunk as i rock it back and forth in the slack spot. Looking into the intake port, on the drive-side cylinder it looks like the slack is because the crank is broken inside the bottom of the connecting rod. Maybe the needle bearing there went bad and then the crank broke, or vice versa. Anyway, it looks to me like it's broken there, because in that tiny bit of slack, one side moves and the other doesn't.

If indeed that is the case, what do i do? Get a rebuilt crank? What's the best place to get one? Anything else i should do while i'm in there? What about the other con-rod bearing? From what i saw, the top end looks ok, should i mess with anything there?
    I have an 02 800 RMK. I have read that these sleds have some crank issues. I am not sure if it was the crank itself, or the bearings, but there is an upgraded replacement kit you should get for these sleds if you have the motor that far apart. If you are unsure, have someone look at the heads and pistons. At the very least I'd put new rings in, and possibly pistons, and that is assuming the heads are in good shape.

Hmm, doing some research... it sounds like the problem with these motors is that the crankcases are not perfectly true and aligned and then that causes undue stress on the crank, which eventually gives out. So if i understand correctly, the thing to do is to have the cases machined and the crank rebuilt so that everything is perfectly aligned and supported, then it should be fine.

...of course, that sounds pretty expensive. Today is sunday, so tomorrow I'll call IndyDan, he's apparently THE polaris guru. I'll come back and share what i learn.

I have basically no money to spend on this. So if it's more than a few hundred bucks, i'll probably have to just sell the sled. :-(

I did a quick google search. did not read about misaligned cases, but I did read about upgraded bearing kits and possibly balancing the primary clutch. Good luck with your sled though

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    That's about what I am with Progressive. Never filed a claim though?
    I filed a claim a few years ago when I had Farmers insurance company. The next year it went up to $400 a year. The way I see it, I gave them $168 in October and they cut me a check for $7500 in April. I bought a new sled and insured it through them for $400. No issues. The next year I switched to AAA insurance and the premium dropped to $160. I came out ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I did a quick google search. did not read about misaligned cases, but I did read about upgraded bearing kits and possibly balancing the primary clutch. Good luck with your sled though
    I may not be describing it accurately. They get into it in this thread: http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...-failures.html

AFter reading that, i went back into the garage and grabbed hold of my drive clutch and tried to move it around. It should be super solid, no play. Felt less than solid. Not clunky loose, but not solid. That's probably bad also. I'm going to pull the motor out and then get the rest of the sled out of my garage. I have a feeling it's going to be down for a while.

Anybody wanna buy it as is? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post
    http://www.porttackracks.com/

Diggin that rack with my own simple snowboard binding ski rack attached.
    Thanks for the props Mountainman. Would love to see a pic of our rack with your hockey puck set up! We use UHMW parts in a similar set up as your hockey pucks... that's cutting board material. If someone has a jig saw and an old cutting board it's pretty easy to make what ever shape you want... just be sure to round off the edges as they can be sharp and cut you when falling off.

Benner

Looking for an entry sled for skiing access. I know nothing. Considering a 97 skidoo summit 670 here local. 2100 miles, asking $1200.

What can you tell me about this sled? Price?

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by SWskier View Post
    Looking for an entry sled for skiing access. I know nothing. Considering a 97 skidoo summit 670 here local. 2100 miles, asking $1200.

What can you tell me about this sled? Price?

Thanks for the help.
    I used an 1997 Arctic cat 580 powder special for years for ski access, and it worked fine. Bigger is better, but that price is pretty tempting also.

everyone speaks highly of the 670.
    back in the day guys were tanduming on it.
    that sounds a good deal, and being local saves driving all over looking at shity sleds.
    its a 16 year old machine with only 2100 miles.
    is it the original motor, been rebuilt?
    I'm guessing its in good condition for such low miles.
    if it starts easy and runs happily pull the trigger.
    and welcome to sled touring !!!
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Selling my 2001 Ski Doo Summit 500. Discount for Colorado TGR folks. Great condition with only 1500 miles on it.

http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/3519376147.html

I had a 99 Summit 670X for a few seasons, paid $1500 for it ~5 years ago. It had 2000 miles on it, iirc, ran well, shrug, it was good. Had a 136" track originally, I put a 144 on it, which made it better.

It struggled a bit in deep snow compared to today's stuff, but it never failed us when a track was in place. Less comfortable to tandem than my 03 ZX chassis 700.

$1200 is tempting, though. They're good. It would foul plugs occasionally (I think the 99 670X motor is slightly different than the 97 670...not sure), dunno. I kinda hated that thing - small, less comfortable than the ZX, running boards were slippery and filled up with snow compared to the ZX, throttle flapper stuck out at a funny angle compared to the ZX (or any newer Doo), made my thumb hurt, little weird annoyances.....

....but it never really let us down, and the motor had plenty of power. There are better things out there, but the 670 certainly CAN do the job.

It ate limiter straps, for some reason. It'd gnaw through at least one per season. Other than that, shrug, it was good.

Iain

Thanks for the input. Ending up buying the 670 for $900! Low miles, runs great. Should be perfect for my needs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(4).JPG 
Views:	383 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	130113
    Last edited by SWskier; 01-11-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Had a nice sled/ski mission up Brandywine today.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

stolen from Squawlik's fb

^^^ pretty awesome. Something's destined to go wrong. Maybe a kiteboarding rig?

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedbrew4u View Post
    ^^^ pretty awesome. Something's destined to go wrong. Maybe a kiteboarding rig?
    Please.

What could EVER go wrong doing that?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

2008 Ski-Doo Rev XP 800cc 154" question:
    If I install the 1+1 seat, will there be enough room for the Cheetah Factor Racing DD Rack Gold package? (2skiers+2pairskis)
    Will the 2nd rider have any foot room at all?
    Do I need the Passenger Footrest Kit?

Please post pics if you have this setup!

Name:	ski-doo.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	471.7 KB 
ID:	130666

Name:	ski-doorear.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	482.5 KB 
ID:	130667