Page 34 of 167 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    Okay, the truck was cool.......now you're just a fuckin redneck.

And yes that looks fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Okay, the truck was cool.......now you're just a fuckin redneck.

And yes that looks fun.
    I've always been a redneck.

Hey, this is a grandpa machine, but it's so damn practical for hut access and general access here in Utah. It's quiet, doesn't stink too bad, and has a 2,000lb winch, so you're not getting stuck. I just need to gain a couple hundred pounds to fit in with the crowd who rides them.

went out today with the new sled. just boondocked around for 4.5 hours, great to get some seat time. figured out pow carving to an extent, but sidehills owned me. stoked to have the new baby out!
    i shred the gnar

anyone here had to replace the nun/bulkhead on a REV before? Tagged a rock late last season while tahoeing and bent 'er up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    I just need to gain a couple hundred pounds to fit in with the crowd who rides them.
    *vibes*

Quote Originally Posted by AKturnanburn View Post
    anyone here had to replace the nun/bulkhead on a REV before? Tagged a rock late last season while tahoeing and bent 'er up a little.
    Hee hee.

Have fun with that one. When you're done, buy a reinforcement brace.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    buy a reinforcement brace.
    theres one on there, I'm most likely gonna take it to someone as I don't have a fancy enough rivet gun.

I guess I don't get to buy a new sled for a while since I bought a new dirt bike this week. Sweet.

check out this Whistler based sled neck website:

www.joydigger.com

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post

www.joydigger.com
    Thanks for that link, some good stuff in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    I've always been a redneck.
    I resemble this statement...

theres one on there, I'm most likely gonna take it to someone as I don't have a fancy enough rivet gun.
    You can use bolts. That way in the event that it happens again, it's a lot easier.

I never bent mine but VC here did and I got to see what was involved. You can do it yourself. I don't imagine it's cheap to pay someone to do it. But hey if you've got the money.........

Total sled jong here. Thinking of getting one for me and my buddy to do some sled-skiing but having never been and never ridden two-up, is it even worth it to just have one sled (buddy is too broke to buy his own) or just a pain in the ass to get anywhere?

One sled will get two people to the bottom of a remote skin track, as long as the road isn't too difficult. A good one will get two people to the top of a ghost ride sled lap, but that usually takes a bit more skill. Two good ones will get two people up and up and up and up a sweet sled lap zone.

one good sled will get the job done anywhere 2 will (except ghost ride pitches). with a standard newer mountain sled, it mostly comes down to driver ability and snow conditions for access. Doubling on one sled is more dangerous in the event of mechanical issues while deep in the mountains, make sure to bring skins and know how to work on your chariot. If the approach is technical doubling can be a hassle though.
    Last edited by AKturnanburn; 11-23-2011 at 11:35 PM.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    yup, really wasn't all that bad, not too say it was fun though. Like kidwoo said, did it all with bolts and it has held up fine. The crankcase on the otherhand......

Quote Originally Posted by VC View Post
    yup, really wasn't all that bad, not too say it was fun though. Like kidwoo said, did it all with bolts and it has held up fine. The crankcase on the otherhand......
    So you were able to get into all the nooks with a nut and bolt? interesting, I might undertake this, did you just pull the whole engine? I'm guessing you used lock nuts and washers with short bolts just long enough? To remove rivets did you use a drill or air chisel? I was thinking there were like 30 rivets holding the frames together, maybe its less.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post

www.joydigger.com
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jo...04751896262959

forgot the facebook link

A little sled stoke for ya
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY_H8yZgBjY

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    So you were able to get into all the nooks with a nut and bolt? interesting, I might undertake this, did you just pull the whole engine? I'm guessing you used lock nuts and washers with short bolts just long enough? To remove rivets did you use a drill or air chisel? I was thinking there were like 30 rivets holding the frames together, maybe its less.
    It was a couple years ago so I'm trying to remember, but I believe I did it all with a drill and an angle grinder. Didn't have to pull the engine just everything around it.

Sorry for spamming this very important thread, but wanted to put the word out there that we've got a nice machine for sale in Oregon:

http://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/2723080705.html

It'll get you and all your friends where you want to go

Took the sled out to Vail Pass this week. Actually more fun than expected. Not a ton of snow but enjoyable to get out while on my several month recovery process.

Girlfriend says "damn we need a new snowmobile!". Wish I could justify the cost of a Summit X right now.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Took the sled out to Vail Pass this week. Actually more fun than expected. Not a ton of snow but enjoyable to get out while on my several month recovery process.

Girlfriend says "damn we need a new snowmobile!". Wish I could justify the cost of a Summit X right now.
    Snowmobiles cost stupid money.

Did you ski, or just play stump-roulette?

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Mannix View Post
    Snowmobiles cost stupid money.

Did you ski, or just play stump-roulette?

Iain
    Yep they do. Mine was cheap thankfully but it is no backcountry beast. Just drove around with the lady. She practiced riding both positions of Canadian style riding and I was just taking it easy while recovering from ruptured spleen. No skiing yet under Doctor's orders. Stupid.

Here is my 2 cents from a mechanics perspective.

Anything with a rotax 550 fan is just about bomb proof. There is a reason sleds with this engine were a rental fleet favorite. Obviously this engine doesn't kick out the power of something in the big bore liquid class. But for your average rider who just wants to get a little further from the trail head it is a solid choice. This engine comes in a variety of chassis from the Legend to the Tundra, Skandic and even the 2 up Expedition.

I advise against anything with the 2speed+Reverse transmission. They do not hold up over the long haul. This is the part on a skandic that breaks the most, and a lot of these repairs can only be done by Ski Doo. Figure 1200-$1500.

The WT and SWT ride like a friggin battle ship. The newer REV chassiss is slightly better but not by much. I have seen one indivdual ever who could carve in deep snow on a skandic, his riding style could be best desrcibed as 'hate fucking'. I assume anyone interested would be getting the pre-REV version since it would be more affordable. God help you if you ever get one stuck. By the time you figure in the all steel tunnel/skid, equipment on board and heavy wet snow packed into the suspension the pig is pushing 1000lbs Even with a winch on the back and the articulated skid more often than not the only way to get it out is to pull it from the front with another skandic or a snow cat or use a high lift jack to lift the back end and kick it over.

Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    Here is my 2 cents from a mechanics perspective.

Anything with a rotax 550 fan is just about bomb proof. There is a reason sleds with this engine were a rental fleet favorite. Obviously this engine doesn't kick out the power of something in the big bore liquid class. But for your average rider who just wants to get a little further from the trail head it is a solid choice. This engine comes in a variety of chassis from the Legend to the Tundra, Skandic and even the 2 up Expedition.

I advise against anything with the 2speed+Reverse transmission. They do not hold up over the long haul. This is the part on a skandic that breaks the most, and a lot of these repairs can only be done by Ski Doo. Figure 1200-$1500.

The WT and SWT ride like a friggin battle ship. The newer REV chassiss is slightly better but not by much. I have seen one indivdual ever who could carve in deep snow on a skandic, his riding style could be best desrcibed as 'hate fucking'. I assume anyone interested would be getting the pre-REV version since it would be more affordable. God help you if you ever get one stuck. By the time you figure in the all steel tunnel/skid, equipment on board and heavy wet snow packed into the suspension the pig is pushing 1000lbs Even with a winch on the back and the articulated skid more often than not the only way to get it out is to pull it from the front with another skandic or a snow cat or use a high lift jack to lift the back end and kick it over.
    From a mechanics perspective, what do you think about my Nun replacement? nuts and bolts instead of rivets?

Coming from a skier, I would whole heartedly disagree with your sled choice. A mountain sled works on the trails but a trail sled doesn't work in the mountains.