Page 21 of 167 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    Fluff, I just purchased an 04 Mountain Cat 900 159" track with similar mods and about the same amount of hours on a rebuilt motor. Feels like it has gobs of power, but I did have the issue of bogging in waist deep snow. I think I will be able to fix it with an exhaust snow deflector or exhaust dump reroute. Takes a little more muscle to throw around then the new sleds, but on my second day out I was able to lay it over pretty easily most of the time. Hit me up if you have any questions.
    The right side bog is just like p4b said.

Most drill the exhaust and give it an alternative route and that cures the bog.
    The other thing too, make sure your screen is in the vents on your hood. If not, pow goes right into the belt area, and lubricates the belt/clutch which can get you stuck in bad spots.

As far as riding sleds being tough, it's really not that bad. Sleds are more finess and skill. Counter-steer your turns. Same with sidehilling-watch this video. Muscling isn't the correct way to ride.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDwBj6SxD90"]YouTube- Side Hill tech tip[/ame]

Who wants to ride today/tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Infamous right side bog. Search the Snowest 1M forum for a fix. Some dandy ideas out there; none of which seem to work to well without re-routing the discharge, which can get expensive. Just keep it WFO in the deep and learn to live with it.
    Yeah, I've read as many threads as I could find on the issue. I'm going to try a snow deflector and sealing up the belly pan/exhaust joints with hightemp RTV. I definitely noticed a good amount of exhaust coming out of my speedo hole, so the combination of no exhaust deflector and the intake pulling in exhaust fumes isn't helping.

If that doesn't work I guess I can go with the SLP exhuast outlet transfer tube, unfortunately it looks like the one for SLP twin pipes(which i have) is going to run me $300.00. Oh well, knew this wasn't going to be cheap when I got into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    The right side bog is just like p4b said.

Most drill the exhaust and give it an alternative route and that cures the bog.
    The other thing too, make sure your screen is in the vents on your hood. If not, pow goes right into the belt area, and lubricates the belt/clutch which can get you stuck in bad spots.

As far as riding sleds being tough, it's really not that bad. Sleds are more finess and skill. Counter-steer your turns. Same with sidehilling-watch this video. Muscling isn't the correct way to ride.
    YouTube- Side Hill tech tip

Who wants to ride today/tomorrow?
    Yeah, maybe muscling wasn't the right word. Once I realized I needed to stand forward and lock my feet under the toe bar/hug the seat with my knees, it got a lot easier to lay it over with just a little body english.

Good idea on screens for the hoods vents.

Yeah, maybe muscling wasn't the right word. Once I realized I needed to stand forward and lock my feet under the toe bar/hug the seat with my knees, it got a lot easier to lay it over with just a little body english.
    It's just a matter of experience and practice. You were doing pretty damn good for your second day out...except for that part where we almost had to heli-lift your sled out.

Fluff, I just purchased an 04 Mountain Cat 900 159" track with similar mods and about the same amount of hours on a rebuilt motor. Feels like it has gobs of power, but I did have the issue of bogging in waist deep snow. I think I will be able to fix it with an exhaust snow deflector or exhaust dump reroute. Takes a little more muscle to throw around then the new sleds, but on my second day out I was able to lay it over pretty easily most of the time. Hit me up if you have any questions.
    Hey,
    New guy here! Here's my ride.
    I had the bad bog also so I taped off the air intake on the inside of the foot wells. Made a big difference to not suck warm air and exhaust from the engine area.

Also added a snorkle to the air box that sucks air through the speedo hole( no speedo)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sled assist boarding tomorrow!

classic tub owners are coming out of the woodwork!!! nice sled!

Just spoke with Marc at WRP about a possible group buy for running boards. Just seeing if there is any interest. If you are interested please reply with Make/Model of sled you need them for. Of course the discount depends on number of orders. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Link: http://www.wr-products.com/products/RunningBoards/

Look like this:

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Hey,
    New guy here! Here's my ride.
    I had the bad bog also so I taped off the air intake on the inside of the foot wells. Made a big difference to not suck warm air and exhaust from the engine area.

Also added a snorkle to the air box that sucks air through the speedo hole( no speedo)

Sled assist boarding tomorrow!
    Nice sled. I've heard good results from taping off the foot wells. Will have to look into that. The homemade snorkel seems to work pretty well too. Have any pics of this work? Would be interesting to see.

A bit of fun this weekend...

Abby getting more comfortable with throttle control on the turbo.

Making sure my 1000 is still running, feeling like a puss this year, need to ride more.

Just spoke with Marc at WRP about a possible group buy for running boards. Just seeing if there is any interest. If you are interested please reply with Make/Model of sled you need them for. Of course the discount depends on number of orders. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

]
    Nice looking snow eliminator running boards, like the reinforcement that runs up on to the side of the tunnel. Those would be money in the PNW where snow tends to pack up under foot easily. Too bad I already have a set (different brand) on both of our sleds.

PSA

should check Snowest for conformation, but the Gunnison and Buena Vista dealers are supposed to be having a demo for stuff on Kebbler. think Jan. 17th?

don't know if it's just the 4 strokes or not? they did act like they'd have the 2moto bike thingy.

i read it in the Colorado part at Snowest.
    Last edited by capulin overdrive; 01-12-2010 at 12:18 PM.

A couple picts from the weekend. (none of me)

Got my sled in the air for the first time. (actually, not my sled but a SICK sub 400lbs Rev XP) Anyway, it's way different than being in the air on skis or a bike...

Here is my buddy on his turbo'd 700. (race gas 240+hp)

Another buddy on a borrowed sled...

Local guy...

Look like this:
    If there is any interest, just pm me with the details above, also include your name/email as well, I posted this over at Snowest as well to see if we can get this going. Thanks.

Nice pics Kaleb and Jeff! We need to coordinate a CO maggot sled mini sometime this winter. There's a bunch of us.

Quote Originally Posted by ^^^ View Post
    Nice sled. I've heard good results from taping off the foot wells. Will have to look into that. The homemade snorkel seems to work pretty well too. Have any pics of this work? Would be interesting to see.
    Thanks,
    I'll snap some pics for ya.

Pic from snowest.

Quote Originally Posted by ^^^ View Post
    Nice pics Kaleb and Jeff! We need to coordinate a CO maggot sled mini sometime this winter. There's a bunch of us.
    I'll come next year, but with something like this.

The 2 moto bikes are insane fun when the conditions are right. Coolest new thing i've done in a long time. I don't have one but i've ridden 'em a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by TroySmith80 View Post
    The 2 moto bikes are insane fun when the conditions are right. Coolest new thing i've done in a long time. I don't have one but i've ridden 'em a couple times.
    I've never ridden one, but according to their site they only rob 1 horsepower per 10mph. Seems like they'd be hard on the clutch, but who cares, a clutch is a $50-1hour replacement.

Kinda pricey though.

Quickie tech question for you guys...
    I have been getting a ton of wandering/darting at moderate speeds on the new sled, so much that it's downright sketchy at times on moderately packed/groomed trails.

I checked ski alignment and it's w/in spec, skis/skags in great shape. Question is - I am going to play around w/ the limiter strap settings and would I need to increase or decrease the front end pressure? FYI on a 08 RMK w/ the 155 track

TIA

Trail riding on mountain sleds suck. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by alta825 View Post

I checked ski alignment and it's w/in spec, skis/skags in great shape. Question is - I am going to play around w/ the limiter strap settings and would I need to increase or decrease the front end pressure? FYI on a 08 RMK w/ the 155 track

TIA
    I'm pretty sure you'd want to increase ski pressure. My sled darts pretty bad too, I fixed this by avoiding hard pack whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by alta825 View Post
    Quickie tech question for you guys...
    I have been getting a ton of wandering/darting at moderate speeds on the new sled, so much that it's downright sketchy at times on moderately packed/groomed trails.

TIA
    Some stock skis are more prone to this as well.
    Replaced ours with Simmons skis and the problem all but went away.
    I have herd others say the same thing about SLP and other brans of aftermarket skis.

Anybody know the route and difficulty of sledding into the Skinner Hut in CO?

x2 on Simmons; I put Simmons Gen2s on mine (03 Summit 700), no more darting. That said, darting should be mostly curable with alignment (ski toe) and/or replacement of loose parts. Mine was not darting _badly_ with the stock skis, but once I went to the Simmons, it does_not_dart. The Simmons have two runners/carbides, which probably (duh) has a lot to do with it.

Iain