Page 29 of 167 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    I'm on snowest, but looks like I should go get a login at dootalk.
    You're in Mqt and you're going to take snowmobile advice from the internet? Go get a login at the wooden nickel

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Go get a login at the wooden nickel
    I'm trying to score a deal on a sweet Ski Doo jacket on ebay first so I can blend in a little bit!
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Interested to hear how that rack holds up the first time you need to roll that sled out of a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    Interested to hear how that rack holds up the first time you need to roll that sled out of a hole.
    Yeah, we'll see. On the other hand, if I roll the sled, I'd like the $30 gun racks to explode and save my skis...

The rubber straps that the gun racks come with _will_ fail in short order, from my experience.

Replace them with something else, the gun racks kinda work.

Iain

GB

I used those exact gun holders (cabellas) last year and they held up pretty good but did eventually break. I only put one ski per rack too. That knuckle is the weak point.

The good news is I have a spare if yours breaks and you need it
    Hello darkness my old friend

From what I've seen and read, that gun rack will fail at the pivot, where that red sticker is. I just bought myself a similar set of gun racks except they don't pivot, they are fixed.

http://www.tacticalandhuntinggear.ne..._ATV_Racks.cfm

edit: just finished the install on my '10 M8. Took 10 minutes and the only power tool I had to bust out was the dremel to cut the end off of the bolts so they didn't stick out so far. The hardware seems pretty sturdy. No pivots to fail, locking nuts were included.

Last edited by dfinn; 11-20-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    From what I've seen and read, that gun rack will fail at the pivot, where that red sticker is. I just bought myself a similar set of gun racks except they don't pivot, they are fixed.

http://www.tacticalandhuntinggear.ne..._ATV_Racks.cfm
    On mine it failed at the pivot. The plastic knob on the end of the bolt that you tighten falls off the bolt, a fix is to place a washer bigger than the od of the hole the bolt runs through. I had good luck with NRS straps, very easy to tighten up and didn't come loose. I used a snowboard binding strap to secure the front of the ski to the tunnel

Shitty pic, but gives you the idea.

I'm dumb. Trying to take the seat off my 01 RMK 700 for reupholstering. It is on there pretty good, any tips on getting my seat off??
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

fired the sled today!
    hope to get out somewhere tomorrow...

Dside11-11 on Wednesday, which was one of the deepest snowmo days I've had

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmurphy View Post

Dside11-11 on Wednesday, which was one of the deepest snowmo days I've had
    Beautiful. Let's braaapneck soon!

Alright I got a question after riding today.

I have a 2008 Polaris Dragon 800. Had it out running today and the temp light kept coming on. We were riding double on a trail and after about 10 min it would turn on. When the light would come on it was running right around 225. stopped and let it cool down and then rode it back to the truck without the temp getting over 200. any ideas? we were riding pretty high rpm's and steady @ that. the coolant is full btw

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gilla View Post

I have a 2008 Polaris Dragon 800. Had it out running today and the temp light kept coming on. We were riding double on a trail and after about 10 min it would turn on. When the light would come on it was running right around 225. stopped and let it cool down and then rode it back to the truck without the temp getting over 200. any ideas? we were riding pretty high rpm's and steady @ that. the coolant is full btw

cheers
    Do you have ice scratchers?

cheers

Wow, you are lucky. I never run over 175 deg. They blow up around 190. Your sled should run between 125-150 deg F

Is your hifax fucked? Ice scratchers in place? These are deep snow sleds that require powder to cool them. If no pow, you need ice scratchers. I would recommend never running with out them in packed snow.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Nope, don't have ice scratchers.

Hifax shouldn't be fucked. had it out the other day in 2 feet of fresh and had no issues. the riding today was definitely on hard pack. i will look into ice scratchers. the sled got a shake down at the mechanic this summer so i dunno. all of this is new to me

edit: it wasn't running +160 for more then 2-4 minutes.

Nope, don't have ice scratchers.

Hifax shouldn't be fucked. had it out the other day in 2 feet of fresh and had no issues. the riding today was definitely on hard pack. i will look into ice scratchers. the sled got a shake down at the mechanic this summer so i dunno. all of this is new to me

edit: it wasn't running +160 for more then 2-4 minutes.
    Yeah, you need scratchers when running on hardpack, or make sure you pull off and pull into some pow every so often. The snow gets kicked up on the coolers underneath the tunnel and this keeps the sled cool. With no snow hitting the coolers the sled is going to overheat. Scrathers are a good investment, buy some.

sweet man, thanks for the answers

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Wow, you are lucky. I never run over 175 deg. They blow up around 190. Your sled should run between 125-150 deg F
    No it ain't gonna BLOW up @ 190F.
    You want it hot, within reason, ya make more power.

glad this aint my trick mod sled BURIED today

gapertimmy's new rack I fabbed up for him

a good day sledneck/skiing 11.27.10
    Last edited by Schralper; 11-28-2010 at 03:02 PM.

After staring at the new sled in my garage for the past three months I finally had the chance to get it out at Vail Pass this weekend. It was my first time riding a mountain sled and was some of the most fun I've had in a while....and now I am as sore as I've been in a while.

Rode almost all the way to Red Cliff, and out to the valley across from Blue Sky on Lime Creek Road. Coverage was pretty good everywhere and didn't hit anything on the roads or meadows.
    go upside down.

yeah, yesterday was pretty fun i guess!

Quote Originally Posted by treeskier View Post
    yeah, yesterday was pretty fun i guess!
    Folsom? Dang now I see why the incarceration industry is the fastest growing industry in the US. Must be sledneckin for guards only? or are you pulling a Steve McQueen great escape?

cheers
    Trail riding usually causes the sled to run hotter because snow isn't being kicked up in the track etc. and such for better lubrication. I've experienced it quite often with polaris and ski doos. Just run it off the trial occasionally and cool it off when possible...

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhucker View Post
    Trail riding usually causes the sled to run hotter because snow isn't being kicked up in the track etc. and such for better lubrication. I've experienced it quite often with polaris and ski doos. Just run it off the trial occasionally and cool it off when possible...
    it's the lack of snow getting kicked up on radiator that's generally the overheatin problem which is where the scratchers come in handy.
    i like the ones that attach to skis vs skidframe.
    drill the track out too. gets more snow on hyfax + some loss of rotating mass.
    weight loss more noticeable on underpowered sleds.
    1"/1.25" hole saw, poker (to push out track plugs), lube & 6pack (sounds kinky eh?) 2 or 3 holes across track x how ever long your track is.
    just don't drill into idler wheels
    don't do if you're really into water snowmoing, solid track works better.
    Last edited by Schralper; 11-29-2010 at 03:28 PM.