Page 17 of 167 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Nice V10! Getting the hang of counter steering already! Powder sledding is comparable to powder skiing sometimes, its hard to get faceshots on the flat on skis, but they're endless on a sled. As you ride more, you'll learn to carve up and downhill in the pow on the sled, which is super fun too! Braaap.

Who is the mag in Park City who has been parking his toyota on old ranch road with a TGR and Slednecks sticker on his whip?

Quote Originally Posted by fluffballs View Post
    That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I just want to make sure it's not going to be a headache from the get go. "The 900 polaris is truly the worst sled that has been created." makes me a little nervous.

That's a tough one. It's a killer deal if it goes well, but the other side to the 150 miles issue is this... it hasn't had time to work out the problems yet.

If they last, they'll last for a while, like the polaris 800, they either blew or they didn't. With 150 miles it's hard to say that it's not one of the bad ones, but on the other hand, it's only likely to have the main issues that they had motorwise, the rest of the sled is likely pretty bomber.

When I said worst, I meant most problematic, the chassis is actually the newer tech IQ chassis, and handles very well. If the motor doesn't blow, you'll love that sled! Just be aware of the possible issue, save the 1500 that you would have spent on any other comparable sled & hope you never have to dump it in!

Ask on snowest in the polaris forum for fixes for that machine & what to look for, that will go a long way toward making it work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    Well, I can tell you the 2011 ski-doo summits are still 2 stroke. What I can't tell you is anything else about them... Oh and pretty sure ski-doo isn't making that 4stroke sled they had 3 years ago anymore. So much for moving towards 4 stroke sleds.

How about posting photos of you riding your super awesome radgnar sled instead of bitching all the time? Everyone else is contributing to stoke but you blurred. I can't wait to see your "man" skills, you talk a big game about how awesome your sled is and how shitty everyone else is but I have yet to see anything from you but verbal diarrhea.

Oh yeah, and as someone who has actually ridden a turbo nytro, they're good for going straight, and spending 30,000$. That's about it. They break down all the time and suck to turn. Most of the people you'll see riding turbo nytros are probably 50, and spend their weekends polishing the chrome finish on their upgraded tunnel because they only get out to ride it two days a month or less. Such has been my experience anyways with owners of turbo nytros... feel free to share if anyone has a person account otherwise.
    Nads you hit the nail on the head with this post. 2strokes will still be the best runnin sleds for the near future (next 5 years).. Also a well set up 2 stroke with a turbo will kick the shat out of a 4 stroke turbo...

I have ridden more than a few turboed nytros and 2 stroke turbos.. My opinion is that if I am going to spend the 25k american that it would take to get a good turbo in a nytro I would rather get a 2008 dodge 2500 4x4 with low miles...

Or I guess I could order a new 2010 cat m8 and put a turbo on it, then get a 600 snow pro race sled, and then put a turbo on my m1000 (for the same 25k).. So I guess if you want 1 ok sled instead of 3 great sleds go ahead and get a nytro turbo... I have the same opinion as nads nothin that yamie has put on the snow has impressed me since that 700 trippple and it was a trippple......

My man stay away from that 900 polaris.. It was the worst sled of the decade.. Not joking that sled will strand you somewhere and be a pain in the ass to get out..

From 2001 - 2010 the best sleds were made by skidoo and cat.. They both had their quirks certain years but for day in and day out ridin they are the best. As far as longevity well I put between 3000 and 4000 miles a year on the sleds I ride and the cats hold up well for me..

Oh yea there will be some sled stoke to come from me.. Just have to down load the pics..

Also if I was not clear - the poo 900's are the worst sled made in the last decade.

here is the latest build from c3 powersports. 163 carbon fibre xp with a cat m8 turbo engine under the hood. 399lbs with the 25lb aero 66 turbo from boostwerx strapped on. this would be a fun ride.
    oh ya, i love my rev

Originally Posted by GoNads
    "Well, I can tell you the 2011 ski-doo summits are still 2 stroke."

do you know if they are going with their E-Teck? once they start with fuel injection they'll be easier to turbo.
    Last edited by revitup; 12-23-2009 at 10:39 AM.

that Polaris would be a ok deal if the crank arms have been replaced with updated ones, as all of them are known to bend after not many miles, resulting in complete engine failure. I think they might have computer issues as well, kinda like the doo 1000, there both known lemon sleds.

You guys are crazy to say 25k for a turboed yammi, maybe with all aftermarket tunnels and suspension brand new built by some pro, than ya easy. I'm talkin buy a used one with under 2k mi and throw a used turbo or blower from snowest on for under 9 or 10 total. But I guess if they ride like ass and don't want to get on edge the point is mute anyway.
    Last edited by AKturnanburn; 12-23-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Oh yeah, and as someone who has actually ridden a turbo nytro, they're good for going straight, and spending 30,000$...
    I'll take a guess here, it was probably stretched out to a 174? And you probably weigh somewhere between 100 and 125 lbs? I've heard a lot of complaints about Nytros but handling usually isn't one of them. Must be a different scene up in Whistler. The dudes around here who are on boosted yamahas are usually getting after it pretty good. Between word of mouth and SW I rarely hear about anyone having any major issues or problems with them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKturnanburn View Post
    You guys are crazy to say 25k for a turboed yammi, .
    I'm a little confused about where people are getting these numbers from too. MSRP is about a grand more for the Nytro 162 vs the M8 162 sno pro. Boondocker turbo kit costs about $2500 less than an Impulse kit for the Nytro.
    jahve's calculator must be broken because I don't think $3500 = a 600 sno pro race sled and a turbo kit for his m1000.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Between word of mouth and SW I rarely hear about anyone having any major issues or problems with them.
    A recent SW pole put Yami on the top with regard to reliability.
    Having owned two in the past myself, my experience was the same.
    Very reliable, excellent fit and finish.

JV, you need to ride with DJ (rotax) some time, he'll change your opinion on what a nytro can do & only has around 17k into his (impulse kit on an otherwise stock machine).
    If we had built Abby's sled new it would have cost over 17k, not exactly chump change!!!

turbos are pricey, I can't imagine riding ANYTHING that's not turbo'd unless it's a 1000!!!
    I'm still not gonna buy a yammihahaha anytime soon though!
    revitup, that c3 sled is SIIIIIICK!!!! 399 is a beautiful number!!!!

How do you safely turbo a two stroke? this is news to me. interesting on the mixed message with the nytro's, I guess I'll have to try one to see whats up. I think a 162 would be enough for what I need, but this looks sweet and no one would be able to find you in the trees and alders in the fall with that sweet paint job. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/1522474899.html

There are a number of 2 strokes that deal with boost very well.
    the dragon 7 & 8 work well turbo'd, and the M's work well also.

The one we have can run from 7 to 13.5 lbs. 7 to 9.5 can be run on pump gas, 10 & up we need a mix of race fuel. Most of the time we run it at 10-11 lbs with around 2 gals race fuel. It's the least fussy big hp sled I've owned (and sometimes Abby even lets me ride it!) and I've owned a few monsters. I haven't pushed a button to adjust this thing since the day we bought it.

There still a far cry from a 4 stroke in reliability, you should replace pistons around every 2k or so, and reeds about once a season. (only about $400 a year, not too bad)

In the next few years I feel there will be fewer & fewer naturally aspirated sleds on the snow, when you ride one of these things you're screwed, it's gonna cost you about 5k on your next sled!!!! (kits are as low as 3500 now)

I think many of you will get a kick out of this,... some of you might not...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y996njQGekg&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Angry Ontario Snowmobiler[/nomedia]

I'll take a guess here, it was probably stretched out to a 174? And you probably weigh somewhere between 100 and 125 lbs? I've heard a lot of complaints about Nytros but handling usually isn't one of them. Must be a different scene up in Whistler. The dudes around here who are on boosted yamahas are usually getting after it pretty good. Between word of mouth and SW I rarely hear about anyone having any major issues or problems with them.
    Not sure if this will work, but here goes.

Link to video from few days ago. I'm in the red coat.
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=245912945796

I'm definitely not 100lbs, and I cant definitely chuck my 500lb skidoo summit 800 around, I just found that in comparison to other sleds I had ridden (Summit 800s 600's, M8's, M10's, Dragons, Assaults,) that the Nytros were VERY sluggish when it came to handling. They were a lot harder to maneuver, didn't like to stay over, and weren't too nimble. I'd go with a Ski-doo, cat, or polaris over yammy any day. Depends on what you're looking for though. Lots of boondocking through trees all day? Go cat as they are by far the easiest sled to boondock and sidehill, they have a wide balance point too. More climbing and jumping and nimble? Go Ski-doo, they are the lightest, and the weight is all centered and far forward, easy to manipulate in the air but the balance point is much smaller than cat for laying over, takes some people a while to get used to. I hate to say it again, but seriously... nytro is for going straight.

Thought I would throw this up for some stoke. We haven't been blessed by the snow fairy yet in CO, but there are still some good pockets. No skis this day but a lot of fun, except that I picked up a 8 week rehab injury. Anyway, here are some pics. Pow4brains needs to post a pic of the ski rack that we (mostly he) built for my Nytro. The guy is a craftsman of this highest maggot order.

-You can't get hurt if you are in the air.

Caleb Wray Photography

go nads, are you on the blue xp or the grey one? whoever was on the blue one was slaying it bigger and smoother than everyone. looks fun but the snow looks blower, do you even ski anymore?

I'm a little confused about where people are getting these numbers from too. MSRP is about a grand more for the Nytro 162 vs the M8 162 sno pro. Boondocker turbo kit costs about $2500 less than an Impulse kit for the Nytro.
    jahve's calculator must be broken because I don't think $3500 = a 600 sno pro race sled and a turbo kit for his m1000.
    Well my situation is a bit different than you...

Here is how I come up with my numbers. A new in the box delivered m8 with the discount I get from cat runs me about $8000.. In fact I just wrote a ck for one as a big white crate was dropped off yesterday .. Turbo pump gas kit after disc = $3500... So there is sled #1..

Sled 2 would be a used 09 600 sno pro race sled - got a friend selling one for $6500...

So for sled #1 and #2 we are at $18,000

Now put a pump gas turbo on the m1000 I own... Another $3500... I would now have spent about $ 21,500 to have 3 great on the snow sleds... Real numbers I could do this and have almost talked myself into it writing this post!!!!

I have 3 freinds that ride the nytro turbo and yea you will not out high mark one... But all 3 have problems following my un turboed 1000 in tight trees..

Mtn tech and another shop builds the yamie turbo's right here in town. All 3 are guys around 50 and when built each sled cost give or take 25k to build.. 2 of the 3 do have the 174" track. I have even owned a 4 stroke turbo and they run well but IMO they have too much turbo lag for my riding style. Now when wolfer gets 60"+ of blower the nytro set up with a 74 runs better than any of my non turbo sleds I currently own but I only get a few of these type of days in each year...

Every situation is different and I do my own work so I dont pay the shop rate but for me I could get a couple of new sleds and turbo my 1000 for the price of a new nytro with a turbo..

Ok I have talked sled bla bla for long enough here is some sled stoke from around CO...

Not much of a base so...

Yea no snow in colorado right now...

^^^ Sick!!

Now this question will for sure enter the "dumb question" realm but I have to ask it!!

Just drug my sled to Denver from the Western Slope. No splash guard on my trailer (yet) and even though my sled was covered it is now FILTHY with road grime and shit...it is everywhere.

I've never had a motorized toy and am unsure how to wash it/what to be careful of/if it's okay to wash it when it's 10ish degrees etc.

I was thinking that since it's in an insulated garage just taking a wet towel to it would be the best bet...but also thinking that might scratch the fuck out of it. Also, some of said grime dripped onto my ceramic pipe and it looks all crappy now. Will the staining come out or is it in there for good?

Yes, dumb question or dumbest question comes to mind when asking this but like I said, I have no clue what I'm doing and would rather not make a mistake I don't need to!

(or am I just being a hudge douche and should just realize that sleds get dirty and not to worry about it)

JJ-Take it to the car wash and spray it off.....a little water in the engine compartment won't hurt it

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    I've never had a motorized toy and am unsure how to wash it/what to be careful of/if it's okay to wash it when it's 10ish degrees etc.
    Not a jong question at all.

The main thing to be concerned about is your throttle cable(s). You want to avoid moisture getting in and freezing if at all possible.

Zip tie a baggie over the throttle and avoid direct pressure to that area.

Nice V10! Getting the hang of counter steering already! Powder sledding is comparable to powder skiing sometimes, its hard to get faceshots on the flat on skis, but they're endless on a sled. As you ride more, you'll learn to carve up and downhill in the pow on the sled, which is super fun too! Braaap.
    Thanks Nads. Feeling more and more comfortable on each outing.

All I can say is it is going to be tough to decide between the sled and snowboard on powder day.

Quote Originally Posted by AKturnanburn View Post
    go nads, are you on the blue xp or the grey one? whoever was on the blue one was slaying it bigger and smoother than everyone. looks fun but the snow looks blower, do you even ski anymore?
    Blue XP was Dan Treadway, he goes absolutely huge. I'm on the grey one, and yes, I do still ski.

So stoked, picking up an 04 Mountain Cat this week. Took it for a spin tonight, it pulls nicely.

Black Magic head
    SLP pipes
    SLP air box
    SLP powder pro skis and skid plate
    Team rapid reaction secondary
    Boss seat
    2 wheel kit
    3" handle bar riser
    Drop bracket

X-mas day on the Pemberton Ice Cap with GoNads

And a little alpenglow glacier skiing...